PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't the Impact submitted an MLS bid?

arbogast
10-14-2008, 07:12 PM
According to these clowns,

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/10/this-is-courtesy-of-jack-bell-at-new.html

Ottawa and Vancouver are the only Canadia cities to submit a bid for an MLS club for 2011. Assuming the assbags at MLSR are correct, and to be fair a few times they have been,

why the fuck hasn't Saputo submitted a bid yet? Any theories? The deadline is looming.

Lucky Strike
10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
I know, he better get son derrière moving.

profit89
10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
He'll get it in on time. No worries. By e-mail.

Vindaloo
10-14-2008, 07:34 PM
It makes me sick. Montreal and Vancouver, who have a big soccer fanbase, history, and thirst for the game, could take back seat to a failed club that could go to Miami. There is no way that any American city in the current bid process has a better soccer fanbase than the two cities I mentioned. Jeez, Vancouver has the oldest club in North America for christ sakes.

arbogast
10-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe Saputo's having a hard time finding the scratch$$????

I know there have been rumors about Saputo partnering with Gillette, but just rumors, nothing concrete that I've seen and since Gillette is up to his ass in debt at Liverpool, I doubt he's gonna back the bid.

I just hope I'm wrong and he get's his ass in gear.

Redcoe15
10-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Saputo's the sixth richest man in Canada. He's got the scratch to do it by himself. The reason he may not submit a bid (and that's not to say he won't) is he may question the league's asking price for a franchise, which may be upwards of $50 million US, a steep price to pay considering the economic times right now and the fact that MLSE paid $10 million US just a couple of years ago for their team. He may be doing what St. Louis is doing which is wait until the deadline gets closer in order to submit a bid so that MLS doesn't try play off their bid to other potential bids they may want as incentive.

I'm with Vindaloo. Miami should not get a team. That's a terrible sports town that once had an MLS team there and lost it by contraction. Now you've got FC Barcelona trying to front a bid so they can market their brand to Americans (FC Barca Miami?) all while playing in a college football stadium? Loser right there. Same with Atlanta, another bad sports town. If MLS grants one of these cities a team it will be because Don Garber wants a presence in the US southeast in the worst way possible. :prrr:

ccopela
10-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Maybe Saputo is having second thoughts now that his team is playing in international tournaments. They're also a not-for-profit organization. Maybe he's not willing to give that up just yet.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Maybe Saputo is having second thoughts now that his team is playing in international tournaments. They're also a not-for-profit organization. Maybe he's not willing to give that up just yet.

zactly what im thinking, the fact that USL teams are doing well in the CL is probably cementing these thoughts

Redcoe15
10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
But what if this is all a fluke and the Impact have a hard time making it out of the Canadian Champions Cup? He may kick himself for not putting in a bid.

Axeman
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Are they even upgrading their stadium yet? Can they realisticly get into MLS with what is it? 12-13,000 seat stadium? Vancouver could put in a bid but a 6000 seat venue aint gonna cut it. Atleast Melnyk will build a new one and I'll see TFC play in my home town,
Excellent(fingers tapping together).

TorCanSoc
10-14-2008, 09:22 PM
They're also a not-for-profit organization.

...first I've heard of that. Seriously, a not-for-profit organization? How the hell does that work?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Wont lose any sleep if Montreal makes a bid or not, maybe they have been told the Quebec markets would sell down south? Montreal will have to add another 5,000 seats once a successful bid is made so thats more money out of Saputos pocket.
Maybe hes waiting forGilette to be a partner. Vancouver is way off as well until they get a SSS up and going...TFC might be Canadas team for a few more years yet.

werewolf
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Are they even upgrading their stadium yet? Can they realisticly get into MLS with what is it? 12-13,000 seat stadium? Vancouver could put in a bid but a 6000 seat venue aint gonna cut it. Atleast Melnyk will build a new one and I'll see TFC play in my home town,
Excellent(fingers tapping together).

BC Place is being renovated.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
BC Place is being renovated.

isn't that for the Olympics not soccer?

ccopela
10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
...first I've heard of that. Seriously, a not-for-profit organization? How the hell does that work?

http://www.montrealimpact.com/Community/?language=EN

"as a non-profit organization, the Impact has been actively involved in the community and has developed partnerships with various organizations over the years. The team has opted to support and encourage causes that revolve primarily around children."

werewolf
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Whitecaps have intent to use it as well.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/fanzone/galleries/photos/do_not_publish/images/5303/320x225.aspx

From the Whitecaps website.

