PDA

View Full Version : Have we seen the last of Danny D?

Mrs. Workie
10-19-2008, 11:40 AM
XQvz01OKrsA

Ohhhhhhh Danny please don't goooooo
Please don't go
Please don't go
Danny please don't goooooooo!

yellowfellow
10-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I hope he stays....in any capacity

Kevvv
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Shouldn't this be a poll?

Some said that was his last lap yesterday. We'll see. I think the man himself doesn't for sure right now, that he wants to play, but only if he can contribute and not if he risks serious injury (concussion). I hope he comes back, we're so much better with him playing.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I hope he stays....in any capacity

I think that's for sure.

Keyman
10-19-2008, 02:45 PM
He will be back with the club next year in my opinion. But I'm leaning towards him contributing on the coaching side of things, not as a player.

twistedchinaman
10-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I hope we will see him for at least a couple more games. But hey, the decision isn't ours...if he hangs 'em up and gets involved in the club, that would be absolute class.

Besides, we're not going to shove a club legend out the door. We're not Newcastle...are we? </burn on newcastle>

denime
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Hopefully not,he should stay at least one more year,and join the TFC coaching stuff.
He already has UEFA coaching license,own academy,but in my opinion he should stick with TFC Academy program and coach younger ones like U14 or U12 one day when they are formed.

Nodoubtguy
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
He'll be with the club.....as a player?? I don't think so......

bhoybobby
10-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Unless we sign better striker's, why not? He's a starter just now, I see no evidence of anything better on the horizon.

Broadview
10-19-2008, 03:40 PM
So if our "promised" DP is indeed a forward, we'll have him, Barrett, Ibbee and Dichio as forwards. Ruiz gets the boot. This will be a great group who will add significantly to TFC's Championship season of 2009.

You think Danny wants to miss that? Pffffft.

Nodoubtguy
10-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Unless we sign better striker's, why not? He's a starter just now, I see no evidence of anything better on the horizon.

I think it may have more to do with his injuries then another signing.....

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-19-2008, 03:45 PM
He looked after the match like he was saying good bye as a player lets hope he stays on at TFC in management/ youth system manager or hell, public relations,
just keep him involved somehow.

Blazer
10-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Hopefully we won’t need him because we’ll have improved so much, right?!

As a coach sure, but his best days are well behind him and him continuing on only cramps the plan in moving forward. He’s a sentimental favourite forever but how realistic is he for next year if improvement is the goal? If you’re looking for result, not a realistic at all.

rocker
10-19-2008, 03:59 PM
i think dichio would make a good sub though. it's not that he has to start, if we sign a DP striker or something. if they had DP striker + Barrett + Ibby + Dichio I think we'd be looking pretty good.

Jack
10-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Hopefully we won’t need him because we’ll have improved so much, right?!

As a coach sure, but his best days are well behind him and him continuing on only cramps the plan in moving forward. He’s a sentimental favourite forever but how realistic is he for next year if improvement is the goal? If you’re looking for result, not a realistic at all.

Well, when he's been healthy and in the lineup, TFC has been a pretty good team this season. He was out for a long stretch due to injury and then it took him a while to get his form back.

Notice when our slide started and notice when the team seemed to pick it back up.

So whether individually he's past it or not, he brings something that makes our team work.

ben_vw
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Well, when he's been healthy and in the lineup, TFC has been a pretty good team this season. He was out for a long stretch due to injury and then it took him a while to get his form back.

Notice when our slide started and notice when the team seemed to pick it back up.

So whether individually he's past it or not, he brings something that makes our team work.

It's a good point, Jack.

One thing to note, though, is that when Dichio went down injured, we were left with Cunningham, Jarrod Smith, and Ibby - hardly a lethal striking force.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aueat6a5Nfk8/340x.jpg

This doesn't exactly look like someone return to the playing field next season... :(

Jack
10-19-2008, 04:45 PM
It's a good point, Jack.

One thing to note, though, is that when Dichio went down injured, we were left with Cunningham, Jarrod Smith, and Ibby - hardly a lethal striking force.

This doesn't exactly look like someone return to the playing field next season... :(
Man...when he walked by and we were singing his song, I admit I got choked up.:o

ben_vw
10-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Man...when he walked by and we were singing his song, I admit I got choked up.:o

Time to grow a pair jack... ;)

But seriously, it was a fitting send off for the man. I guess we're left to wait.

