PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Oct. 11

denime
10-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Good Morning !!

TFC, FC Dallas both hungry
Desperate squads need victories badly to keep their waning playoff hopes alive
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Toronto FC's match today against FC Dallas has all the makings of a playoff game in that both teams are fighting for their post-season lives with only three games remaining.
A TFC loss at Dallas won't finish it off but it would require all the elements of the Major League Soccer universe coming together -- losses by all of the teams above them in the standings for the rest of the season -- for the club to move into playoff contention. ......

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/11/7051501-sun.html)

Mitchell on the hot seat
JERRAD PETERS AND PETER MALLETT

Canada's national soccer team faces internal dissension and looming elimination from the 2010 World Cup as it faces Honduras in a qualifying match tonight.
In an interview with The Globe and Mail, national team midfielder Dwayne De Rosario reinforced criticism of head coach Dale Mitchell :hump: made earlier this week by striker Jim Brennan.

"I don't know how someone who coached the under-20s to not score a goal in the World Cup was put in charge of the national team," said De Rosario, the Houston Dynamo playmaker. .... :canada:

FIRE MITCHELL (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081010.wspt_mitchell11/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

TFC TRY TO KEEP SLIM PLAYOFF HOPES ALIVE AGAINST FC DALLAS

Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - Toronto FC will try to keep its postseason hopes alive Saturday at FC Dallas in a battle of bubble teams and, surprisingly, the Canadian team's last two wins have been on the road.
TFC was one of the toughest teams at home early in the season but since June 14 its only wins in its last 15 matches are at Colorado on Aug. 9 and at New York last weekend.....

Read more (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=252205&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_soccer)

Much on line as Hoops host TFC
FC Dallas look to restore home field advantage vs. Reds

FRISCO, Texas -- Thus far this season, playing at Pizza Hut Park hasn't been the big advantage that FC Dallas hoped it would be. The Hoops are just 5-4-5 on their home ground this year and just 2-2-1 in their last five outings in Frisco. That makes Saturday night's match with Toronto FC even more crucial. An FCD win would give them 37 points and likely move the Hoops into third place in the Western Conference and closer to a playoff spot. .....

Read more (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081010&content_id=194831&vkey=news_fcd&fext=.jsp&team=t104)

Do or die for Canada
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LONDON -- France coach Raymond Domenech is in danger of losing his job only two games into World Cup qualifying. Carlos Queiroz is under pressure barely two months after taking the Portugal job.
The two teams are fourth in their qualifying groups, fully knowing that only those nations finishing atop each group are sure to go to South Africa for the 2010 tournament.
Canada, meanwhile, will try to keep its slim qualifying hopes alive at Honduras today. Canada (0-2-1) is third in Group 2 with one point, trailing Honduras by five points and Mexico by eight. A Honduras win and Canada will be eight points in arrears with only six left on the table with two matches remaining. .....

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/11/7051511-sun.html)

http://i33.tinypic.com/20h8vmo.jpg

MOONSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :yikes::puke::mad:

Carter
10-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Mornin D....

One Word...... :puke:

Carts
10-11-2008, 07:36 AM
The current run of Sunshine Girls is now officially worse than our scoreless draught last season...

This is brutal...!!!

Other note: Happy Thanksgiving Weekend D...!!! :)

Carts...

wzhxvy
10-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Wow...I am surprised DeRo made those public comments about Mitchell...I guess he wont play to until Mitchell is fired either...but CSA, this is as much about you fools.

And speaking of turkey, check out the sunshine girl...gobble gobble.

CretanBull
10-11-2008, 07:52 AM
The current run of Sunshine Girls is now officially worse than our scoreless draught last season...

This is brutal...!!!

God save the Queen!

http://www.page3.com/index2.shtml#main-image

Bluenose13
10-11-2008, 08:04 AM
God save the Queen!

http://www.page3.com/index2.shtml#main-image

Wow.......Just wow :D

CretanBull
10-11-2008, 08:17 AM
^ She's so hot, I don't even care that she's from Manchester! :D

koryo
10-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Says Kenny Cooper about Cunny:

"Jeff is a great player and I'm sure he can play with anybody," Cooper said. "He has so many qualities. He's extremely fast, quick and has great touch on the ball."

Great touch on the ball? Extremely fast, quick?

This Cunningham is clearly an imposter, with the real Jeff Cunningham possibly gagged and bound in a basement somewhere in the Burl-Oak area ;)

Not accusing anyone, just sayin' is all

kelzag
10-11-2008, 08:53 AM
This Cunningham is clearly an imposter, with the real Jeff Cunningham possibly gagged and bound in a basement somewhere in the Burl-Oak area ;)

Not accusing anyone, just sayin' is all

So you heard that strange noise in Workie's basement too?

rocker
10-11-2008, 08:55 AM
i'm glad De Rosario said something. There's a crew on the Voyageurs board who have been roasting Brennan for being a traitor -- speaking out in the middle of a campaign.
I guess it's easy to say that about Brennan since he hasn't been a key player. But with De Rosario saying it, i think it has more impact.
on that board, some people were making it seem like Jimmy B was sabotaging the morale of the team by coming out and speaking now. hahaha.. AS IF Jimmy is the only team member that feels this way, and the rest are all perfectly happy. hahah. how naive.

koryo
10-11-2008, 08:59 AM
i'm glad De Rosario said something. There's a crew on the Voyageurs board who have been roasting Brennan for being a traitor -- speaking out in the middle of a campaign.
I guess it's easy to say that about Brennan since he hasn't been a key player. But with De Rosario saying it, i think it has more impact.
on that board, some people were making it seem like Jimmy B was sabotaging the morale of the team by coming out and speaking now. hahaha.. AS IF Jimmy is the only team member that feels this way, and the rest are all perfectly happy. hahah. how naive.