Carts
10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
The financial world is in a bit of turmoil right now to say the least - perhaps its causing a 'delay' in putting the bid in...

With a $40M (US Dollar) expansion fee, plus the value of the Canadian dollar fluxuating, and upgrades to the stadium needed - I could see Saputo welcoming in minority partners to help with the $$$...

Its not that's its needed, the Saputo companies probably have the cash, but to spread out costs with minorities holders means keeping all the power, without paying all the cash...

Smart business, if you can find investors willing to give you their money, while letting you keep the power...

Carts...

RealG-TFC
10-14-2008, 09:57 PM

IT's getting a reno..get this...after the olympics!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-14-2008, 10:02 PM
id prefer Montreal over Vancouver (especially as i fucking hate montreal and the rivalry could only intensify)

James17930
10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Whitecaps have intent to use it as well.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/fanzone/galleries/photos/do_not_publish/images/5303/320x225.aspx

From the Whitecaps website.

Sweet. Too bad about all that extra room behind the one net, though.

FYI, that's what BMO would look like if the Argos moved in (without moveable seats, that is).

Axeman
10-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Is BC place too big? It might look like another NFL stadium 3/4 empty, aghh.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Eventually, they plan to get their waterfront stadium. BC Place is only a temporary solution.

rocker
10-14-2008, 10:35 PM
i think montreal would be stupid not to make a bid. they'll get it in.
i know they've done well this year in the CL, but there's no guarantee they'll get beyond the canadian part in future years, leaving just the season to play. and with Seattle gone next from the USL, and perhaps Vancouver in a few years, they will start to see the best competition leaving the USL.
also, if MLS does heed calls to increase the salary cap significantly, the USL might start to see a raid on talent.
i still think MLS is the future, and the USL has come as close as it can come.

nfitz
10-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Simple - now that Montreal is no longer is last place in USL-1, then relegation to MLS is no longer an option.

james
10-15-2008, 12:36 AM
rumours i herd few months back was that Saputo doesn't want to fork up $40-50 million to get a franchise. Herd he believes he should get a cheaper deal, and part of it being the fact that he already has a stadium that just needs renovating!

RealG-TFC
10-15-2008, 06:22 AM
http://media.canada.com/1ceaa7d7-3889-4f4c-9003-991895e62419/stad-art.jpghttp://img509.imageshack.us/img509/306/35521388xu5.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7317/16942348vj7.jpg

BuSaPuNk
10-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Those picks look nice. Looks like it would be a nice stadium to see a game.

mlsintoronto
10-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Those picks look nice. Looks like it would be a nice stadium to see a game.

with cfl lines on the field.

Shaughno
10-15-2008, 07:13 AM

Roof... and pointy ball lines... or neither, that's a tough one! :noidea:

BuSaPuNk
10-15-2008, 07:16 AM

Isn't BC place that fake grass anyways?? Couldn't they change the field for what game is going to be played there kind of what they do in the skydome?

Broadview
10-15-2008, 07:18 AM
BC Place bought the FieldTurf that was at the Big O.

Oldtimer
10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Today is the deadline. I wonder who's in?

canadian_bhoy
10-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Who cares about Montreal anyways? The league needs less teams that are full of kids with thundersticks not more of them.

arbogast
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Who cares about Montreal anyways? The league needs less teams that are full of kids with thundersticks not more of them.

I do. the rivalry will be off the hook.

rocker
10-15-2008, 08:24 AM
anyone who attended the CC game against Montreal would realize why we need Montreal in the league. That was so intense. I want them in the league so we can stuff it in their faces 2-3 times a year.

Oldtimer
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I see from today's news that MTL, VAN, and Ottawa have all placed bids.

Mark in Ottawa
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
At least Melnyk will build a new one and I'll see TFC play in my home town,

You're from Kanata?

NF-FC
10-15-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm almost hoping that none of the Canadian teams get in. That leads to a better chance of a Domestic league

rocker
10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
so the Montreal bid is in... they just announced the contenders, and Montreal's bid is Saputo + Gillett

james
10-15-2008, 04:32 PM

i agree. But i think if Montreal got an MLS team more Ultra type fans would start showing up. Just look at Toronto Lynx. The few thousand fans they did have were 95% soccer moms. TFC came along and look what happened. Montreal Impact can do the same if they sell and advertise the team right!

greatwhitenorf
10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Well there you have it. McCown and Brunt just announced Montreal is putting in a bid.

james
10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
so the Montreal bid is in... they just announced the contenders, and Montreal's bid is Saputo + Gillett

nice i dont see how they cant get a team with those kind of owners!

greatwhitenorf
10-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Think Gillette is having trouble with Liverpool? His NASCAR operation is facing very tricky times with key partner Ray Evernham ready to pull out and Dodge's future in racing looking quite uncertain.