Oh, and it was great meeting you yesterday.

yellowfellow
10-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I thought that was his last lap around the field as well. But then, what was Marshall doing behind him? Was that Marshall's last lap as well?

Back to Dichio, he demands both CB to be on him and creates lots of space for others to work with. That's the key.

ben_vw
10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I thought that was his last lap around the field as well. But then, what was Marshall doing behind him? Was that Marshall's last lap as well?

Tyrone Marshall will be 34 next month. Maybe he's thinking about heading home to Jamaica for his final one or two years.

No offense to Marshall, cause he's a class individual, but I don't think it's any secret that we'll be trying to bring in some better central defenders.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Tyrone Marshall will be 34 next month. Maybe he's thinking about heading home to Jamaica for his final one or two years.

No offense to Marshall, cause he's a class individual, but I don't think it's any secret that we'll be trying to bring in some better central defenders.

Marshall have been one of our two great denfenders Wynne being the other one...all we need to do is replace Brennan and Velez and it could be a super defence next season..Move Brennan to midfield, Velez could be used as a sub.

ben_vw
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Marshall have been one of our two great denfenders Wynne being the other one...all we need to do is replace Brennan and Velez and it could be a super defence next season..Move Brennan to midfield, Velez could be used as a sub.

I can agree with you there - I'm content with Kevin Harmse at the back as well. Aside from one or two slip ups, he's been pretty impressive in the backline.

I'd still like to see us bring in a dominant centre half - like Jimmy Conrad or Wilman Conde.

GIZ GUNNER KR
10-19-2008, 06:19 PM
its sad to see the season over. i hope danny d sticks around for one more season..coach or something

GuelphStorm2007
10-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Dichio will be back not as a player though b ut as a coach and maybe a PR guy. Similiar to what PinBall Clemons does for the Argos

Mikey
10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
As long as we don't allow Dichio to go, and keep ruiz "the traffic pylon"

NateDoGG
10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
danny will be back next year

canadian_bhoy
10-19-2008, 07:46 PM

You are worse than Michael Jackson!

Jack
10-19-2008, 08:01 PM
You are worse than Michael Jackson!

I put you in the Camel Clutch! You jabbronie!

Blizzard
10-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Dichio will be back not as a player though b ut as a coach and maybe a PR guy. Similiar to what PinBall Clemons does for the Argos

Pinball is Chief Executive Officer of the Argos.

stretchthetruth
10-19-2008, 08:17 PM
i tossed my hat when danny came by - sort of in the heat of the moment - i had to toss something, but i couldnt get my scarf untied quickly enough... anyway it found its way back over the ad boards - and then a lady stole it, and wore it out!!!!! who does that?

i think danny d will be back next year off the bench - he took a lap just in case IMHO, but i dont think he's done.

Mrs. Workie
10-19-2008, 10:21 PM

This picture makes me want to cry...:cryin:

BuSaPuNk
10-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah I think he is going to come back next year. He has been playing very well especially after recovering from the concussons. Knowning how close we were this year to getting into the playoffs, he will want to come back and be part of some success for this team.

Axeman
10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Danny D will be a hell of a coach, he'll help us to instill the physical side to our game.
But I hope he's got one more year left, Thanks Danny D.

Kurt
10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
That was definately his last lap. He walked around the pitch for like 20 minutes after the game saluting the fans and shaking hands. I cant think of a better send off though. I would feel pretty special leaving the field after hearing the supporters signing for me at the top of their lungs for 10 minutes straight.

Inswingingwingman
10-21-2008, 10:12 AM
He specifically said in a TV interview that he's NOT LEAVING or going home unless they throw him out. His decision is should he play or coach HERE.

Shaughno
10-21-2008, 10:15 AM
^^ Which if people had paid any attention to, he's been saying all along.

Boris
10-21-2008, 10:18 AM
^^ Which if people had paid any attention to, he's been saying all along.

dude...you do know who youre talking too right:rolleyes:

Shaughno
10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
I know, I know... :D

Parkdale
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
remember JYD on the Raptors? He was a fan favorite who got traded away to Chicago for one season, then came back to work in the Raps office as a community liaison or some such invented position. I'm sure they could do it with Danny D.

hell.... give him CV2's job.

rocktml
10-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a feeling he'll be back

Shaughno
10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
remember JYD on the Raptors? He was a fan favorite who got traded away to Chicago for one season, then came back to work in the Raps office as a community liaison or some such invented position. I'm sure they could do it with Danny D.

hell.... give him CV2's job.