That's just it. You know the players won't be happy with the way the organization is run. They need to take a unified stance and publicly skewer the CSA.

werewolf
10-11-2008, 08:59 AM
new sig.

Hopefully this encourages any of the other players to say something.

CretanBull
10-11-2008, 09:07 AM
That's just it. You know the players won't be happy with the way the organization is run. They need to take a unified stance and publicly skewer the CSA.

That's the problem, there's no organization in the organization. Even players playing in the 2nd and 3rd tier European clubs are used to being in professional set-ups. The fact that some guys travel from the nether regions of Norway to somewhere in Central America to play for us is remarkable....between the travel logistics and shifts in time zones it's amazing that they show up at all. To go through the hassle to play for a governing body as cluesless and counter-productive as our own is a minor miracle...and some people doubt the committment of our players :rolleyes:

koryo
10-11-2008, 09:10 AM
^^ the people in charge of the CSA aren't fit to run a local under-6 league.

Chevy
10-11-2008, 09:29 AM
We have heard rumours about Seve Nicol from NE replacing Carver, but what about Nicol replacing Mitchell as our National team coach? ??????

koryo
10-11-2008, 09:36 AM
We have heard rumours about Seve Nicol from NE replacing Carver, but what about Nicol replacing Mitchell as our National team coach? ??????

Then we have a club vs. country debate on our hands :)

He's a first-rate coach, and I'd be happy to have him in either role TBH.

CretanBull
10-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm not basing this on anything he's said, but I get the impression that Nicol is looking for a club to coach, not a national side...I just think he has more ambition at the club level - unless he's offered a higher profile national side like America.

Draracle
10-11-2008, 11:18 AM
is there anyway to usurp the CSA? I'm sure we could get the players to rebel, the fans are a given ...

rocker
10-11-2008, 12:23 PM
is there anyway to usurp the CSA? I'm sure we could get the players to rebel, the fans are a given ...

not really. FIFA recognizes it as the federation, and any meddling by government or other people is seen as a bad thing.
It's typical of established organizations -- once the org settles into place, it's almost impossible to effect change in them. at least with a club team, you have seasons every year, so if you make change you can hope for effects in meaningful games right away. Since the World Cup is every 4 years, the incompetence is magnified.

Bob Iarusci and others created an organization to try to change things but I haven't heard a thing about that since the start of this year.

RANDOM RANTING CUZ I'M PISSED:
it still makes me sick to see these countries with very little resources and few players playing abroad at a high level still do as well or better than we do. that's embarrassing.
And outside observers (think Ives Galarcep) commented on how good Canada looks on paper. The talent is there now. I don't think we can use the excuse of not having the talent that was used in the past. There's probably a whole load of reasons why Canada can't do well, but talent to me is the least of the worries now. It's operation and coaching, simple. The players I saw under Stephen Hart at the Gold Cup (a tourney NOT as important as qualifying, so you can't say the players "got up" more for the Gold Cup) are the same players as now, but the results are far worse. What has happened to Hutch? What has happened to Dero? What has happened to JDG?? They look like shadows of their usual selves, even though they are all in the prime of their careers. JDG at least has the excuse of injuries recently. But I think it comes down to the way the players have been used. Stephen Hart used them in a different way, and succeeded against CONCACAF opponents. Mitchell has not. Mitchell isn't even good enough to coach in the USL now....

koryo
10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
RANDOM RANTING CUZ I'M PISSED:
it still makes me sick to see these countries with very little resources and few players playing abroad at a high level still do as well or better than we do. that's embarrassing.
And outside observers (think Ives Galarcep) commented on how good Canada looks on paper. The talent is there now. I don't think we can use the excuse of not having the talent that was used in the past. There's probably a whole load of reasons why Canada can't do well, but talent to me is the least of the worries now. It's operation and coaching, simple. The players I saw under Stephen Hart at the Gold Cup (a tourney NOT as important as qualifying, so you can't say the players "got up" more for the Gold Cup) are the same players as now, but the results are far worse. What has happened to Hutch? What has happened to Dero? What has happened to JDG?? They look like shadows of their usual selves, even though they are all in the prime of their careers. JDG at least has the excuse of injuries recently. But I think it comes down to the way the players have been used. Stephen Hart used them in a different way, and succeeded against CONCACAF opponents. Mitchell has not. Mitchell isn't even good enough to coach in the USL now....

Rant duly noted. The CMNT team we're seeing now bears some resemblance to the U-20 side we saw last year. Hiring Mitchell in the wake of that tournament just floored me as he obviously doesn't believe in / doesn't know how to get a side to play aggressive, attacking football.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-11-2008, 01:21 PM

I've read all the anti-Jimmy and anti-DeRo rhetoric as well. Their timing may not be great, but I applaud both players for speaking up against Mitchell and the CSA. VPjr is one of just a few Voyageurs who seem to agree with us.