PDA

View Full Version : Forget Strikers, spend DP money on a DC

Axeman
10-14-2008, 06:42 PM
I've heard a lot of comments about how we need to sign a striker with quality(and a big name) in the off season but what I think we should spend our money (especially our DP) on a quality Defensive centre.
If we get a DP defensive centre, another centre-back and striker at non DP money I believe that would help more than a 30-something striker with a big name and get another Marshall or Velez.
Good strikers will get goals, but defence wins championships.

Oldtimer
10-14-2008, 06:52 PM
We need solid defending, but we can do that under the salary cap. Look at Montreal -- no great players, yet they work well together. They've only allowed 1 goal in their CONCACAF Champions League play.

Keyman
10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
This is a debate that I've been having with myself for quite some time now. There are so many pros and cons to using the DP spot on each position. I think a quality striker can singlehandedly win you a game, a defender cannot. It takes an entire backline to keep a clean sheet, including a good 'keeper, not just one player. Also, I think it is much easier in this league to acquire a good defender, for a cheaper price. Strikers are always going to cost more, therefore, it makes sense to use a DP spot on a star forward. Also, I fully believe that a striker would be the last piece to the puzzle for our attack. There is enough service on this team, in the form of J. Smith, Ricketts and Guevara to make a quality strikers job very easy.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Not opposed to this idea what so ever, it really would be amazing to have a rock that is able to a) hold up the defense and b) teach the youngins coming through to do the same. More or less touched on the subject in the DP thread that was up a while ago.

Moe911
10-14-2008, 07:55 PM
We need solid defending, but we can do that under the salary cap. Look at Montreal -- no great players, yet they work well together. They've only allowed 1 goal in their CONCACAF Champions League play.

I like the way Sandro grande plays, maybe upgrade on robinson.

Lucky Strike
10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
This is a debate that I've been having with myself for quite some time now. There are so many pros and cons to using the DP spot on each position. I think a quality striker can singlehandedly win you a game, a defender cannot. It takes an entire backline to keep a clean sheet, including a good 'keeper, not just one player. Also, I think it is much easier in this league to acquire a good defender, for a cheaper price. Strikers are always going to cost more, therefore, it makes sense to use a DP spot on a star forward. Also, I fully believe that a striker would be the last piece to the puzzle for our attack. There is enough service on this team, in the form of J. Smith, Ricketts and Guevara to make a quality strikers job very easy.

Awesome! You saved me the time of having to type all that. +1.

A star DC to organize the backline I think would no doubt help, but not as much as a star striker. I'd rather have a coherent backline than 1 star and 2 or 3 inspector Clouseaus to accompany him.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I like the way Sandro grande plays, maybe upgrade on robinson.

doubtful, plus hes older and injury laden

Axeman
10-14-2008, 08:31 PM

A Defender cannot win you a game but he sure can blow a game, re. Velez, Marshall, James.
I think if we were to get Radz and DeRo at non DP money, add Dichio and Barrett in the mix up front that would be a formidable offence. We have a solid back line on the sides with Brennan and Wynne a DP defensive centre wouldn't hurt that or become a one man show it would solidify our defence.

tlear
10-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Solid defender who can be a leader there would be a HUGE benefit, striker can win games but a star defender makes impact in each game. You want big name? get someone like Cannavaro (ok that is not happening but you get the idea)

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Defence wins championships. A good offence is the best defence. I firmly believe the defence looks as poor as it does half the time because we have difficulty creating prolonged spells of offensive pressure.

The history of TFC (some much as there is) is a history of a lacking of scoring and lack of quality forwards. Yes we need defensive help, and I’m sure it’s going to be an off season priority, but the safe money is on DP striker.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-14-2008, 11:50 PM
i think one particular thing holding this idea back from happening is the jersey sale.
Ive been behind MLSE in support and defended them on many occasions but i suspect (and rightfully so) that they may prefer a striker/attacking dp due to jersey sales.

Also what UltraSuperMegaMo said.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
also i think we'd be ok with a leaky defense if we scored 3 or 4 goals a game.
Granted we dont want galaxy leaky.

werewolf
10-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Are you trying to suggest that MLSE would pick one of these two players -

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=919

over

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=918

Based on the sale of pictured product? I could never imagine them doing that :rolleyes:

Cashcleaner
10-15-2008, 03:30 AM

I agree. To be honest, if you're going to spend the money and the slot, purchasing a forward or attacking mid is probably the best way to go around things. I did flirt with the idea of buying a top-quality keeper at first, but I think now we really don't have much of a choice but to go with a goalscorer.

BuSaPuNk
10-15-2008, 06:10 AM
DP money should be used for a striker for sure, or a attacking midfielder. We certainly need to get a soild central defender. We look like we are starting to get our scoring touch back with a healthy front two so, I would imagine they would be looking at a defender first.

ACSertL
10-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Are you trying to suggest that MLSE would pick one of these two players -

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=919

over

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=918

Based on the sale of pictured product? I could never imagine them doing that :rolleyes:

You said you were working on getting Podolski :mad:

:lol: