PDA

View Full Version : Post-Match Thread: Chicaco @ Toronto FC

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 04:46 PM
So what are your thoughts?

I can't wait to see this team next season. Some great offensive stuff today. Probably one of the best finishes to a match this year - it was back and forth for the last 8 minutes or so.

I was also glad to see RR have a career day. No one deserves it more than that guy.

- Scott

zeelaw
10-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Ok, can some-one sup up what we need to have happen on the final weekend of games?

Angelo1405
10-18-2008, 04:48 PM
So we make the playoffs with another win right ? yes. yess....

starrynightnf
oh my god, my stomach was in my throat for most of the match. Very exciting game! Can you imagine if we kept up that kind of play next season!

kodiakTFC
Ok, can some-one sup up what we need to have happen on the final weekend of games?

a lot! Great game and it feels weird to have TFC win a game they need too. Kind of got the chills.

Batman
10-18-2008, 04:49 PM
That was probably the most entertaining match of the year.

starrynightnf
10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
yeah I agree Batman

Marc"2L"
10-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Can anybody tell me why after 10+ good passes I didn't hear a single "HEY!" after each new one.....

Dub Narcotic
10-18-2008, 04:52 PM
We've seen a lot of the worst MLS can offer, today was some of the best. Good game.

VPjr
10-18-2008, 04:53 PM
That was probably the most entertaining match of the year.

This one and the colorado match were the ONLY two home games that were truly entertaining.

I'm glad the team gave the home crowd a proper result to close the home schedule.

I promise I won't say anything negative about TFC, Mo Johnston, John Carver or anyone associated with TFC today. Today they deserve praise for a job well done.

Angelo1405
10-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Can anybody tell me why after 10+ good passes I didn't hear a single "HEY!" after each new one.....

its "OLE" and usually done winning when the game is close to the end of the 2nd half

kodiakTFC
10-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Best Possible Outcomes This Weekend:

CLB > NY
SJ > KC
HOU > LA
DAL < RSL
COL < CHV

Every game this weekend has reprecussions on us! If three of the teams with 35+ points win we are effectively out. That means KC, NY, and RSL all win; we're out!

The Kingpin
10-18-2008, 04:59 PM
enjoy.

Mojo
10-18-2008, 05:06 PM

Today:

Columbus > New York
San Jose > or = Kansas City
Houston > Los Angeles
RSL/Dallas doesn't really effect us, but RSL win is better.

Sunday 19th:

Chivas > Colorado

Thursday 23rd:

Chicago > New York

Saturday 25th:

New England > Kansas City
RSL > or = Colorado
TFC > San Jose
Houston/Chivas doesn't matter.

Sunday 26th:

Dallas and Los Angeles is confusing, we probably want Los Angeles to win this unless Dallas beats RSL, the week earlier because they will have more points regardless.
Columbus > DC.

Marc"2L"
10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
its "OLE" and usually done winning when the game is close to the end of the 2nd half

Doesn't have to be OLE my friend.

Can be anything to let the other team know just what the hell is happening.

The ONLY thing you got me on is timing. Even then, try to find another game where TFC was passing the ball like that.

Angelo1405
10-18-2008, 05:25 PM

The ONLY thing you got me on is timing. Even then, try to find another game where TFC was passing the ball like that.

ok i agree

twistedchinaman
10-18-2008, 05:30 PM
This was the best game for a good long time...albeit a nailbiter all the way to the end.

Sorta shocked at some of the empty seats...WTF!

Batman
10-18-2008, 05:49 PM
When I think about are slim/skinny/minute chance of getting to the playoffs at this point, it sure makes me wonder what would have been had be not been throwing away points at the ends of games throughout the summer.

Nerepis
10-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Hey this is Canada, we should say "Eh!" :canada:

twistedchinaman
10-18-2008, 06:49 PM
When I think about are slim/skinny/minute chance of getting to the playoffs at this point, it sure makes me wonder what would have been had be not been throwing away points at the ends of games throughout the summer.

That seemed to be a recurring theme during Nigel and Jason's call all afternoon.

Whoever said that we would rue dropping those two points against Columbus (+2), San Jose (+2), the Red Craps (+2) and Dallas (+2), coupled with the one we lost during the last game in Chitown (+1)

That alone there is 9 points...would have been more than enough to have clinched us a top 3 slot already.

