PDA

View Full Version : epl retirement league for mls stars...

bignickel
10-17-2008, 07:17 PM
tsn reporting that beckham is contemplating a move to the u.k.
yeah, i guess we're done with him, he's getting a little old for this league. let them have him.

mods erase if already posted.

flatpicker
10-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I would be annoyed if its true...
It goes against everything he has said in the past about not returning to UK to play, not to mention backing out on his commitment to LA.
Unless he's gonna retire, then that's another matter...

tfc_4_ever
10-17-2008, 07:39 PM
huuuhhhh

Lucky Strike
10-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I've seen articles on it: the move would be temporary (a loan most likely) during the MLS off-season. The idea is for him to maintain game shape through the European season so as to be considered for the national team. It's all good, all logical.

RedRum
10-17-2008, 08:42 PM
You can shove your David Beckham your ass!!!

This is good because

1) Pro scalpers will be less likely to renew their tickets.

2) Dregs of life that call themselves supporters yet think it's ok to charge a fellow supporter their first born child for this game will be SOL too.

3) We wont have to listen to the high-pitched girly screams on TV every time he touches the ball.

4) Landycakes, with no one to feed him the ball will be exposed as the overated waste of human life that he is.

5) Supporters wont be duped into buying 10 Marlies tickets for "the Beckham Game" that he was never going to appear in anyway.

Technorgasm
10-17-2008, 09:02 PM
He came, bigged up our league. . brought his circus, waved his lil hat. . . good riddance.

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I've seen articles on it: the move would be temporary (a loan most likely) during the MLS off-season. The idea is for him to maintain game shape through the European season so as to be considered for the national team. It's all good, all logical.

Indeed. I've also read that Arsenal is the team he's talking about potentially signing for.

But even if he did leave MLS, he's done great things for our league.

- Scott

King Jeff
10-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Indeed. I've also read that Arsenal is the team he's talking about potentially signing for.

I can't see that happening. They mentioned Villa on some podcast I was listening to last week; that seems slightly more realistic.

dclaro
10-18-2008, 06:41 PM
probably due to the mess LA management has, im guessing the LA locker room isn't in exactly a good spirit

Shakes McQueen
10-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I can't see that happening. They mentioned Villa on some podcast I was listening to last week; that seems slightly more realistic.

Beckham keeps in shape by training with Arsenal during the off-season, and Wenger was looking for a controlling midfielder during the transfer period (never signed one).

- Scott

Dirk Diggler
10-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't really mind him going back to the EPL on a permanent basis. I mean there really isn't anything else he can do to promote this league further ... the hype surrounding him was obviously decreasing every passing week. Maybe this was part of the plan in the first place ... stay here for a couple of season and head on back afterwards.

Vindaloo
10-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Apparently Beckham can't be on loan to a Premiership club for first-team play due to the transfer window rules set out by the Premier League. Any loan for a player from abroad has to run when the window opens in Jan til June. Obviously LA wouldn't allow this.

So this leaves European clubs to be loaned to or else it's just training with Arsenal. Since Beckham wants to continue playing for England and Capello wants him to be playing first team football to make the squad, regular team play with a European club would make more sense.

Christoff
10-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Beckham only trained with Arsenal for 3 weeks in Jan, it wasnt an on-going thing.
If he leaves, ill laugh, it will just prove even more so that MLS is not top qaulity, i mean having a player come here, then leave because the play is so poor, if he stays he might not be able to make it on the national team? that just says shit league.

Shakes McQueen
10-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Beckham only trained with Arsenal for 3 weeks in Jan, it wasnt an on-going thing.
If he leaves, ill laugh, it will just prove even more so that MLS is not top qaulity, i mean having a player come here, then leave because the play is so poor, if he stays he might not be able to make it on the national team? that just says shit league.

The TSN news bit about it stated he was rumoured to be in talks with Arsenal specifically.

- Scott

Christoff
10-19-2008, 12:50 AM
never said he wasnt going to Arsenal, just making the point that he was only there for 3 weeks, and wasnt training with them for the full off-season.
Ive heard reports of him going to Villa, Arsenal(same TSN thing you are talking about most likely, aswell as reports of him staying put! for the most part I dont really follow this type of story because i dont see a point in the speculation, even more so when i dont really care about the results.

- Chris

Shakes McQueen
10-19-2008, 01:02 AM
I don't follow Becksy's current team enough to know exactly what kind of form the guy is in now, so I don't know if I'd even like him to join my Gunners. I know he stood out at the MLS All-Star game, but... well... not a lot of genuine competition for a David Beckham, even in off-form.

Personally, I hope he stays in MLS. He still raises the profile of the league, and brings in lots of casual football fans everywhere he plays, which only helps create new MLS fans.

He has been a great ambassador for the league, as much as I hate the media circus that follows him.

- Scott

Axeman
10-19-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't follow Becksy's current team enough to know exactly what kind of form the guy is in now, so I don't know if I'd even like him to join my Gunners. I know he stood out at the MLS All-Star game, but... well... not a lot of genuine competition for a David Beckham, even in off-form.

Personally, I hope he stays in MLS. He still raises the profile of the league, and brings in lots of casual football fans everywhere he plays, which only helps create new MLS fans.

He has been a great ambassador for the league, as much as I hate the media circus that follows him.

- Scott
Agreed.
I also think having a player like him come over openned alot of doors for other players, not just by having a high profile guy like him play here but by helping to show the league is getting better and giving MLS a better reputation world-wide.
I'm thankful for however long he plays here.

weeskunner57
10-19-2008, 01:24 AM
what's worse is that he's about to equal Sir Bobby's caps......

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Beckham sucks at la he does not get the support from the players that he needs to be great

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Specualtion is rife so I might as well add he will probably choose to make London his home. Chelski-no. Gooners- do they need him? Spurs- poor Bentley x2. West Ham- his local but doubtful it's big enough. We shall see. It's clear LA isn't big enough and America has decided he's a model that can't make the difference in that fringe sport.

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 01:34 PM
he has a 5 year deal with mls and I hear he wants to be a part owner in a team in the down south.

Canadian Blue
10-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I would like him to stay in the MLS but he should defo leave the Galaxy.....they are crap but unfortunately his academy shares the facilities.

AL-MO
10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
I could care less. I saw him play at the ASG so I am happy. I am going to sell my Galaxy tickets next year anyways.

Sonny Cheeba
10-19-2008, 09:28 PM
according to MLS rumors he's supposed to be training with AC Milan in January, and that it is confirmed in some Italian Newspaper.

I could see this happening. Posh Spice would like Milan.

Vindaloo
10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
He's going to want to get first team action if he wants in the England squad. Capello has said as much so just training isn't going to cut it. I think we'll see him playing somewhere.

edit. milan rumours and quotes.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jHVkCgM_M1c4ZIZ-mIW8M8-513Nw

Beckham may stay in Europe after training with Milan to play either in Italy or Spain even though he has three years left on his contract with the Galaxy, Gazzetta(newspaper) said without citing sources.

"Ancelotti and I will be waiting for Beckham at Milanello," Milan vice president Adriano Galliani told Gazzetta referring to his team's training grounds. "You all want to know if we will buy him? We'll talk about that in the future."