PDA

View Full Version : Barrett vs McBride

Broadview
10-08-2008, 02:24 PM
In 8 games with the Fire, BMB has two goals.
In 10 games with Toronto FC, Chad Barrett has 4 goals.

Neat-o, isn't it?

TFC 420
10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
MoJO definately bent over Chicago on that deal.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Theyve been with their teams for the same amount of time (give or take).
Two diff positions tho no? (isnt McBride a winger?)
also Barrett has youth on his side as well.
Dont get me wrong, im loving Barrett im hoping he totally comes out of his shell next year and has a 12-15 goal season but all points need to be considered.

Damien
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
and barrett signed a 4 year deal with us... thus confirming he will not go to europe.

we win. case closed.

trane
10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I though McBride is an out and out striker. I am suprised that his production in the MLS has not been better.

jloome
10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
No, McBride's a finishing target man, good feet but mostly supposed to create for a strike partner. Nonetheless at this level, he scored something like 40 more goals than Cunningham in the same amount of time. If he's still got it, he should be prolific here, and that hasn't happened yet.

Could also be because they have a more balanced team there, as well, whereas right now Barrett is the only striker we have who can put the ball in the net.

And he continues to have better numbers each year he plays. He's going to a friggin' monster when he hits his prime at 26-28, when he's still powerful and can accelerate but has learned to finish consistently. Both goals last week were the dead opposite of every easy miss he's had for two months: he did just enough, instead of blasting them with force.

Broadview
10-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Mcbride's been playing forward. Only one assist to go with those two goals as well (Barrett only has 1 also). Too much home cooking I guess.

Honestly I haven't watched Mcbride play so I really can't comment on what he's brought to that team, but I was curious so I peeked at his stats and he's only scored two goals.

Broadview
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
and barrett signed a 4 year deal with us... thus confirming he will not go to europe.

we win. case closed.

First round pick too! Maybe someone we can sell in a year and a half...

Lucky Strike
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Theyve been with their teams for the same amount of time (give or take).
Two diff positions tho no? (isnt McBride a winger?)
also Barrett has youth on his side as well.
Dont get me wrong, im loving Barrett im hoping he totally comes out of his shell next year and has a 12-15 goal season but all points need to be considered.

On the season, Barrett actually has 9 goals and 5 assists. He's been involved in 14 goals. His numbers just don't look as good because he's split time between us and the Chicago Process of Combustion. So he's not too far off your hoped tally. :D

There's no question we won that trade, especially that we have a 1st rounder to go with it. Sure, they're not as valuable as they once were, but at least we have it.

Jack
10-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Good trade by Mo... especially when Barrett is still scoring goals next season and beyond, while McBride is retired.

The Kingpin
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Though I think Toronto will win in the long run, if it hasn't already been mentioned McBride did finish a long season and is upwards in age. But I do really like the moxie that Barrett has brought to the team. Less Ruiz, etc. more character players like this will placate any complains I may have.

joel
10-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Barrett has a great attitude, and work rate. Can't argue with that when the results are coming on the pitch in goals as well.

J .
10-08-2008, 03:09 PM
We won the trade, long term and short term. The first round pick alone is worth a ton... now add in the fact, Barrett is shaping up to be a top flight MLS striker. Yeah, we win.

Fuck the fire, fuck fuck the fire!

nascarguy
10-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I care more about the players attitude over skill it would be nice to have both

Ossington Mental Youth
10-08-2008, 03:15 PM
totally right about McBride, dunno why i thought he was a winger.
Regardless i gotta say we did win with Barrett.
I wonder what Chi fans say (just kidding, who cares)
I know they held some serious grudges against Barrett for missed goals but by god, McBride certainly hasnt produced any... Maybe its hometown syndrome (ie they will love him better no matter what?)

Brooker
10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
McBriiiiiide..... McBride.....

nope. no idea who that is.

BuSaPuNk
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Hmmm younger scored more, way more of an upside and a first round pick??? Just MO MAGIC!!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-08-2008, 03:51 PM
good thread btw

Broadview
10-08-2008, 03:56 PM
good thread btw

This thread was made possible by Gabe Cichero and The Marvelous Marvell Wynne :)

ensco
10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
You win some, you lose some. I'd feel a little better about this if...

Cunny didn't have 5 goals in his last 8 games, and
Esky didn't have 5 goals in his last 5 games, and
Buddle didn't have 13 goals in 23 games.