I suspect he's not that strongly committed himself, but the Saputos are being tested on how much money they have to put up.

Melnyk may well have sniffed out a decent opportunity for himself. No money worries for him, no land hassles in building out in Kanata.

Ron Manager
10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
anyone who attended the CC game against Montreal would realize why we need Montreal in the league. That was so intense. I want them in the league so we can stuff it in their faces 2-3 times a year.

4-5 times a year with CC games!!

james
10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Cities i wanna see get an MLS team in order:

1)Montreal- Great rivals and they already got a stadium, and already have the most fans in USL
2)Portland- just need to renovate there current stadium, the support is already good
3)Vancouver- They would support the team well, i just hope they get there stadium deal sorted out with, BC Place is to big.

as for other cities:
-Ottawa is to small a city to support a club
-St.Louis needs a stadium plan and built. They arent that far from Kansas who already have shit soccer support. I dont see St.Louis filling a stadium every game or having and good Ultras, supporting groups.
- Miami already lost a team once. Maybe if they build a stadium right in the city they will be ok, but with Barca as owners anyone who doesn't like Barca may not want to support the club. ( but with that much money i could see them getting a team)

Axeman
10-15-2008, 04:42 PM
You're from Kanata?
Split my time in my life between Kanata and West-Ottawa, yeah.
One bus from Bayshore!
Why do all the Ottawa RPB have to be from Downtown/East-end?
Oh well atleast you guys are in the city.:D
Let's all watch TFC sometime! Bank Street Elite RPB!:D

flatpicker
10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Watching McClown just now has actually been informative.
I must have missed his soccer insults...
It was good MLS business discussion.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm hoping for Vancouver and Montreal and within five years Ottawa as well.

Beach_Red
10-15-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm almost hoping that none of the Canadian teams get in. That leads to a better chance of a Domestic league

It could also happen that when the four Canadian teams in MLS are really successful they could split off to form a Canadian league and add 4-6 new teams.

I still see all those CFL stadiums out west full of soccer....

Axeman
10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
It could also happen that when the four Canadian teams in MLS are really successful they could split off to form a Canadian league and add 4-6 new teams.

What a Great Idea, I never thought of that, having a Canadian Division!
Montreal, TFC, Ottawa, Vancouver, I guess we might need one more team though, but I like it!
What about out east any discussion about MLS out there? In my opinion it would work better than Hockey. Lots of English, Scots and Irish.

RealG-TFC
10-15-2008, 05:20 PM

I agree that a Canadian LEAGUE would be great but you can't compete with the CFL ESPECIALLY out West. It's just a nono.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Mont is most likely out of the 3, then id say Van.
I honestly think Ottawa doesnt have a chance in hell, especially when it comes to other american cities. At least Mont and Van are established, have financial backing etc etc. Ottawa was put together on a whim and the potential of a CFL team in their stadium.

Axeman
10-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Mont is most likely out of the 3, then id say Van.
I honestly think Ottawa doesnt have a chance in hell, especially when it comes to other american cities. At least Mont and Van are established, have financial backing etc etc. Ottawa was put together on a whim and the potential of a CFL team in their stadium.

Never underestimate a rich owner, I know Saputo's got money but he's not nearly as agressive in getting a franchise as Melnyk is (and what the fuck does he need Gillet for anyway???)
Melnyk is pushing hard and it doesn't seem to matter if the place is a soccer town anyway or else Portland and Rochester would be up for MLS bids.
I bet Ottawa is a hell of a lot closer than Vancouver and I say this without bias or wishful thinking.
Why would MLS comish mention Ottawa in the first place if Melnyk didn't have some kind of dialogue with them.

Blizzard
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Isn't BC place that fake grass anyways?? Couldn't they change the field for what game is going to be played there kind of what they do in the skydome?

It's incredibly that this myth still exists. The Skydome's FieldTurf is used both by the Argos and the Jays.

For one season, the Argos used a different surface back when the Dome was still Astroturf. When Rogers upgraded the Blue Jays Astroturf to FieldTurf, the Argos were invited to use it as well .... which they do to this day.