He's said multiple times he would love to stay with the club after his playing days have ended.

Mrs. Workie
10-21-2008, 12:52 PM
But have his playing days ended?

I've no doubt he'll be with the club long past his playing days have ended. I just want one more season as a player.

And Mike, I want CV2's Job!!!

tfcmanu
10-22-2008, 09:56 AM
;)Interview with Danny Dichio on Z103.5 @ 8:30am this morning revealed that Danny Dichio will not retire and will love to come back with TFC even as a bench player, However will sit down and talk with his family then nogitiate a new contract with TFC if everything goes as planed...He loves the City Of Toronto.

As soon as link to interview is up I will post it.

Z103.5 - We would also like to thank Toronto FC striker Danny Dichio who came on the show this morning to announce he will not retire at the end of the season.

http://www.z1035.com/morning_show.php (http://www.z1035.com/morning_show.php)

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
10-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Danny D will always be The First TFC Big Dog !!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
THE MAN WHO BUILT BMO!

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/1926/130818323167a1cf3d04ix1.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Yohan
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
At least we know first number that will get retired when Dichio finally stops playing

Legend

Up The TFC
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I've just been speaking to Danny, and while I don't know for sure, I get the distinct impression he will be back next year.

And he's asked me to put the word out about The Danny Dichio Soccer School (http://www.dichio24.com/school).

If you've got children that could benefit from personal instruction from Danny, then check it out. Three courses for kids (6 to 12) start in November, and there's even one for adults (16+).

Danny runs every session and other players drop in. Emphasis is on fair play and teamwork through technical drills and games.

Also, just for fun, take a peek at the video of Danny's recent soccerfest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO7O3r3XHT8). Ricketts is a laugh. You can sign up a team for next year at Danny's site. (which might be taken as another hint per his whereabouts next year...)

TFCREDNWHITE
10-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Plus, doesn't he have his NEW website launching soon!?! Dichio TV and he's planning on coming up with his own line of clothing also...He's trying to turn the end of career into a mega-brand here in Toronto...

TFCREDNWHITE
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Dichio MEGA-BRAND!! WoW i like the idea of that!! lol

Oldtimer
10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Interview is here:

http://www.z1035.com/includes/podcasts/Oct22_Danny_Dichio.mp3

(right click to download).

Jack
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
He says he's not retiring!

Great!

flatpicker
10-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Interview is here:

http://www.z1035.com/includes/podcasts/Oct22_Danny_Dichio.mp3

(right click to download).

what is this z103 radio station?

tfcmanu
10-22-2008, 02:57 PM
what is this z103 radio station?

Do you live in the GTA..Your joking I hope.

Jack
10-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Do you live in the GTA..Your joking I hope.

I'd never heard of it before today, either.

tfcmanu
10-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I'd never heard of it before today, either.

Z103.5 BROADCASTS all TFC games on radio... play by play Tony Monaco & DJ Danny DEEEEEE. LOL :eek:

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
10-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Its the station that rocks out the hophip music Nicccceeeeee

flatpicker
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
^ ah well... That explains why I have never heard of it... I don't listen to much "hophip" you see...

Yohan
10-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Its the station that rocks out the hophip music Nicccceeeeee
generally top40 stuff but occassional 'dance' stuff

Toronto truly lacks a genuine electronic music station (long live Energy108!)

TFC Via Buffalo
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Plus, doesn't he have his NEW website launching soon!?! Dichio TV and he's planning on coming up with his own line of clothing also...He's trying to turn the end of career into a mega-brand here in Toronto...

What are you wearing?

(Whispering) Dichio

stretchthetruth
10-22-2008, 11:35 PM
dichio clothing line? we'll all be wearing it shortly... nice!

NateDoGG
10-23-2008, 12:06 AM
I got my Dichio jersey, Do you?

BuSaPuNk
10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I can just see it now. The enitre south end in DD clothing!!! lol...

Up The TFC
10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know about an entire clothing line, but Danny's got some pretty pimp-ass t-shirts made up. I'll see if I can find a picture or a place where you can get one.

nascarguy
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
mo has said on goltv extra time that he can not see danny playing next year but they will keep him on tfc Assistant Coach for Academy or tfc