On the other hand..

it looks like Larissa have dropped Robert, he's not showing on their roster page
http://www.ael1964.gr/playerlist.asp?lang=en

Collin Samuel has 2 goals after 5 games (St Johnstone have played 8 in total)
http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/player.php?param=22

poor old Andy Welsh has made only 5 appearances at Yeovil Town (9 games played) with no goals - they don't even put TFC on his "previous clubs" list
http://www.ytfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10673~18832,00.html (http://www.ytfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10673%7E18832,00.html)

Yeovil Town are dreadful, btw, 23rd out of 24 teams in League One, why do you care, you ask? because its keepers are Asmir Begovic and Josh Wagenaar
http://www.ytfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10673,00.html

rocker
10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I like barrett's effort and brains. He knows what is going on out there. His finishing has been a problem (story of TFC). If he can get to the point where he keeps making the easy ones (like he did on Saturday) then he'll be kicking serious ass later in his career.

T_Mizz
10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Here's the problem, they got Mcbride to be a late season addition to help them get to and win the playoffs, sure he's been scoring but with barrett we've fallen out of the picture, this is through no fault of his though. All I'm saying is to look at the records as well.

ben_vw
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Here's the problem, they got Mcbride to be a late season addition to help them get to and win the playoffs, sure he's been scoring but with barrett we've fallen out of the picture, this is through no fault of his though. All I'm saying is to look at the records as well.

Chicago current record: 12-9-6
Chicago with Barrett: 9-6-3
Chicago with McBride: 3-3-3

Though, since we got Barrett, we're only 2-5-3.

Keyman
10-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I still have my doubts that Barrett can become a great striker in this league, but he has certainly played very well for us since he arrived. I really believed that McBride would have an immediate impact on this league, however, according to the Fire fans that I've talked to, he has been less than impressive (I haven't been able to watch any out of town coverage). There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that MoJo won this trade.

For Barrett to truly become an impact player, he has to become more clinical around the goal, and he has to learn to make smarter runs. He always seems to be a step or two behind Toronto's creative players, which is halting our attack. However, if Barrett is paired up with a top of the line striker, through the signing of a designated player, then Barrett would be a perfect second option, and compliment to the new addition. Let's all cross our fingers that we will soon be calling our striker pairing one of the best in the league!

Jack
10-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Well, at the end of the day, Cunny did not work out here for whatever reason.

The Esky trade was a good idea at the time until ... see above.

As to Buddle...who knew?:noidea:

Hindsight is 20/20

Bottom line is, the situation can obviously affect the player. Some guys thrive in certain environments, some guys don't.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-08-2008, 06:30 PM

i understand what youre saying but theres no certainty that these guys (especially Cunny) would have worked out for us. I still stand by Mo doing the right thing at the right time when we rid of these guys.

Look at Buddle last year, before Beckham, he did nothing.
Cunnys now under a coach with which he won the golden boot.
Esky went a year and two teams before he found the net regularly.

S_D
10-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I agree 125 TFC

As for McBride vs. Barrett

Right now it is advantage TFC no doubt. There is a big but though.

Chicago has been screwing up using Rolfe on the wing, just as they did when Barrett was there. By using him there they have denied McBride a solid strike partner. As well, I am not sure they figured out how they should use McBride. Here is a great quote:

The Fire are still searching for ways to get the ball to their star forward, who has been severely limited in his attacking opportunities in the seven games he has played with the Fire.
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081002&content_id=192357&vkey=news_chf&fext=.jsp&team=t100

In addition, Blanco hasn't had nearly the impact in the second half of the season as he did in the first half nor has he had the impact he had in 2007. Not putting him down at all as he is a class player (but a flopping whiner - had to sneak that in lol)

2007 - 14 games 4 goals 7 assists
2008 - 24 games 6 goals 8 assists

just food for thought.

zeelaw
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Barrett really looks like a player who can feed off of the atmosphere.

He hasnt really shown taht but I just get that feeling about him.

jloome
10-08-2008, 06:35 PM
i understand what youre saying but theres no certainty that these guys (especially Cunny) would have worked out for us. I still stand by Mo doing the right thing at the right time when we rid of these guys.

He's also done nothing in the second half of the season, since Beckham basically went to sleep. 11 goals the first half, two in the second? Now that's the inconsistent Edson Buddle we were introduced to!

CretanBull
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
McBride is a great player. He scores most of his goals with his head off corners and crosses - but still has good feet too. McBride is a consistant proformer, Barrett is a streaky proformer.

I think the major difference in current production levels between McBride and Barrett is that Chicago has several other options, whereas we're more or less counting on Barrett to be THE guy...meaning Barrett is given more opportunities here.

