PDA

View Full Version : Carver's Public Statements Drive Me Absolutely Nuts

ensco
10-18-2008, 10:34 AM
This is not a "Fire Carver" thread. This is constructive criticism (I hope). But his public statements to the media are increasingly a joke.

Here's what he said in today's Sun about Barrett:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/18/7126901-sun.html

TFC coach John Carver wasn't an instant fan of Barrett when he first arrived because he felt the striker was not in match shape, but that has changed over the past month."When he first got here he could only go 60-70 minutes," Carver said. "But now that he has been training with us the past couple of months, he's in good condition and it is showing on the pitch."

First of all, most strikers who run (as opposed to being target men, or flick-on style forwards like Dichio) give everything they have and are often, correctly, subbed out after 60-70 minutes. Very, very good players get cramps in the 70th minute, especially in the summer heat.

Secondly, if TFC are so wonderful in terms of player fitness, why is it that we've blown about 7 games after 80 minutes this year?

Thirdly, why give Chicago any bulletin board material at all, for a game that is meaningless to them otherwise? This stuff about Barrett not being "match fit", I mean come on - he'd played 1,176 minutes in 16 games before coming here. There will be guys in the Chicago room who like their coach, who won't like these comments at all.

He makes inappropriate comments to the media over and over. Why not just say Barrett is doing better because he's developing chemistry with his teammates etc, and leave the bragging and slagging out of it?

I wish he'd just coach.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2008, 10:44 AM
dude, even Barrett said he was out of shape, dont think its out of order for Carver to point it out.

BigLou
10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Just enjoy the game today. Off season starts soon enough.

ensco
10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
dude, even Barrett said he was out of shape, dont think its out of order for Carver to point it out.

I would like to see that quote, if you know where it is.

Troll
10-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't see the big deal... then again I've never been a Negative Nancy either.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I would like to see that quote, if you know where it is.

for sure, ill see if i can find it right now, i remember seeing it several times in previous articles

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2008, 11:00 AM
i think there might be an interview on TFC tv too, its where hes talking about how he wasnt match fit when he came over and Winspers getting him fit as well as how hes trying to find a diet that wont leave him so dehydrated on the field

Broadview
10-18-2008, 11:08 AM
^^I remember reading that and seeing that on TFCTV as well, but I ain't digging it up :)

sweetlemon69
10-18-2008, 11:16 AM
it's on tfc tv.

and good strikers getting cramps around 70 minutes? seriously?

This quote by carver is standard among coaches about players.

rocker
10-18-2008, 11:18 AM
barrett has commented many times on his having cramping problems in Shitcago and learning a lot from Paul Winsper. not sure if that's the same as "match fit". seems he's had a long term problem with this.

ensco
10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Even if Barrett said it, it's the bragging (in the face of our problems late in games) and the rubbing Chicago's noses in it, that bugs me.

Looks like no one else sees it this way though.

colman1860
10-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I find it refreshing that Carver actually says it like it is. There is usually no point (especially in North American sports) in watching interviews, because the coaches/players just spew out the standard cliches (just gotta take it one game at a time, etc).

Richard D
10-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Not even our streakers (yes streakers) can make it across the field before getting gassed and then tackled by security...

Must be all the lead in our toys or something...

sully
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM
TFC coach John Carver wasn't an instant fan of Barrett when he first arrived because he felt the striker was not in match shape, but that has changed over the past month."When he first got here he could only go 60-70 minutes," Carver said. "But now that he has been training with us the past couple of months, he's in good condition and it is showing on the pitch."

There's nothing disrespectful there..

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 12:30 PM
If you look in the TFC/MLS news forum, I'm pretty sure the story was posted there, where Barrett talked about his cramping problem. Said it was a problem with his diet, but that Winsper was helping immensely.

- Scott

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
10-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Not even our streakers (yes streakers) can make it across the field before getting gassed and then tackled by security...

Must be all the lead in our toys or something...

or the mellamine;)

Pachuco
10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Not a fan of Carver, but I have no idea what's wrong with that quote. It's not secret barrett was out of shape when he came here.

Jeffro
10-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Jesus, people will cry about anything on this board

James Oliphant
10-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Even if Barrett said it, it's the bragging (in the face of our problems late in games) and the rubbing Chicago's noses in it, that bugs me.