But hope springs eternal ladies and gentlemen...San Jose will be the key...

King Jeff
10-18-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm a little disappointed that the delegation from the CSA sitting in Section 110 didn't get more stick today. There were about a dozen of them in suits and Soccer Canada blazers, but other than an occasional "Suit, there it is" chant, they were largely ignored.

On the pitch, a very good performance. Loved the Dichio serenade at the end -- too bad Wynne couldn't get a proper send-off (assuming it's his last home game).

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm a little disappointed that the delegation from the CSA sitting in Section 110 didn't get more stick today. There were about a dozen of them in suits and Soccer Canada blazers, but other than an occasional "Suit, there it is" chant, they were largely ignored.

On the pitch, a very good performance. Loved the Dichio serenade at the end -- too bad Wynne couldn't get a proper send-off (assuming it's his last home game).

Perhaps it didn't come across on TV, but there was a hearty "Sack the CSA" before the game from 111-113.

James Oliphant
10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I am absolutely dead fucking tired. The 15-minute "Ooooo Toronto" chant I (and others) was leading in 115 destroyed me. But it was worth it. Such a great finish to the home portion of the season.

I was proud of my section though...very proud.

morgank1986
10-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I am absolutely dead fucking tired. The 15-minute "Ooooo Toronto" chant I (and others) was leading in 115 destroyed me. But it was worth it. Such a great finish to the home portion of the season.

I was proud of my section though...very proud.

Yes, 115 was the loudest I've ever heard it today. That "Oooo Toronto" was unbelievable. 15 minutes of singing, with absolute amazement that it was carrying on that long. And then the Forza started up for a good 8 minutes after that.

James Oliphant
10-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Yes, 115 was the loudest I've ever heard it today. That "Oooo Toronto" was unbelievable. 15 minutes of singing, with absolute amazement that it was carrying on that long. And then the Forza started up for a good 8 minutes after that.
Yeah...Forza was brilliant too. Though truth be told, I was barely involved in it...I was toast after "Ooooo Toronto" (or Toronto Paokara...what are we calling that one anyway?). Me and a few other guys had to restart that one about 3 or 4 times, but it was pretty strong for most of those 15 minutes.

Were you the guys standing on the backs of your seats? I'm 6 rows back of you...row 17 seats 24-26...

sulfur
10-18-2008, 08:14 PM
We were speechless due to the fact that we've never seen TFC pass the ball that well. :yum:

James Oliphant
10-18-2008, 08:18 PM

And when the lead is comfortable.

morgank1986
10-18-2008, 08:25 PM
We were in front of the guys standing on their seats. Probably didn't get a look at us, but we had scarves tied on each wrist. I'm still kinda in awe that 1 chant was carried on for 15 minutes. And it was a really strong 15 minutes.

James Oliphant
10-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Ahhh...yeah, didn't really get to see you guys in front.

The one dude has his seat back horizontal from standing on it...I'm shocked it didn't break. :D

Good times had by all.

billyfly
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
So...who knows what happened to Flush at the end of the 1st half?

BTW - The CSA got an earful after the game as well as they walked thru BMO.

James Oliphant
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
By the way...some news to pass on about Marvell Wynne:

I have it from the press corps that Wynne was feeling fine after the match. He was taken out as a precaution, but said afterwards that he feels okay.

Keyman
10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I thought we did a really good job in 112 and 113 today, it's the best I've seen it.

For the most part, we followed the lead of the capo. But people are also figuring out that his job is to start and spread chants. They have to take a break sometimes, and we can start our own stuff. All you need is balance. There were plenty of times today where if we had something going, but the capo was going a different direction, we stopped immediately and listened. And then there were times where we started a great chant, and the capo picked it up. This is exactly how it should work.

As for flushy, he's safe and sound. I don't think speaking about that situation on a public board is very respectful without him being here. That's just my opinion though.

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, let's leave Flush to tell the story if he wants.

As for Wynne...I didn't know he had come out of the game, but now I can understand why some of the offensive punch seemed to have been taken out in the 2nd half. It's incredible how Wynne makes that much of a difference, but he does.

