PDA

View Full Version : Rating Toronto's Young Players

Keyman
10-15-2008, 11:33 PM
We all know that having a strong selection of younger players on a team is integral to its long term success. We see this in almost every sport, whether it be hockey, basketball, baseball or soccer. So, how do you feel about our future when you look at our group of younger players? These are the members of our team that will push us forward in the coming years as they hopefully reach their potential and progress to become everyday players, or even stars. Which players are ready to make a significant impact next year? Who should be cut? And who needs a couple more years of experience before they can make an impact?

This would be my list of "young" players, it includes what I feel will be their estimated impact year and my thoughts :

Gabe Gala (19) - Fantastic player out wide either at the back or in the midfield. Impresses me every time I see him play. He has quite a bit of pace, he can whip in a some beautiful crosses, and he is also a strong tackler. He is one for the future.
Estimated impact year: 2010

Abdus Ibrahim (17) - Toronto FC's wonderkid. This guy can flat out play the sport. He has a wonderful touch around the net, enough pace to cause havoc for slower MLS backlines, good ability with the ball at his feat, a good work ethic and he is only 17. Once the kid puts on some weight he is going to be a star in this league in my opinion, unless he goes to Europe. All he needs is experience and a solid mentor, who I hope he will get this offsesaon with the signing of a designated player. I don't see him being a significant player next year, but more of an energy, late sub type guy.
Estimated impact year: 2010

Nana Attakora-Gyan (19) - For a 19 year old, I think Nana has performed very well this season. He is very athletic, like Julius James, but he plays a much more simply and calculated game. He seems to have a great soccer IQ, which is a vital trait for a defender to have. Nana really seems to have no glaring weaknesses, all he needs is more time. I think he is going to be a very solid player for TFC in the future, he will be our general at the back. I think he will become an important player to the team at the end of next year, and turn into an everyday player in 2010.
Estimated impact year: Late 2009

Julius James (24) - James may be older, but I include him because he is a rookie. In my opinion, James has not performed well this season. He is an athletic freak, but he lacks soccer IQ and true defensive qualities. Now I'm just guessing here, but part of me believes his athletic ability compensated for his shortcomings in college, which is why he was so highly touted. However, now that he is against better competition, these weaknesses become very evident. I'm willing to give James another year, maybe more experience will change him, but I don't see him with the club past next season.
Estimated impact year - Gone after 2009

Joey Melo (19) - What happened to this guy? I really have nothing to say about him. I've seen him play a couple times for our reserves, but he hasn't done anything special. Maybe someone can give a more in-depth analysis? But if I had to guess..
Estimated impact year: Gone after 2009

Johann Smith (21) - Future star or one-dimensional flop? I've heard both sides argued. Personally, I believe Johann is going to be a star in this league, and soon. He has wicked pace (100m in 10.5s), he can dangle with the best, he can send in perfect crosses and he can even even score (seen in his U20 performances). He just has to put it all together. I get pretty happy when I think of our flanks being set for the next couple years with Smith and Ricketts! Next season I think we will see him break out, and become one of our best players.
Estimated impact year: 2009

Tyler Rosenlund (22) - Tyler is a very smart, exciting player. He makes very good runs, always seems to be positioned well, and is very good as a creative midfielder. His one glaring weakness is his finishing, it aint that great. When he has skilled players around him, and he is given space, he is a very dangerous player. He will benefit from more attacking options next season. I don't think he will ever become a star, but he will be an important domestic player for years to come.
Estimated impact year: 2009

Brian Edwards (23) - Cut. Not a good GK IMO.
Estimated impact year: Never

Derek Gaudet (19) - Really don't have a lot to say, although I have heard good things about him. I will leave him as a (?).

And finally..

David Monsalve (19) - I know he isn't technically with the team, but he will be. Fantastic 'keeper in my opinion, who has the ability to be a starter down the road. He impresses me every time he plays. He comes off his line well, is very quick, good positioning and has a good reaction time. Hopefully he is a part of the squad next season.
Estimated impact year: 2011-2012

So, I think we have a good core of young players to focus on for the future. However, that is just my opinion, I want to see what you think!

