PDA

View Full Version : Soccer show from Oct. 16th-Lot's of TFC Stuff

v00d00daddy
10-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Just dropping in to let you know about this.
http://www.fan590.com/onair/soccer/media.jsp?content=20081016_234617_23696 (http://www.fan590.com/onair/soccer/m...6_234617_23696)

It was on live last night at 1 am. Paul Beirne was on talking with Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci.

Beginning is CMNT stuff, then it's all TFC related.

They talk about the CMNT, MLS expansion, and TFC's performance this year and season ticket renewels.

Bob Iarusci asks some pretty tough questions of Paul Beirne about the product on the field vs. the renewal of seasons tickets.

Beirne also says that TFC are not out of the playoff race. I got the impression that it's all about making money. Beirne says that you have to build a winner slowly. I think it's more that moving slowly ensures that they can maximize their earning potential. That may be me being cynical cause of the bad year.

Beirne also explains that the any available new seasons tickets will be split somehow between current season ticket holders who want more, and people on general public waiting list. (which he says has grown from 9000 to 13000....wowzers)

I wanted to give Beirne a chance but then they started talking about MLS expansion and it was obvious that this guy is not a soccer guy. He knew nothing about the prospective MLS bids.

Iarusci can be a bit of a prick with his delivery but I think, essentially, he is right.

mlsintoronto
10-17-2008, 05:46 PM
oooooh that hurts man.....at least you spelled my name right.

and.....you're probably right. i don't know much about soccer. although 'not knowing about the prospective mls bids' has nothing to do with my lack of soccer knowledge.

TorCanSoc
10-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Is Iarusci as big an idiot in person as he is on air?

TorCanSoc
10-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Thread ending question. :)

Marco2K
10-17-2008, 06:01 PM
MLSINTORONTO.

Will TORONTO HAVE A DP NEXT YEAR?

YES OR NO?

flatpicker
10-17-2008, 06:04 PM
^ the DP will come in the mail with your season ticket package...

gotta admit... it's better than a scarf!

SLBuu
10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
thx.... listening to it now

VPjr
10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Is Iarusci as big an idiot in person as he is on air?

Bobby is one of the nicest people you could ever get to know. I'm going to admit a bias because I consider Bobby a friend but trust me, we need more Bobby Iasrusci's, not less.

he is passionate about the SPORT of soccer and is passionate about this city and this country...people like Paul, Mo, JC or some CSA type cant expect a free ride when they speak to him and Nigel on the show...He will try to keep people accountable and ask them tough questions...Somebody's got to because lord knows the newspaper guys don't and the TV guys definitely dont. Unlike most of us, Bob played soccer at the highest level. He knows the difference between quality and crap. It's clear by his questions what he thinks of the TFC product. I share his criticisms because the product has been crap (I'm talking to you Paul), and no matter what TFC head office can say to justify it, the team has been crap this year (not withstanding a couple of decent games early in the season and a couple of decent games the last 2-3 weeks). The fact TFC is still barely in a playoff race has more to do with the fact so many other teams in the league are equally crap. That's the "beauty" of MLS' parity plan...everyone can suck and no one gets exposed for sucking because everyone else sucks as bad as you, keeping you "in the race".

Bob might not be the "smoothest" broadcaster (because he's not a trained broadcaster) but he should be considered a friend of TFC fans, not a foe, because he wants the same thing as you...a winning TFC.

rocker
10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
bob's annoying because he can't think outside his little box. if it doesn't fit that box, it's not worthy of discussion. there's no middle ground with him. Nigel makes some great points but then he just shuts that out.
Nigel totally silenced him with that comment about "well, you renewed your tickets."

el rojo fanatico
10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Bob has been getting better the more shows he gets under his belt. I'm starting to like the way Nigel and Bob bicker and play off each other.

Sonny Cheeba
10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Bob said Harmes and Poz can play better than the "hot shots from over seas" he's right, but poz plays overseas.

flatpicker
10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
just finished listening
I thought Paul did a fine job... he answered the questions well, and with the expected amount of non-specifics one in his position would deliver in an interview.
Bob may have been a little pushy... but I don't have issues with that.

SLBuu
10-17-2008, 07:14 PM
i thought Bob asked the questions that needed to be asked. This is a proffesional sports team ands its about time someone in the media started treating it like one when talking to people in the FO.

v00d00daddy
10-17-2008, 07:15 PM
oooooh that hurts man.....at least you spelled my name right.

and.....you're probably right. i don't know much about soccer. although 'not knowing about the prospective mls bids' has nothing to do with my lack of soccer knowledge.

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. Just saying what I thought. I'm also gonna have to disagree with you about the prospective MLS bids. Agree to disagree I guess.

v00d00daddy
10-17-2008, 07:19 PM
bob's annoying because he can't think outside his little box. if it doesn't fit that box, it's not worthy of discussion. there's no middle ground with him. Nigel makes some great points but then he just shuts that out.
Nigel totally silenced him with that comment about "well, you renewed your tickets."

That's a pretty broad statement that you're making. What is Bob's little box of ideas?

Nigel makes the same points that a lot of other people make. Guess what. So does Bob.

Some people are happy with the quality of the team, and others are not. Plain and simple.

So tell me. What did Iarusci say that was out of place?

Blizzard
10-17-2008, 09:20 PM
That's a pretty broad statement that you're making. What is Bob's little box of ideas?

Nigel makes the same points that a lot of other people make. Guess what. So does Bob.

Some people are happy with the quality of the team, and others are not. Plain and simple.

So tell me. What did Iarusci say that was out of place?

I don't think that anybody is actually "happy" with the quality of the team. It's all a matter of perspective. Some are more patient than others.

J .
10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
For many games TFC has underperformed. Raising prices, well not shocked.

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I still can not get this http://www.fan590.com/onair/soccer/m...6_234617_23696
to play for me