It was a pleasure watching him zip around the pitch in the first half. I am always left dumbstruck at his speed.

Keyman
10-18-2008, 09:49 PM
He's the most dynamic player on Toronto. I love how Carver has allowed him to really play as a fullback would in England. He's becoming much better with the ball at his feet, which allows him to actually utilize his speed in a game. Last year he would push the ball forward, but he couldn't contorl himself. He has also improved exponentially on the defensive side. His positioning is much better, and he's becoming a very strong tackler.

All I have to say is...

DONT LEAVE US!

billyfly
10-18-2008, 09:52 PM
^^Of course. Just hope that Flush is fine as he was spearheading a lot of the energy in the 1st half and then he was gone.

billyfly
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
BTW - Chad Barrett being overheard after the game having dinner with his parents:

"The guys in Chicago say they really miss me"

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 10:04 PM
^^Of course. Just hope that Flush is fine as he was spearheading a lot of the energy in the 1st half and then he was gone.

There's only onnnnnnnnne Flushie!

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 10:42 PM
I am rewatching the game.

This ref screwed up the Freeman/Segares incident. (An MLS screwing up...shocking I know).

I would LOVE to find out what the yellow to Freeman was for because the poor bastard didn't do a damn thing.

Segares and CONDE should have gotten yellows, if not a red to one of them.

Friggin' refs. At least they didn't blow this game for us. But they sure do try don't they?

twistedchinaman
10-18-2008, 10:46 PM

This ref screwed up the Freeman/Segares incident. (An MLS screwing up...shocking I know).

I would LOVE to find out what the yellow to Freeman was for because the poor bastard didn't do a damn thing.

Friggin' refs. At least they didn't blow this game for us. But they sure do try don't they?

I think they have a "Screw TFC Over" contest every year. Lucky for them they all stink at it.

Cambridge_Red
10-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Did you see the linesman trying to run over to tell the ref something and the ref completely ignoring him? It happened directly acorss from us. Everyone was yelling "look at the lineman you prick" He didnt and immediately booked both of them, Freeman got screwed.

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 10:47 PM
:banghead:

twistedchinaman
10-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Well, that's (almost) it folks -- playoffs aren't there no more, always next year...

Those of you coming to San Jose, see you there. :)

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Chicago played dirty all game long. There were elbows flying all over the place. And Blanco was doing his usual whining/bitching/flopping thing.

But WE got more cautions.

Idiots.

JonO
10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Fun game tonight. Lost my voice - wife not impressed ;)

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 11:06 PM

Segares should have gotten one yellow for the reckless elbow to Freeman's face, then ejected for pushing Freeman to the ground. Freeman shouldn't have gotten squat.

When Blanco took a dive out of bounds, after Marshall wouldn't give him the ball - literally fell to the ground to try and draw a card - I flipped out.

- Scott

james
10-18-2008, 11:12 PM
I thought we did a really good job in 112 and 113 today, it's the best I've seen it.

For the most part, we followed the lead of the capo. But people are also figuring out that his job is to start and spread chants. They have to take a break sometimes, and we can start our own stuff. All you need is balance. There were plenty of times today where if we had something going, but the capo was going a different direction, we stopped immediately and listened. And then there were times where we started a great chant, and the capo picked it up. This is exactly how it should work.

As for flushy, he's safe and sound. I don't think speaking about that situation on a public board is very respectful without him being here. That's just my opinion though.

really....i thot we were rather quiet today> There was a few moments we sounded good, but overall id say it wasn't the greatest atmosphere!

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Fun game tonight. Lost my voice - wife not impressed ;)

Great game by TFC tonight...the played for the win and thier playoff lives and got the result anyways..Lost my voice to...might be a good thing!!
Glad marvell is doing better that was a nasty block he took...Well done TFC and Beat San Jose just for the hell of it.

Donald Duck
10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
lost my voice today totally.... great great game today.... TFC play the best game out of the season today.... 1st half was the BEST.... offense, defence everything come out right.... don't even know what I can do without TFC comin up on the next 6 months.... no matter they make the playoff or not... I am sure all of us will be back to support TFC....

