PDA

View Full Version : Silvestre eventually to MLS

werewolf
10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=580131&sec=england&root=england&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2&cc=5901

"I would like to play in America one day. So If I have still got some energy after my Arsenal career I'll carry on over there. But I don't want to go over there and just wear the shirt. I want to play well and do well in America."

Shaughno
10-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Good for him. Solid defender, never flashy, but prone to stupid mistakes at times. He would do well, even late in his career, here in the MLS.

Cashcleaner
10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Is there something going on with MLS that we don't know about? I only ask because at times it seems a group of retarded jackals are in charge of this league and I have a hard time believing any serious footballer would ever consider a move to N. America to play here. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these players are showing interest - but what do they see that we don't?

Shaughno
10-17-2008, 10:58 AM
AMERICA

That's what they see.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Caught that, he'd be a dope signing.
Wonder if he'd be a DP?
Doesnt necessarily look that way as he says he wants to actually play...

Shaughno
10-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Definitely not DP imo.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-17-2008, 11:19 AM
NASL all over again.

The higher the salary cap goes the more we are going to get guys who "want to end their career in North America".

Twilight glory…fuck 'em!

Sonny Cheeba
10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
NASL all over again.

The higher the salary cap goes the more we are going to get guys who "want to end their career in North America".

Twilight glory…fuck 'em!

yes MLS is a league that develops players who want to go to europe, and accept those awfully close to retirement, who are looking for a kickaboot. isn't it great?

flatpicker
10-17-2008, 11:53 AM
^ it's to be expected during this early development period of MLS.

As the league grows (hopefully) we will see more young talent staying and more good overseas talent coming in.

Let's face it... it's not the fault of MLS... that just the way it goes when you aren't the big kid on the block.

It would be the same for lower division clubs in England.
I know for a fact that Bristol Rovers have had lots of quality players develop in their system only to move on to bigger clubs with more money.

Shaughno
10-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Another thing to think about for those seeing only the 'retirement' aspect.

As some seasoned, nearing retirement but still quality players come over. They bring the overall quality of the league up. Which in turn, should help keeping the more talented kids here (along with higher salaries anyway). Also, if you get people like Henry, Silvestre and Ljungberg coming into the league I'd expect some of the younger players would love the chance to play with or against these players.

With the Cap in place, there isn't any real chance of it becoming the next NASL, so why not just enjoy any quality that is injected into the league?

Yohan
10-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Until I hear of actual signings, rumours and interviews means shit IMO. Deeds, not words

Canadian Blue
10-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Definitely not DP imo.

......+1

Oldtimer
10-17-2008, 01:26 PM
yes MLS is a league that develops players who want to go to europe, and accept those awfully close to retirement, who are looking for a kickaboot. isn't it great?

This is not that unusual these days.
For example, the Dutch league now has the same issues.
Young players leave for richer leagues. Older players come back after making their fortunes.

This will always be the case in North America unless we grow to the point where EPL/SPL/Serie A money is paid to players over here.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-17-2008, 03:25 PM
With the Cap in place, there isn't any real chance of it becoming the next NASL, so why not just enjoy any quality that is injected into the league?

Keyword is quality.

coisty1966
10-19-2008, 09:49 AM
yes MLS is a league that develops players who want to go to europe

yeah unfortunately thats the reality. Not unlike most leagues in europe however....Dutch and Portugese league for example....these are all just developmental leagues...as soon as players get good they are all off to either spain,england, germany or italy....its just not the mls in this predicament. Its every league but the big four....thats where the prestige and big dollars are so i cant see this changing anytime soon

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2008, 09:55 AM
it's a better situation than most. MLS may be another selling league but they have the DP rule to buy back as well. If it wasn't based where it is a league of this size and age wouldn't have the benifit of seeing great players twice in their careers.

Shaughno
10-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Keyword is quality.

Silvestre is still a better defender than oh... 95% of the MLS defenders ;)