You're right..no one else sees it that way. I don't see one word about Chicago in there, positive or negative. No nose-rubbing, no bragging...

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 08:00 PM

I'm confused. What is he bragging about?

- Scott

ben_vw
10-18-2008, 08:02 PM

QFT!

Axeman
10-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I think Barrett has been a different player the last few games with us and it seems conditioning had alot to do with it, to me anyway.

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 08:18 PM
I think Barrett has been a different player the last few games with us and it seems conditioning had alot to do with it, to me anyway.

I agree. I also think the coaching here is a little better, on all levels. They seem to have reigned in his overpowered misfires quite a bit.

- Scott

James Oliphant
10-18-2008, 08:19 PM
It's amazing to watch him warm up too...he's got an absolute cannon of a shot.

icecoldbeer
10-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Took the words off my finger tips!

Cambridge_Red
10-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah... Lets just remember today for the good things. I think maybe you're looking way too deep into this one.

giambac
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
This is not a "Fire Carver" thread. This is constructive criticism (I hope). But his public statements to the media are increasingly a joke.

Here's what he said in today's Sun about Barrett:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/18/7126901-sun.html

First of all, most strikers who run (as opposed to being target men, or flick-on style forwards like Dichio) give everything they have and are often, correctly, subbed out after 60-70 minutes. Very, very good players get cramps in the 70th minute, especially in the summer heat.

Secondly, if TFC are so wonderful in terms of player fitness, why is it that we've blown about 7 games after 80 minutes this year?

Thirdly, why give Chicago any bulletin board material at all, for a game that is meaningless to them otherwise? This stuff about Barrett not being "match fit", I mean come on - he'd played 1,176 minutes in 16 games before coming here. There will be guys in the Chicago room who like their coach, who won't like these comments at all.

He makes inappropriate comments to the media over and over. Why not just say Barrett is doing better because he's developing chemistry with his teammates etc, and leave the bragging and slagging out of it?

I wish he'd just coach.

Only think I have to say to carver is toi look in the mirror.

You want to talk about being out of sahpe!!!!:cool:

I mean the guy is a coach of the socer team and he looks like he has had one to many dougnuts since arriving to Canada. Maybe he is apart owner in a Tim Horton's franchise:yum:

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 09:11 PM
^Wow...and Sigi Schmid is the personification of health!

What does the coach's fitness have to do with anything? Did Scotty Bowman lose weight at ANY point while winning Stanley Cups???

We knew this a long time ago...but you have really lost ALL credibility on this board.

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 09:55 PM

I mean the guy is a coach of the socer team and he looks like he has had one to many dougnuts since arriving to Canada. Maybe he is apart owner in a Tim Horton's franchise:yum:

Carver isn't paid to play football. He's paid to coach.

You're really grasping at straws for a reason to complain about the team tonight. I mean, fat jokes about Carver? Weak.

- Scott

Keyman
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
LOL
I've blocked that guy, so I don't see his posts. But thankfully I was able to see that gem of a post through someones quote.

Cambridge_Red
10-18-2008, 10:06 PM
LOL thought you were quoting me Roogsy! Ive had that "person" on block for like 3 months now :D

Roogsy
10-18-2008, 10:08 PM
LOL!

You must've been scratching your head...

*What's Roogsy on tonight???*

Cambridge_Red
10-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Haha yeah exactly. I guess you cant block him for moderator reasons.. you poor bastard :D

james
10-18-2008, 11:17 PM
so what, maybe Barett wasn't in the best shape. And Carver says hes very pleased with him now!

Blizzard
10-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by giambac
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=231374#post231374)

Ya, well, at least with Carver it's only a physical problem unlike a certain poster I can think of.

B

Sonny Cheeba
10-19-2008, 12:54 AM
what a bunch of shit. this thread sucks. carver wasn't being disrespectful, and it was no secret that barrett was out of shape when we got him.

he's good now, carver likes him. leave it at that.

crap.

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 01:03 AM

yeah i know the non member parts of this form is starting to become a joke. stop now this is why some poeple stop useing the form all togethere mod shut post down

Benficachop20
10-19-2008, 01:59 AM
I really don't see anything wrong with wat Carver said. He's just basically telling the truth, Barrett also talked about his cramps.

druid
10-19-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm not a Carver fan but unless he said something like the Fire coaching staff are shit, they were destroying Barrett's career, etc... I don't see how this could be cause for complaint.