Look at this picture. you can clearly see the not quite washed off football lines on the baseball field.

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/american/skydome.jpg

Ossington Mental Youth
10-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Never underestimate a rich owner, I know Saputo's got money but he's not nearly as agressive in getting a franchise as Melnyk is (and what the fuck does he need Gillet for anyway???)
Melnyk is pushing hard and it doesn't seem to matter if the place is a soccer town anyway or else Portland and Rochester would be up for MLS bids.
I bet Ottawa is a hell of a lot closer than Vancouver and I say this without bias or wishful thinking.
Why would MLS comish mention Ottawa in the first place if Melnyk didn't have some kind of dialogue with them.

we can agree to disagree (it doesnt help that i hate Ottawa as a potential expansion city, HA). I guess we will find out in march (?).

Redcoe15
10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
:confused: What makes you think a guy like Joey Saputo isn't as aggresive, if not more so, than Melnyk. Saputo's farther along than Melnyk wishes he was.

Axeman
10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
:confused: What makes you think a guy like Joey Saputo isn't as aggresive, if not more so, than Melnyk. Saputo's farther along than Melnyk wishes he was.
I've heard nothing from Saputo, no press conference no strories nothing, I'm not saying I'm right, but from what I can tell Melnyk is all over the place saying stuff like "it will happen" I have not heard that from Saputo.
In my opinion Mtl deserves the franchise first, but it seems for some reason Melnyk is pushing and Saputo is just, I dont know he hasn't said anything? I heard something about Saputo making his bid through Bob McCown show but that's about it.
And Why the Hell does Saputo need Gillet anyway??? I thought he had lot's of cash?

Axeman
10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
we can agree to disagree (it doesnt help that i hate Ottawa as a potential expansion city, HA). I guess we will find out in march (?).
You could be right man.

rocker
10-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I've heard nothing from Saputo, no press conference no strories nothing, I'm not saying I'm right, but from what I can tell Melnyk is all over the place saying stuff like "it will happen" I have not heard that from Saputo.
In my opinion Mtl deserves the franchise first, but it seems for some reason Melnyk is pushing and Saputo is just, I dont know he hasn't said anything? I heard something about Saputo making his bid through Bob McCown show but that's about it.
And Why the Hell does Saputo need Gillet anyway??? I thought he had lot's of cash?

Maybe Melnyk is working the media cuz he's knows he's at the back of the line. Saputo is keeping quiet cuz he knows his bid is strong. He doesn't want to say or do something stupid.
I also don't understand French, so I have no clue what he's saying to the French media.

The only place I ever hear Melnyk talking is on McClown's show, and he never says "it will happen". He said today it's a tough bidding process and he also said he needs city funding to get the stadium done. That's gonna be tough.

Perhaps the Saputo/Gillett combination is to help each other. Gillett owns a big ticketing company in Montreal, plus he probably has connections with marketing that Saputo doesn't.
Also, it just makes the bid look that much better to have another billionaire alongside. Looking at the ownership of these groups, it seems like you better have some deep pockets... multiple billionaires!!!

I've also noticed an interesting development: both Vanny and MTL started with rich-ass Canadians looking to get into MLS. Yet both bids added rich-ass Americans to their groups. I wonder what that means.

Axeman
10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Maybe Melnyk is working the media cuz he's knows he's at the back of the line. Saputo is keeping quiet cuz he knows his bid is strong. He doesn't want to say or do something stupid.
I also don't understand French, so I have no clue what he's saying to the French media.

The only place I ever hear Melnyk talking is on McClown's show, and he never says "it will happen". He said today it's a tough bidding process and he also said he needs city funding to get the stadium done. That's gonna be tough.

Perhaps the Saputo/Gillett combination is to help each other. Gillett owns a big ticketing company in Montreal, plus he probably has connections with marketing that Saputo doesn't.
Also, it just makes the bid look that much better to have another billionaire alongside. Looking at the ownership of these groups, it seems like you better have some deep pockets... multiple billionaires!!!

I've also noticed an interesting development: both Vanny and MTL started with rich-ass Canadians looking to get into MLS. Yet both bids added rich-ass Americans to their groups. I wonder what that means.

Ottawa Sun Front Page day of the bid annoucement: "It Will Happen" - Melnyk. I dont see the merit in the 2 billionaires are better than one myself, but hey man you could be right, I'm not saying your wrong.