PDA

View Full Version : How about Boyd or Darcheville?

jloome
10-08-2008, 01:20 AM
I'd have to say Kris Boyd would be a good DP striker. I know he sounds low rent, given that he can't get a first-team game at Rangers, but he has an amazing scoring record and is actually the second leading all-time scorer int he SPL at this point.

Apparently, Jean-Claude D'Archeville, who is an Mpenza style pitbull, is also possibly up for release or sale in the new year.

Given Mo's obviously continuing Rangers connections, perhaps this is why they're so sure already that they'll get a DP next year?

Check the details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Boyd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Darcheville

werewolf
10-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Boyd can definitely find the back of the net. Get it done Mo.

Darcheville says he wants to stay in Glasgow for the rest of his career though - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7261682.stm

p.s. I clicked this link just as I started this youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDcJ1Jb7Khs

BuSaPuNk
10-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Boyd sounds like a good signing obvious talent for scoring, still pretty young and has room to develop. Mabey Mo can get this done with his standing with SPL teams.

arbogast
10-08-2008, 08:26 AM
yeah Kris Boyd would be a great signing, but is he even remotely interested in moving overseas? I'm sure there are plenty of other clubs in Europe who would be willing to pay top dollar for his services that don't play on turf.

Fort York Redcoat
10-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Boydie is a fan favourite and is living the dream if he was playing day in day out. It would take serious money I think to get him away from the blue side of Glasgow. I'd love to see him here. I think SPL play is comparable to MLS minus the old firm and I think he's do well.

trane
10-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Either would be a great signing. I would prefer Boydie, but D'Archeville seems more likely. I wonder what Canadian Bhoy would think about the video or signing one of these two.

jloome
10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Given what most people who sign off with "bhoy" tend to think of Mo Johnston, we could hazard a guess...

Boyd has become a perennial bench player who scores all the time anyway. He almost went to Cardiff in the Euro off-season, so I can see him going to MLS as a big dollar dp. A $2.5M a season contract like Blanco's still amounts to $50,000 a week, or about $25,000 pounds a week. I suspect even at Rangers he's not making that kind of bread.

Given that he would almost certainly put up league-leading goal scoring numbers, it might even be worth offering him more.

jloome
10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Boyd can definitely find the back of the net. Get it done Mo.

Darcheville says he wants to stay in Glasgow for the rest of his career though - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7261682.stm

p.s. I clicked this link just as I started this youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDcJ1Jb7Khs

Dude, that Darcheville story is eight months old, from February! The papers there are reporting over the last week that he's one of several players likely to be cut loose in the January window because they need to cut down the wage bill after buying their new midfielders.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=893959

Bars92
10-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Boyd, not happening. How about Nacho Novo?

jloome
10-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Boyd, not happening. How about Nacho Novo?

At MLS level? Also very good.

Why not Boyd? Will he not leave his home club, even though Smith doesn't favour him to start?

druid
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Boyd can score against limited opponents but he doesn't really offer anything else, its why he's on the bench. Barret is a good enough all round player that the two might make a decent partnership. We'd have to see an increase in crosses from the by-line for him to work out, basically the same thing we should be doing but aren't for Dichio.

A lot of french fans have described D'Archeville as having square feet. Made one of the most incredible misses in Champions League history against Lyon. Worth watching the clip if you can find it. He's getting old. And fat. I'd pass.

Novo is a very dirty player and would get suspended frequently with the attitude of the MLS refs. Wouldn't want him anywhere BMO Field.

jloome
10-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Druid, I respect your opinion on this stuff, but really, the guy had 117 goals in 230-odd games heading into this season, all in the SPL, a league most people seem to agree is quite similar to MLS.

"All he does is score goals" always reminds me of what Buddy Ryan said about Cris Carter: "all he does is catch touchdowns."

druid
10-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Druid, I respect your opinion on this stuff, but really, the guy had 117 goals in 230-odd games heading into this season, all in the SPL, a league most people seem to agree is quite similar to MLS.

"All he does is score goals" always reminds me of what Buddy Ryan said about Cris Carter: "all he does is catch touchdowns."

You must be bored today if you're responding to that post since I was basically agreeing, with some caveats. :)

That said, the SPL is nothing like the MLS. Its faster, rougher, and dominated by two teams that far out strip the others. Boyd can score when Rangers dominate other teams, he doesn't usually score against Celtic or in the Champions league so I think there's a little more risk than the stats suggest. How would he fair against better teams or teams of the same calibre? Hard to say, I think he'd do all right in the scoring department given his record at Kilmarnock but it would still carry some risk.

Boyd would also severely limit TFC's tactical options because of his one dimensionality. He would only be capable of playing in certain formations, having your big earner on the bench a third of the time wouldn't be good...

