PDA

View Full Version : steroid use suspension

rocker
10-16-2008, 04:06 PM
from steve Goff.... two red bulls got caught!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/10/conway_parke_suspended_fined_f.html

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced today that he has suspended and fined New York Red Bulls players Jon Conway and Jeff Parke for violating the MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health (SABH) Policy

Boris
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
from steve Goff.... two red bulls got caught!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/10/conway_parke_suspended_fined_f.html

well red bulls give you wings....eh...EHHHH...i at least deserve a point...:cool:

rocker
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
hahah. good one

Lucky Strike
10-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Wow! Suspended for 1/3 of a season! Yikes! 10 dollars says they'll come out and say it was accidental, that they didn't know what they were taking had banned substances in it.

rocker
10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
red bulls defence just got even worse... their best defender PLUS their starting keeper.

zeelaw
10-16-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=916212

Thursday afternoon, Major League Soccer announced that two players from the New York Red Bulls, goalkeeper Jon Conway and defender Jeff Parke, have been suspended effective immediately after testing positive for the performance-enhancing substances androstatriendione (ATD) and boldenone metabolites.

Both Conway and Parke received 10-game bans, including regular season and playoff games. They have also been fined 10% of their annual salary. For Conway, this comes out to $11,500; for Parke, it works out to roughly $5,750.

“MLS has one of the strictest drug policies in professional sports and holds its athletes both responsible and accountable for what they put into their bodies,” Garber said. “This is an important statement as to the high standards to which we hold our players.”

This marks the first performance-enhancing case for Major League Soccer in its 13 years in operation.

According to the league, the two players took an over-the-counter nutritional supplement that contained ATD, a substance that metabolizes into boldenone. Both ATD and boldenone are under MLS’s “Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health” policy.

Until now, Conway, an eight-year MLS veteran, had started all 28 league matches for the Red Bulls, posting 9-10-9 record with a 1.5 goals-against average. Parke, the final draft pick in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft, had started 23 matches this season, and was fourth on the team in minutes played.

The Red Bulls are currently in 5th place in the Eastern Conference and holding on to the final wildcard spot. They face the Columbus Crew on Saturday night at Giants Stadium.

werewolf
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Shite!

rocker
10-16-2008, 04:45 PM
can't wait until the next time Conway and Parke are at BMO and we can whip out the steroid chants.

werewolf
10-16-2008, 04:47 PM
^ I tried to start it once for Xavier, but people were only interested in a player on the bench...now he is gone...

I think we need a Steroid TIFO for behind the net.

joel
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
You think these guys would be smart enough to look into the supplements they were buying..

MG42
10-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow, Garber made a big statement here...no other pro league in North America would suspend someone for 1/3 of the season for a first offence (that I know of anyway)...and since it's the Shite Bulls, it's even better :)

werewolf
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow, Garber made a big statement here...no other pro league in North America would suspend someone for 1/3 of the season for a first offence (that I know of anyway)...and since it's the Shite Bulls, it's even better :)

NFL is 4 games (25%) and MLB is 50 Games (30%)

Toronto_Bhoy
10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Good find Rocker…glad to see MLS making a statement with reasonably large suspensions.

gtaguy
10-16-2008, 06:13 PM
You think these guys would be smart enough to look into the supplements they were buying..

or atleast consult someone that might know about what goes into these products..
This is there livelyhood .. I actually feel bad for these guys...
would anyone on these board recognize a bad substance from a good one ??

flatpicker
10-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I will say that I also feel kinda bad for these guys...
It's not like they slipped an envelope of cash to someone in an alley for the steroids.
The got it at a health food store!

It must be somewhat confusing in the sports business.
I would think every team has someone that instructs players on what exactly they are allowed to consume.

tfc2007
10-16-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/10/16/MLS-Drug-Suspensi-0/

MG42
10-16-2008, 08:09 PM
NFL is 4 games (25%) and MLB is 50 Games (30%)

MLS leads the pack! :)

Azerban
10-17-2008, 08:47 AM
It must be somewhat confusing in the sports business.
I would think every team has someone that instructs players on what exactly they are allowed to consume.

if a 15 year old girls swim team has someone who instructs them on what is permissible to take and what isn't and constantly monitors their waterbottles for tampering i'm sure a professional men's soccer team do too

that said HAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU ASSHOLES

brad
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM

Or ask your coaching staff before taking anything.

It's pretty well know that a number of over the counter products (not just supplements, but cold medications, ect) can contain substances that are controlled.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-17-2008, 10:15 AM
SHITEBULLS should be deducted POINTS for this!!! :).....

anything for our boys to get into the playoffs..!! :)

Mark in Ottawa
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/16/mls-drugs-suspensions.html

The drugs got into the players' systems after they purchased and used an over-the-counter nutritional supplement from a vitamin store that is part of a national chain, the league said.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
what people put in their bodies should be up to them and not have to face judgement by league suspensions...

nascarguy
10-17-2008, 03:58 PM
yes they sould be judgement by league or who ever is paying them

rocker
10-17-2008, 04:53 PM
what people put in their bodies should be up to them and not have to face judgement by league suspensions...

personally i think it's too dangerous to let that happen. it creates a class of players using banned substances and gaining financially from it. the clean players are then possibility sucked into that group, or else they face a competitive disadvantage. All for what? to make some extra money yet face health issues years down the road.

since many of these substances are banned by the government, it's probably not a great public relations move to be allowing your athletes to take any substance. If you do, it's likely you'll be investigated by the government (see what happened in baseball) and forced to create a drug testing program. Garber is pretty smart to have this testing and tough sanctions for the players. The last thing MLS needs is the government investigating them and forcing a program upon them.