Also, remember we will most likely have a high pick in this year's draft, which could give us yet another significant youngster with a load of potential.

Also, let's not forget the academy. You never know how beneficial that could be down the road. If TFC pump money into it, and develop skilled domestic players, then we're set.

Torcida
10-15-2008, 11:38 PM
We have a lot of talented youngsters for sure. I am completely sold on Johann Smith, I think he will do wonders for us if we keep him around.

I disagree with you about Edwards, he is only 23 (very young in a GK's career) and a decent back-up, no reason to give him up.

Thanks for a good thread, nice write up.

Keyman
10-15-2008, 11:46 PM
I guess you are right when you say that Edwards is a fine back-up. However, as he gets older, I would much rather use that spot on a 'keeper with a similar skill-set, who is a domestic player. I would suggest Monsalve, but I don't think I would feel safe with such a young goalkeeper waiting behind injury prone Sutton.

I'll give him another year. But I just have never been impressed by him. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

And no problem on the thread lol
Thought we needed some good discussion

deschamp86
10-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Monsalve is also a penalty kick stopping machine

Axeman
10-15-2008, 11:49 PM
I'll have to see more from Ibby than one goal off a header anyone could've put in to impress me, Gala and Attakora-Gyan both haven't really impressed me but are still young but I wouldn't praise them yet. Johann Smith has pace which is one thing we need in abundance in my mind but needs to show more than that, which up till this point I dont think he has.
The rest I'd pretty much agree though.

Axeman
10-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Monsalve is also a penalty kick stopping machine
I love the quote you have, it's awesome!:canada:
Go Eddie Edgar

deschamp86
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM
I love the quote you have, it's awesome!:canada:
Go Eddie Edgar

Thank You :thumbsup:

Also.. Does anyone know the deal with Kilian Elkinson? What's going on exactly? The kid hardly even plays for the reserves. Is he any good, or is he just hanging around cuz he has no where else better to go?

Dub Narcotic
10-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Ibrahim and Attakora-Gyan both need to bulk up. It's more of an issue with Nana as he's older. I don't know how to rate Gala, as he's played so little. Melo has been a disappointment from his near-mythic status of destroying the initial TFC team in scrimmages last year. I guess it's not as impressive when that probably just mean beating Marco Reda.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
pretty reasonable reviews

CoachGT
10-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Not bad comments on the players.

Disagree with Edwards - he's able to move the ball downfield in a hurry, whether by throw (his throws are longer than some keeper's punts) or off the ground. Needs some time in net just to get used to players at this level. I think his decision making is suspect today, something that can only be overcome by experience.

I think Ibrahim is the real deal. Jo Smith can be a true impact player. His pace is phenomenal, but my one concern is that at times he tries to be too cute with the ball when he is in positions that don't call for it. Make your moves near the box, not at the midfield line!

Impressed with Attakora last game and think that he could be a solid piece of our backline.

Good thread!

BuSaPuNk
10-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Agree with 95% of your findings. Great write up. I really think James is going to be better than some people think. Not a true impact player but he has show times at being a great shut down defender. There was one game where he made about 3-5 good defensive stops in 5 mins. He has the skill, I think he just lacks confindence.

brad
10-16-2008, 07:58 AM
I imagine Ibby will log a lot of time in the weight room during the off season. At his age, he should be able to pack muscle on with a proper weight training regime and nutrition. As far as a mentor goes, he has that in Dichio, and don't forget that Mo Johnston was a lethal, top flight striker not too long ago.

Disagree on Attakora having no weaknesses. His short passing game is quite bad, but that should improve with experience. Other than that, I have been very impressed with him.

Oldtimer
10-16-2008, 07:58 AM
I agree about James. He seems more like a USL player than an MLS one.

stretchthetruth
10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
I'll have to see more from Ibby than one goal off a header anyone could've put in to impress me, Gala and Attakora-Gyan both haven't really impressed me but are still young but I wouldn't praise them yet. Johann Smith has pace which is one thing we need in abundance in my mind but needs to show more than that, which up till this point I dont think he has.