Ultimately though, Barrett is a good fit for us moving forward and McBride is good for Chicago and their need to win now.

Good deal for both teams IMO.

flatpicker
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM

agreed... if David Beckham were playing for Toronto then I am sure Buddle would have done much better here!

I really think it's about having the right teammates.
If you don't jell with certain players then you aren't gonna have success.
These guys have obviously found the right partnerships on the field.
Such is life.

LucaGol
10-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Im starting to think Fire fans are stupid.

They practically booted Barrett out the door.

Draracle
10-08-2008, 08:00 PM
agreed... if David Beckham were playing for Toronto then I am sure Buddle would have done much better here!

I looked this up a while ago, though I can't remember the actual numbers anymore, and Buddle had hardly any (if any) assists directly from Becks and one or 2 from that other douche. I think he is the real deal, we just never played him.

As for Barrett, he has a lot of metal lapses and seems to be pretty useless defending. But he has a wicked eye for the net (even when he misses) and can strike from long or short. With a few very minor tweaks I think he could be a major goal scorer.

jloome
10-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Im starting to think Fire fans are stupid.

They practically booted Barrett out the door.

Stupid and shortsighted. He was their top scorer last year at age 23. What the fuck do they think, all players reach their potential in their first two years!?!

AS soon as Mo or Carver drill a soft touch around goal into his head (his only problem is that he applies way too much power normally), he'll be a regular 12-15 per season. He can beat multiple defenders one-on-one, he has a major -- MAJOR -- acceleration gear, can dribble, and shoots hard. Plus, his positional sense is excellent. It's JUST the finish, which is fixable.

jloome
10-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I looked this up a while ago, though I can't remember the actual numbers anymore, and Buddle had hardly any (if any) assists directly from Becks and one or 2 from that other douche. I think he is the real deal, we just never played him.

As for Barrett, he has a lot of metal lapses and seems to be pretty useless defending. But he has a wicked eye for the net (even when he misses) and can strike from long or short. With a few very minor tweaks I think he could be a major goal scorer.

If he's the real deal (which, recalling quite a few directly assisted Buddle goals this year, I'm pretty sure he's not) then where did he disappear to in th second half? Which, funnily, is what writers like Grant Wahl at SI have been saying about Beckham in the second half. He's a poacher, just like Esky, and if you give him enough scraps or easy service, he'll score. Otherwise, he's grade-c, like a lot of MLS strikers.

You're right about Barrett, though.

Draracle
10-08-2008, 10:29 PM
If he's the real deal (which, recalling quite a few directly assisted Buddle goals this year, I'm pretty sure he's not) then where did he disappear to in th second half? Which, funnily, is what writers like Grant Wahl at SI have been saying about Beckham in the second half. He's a poacher, just like Esky, and if you give him enough scraps or easy service, he'll score. Otherwise, he's grade-c, like a lot of MLS strikers.

You're right about Barrett, though.

true. I had this discussion back at the all-star, and I haven't followed him since. So he very well could have had a blow out first half and then sucked. I don't know. I do know that Becks and Landy were not involved in many of his goals

TorCanSoc
10-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I liked Buddle, not sure why though. Didn't he have two back to back games with hat tricks? That's bloody impressive.

Yohan
10-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Stupid and shortsighted. He was their top scorer last year at age 23. What the fuck do they think, all players reach their potential in their first two years!?!

Eh, at 23, you're more or less a finished product...

Fillipo Inzaghi doesn't seem to have a problem being a poacher... But then again, that guy has some uncanny sense of where the ball is going to be. Personally, I don't care how the guy scores, as long as he puts the ball in the net :cool:

Ossington Mental Youth
10-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I liked Buddle, not sure why though..

im not sure why either

jloome
10-09-2008, 08:38 AM
[quote=Yohan;218730]Eh, at 23, you're more or less a finished product...
/quote]

That's not the generally accepted theory, particularly for strikers, who are expected to peak between 26 and 28. And goalies aren't generally expected to peak any more until their early 30s. Besides "more or less" is a pretty significant range, especiallly when everyone has pretty much stated that all that's missing is the finish.

Technorgasm
10-09-2008, 08:42 AM
In 8 games with the Fire, BMB has two goals.
In 10 games with Toronto FC, Chad Barrett has 4 goals.

Neat-o, isn't it?

+ mass allocaiton $$
+ Draft Pick
+ + + !

we totally raped chicago. . just like we wil do on the 18th!