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Donald Duck never really had much of a voice... :noidea: ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-18-2008, 11:53 PM
lost my voice today totally.... great great game today.... TFC play the best game out of the season today.... 1st half was the BEST.... offense, defence everything come out right.... don't even know what I can do without TFC comin up on the next 6 months.... no matter they make the playoff or not... I am sure all of us will be back to support TFC....

we'll be back....2009 cant come soon enough..

Red Bulls and Wizards:hump: them

twistedchinaman
10-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Chicago played dirty all game long. There were elbows flying all over the place. And Blanco was doing his usual whining/bitching/flopping thing.

But WE got more cautions.

Idiots.

All the more reasons to hate them for, Roogsy! :D

Oblio2
10-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Great game, had a blast. Security and the Police at the end was too funny...were the expecting an invasion?

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 08:31 AM
yeah i know i was tell them your not going to stop us all

Blazer
10-19-2008, 08:41 AM
^ Yes. Last year we invaded the pitch.

Jbraun
10-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I just wanted to thank all you guys for your energy on Saturday. My daughter turned 6 and I brought her to the game and she went crazy...she loved watching you guys and she learned the Danny Dichio song and "this is our house" and sang it all the way home....she also learned a few new swear words...but she probably knew those already.
She is hooked...if Dichio stays I am getting her to shave her head in his honour next year!!!
TFC Forever

Blazer
10-19-2008, 08:49 AM
really....i thot we were rather quiet today> There was a few moments we sounded good, but overall id say it wasn't the greatest atmosphere!

Agreed. 111 was a graveyard today until the 85th.

The atmosphere seems to be drifting with this season’s plight. I hope that next year, winning will bring upon more active participation in the supporting sections that were less than impressive.

Winning and losing shouldn’t be the barometer that measures our support for this team but sadly it has been this season.

starrynightnf
10-19-2008, 09:12 AM
I just wanted to thank all you guys for your energy on Saturday. My daughter turned 6 and I brought her to the game and she went crazy...she loved watching you guys and she learned the Danny Dichio song and "this is our house" and sang it all the way home....she also learned a few new swear words...but she probably knew those already.
She is hooked...if Dichio stays I am getting her to shave her head in his honour next year!!!
TFC Forever

LOL hilarious and Sooo cute! :D

Eastend
10-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I am so pissed I missed this game. Couldn't even watch on TV as I was out of the country. Sounds like it was an awesome match to watch.....let's pray all the stars line up and we host our first playoff game in a few weeks.

The Pope
10-19-2008, 10:22 AM
I am so pissed I missed this game. Couldn't even watch on TV as I was out of the country. Sounds like it was an awesome match to watch.....let's pray all the stars line up and we host our first playoff game in a few weeks.

we were eliminated last night...so it'll have to wait till next year

Eastend
10-19-2008, 10:25 AM
^^Yeah, just saw that....sigh!!

yellowfellow
10-19-2008, 10:35 AM
NYRB should have points taken away from them. Their players used steroids!! Okay, back to reality...next year.

Keystone FC
10-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Made it home safely...barely, but I made it. I had a great time, as always, and seeing all of you again really makes this heart of mine feel better than ever.
This was the first time I had seen TFC win in person so this was a very special game for me. Hopefully I will make it up before the New Year to see all of you again but I'll have to see what the work gods have to say about it.
It's not just seeing the 'old gang' but also meeting and talking with people who I may not have had a chance to speak too that makes trips like this one so special. I guess what it comes down to is TFC can win or lose...it really doesn't matter. What matters are the people that we share a drink with before the match, stand next to during the match, and swap stories afterwards. It's because of ALL of YOU that I'm a supporter and not just a fan.
Again, thank you all for once again making this trip one for the ages.

Brooker
10-21-2008, 02:42 AM
most fun i've had since the Colorado game. got chills during the dichio song at the end of the game. beautiful. :D

i really noticed how lame 113 was, though. had guys in my row from there who migrated into 112 to have more fun. it gets worse every game.

Barbarez
10-21-2008, 06:17 AM
most fun i've had since the Colorado game. got chills during the dichio song at the end of the game. beautiful. :D

i really noticed how lame 113 was, though. had guys in my row from there who migrated into 112 to have more fun. it gets worse every game.

What are you talking about, the first row of 113 isn't lame...:rolleyes: