PDA

View Full Version : Danny Dichio back next season?

Axeman
10-14-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure when his contract is up but would you like to see Danny Dichio back for next season?
Personally I would say yes based on his recent form. I find he brings a real edge and influence to us. Very slow but heads everything and makes good decisions.
What do you think?

Shakes McQueen
10-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Absolutely. Even if he plays a reduced role of super-sub, instead of starting every match.

We play better with him on the pitch.

- Scott

Yohan
10-14-2008, 01:54 AM
Absolutely. Even if he plays a reduced role of super-sub, instead of starting every match.

We play better with him on the pitch.

- Scott
The last 3 games should be enough of evidence that without Dichio, TFC offence is pretty much zilch.

Doubt there are many better target man striker than Dichio in MLS right now.

flatpicker
10-14-2008, 06:20 AM
He sure knows how to flick a ball on ahead to folks.
He maybe be slow and lumber around out there, but when the ball is passed to him he often creates opportunities.
Hopefully he will be back, even if in a limited capacity.

BuSaPuNk
10-14-2008, 06:24 AM
There is no one on this team that has a more crisper pass than Dichio. He should come back next year. Off the bench or starting doesn't really matter he makes us play better everytime he's out there.

David_Oliveira
10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
We definitely need him or someone of his talent. If we were to let him go, without a shadow of a doubt another MLS team would pick him up. We need him in our system. He is the stay at home forward in the system. He gets the ball and passes it to the other forward. He kind of plays like Rooney, where he stays back and gets the ball to Dickov (Barrett) and if he has the chance, finishes that ball himself.

sully
10-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Even if Dichio didn't play next season, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't with TFC for years to come in some capacity within the organization. Not that I know anything, just seems right...

Shaughno
10-14-2008, 08:34 AM
He already said he wanted to stay in Toronto long after his career is finished. I'd pretty much say that tips him for some sort of role.

rocker
10-14-2008, 08:39 AM
since most MLS contracts are 4 years (2 guaranteed, 2 team option), then it's up to the club for next year. but given what he's done for the team, I'm gonna assume Mojo will pick up that option. at worst, he's a great backup option after the new DP striker they're gonna get ;)

druid
10-14-2008, 08:39 AM
IMHO, he's still the best finisher at the club and could score a lot more with better service.

That said if we can get our hands on better we should take it.

Steve
10-14-2008, 08:40 AM
If he is healthy, and wants to, he should stay on as at least a sub. The team is completely different with and without him (he does so many little things right, and his soccer IQ is through the roof). If he wants to retire, all the power to him, I just hope he stays on as a coach. Again, he has such great instincts and reads the game so well, I think he would be huge for us as a coach.

So, for me, it's his choice. I would love to keep him as a player, but if he is hurting too much, move him to the bench coaching. Either way we'll be lucky to have him.

Shaughno
10-14-2008, 08:40 AM
since most MLS contracts are 4 years (2 guaranteed, 2 team option), then it's up to the club for next year. but given what he's done for the team, I'm gonna assume Mojo will pick up that option. at worst, he's a great backup option after the new DP striker they're gonna get ;)

And a great 'coach' for the young lads as well ;)

Ossington Mental Youth
10-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I suspect we will see him back next year and if all things go accordingly in the off season, as a substitute. I love Dichio (see quote under my post in my signature), hes effective as hell but fact of the matter is we need better strikers and he is growing old and injured. God id love to have him now but about 3 or 4 years younger, he'd be killing it. If hes healthy, i definitely see him playing regularly/starting but if we get an injection of talented youth (relatively speaking) he will be off the bench and eventually coaching.

Nodoubtguy
10-14-2008, 08:52 AM
What does Dichio make a year?? is a sub worth that salary?? I love the guy, but could we better use the money on a starter up front??

David_Oliveira
10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Danny Dichio F $157,500, $165,625 according to Toronto FC Blog

Stugatzo
10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
^^^^^
Worth every penny both on and off the pitch.
Great guy, great leader and when he's on, he makes magic happen.

Roogsy
10-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Funny that there are players making more than him but have less impact.

If TFC don't sign him for another year at least...they'd be idiots.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Roogsy nails it here…he is an "impact" player…he offers as much impact off the pitch as on.

I think signing him, even in a reduced playing role, would be a great move. I know he has interest in coaching…it would be great to keep him within the organization.

Lucky Strike
10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
No question we absolutely need him to play the biggest role he can.

Mark in Ottawa
10-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Hell yes!
Danny brings a physical presence that is unmatched by anyone else on the team.
I believe he is a great influence on the younger players.

