PDA

View Full Version : Did Velez save his job?

MartinUtd
10-11-2008, 09:33 PM
And did James lose his?

Discuss.

kuku
10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Velez played well tonight.

jloome
10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Maybe and maybe. I suspect James will be around next year just because, with his general athleticism, they'll give him another year to develop. I mean, look at Wynne: this second half, he's turned into the fullback we all know we're going to lose to Europe, instead of just the really fast guy with lots of potential.

Velez scored again in timely fashion, as he did early in the season, when his first few games were howlers. Good timing, but I suspect at best he'll be riding the bench next year.

SLBuu
10-11-2008, 09:55 PM
i'd like to see both stay and develop....

MartinUtd
10-11-2008, 10:02 PM
If they make a big defender signing in the off season *cough*Stalteri*cough* I could see Velez going, but otherwise I think both will be here. James still deserves 40 lashes for that gaffe in the box though.

And I don't think Velez will be doing any more developing at 28 years old.

smeghead
10-11-2008, 10:52 PM
id take a pylon before staltari. James gonna be riding the dog house for a bit, but i dohnnt think theyll toss him.

CoachGT
10-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Stalteri won't play on turf. He's been vocal enough about it so give up that dream.

Velez has highs and lows. James has looked horrible all season long. If he can develop into a better player, great. But his mistake cost us the game tonight. Forget about the ref - I just want to hear Carver's reaction after he sees the tape. 20 seconds on the pitch and he blows it. If this is what you get as a first round pick, then trade Mo should start the trading to see if he can get real players for them.

Lucky Strike
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Velez played well tonight.

He scored, but I remember a couple times where he almost cost us. He had a real sketchy header back to Sutton at one point. I'm still extremely wary of Velez.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-11-2008, 11:49 PM
James is going nowhere, hes still a project in work. Velez, im still up in the air about. He scored, did ok, nothing substantial, saw Attakora out there more than him, granted that could be either a good thing or a bad thing. Velez has had really really bad moments previously that certainly that cant be made up for the good. Its a tough call. JaSmith is defo gone tho.

jloome
10-12-2008, 12:23 AM
If they make a big defender signing in the off season *cough*Stalteri*cough* I could see Velez going, but otherwise I think both will be here. James still deserves 40 lashes for that gaffe in the box though.

And I don't think Velez will be doing any more developing at 28 years old.

....which is why he'll be riding the bench. I said they'll keep James to develop, big guy. I think Velez will ride the pine, unless we get a lot of superior defensive depth in the offseason, in which case he's gonzo alonzo....

...I was about to add "back to the USL", but at the current rate, it may be clearly better than MSL by next season.

Dub Narcotic
10-12-2008, 12:53 AM
....which is why he'll be riding the bench. I said they'll keep James to develop, big guy. I think Velez will ride the pine, unless we get a lot of superior defensive depth in the offseason, in which case he's gonzo alonzo....

...I was about to add "back to the USL", but at the current rate, it may be clearly better than MSL by next season.

Yeah, I don't see the point in developing projects at center back, especially projects who are internationals in a Gold Cup year. Sign a couple of Argentines or something. I hope James isn't around next year, TFC needs some consistency and solidity at the back more than anything.

Broadview
10-12-2008, 07:57 AM
When Mo got Wynne for a draft pick and an allocation last year, nobody at NYRB complained a peep. Until this year anyway, now you hear them asking "What the hell was Arena doing trading away a first round pick, anyway?"

Very few pros are steady and consistent their very first year, or even two. Giving up on James this early could well leave us Marvell Wynned down the road.

If Velez and James are our two second string CB's next season, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world imo. If Nana's ready for that role (he seems to be) then maybe birth certificates dictate Velez moves on

zeelaw
10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Good finish from Velez

CoachGT
10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I don't see the point in developing projects at center back, especially projects who are internationals in a Gold Cup year. Sign a couple of Argentines or something. I hope James isn't around next year, TFC needs some consistency and solidity at the back more than anything.

If center back is a position for development or projects, then James fits. But I've got to believe that there are qualified defenders out there that are cost effective and can play at this level. This is a position where we shouldn't need to rely on internationals who will be playing for their country. Domestic youth players (Canada or the US) should be able to fill this position, preferably US players - Canadians are more likely to be called up for national duty.

If we had not traded Serioux, can you impagine us losing him, Brennan, Harmse and Sutton to national team duty at once? It would completely destroy our backline!

TFC Cityboy
10-12-2008, 12:06 PM
JJ should stay as he has potential tho he has cost us big time this season. If he palyed alongside a quality defender he would develop faster...
No matter what happens, we need to add 2 or 3 proven defenders during the off season.

Shakes McQueen
10-12-2008, 12:33 PM
James has some potential - I would keep him as a sub for next season. I don't want to run him out of town because of one untimely mistake.

- Scott

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Velez out, Nana in. James? I’d give him another year, but he’s going to have to show marked improvement as we have a 19 year old who appears to be an equal or better player.

BuSaPuNk
10-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Velez played well but I don't think enough to get his starting spot back. James cannot be blamed for that gaff in the back, really that shouldn't have been a penalty.