PDA

View Full Version : More about the Barca/Miami MLS team

Pigfynn
10-15-2008, 08:19 AM
From ESPNSoccernet...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=581958&sec=europe&cc=5901

Canadian Blue
10-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Would this not be against FIFA rules? Remember a few years back Arsenal was under investigation for apparently being a stakeholder in the Belgian club that they consistently recruited players from. I am not sure if it was a FIFA or UEFA rule that they were accused of breaking though.

Regardless the rule was something along the lines of a organization can not own 2 professional clubs

Oldtimer
10-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Would this not be against FIFA rules? Remember a few years back Arsenal was under investigation for apparently being a stakeholder in the Belgian club that they consistently recruited players from. I am not sure if it was a FIFA or UEFA rule that they were accused of breaking though.

Regardless the rule was something along the lines of a organization can not own 2 professional clubs

It's an UEFA rule.

Doesn't apply, as MLS is in CONCACAF.

Canadian Blue
10-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, as you can see from my original post that was what I was unsure of. I knew if it was a UEFA rule it wouldn't apply

flatpicker
10-15-2008, 09:09 AM
This bid could cause trouble for Montreal and Vancouver.
That a pretty big name to put behind the Miami team.
And they want to name it after the big club?
What would that be? The Miami Barcas?

Azerban
10-15-2008, 09:18 AM

ignoring the already posted answer; ummm, chivas? remember them?

TicTacTabarnack
10-15-2008, 09:25 AM
This is an odd statement to make in an application:

"The company's sole aim right now is present an application for a franchise and promote it to MLS," the Barca statement continued. "If the candidature is successful, the company will become a reality, otherwise it will fold."

Basically, accept our application or we won't try again?

NF-FC
10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
ignoring the already posted answer; ummm, chivas? remember them?

and Ajax Capetown?

Toronto Ruffrider
10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
So basically this bid boils down to establishing a version of Chivas, but this time in Florida. I don't like teams that appeal to one demographic, because they turn away a lot of potential fans. If Garber falls for this crap again, then he deserves to be hung out to dry.

Parkdale
10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I've been following this one for some time....

I really want an MLS team in Miami, but only if it's a successful expansion of the league. Miami has folded before, and they've shown that supporting sports is a part time affair. If they want to cater to the white soccermom family market then they might as well build the stadium in Ft.lauderdale. If they want the Spanish market, then it has to be in Miami proper. Pick your market and cater to it.

There was interest before in the Boca Juniors buying into the Miami team. This would introduce the whole Chivas USA problem into the club. If you hate Boca at home, you'd avoid their foreign expansion team in the US. Clearly Barca is bigger than Boca, so it might not be as big a problem.

oh, and the proposed location at Florida International University is right around the corner from Tropical Park Stadium where Miami FC (of the USL) play. If Barca thinks they can just move in over them, then they've got a big fight coming.

edit:

I forgot to mention....

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

Parkdale
10-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't like teams that appeal to one demographic, because they turn away a lot of potential fans. If Garber falls for this crap again, then he deserves to be hung out to dry.

agreed, but it's not like Chivas this time. Guadalajara is very close to Chivas (distance compared to Barcelona to Miami). That distance isn't a good thing for making new fans. Plus Barcelona is arguably the biggest club in Spain, where Guadalajara isn't that big a name.

NF-FC
10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
What's next, Bayern Milwaukee?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
This bid could cause trouble for Montreal and Vancouver.
That a pretty big name to put behind the Miami team.
And they want to name it after the big club?
What would that be? The Miami Barcas?

This could by why Montreal is delaying in putting in a bid? IF this Miami
team get the go for 2010 Montreal is looking at 2011 0r 2012 at the earliest. MLS needs Mimai more the Montreal, the need a team in the Florida area, and with Tampa Bay getting going in the USL again next season, they might be back in MLS before 2016.

james
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
i dont mind Barca buying a team over here....i just dont want them to name the Miami club after Barcalona or even look anything like them!

Toronto Ruffrider
10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
agreed, but it's not like Chivas this time. Guadalajara is very close to Chivas (distance compared to Barcelona to Miami). That distance isn't a good thing for making new fans. Plus Barcelona is arguably the biggest club in Spain, where Guadalajara isn't that big a name.

This is true. Barcelona is unquestionably a bigger name than Guadalajara, so it would appeal to a larger niche than its Los Angeles equivalent. Still, I don't like the idea of any team appealing to only a specific demographic. TFC is so successful because it is marketed to everyone, not just a single Old World tie. To this day I'm glad our club wasn't named "Inter Toronto."

Parkdale
10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
To this day I'm glad our club wasn't named "Inter Toronto."

totally.

I have a feeling that the MLS would give the new club a whole rundown on what to expect when starting a new club. Hell... they should just buy into Miami FC and keep that name. It's simple, it works, and then they won't seem like a foreign invader.

http://www.olaide.com/media/1/20060320-MiamiFC2.jpg

^ it's too bad they took the palm tree out of their logo.

jaahuuu
10-15-2008, 12:32 PM
and Ajax Capetown?
and Crystal Palace Baltimore.

Redcoe15
10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
This bid has fail written all over it. MLS failed before in Miami. With no strong local ownership to step forward, they resort to having a group from Europe come forward to front their bid in hopes they can market their brand name to a skeptical American audience. FC Barcelona only cares about themselves. Miami is just being used.

If Don Garber does a Bettman and awards one of the slots to this group over stronger bids with more love and appreciation of the game, it will be because they want a presence in the US southeast in the worst way possible. Which is exactly what your getting with this Barca Miami idea.

Vindaloo
10-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I hope Garber has some sense in this very important expansion phase. Those markets like Columbus or a Miamia may have been their only option years ago but an addition of Montreal of Vancouver and their wealth of history and dependable fanbase is what is going to fuel MLS' prosperity into the future. It's a no-brainer in fact. For MLS to go against that is keeping with their failed policies of the past.

I'm not confident.