Axeman
10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Wasn't expecting such a unanimous opinon but I with you guys!

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure when his contract is up but would you like to see Danny Dichio back for next season?
Personally I would say yes based on his recent form. I find he brings a real edge and influence to us. Very slow but heads everything and makes good decisions.
What do you think?
Is this a question you honestly have to ask? You're just asking for this thread to be invaded by flaming retards arguing both ways.;)

Marco2K
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Vote For Dichio

Bars92
10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Dichio as the third striker for sure.

TFC Via Buffalo
10-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I was never a huge backer of Dichio this year, but since he came back from the injury, it's crystal clear he is a vital cog of the offense. The big bastard's been creating a ton of problems for defenders and it's shown in the goal scoring recently. I'm all for keeping the big angry fella.

RicoSuave44
10-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Love Dichio.... but he won't be coming back next year.

invictusTFC
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
The last 3 games should be enough of evidence that without Dichio, TFC offence is pretty much zilch.

Doubt there are many better target man striker than Dichio in MLS right now.

Are you serious?

McBride
Angel
Cooper
Ching

Just to name the obvious....

I like Danny, and I hope he is back next season, but lets not kid ourselves he is not the unbelievable target-man some people in this forum make him out to be. DD's career is coming to an end. His role will be as a substitute in the future.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Having him stay as a super sub would be great, and maybe if he is interested in Staying In Toronto long term he could get his fifa coaching certificate and maybe
be TFC manager down the road? if he would like a challenge like that?

Yohan
10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Are you serious?

McBride
Angel
Cooper
Ching

Just to name the obvious....

I like Danny, and I hope he is back next season, but lets not kid ourselves he is not the unbelievable target-man some people in this forum make him out to be. DD's career is coming to an end. His role will be as a substitute in the future.
McBride. I think Dichio is equal to him
Angel. Not a target striker IMO
Cooper. Yep. He's better than Dichio
Ching. Haven't seen him play enough

newfcfan
10-15-2008, 03:48 PM
There is absolutely no reason NOT to have Danny back next season - he is THE FACE of the team. His recent play proves his value not only as a player but as someone the younger guys can look up to and emulate.

PLEASE KEEP DANNY IN TORONTO! He has one quality that many people forget - he makes everybody else better.

TFC has to do whatever they can to keep him in Toronto - don't let him get away.

Roogsy
10-15-2008, 03:54 PM
McBride. I think Dichio is equal to him
Angel. Not a target striker IMO
Cooper. Yep. He's better than Dichio
Ching. Haven't seen him play enough

Ching is a greart forward...but he is always hurt, even moreso than Dichio. For that reason alone, I would put Danny Dichio ahead of him. Not to mention his pedigree is much better than Ching's.

newfcfan
10-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Danny Dichio is the heart of the team. Having him around would make the difference between a good team and a great team. Do you remember Joe Carter and the blue jays, Mike Folino and the Maple Leafs in the 92-93 season. Dichio gets the team rallying.

Hitcho
10-17-2008, 01:28 PM
DON'T LEAVE US DANNY!!!!!!!!

You're part of the fabric of BMO Field - the city may have built the place but you nearly took it down with your first and last goals of our inaugural season.

I never, ever want Dichiop to leave the club. Play at least one more year, then stay on as a coach or something. JUST DON'T LEAVE US MATE!!!!!!!!

starrynightnf
10-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm not ready for Danny to leave us yet. So therefore he just can't go. :D

shaggingscot
10-17-2008, 10:40 PM
He's not going anywhere, I can see him being manager in a few years.

stretchthetruth
10-17-2008, 11:00 PM
i agree, i dont think he'll retire this year - he wants to win something with TFC first...

Dunc
10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
He's a TFC hero and i believe we should make every effort to keep him here as long as possible.

I remember being in front of the main doors at BMO field and seeing a bunch of little kids just about shitting their pants over seeing Dichio through the glass doors getting interviewed, you'd think he was a recognisable hockey player or something with how excited they were. That's where football needs to get to in Canada and DD's done it with some people. Not to mention how he's still a great finisher as well as creating opportunities for others and showing an intelligence on the field that I haven't seen in anyone else.

deschamp86
10-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned. But Dichio's new site is now online:

http://www.dichio24.com/

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 08:14 AM
yeah after that hit to the head he will not be playing next week for long

Oblio2
10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
After seeing Danny do that lap, with his kids and waving...there is no way he'll be back. That was a retirement lap.