Ibbe also scored a sweet one in Chicago off a great run and great through-ball... he'll come into his own for us, i like this kid.

dannyd
10-16-2008, 06:27 PM

wow... one goal off a header? I guess you forgot about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehGZlxRNhgs

trane
10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Attokara and Ibrahim will develop into solid players, their Footy IQ in their positions is above MLS standards already, they may both develop play for us a few years and move on to Europe.

ricciboy
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
dude brian ewards is a young goalie man give him a break ok i think he is good its jsut his defence did help him alout in times i think he will be with the team for another 2 years

Axeman
10-16-2008, 09:50 PM
wow... one goal off a header? I guess you forgot about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehGZlxRNhgs

I've just seen far too many games where he's been invisible to praise him, I'm not saying he wont be good(especially since he's 17) but I wouldn't praise him yet that's for sure.

Keyman
10-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I've just seen far too many games where he's been invisible to praise him, I'm not saying he wont be good(especially since he's 17) but I wouldn't praise him yet that's for sure.
I think you can praise him because of the fact he is 17. When you're judging these players, you can't have the same expectations as you would have with older, more established players. A good game for Ibee should be different than a good game for, say, Jim Brennan.

Axeman
10-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I think you can praise him because of the fact he is 17. When you're judging these players, you can't have the same expectations as you would have with older, more established players. A good game for Ibee should be different than a good game for, say, Jim Brennan.
If he was playing in the reserves I'd agree, but if you hold the standard lower for certain players starting in the first team your giving them excuses, What I mean to say is if Ibby isn't being judged the same as first team players then dont put him in the first team. Atleast if Jarrod Smith was starting he wouldn't have excuses.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
10-17-2008, 12:33 AM
We all know that having a strong selection of younger players on a team is integral to its long term success. We see this in almost every sport, whether it be hockey, basketball, baseball or soccer. So, how do you feel about our future when you look at our group of younger players? These are the members of our team that will push us forward in the coming years as they hopefully reach their potential and progress to become everyday players, or even stars. Which players are ready to make a significant impact next year? Who should be cut? And who needs a couple more years of experience before they can make an impact?

Also, let's not forget the academy. You never know how beneficial that could be down the road. If TFC pump money into it, and develop skilled domestic players, then we're set.

How about

Greg Fairweather (18) Great Keeper with tons of potential, selected to play with the TSA in a Brazil tour, scouted by Colleges in the US , Played with SAAC developmental team , in grade 9 played for his seinor team as keeper..... and GUESS WHAT he is currently unsigned.....;)

Keyman
10-17-2008, 12:40 AM
If he was playing in the reserves I'd agree, but if you hold the standard lower for certain players starting in the first team your giving them excuses, What I mean to say is if Ibby isn't being judged the same as first team players then dont put him in the first team. Atleast if Jarrod Smith was starting he wouldn't have excuses.

I guess we will agree to disagree then. I simply can't justify having the same expectations for a 17 year old rookie, when compared to the more senior members of the team. I hold the standard lower because very few players at the age of 17 can make a significant impact. Therefore, any contribution towards the first team from a 17 year old should be worth more, because these types of contributions are so rare.

You simply cannot, in my opinion, have the same expectations for players as young as Ibrahim.

Keyman
10-17-2008, 12:40 AM
How about

Greg Fairweather (18) Great Keeper with tons of potential, selected to play with the TSA in a Brazil tour, scouted by Colleges in the US , Played with SAAC developmental team , in grade 9 played for his seinor team as keeper..... and GUESS WHAT he is currently unsigned.....;)

I'm guessing that is you:rolleyes:
lol

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
10-17-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm guessing that is you:rolleyes:
lol

haha yepp;):hump::canada::canada:

im one example of how the csa blows;)

Cambridge_Red
10-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Like everyone else said nice write up, but I totally disagree with your evaluation of Edwards, and to the dude who slated Ibby are you crazy? :D Thanks 125 always an interesting read.