PDA

View Full Version : MLS Sceduling Issue (yes another one)

canadian_bhoy
10-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Just looking at the schedule for the weekend and notice that most matches are starting at different times tomorrow.

Now - I know making the schedule is a nightmare and you have to factor in time-zones etc. But I think it should be a concern that teams playing in matches that have implications on other teams playoff chances should be played at the same time.

I don't think it is an issue now, but I'm sure you will all recall WC matches where teams have simply passed the ball around for the last 5 mins knowing the other result and being happy with a draw.

If anyone in this league cared about the supporters shield (and they SHOULD) it could become a huge issue in years to come.

Thoughts?

Parkdale
10-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Thoughts?

it's not the world cup. It's a small league on a continent that doesn't really care about the sport. The stakes are MUCH lower, and I just can't see people playing that kind of game. Besides, a defence like Italy can just kill the clock in an effective manner, I don't think any MLS team can do it without potentially allowing a mistake. The game is different. The second an MLS team stops playing to win, they will lose.

*agreed that games should - in a perfect world be scheduled better, but I think it's of very minor consequence compared to the mistakes of going against national team games etc.

Azerban
10-17-2008, 08:44 AM
The second an MLS team stops playing to win, they will lose.

oh this is so very true

giambac
10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Just looking at the schedule for the weekend and notice that most matches are starting at different times tomorrow.

Now - I know making the schedule is a nightmare and you have to factor in time-zones etc. But I think it should be a concern that teams playing in matches that have implications on other teams playoff chances should be played at the same time.

I don't think it is an issue now, but I'm sure you will all recall WC matches where teams have simply passed the ball around for the last 5 mins knowing the other result and being happy with a draw.

If anyone in this league cared about the supporters shield (and they SHOULD) it could become a huge issue in years to come.

Thoughts?

The MLS is a minor league compared to the WC leagues with alot less at stake. Besides half the players probaly aren't smart enough to figure out what results would be required to get them thru.

I see this as another complaint just for the sake of complaining. That's what this forum has become. Complaints and excuses.

Boris
10-17-2008, 09:54 AM
and you giambac are at the top of the list....

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
:rofl:

Oh the ironing is SO delicious...

canadian_bhoy
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
The MLS is a minor league compared to the WC leagues with alot less at stake. Besides half the players probaly aren't smart enough to figure out what results would be required to get them thru.

I see this as another complaint just for the sake of complaining. That's what this forum has become. Complaints and excuses.

Wait .... isn't that a complaint?

TFC Via Buffalo
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I'll claim ignorance on this if this is true. In other countries, do they switch the game times if the games have late season points/league standings implications?

If not, what the hell is the complaint? No league in North America switches game times to make sure another team doesn't tank their game. If it's a Euro thing, then ok, I can understand the frustration. But if not, there really is no point to make MLS the first league in the world to do this.

giambac
10-17-2008, 10:43 AM
and you giambac are at the top of the list....

Absolutely,

I do come on here and argue or complain whatever you want to call it. That's because guys like you come on here after a defeat and say it's the ref's fault and there is a league wide conspiracy against this team. Other people come on here after 1 win in 4 months and say John Carver is the best thing that happened to this city and we should give him a key to the city. Others come on here and blame the scheduling for our problems, others come on here and blame the turf.

Like I said this forum is about complaints and excuses. I come on here and have been consistent. Stop with the complaints about the refs, the schedules etc and talk reality. This team was dead last in 07 and could well be dead last this season. Talk about the real issues, and that is that the team lacks quality players and a quality coach and manaager and that's the reason why it will miss the playoffs again. :eek:

Boris
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
guys like me?
i dont get involved in those arguments as they are as useful as your complaints.

Fort York Redcoat
10-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I hope this scedule becomes a problem. At this point most of the people in the game still look at playoffs and MLS cup being the big show. The Crew boss was saying they won the league earlier this week but that he's not gonna get distracted from winning the end of season tournament. Good start.

Nazzer
10-17-2008, 10:27 PM
I'll claim ignorance on this if this is true. In other countries, do they switch the game times if the games have late season points/league standings implications?

In at least the top four leagues in England last games are played on the same day at the exact same starting time. I think it might even be the last two weeks. I'd bet that most leagues in Europe do this.

BigLou
10-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I cant understand why everyone is arguing.....I guess I cant see the offending posts for some reason.....huh

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 08:41 AM
next season is going to be alot hard more fifa match days then this year

druid
10-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Easy solution:

Get rid of the playoffs. ;)

Inswingingwingman
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I watched 2 games on TV at a pub and it was obvious that they were synchronizing the starts, I head they did it for all premiership games. The ball drop was at the exact same time.

MLS, well they have some stuff to learn, and evolution takes time.

I think there should be an official complaints thread with sub threads about refs, mls, managers, coaches, players and other sections of the stadium. And of course the Mandatory Red Bulls are shite thread.

The LCBO, MLS complaint threads should be a hit. Landycakes deserves his own pink thread, and then we need to figure out how to manage the Soccer specific pitch complaint thread, the grass/fieldturf complaint thread, and the streamers complaint thread. Don't forget the CBC/Country Canada/Bold complaint thread, the announcer's complaint thread and the Toronto Star has a lame blog thread.

The CSA complaint thread will be popular.

Oh and figure out how to put the "I met Mo, the Mayor, JC, Mo Edu, a midget wrestler who's brother plays for the Honduran B team who told me that TFC is going to get it's own roof paid for by Dolt-ton McGuinty.

Actually I didn't meet the French President and he told me squat about french players coming to TFC as DP, but If I did it would have been intersting.

Can I complain about the ..never mind.

Roogsy
10-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Funny that there are people that claim this forum has become nothing but complaints.

And yet there is a continegent of people that claim this is nothing but a chearleaders board.

I think what it proves is that people will accuse us of practically anything, none of which is actually substantiated.

And all of them can go roll around in the mud of Big Soccer for all I care.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-19-2008, 03:58 PM

If not, what the hell is the complaint? No league in North America switches game times to make sure another team doesn't tank their game. If it's a Euro thing, then ok, I can understand the frustration. But if not, there really is no point to make MLS the first league in the world to do this.

in the world cup and euro championships the later group stage games all start at the same time so the other teams don;'t know whats happening.
but with cell phones and other advances it makes it worthless to do this.
gmaes times in MLS more often have to do with tv contracts, stadium rentals, etc. Would Like to see MLS have all weekend games start aornd the same time but thats not going to happen. theire first major priority should be getting in line with the fifa int'l dates.