PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday, Oct.13

denime
10-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Between the referee who cost Toronto FC a win in Dallas and the bumbling CSA, there is plenty of turkey to go around today
By GARETH WHEELER

Thanksgiving is all about the turkey.
Which conveniently brings us to Major League Soccer referee Mark Geiger, as well as the Canadian Soccer Association, after their respective displays over the weekend.
They are both turkeys.
Let's start with Geiger, match official for the crucial game between Toronto FC and FC Dallas on Saturday night in Texas.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/13/7067851-sun.html)

Toronto FC's Wynne gets U.S. team call
By SUN WIRE SERVICES

Toronto FC defender Marvell Wynne is one of four players from Major League Soccer the United States has added for Wednesday's match at Trinidad and Tobago.
Having clinched a spot in the CONCACAF qualifying finals for the 2012 World Cup, U.S. coach Bob Bradley released nine players from the roster for Wednesday's game, including eight starters from Saturday night's 6-1 rout of Cuba that clinched advancement.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/13/7067831-sun.html)

World Cup dream sinks in sea of blame
STEPHEN BRUNT

The result was in many ways predictable.
Canada away, in a hostile environment, minus three key players because of injury or suspension, perhaps distracted by a brewing insurrection against the coach, facing an opponent with considerable skill, loses 3-1 to Honduras in World Cup qualifying, and sees the dream of a trip to South Africa in 2010 extinguished with two matches to go in a preliminary round.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081012.brunt13-web/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

http://i38.tinypic.com/2unvypu.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Roogsy
10-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks Denime!

Wow...a Sun reporter putting the call into perspective? I am shocked.

And I fully agree. What a farce...

Oldtimer
10-13-2008, 09:04 AM
We're tied with LA!!!!!
(and we're not last!!!)

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Good articles by Wheeler and Brunt... Although Holger Osieck would be better than Mitchell.

But we all know who really needs to go, and it's the morons doing the hiring.

RealG-TFC
10-13-2008, 09:35 AM
I can has Pekerman?

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/mediaUS/20060904/pekerman_205.jpg

Anyways,

SoccMan
10-13-2008, 09:40 AM
No surprise here in terms of the kind of articles the Sun's Garth Wheeler puts out. Garth is a soccer guy, he played university soccer with Western and most likely played organised youth soccer growing up. These are the type of writers we need in the media covering soccer, people who know the game and have a real connection to the game. When you get guys like Garth writing soccer articles you will get informative and critical writing like this one. The majority of times Canadian main stream media have people covering soccer who have no knowledge of the game and it shows. Thank god for guys like Garth, we need more like him.

redcard
10-13-2008, 10:33 AM
pekerman would be the best candidate i think...at least until the CSA is blown up.

CoachGT
10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
No mention of the Vancouver Whitecaps beating the Puerto Rico Islanders 2-1 in the USL Division 1 final? It was on Fox Sportsworld Canada last night. Very well played game - Gbeke scored both Vancouver goals, all goals coming in the second half. Well deserved win by Vancouver, well played and entertaining game.

So that means that TFC are the only top level professional team in Canada not to win a trophy this year. :(

Roogsy
10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
No mention of the Vancouver Whitecaps beating the Puerto Rico Islanders 2-1 in the USL Division 1 final? It was on Fox Sportsworld Canada last night. Very well played game - Gbeke scored both Vancouver goals, all goals coming in the second half. Well deserved win by Vancouver, well played and entertaining game.

So that means that TFC are the only top level professional team in Canada not to win a trophy this year. :(

Oh Coach! Talk about hitting us below the belt! :sad::cuss::cryin:

CoachGT
10-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh Coach! Talk about hitting us below the belt! :sad::cuss::cryin:

LittleRed pointed that out to me after the game! :(

Carter
10-13-2008, 11:22 AM

In the Second Article about wynne getting called up is the whitecaps article.

WHITECAPS USL CHAMPS
At Burnaby, B.C., Forward Charles Gbeke scored two goals in the second half as the Vancouver Whitecaps defeated the Puerto Rico Islanders 2-1 to win their second United Soccer Leagues First Division championship in three years.
Gbeke snapped a 1-1 tie in the 73rd minute when he leaped in the air and headed in a cross from midfielder Justin Moose. The Ivory Coast native, who grew up in Montreal, was mobbed by his teammates after the goal.
Gbeke, who at 6-foot-2 and 210-pounds is built like a football linebacker, gave Vancouver a 1-0 lead in the 55th minute off a corner kick.
The Islanders tied the match in the 68th minute when midfielder Sandy Gbandi took a pass from Noah Delgado and headed it past Whitecaps keeper Jay Nolly.
The Whitecaps last won the USL title in 2006 when they beat Rochester 3-0. For the Islanders, it was their first final after five years in the league.

Bluenose13
10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
We are still alive for a play-off spot, we are on life support but not dead yet.

Roogsy
10-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Well...at least it's good for soccer in Canada.

Still hurts though.

But it's only our second season. The Whitecaps and Impact have years in existance. I will keep having to tell myself that while I cry myself to sleep at night.

Oldtimer
10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Well...at least it's good for soccer in Canada.

Still hurts though.

But it's only our second season. The Whitecaps and Impact have years in existance. I will keep having to tell myself that while I cry myself to sleep at night.

Vancouver Whitecaps 1974-1984 (NASL Team)
1986-present (USL team)
Like with San Jose, the new team is unrelated to the old team.

Montreal Impact 1993-present

So 20 years for the WC (32 if you count the NASL side)
13 years for l'Impact.

TFC - 2 years.

rocker
10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
that brunt article explains things exactly the way i see em.

Bobo
10-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Between the referee who cost Toronto FC a win in Dallas and the bumbling CSA, there is plenty of turkey to go around today
By GARETH WHEELER

Thanksgiving is all about the turkey.
Which conveniently brings us to Major League Soccer referee Mark Geiger, as well as the Canadian Soccer Association, after their respective displays over the weekend.
They are both turkeys.
Let's start with Geiger, match official for the crucial game between Toronto FC and FC Dallas on Saturday night in Texas.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/13/7067851-sun.html)

What a goof.

Dub Narcotic
10-13-2008, 09:02 PM

I just got back from Vancouver and the Whitecaps story was on the front page of the Province with a full page photo of the trophy celebration.