PDA

View Full Version : Unshakable Home-Field Advantage in Soccer World

The Professor
10-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Unshakable Home-Field Advantage in Soccer World

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/sports/soccer/12score.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

This result confirmed an earlier psychological study conducted by scientists at the University of Wolverhampton and Liverpool John Moores University, who found that referees were influenced by crowd noise when calling fouls. Referees watching taped matches made fewer calls against the home team, and more against the visitors, when the sound was turned on. But more experienced referees were less likely to favor the home team.

Roogsy
10-12-2008, 10:23 AM
The article mentiones that even refs seem to give preference to home teams and card visiting teams more often.

This rule doesn't seem to apply at BMO Field where the Refs have been the biggest douchebags of all.

BuSaPuNk
10-12-2008, 02:49 PM
The article mentiones that even refs seem to give preference to home teams and card visiting teams more often.

This rule doesn't seem to apply at BMO Field where the Refs have been the biggest douchebags of all.

Yeah i guess the MLS is the exception to the rule. Doesn't seem to matter if we are at BMO or on the road they are always douchebags. It really doesn't seem to matter though. It's no different than the NHL or any other league. The refs always seem to favor the home squad.

Juanito
10-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm probably not the first one to mention this, but when the league and the refs aren't really on your side, or have little to no respect for you, it's quite hard to get the calls. Refereeing is a real problem, in my opinion, and there's not much we can do about it except to shove up the league's collective arse when we win the championship!!

rocker
10-12-2008, 11:45 PM
John Carver has really been concerned with his own team's prep before road games. He seems to think it's a problem of not recreating some way of life that you get at home but not on the road. In MLS it seems particularly obvious that teams have a great home advantage.