But like I said, Barrett probably sweats enough for both of them and you never know how things will work out till you try them. But we could definitely wind up with worse.

jloome
10-09-2008, 09:30 AM
You must be bored today if you're responding to that post since I was basically agreeing, with some caveats. :)

That said, the SPL is nothing like the MLS. Its faster, rougher, and dominated by two teams that far out strip the others. Boyd can score when Rangers dominate other teams, he doesn't usually score against Celtic or in the Champions league so I think there's a little more risk than the stats suggest. How would he fair against better teams or teams of the same calibre? Hard to say, I think he'd do all right in the scoring department given his record at Kilmarnock but it would still carry some risk.

Boyd would also severely limit TFC's tactical options because of his one dimensionality. He would only be capable of playing in certain formations, having your big earner on the bench a third of the time wouldn't be good...

But like I said, Barrett probably sweats enough for both of them and you never know how things will work out till you try them. But we could definitely wind up with worse.

Yeah, the formation thing is an issue. He can't really play wide, so any 451/433 is out. Might be an issue. Still, crazy strike rate, and that's pretty much always good.

ben_vw
10-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I like the idea jloome. Nice to see some people aren't hoping for a 35 year old washed up "big name".

Another player that might come to mind as a young striker with years ahead of him is Portsmouth's David Nugent. He was at Preston Northend with Danny Dichio a few years back. I wonder if Danny could sell him on MLS.

canadian_bhoy
10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
While his strike rate is admirable - are people legitimately contemplating bringing in Boyd as a DP for TFC? Seriously? Boyd? DP????

As for D'Archeville - here is one of his many highlights

hnVyjzW_4Uk

trane
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
^Cunnigham was signed with the Rangers? I never heard that.

druid
10-09-2008, 12:08 PM

That's the one I was talking about! It never fails to make me laugh. :)

Yohan
10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I like the idea jloome. Nice to see some people aren't hoping for a 35 year old washed up "big name".

Another player that might come to mind as a young striker with years ahead of him is Portsmouth's David Nugent. He was at Preston Northend with Danny Dichio a few years back. I wonder if Danny could sell him on MLS.
He's been subject of big money moves. With also an England cap, no way TFC will be able to get him. can't afford his transfer fee and I don't see Portsmouth giving up a prospect like him for free

rocker
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
great defensive clearance at the last second on that highlight. D'Archville doesn't even get a foot on it.

jloome
10-09-2008, 01:15 PM
While his strike rate is admirable - are people legitimately contemplating bringing in Boyd as a DP for TFC? Seriously? Boyd? DP????

hnVyjzW_4Uk

And what would you suggest, Canadian Bhoy? Thierry Henry? Nicolas Anelka? Please. Get real. We're not going to sign Ronaldo, we're not going to sign anyone of that level, period.

Outside of David Beckham and Schellotto, every single one of the DPs in the league right now has had aperiod in his career when he was presumed to have washed out in Europe before arriving here: Blanco in Spain, Gallardo at PSG, Luciano Emilio at FC Koln, Angel at Villa. Even the league's returning "legend", Brian McBride, couldn't hack it there until he was in his 30's flaming out miserably on a loan to PNE.

So we have to look at players who will perform at the highest level in THIS league. Their notoriety is meaningless: die-hard soccer fans who know them here are already helping to sell out BMO. Non fans won't become interested because a person they've never heard of comes from England.

So yeah, Kris Boyd for DP. In fact, I'll take any striker at league two or above who has consistently through his career scored better than a goal every 3 games -- because that would instantly put them amongst the best finishers in our league. Maybe not always as DP -- some lower league strikers like Jamie Forrester and Scott McGleish -- could certainly be had cheaper.

But as long as they bag 15 for us in the league, I could give a toss where they come from and how much we pay them. 15 extra goals this year, and we don't have a 17-out-of-19 loss streak.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-09-2008, 01:31 PM
But as long as they bag 15 for us in the league, I could give a toss where they come from and how much we pay them.

pretty much it right here.
kinda frustrating when peoples allegiances with their euro teams play into their support for TFC. Theres plenty of players teams i despise in europe and a good 99% of em id love to have play for our TFC. Gotta leave that shit in the old country.

canadian_bhoy
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
pretty much it right here.
kinda frustrating when peoples allegiances with their euro teams play into their support for TFC. Theres plenty of players teams i despise in europe and a good 99% of em id love to have play for our TFC. Gotta leave that shit in the old country.

The fact that I have photo's (smiling ones) with Mo Johnston and have had chats with him on several occasions is a testament to how much you are talking out of your a$$ right now.

Why do I not want Boyd as our DP? Cuz he 'plays' for rangers? no ... I just expect our DP to have a little more credentials than being a 'star' at Kilmarnock and playing for Rangers (now relegated to bench most matches). The latest club to go after him? Cardiff City.

WOW! He's in high demand! Mo, get on the horn and sign this wonder kid!!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
didnt point the finger at you specifically, so you need to slow down.
Just saying i agree with it and its something that has popped its nasty head in this forum several times.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
that being said, the reasons behind not wanting to sign Boyd have been minimal on your part. you dont have to defend them but it never hurts to explain them

jloome
10-09-2008, 03:39 PM
The fact that I have photo's (smiling ones) with Mo Johnston and have had chats with him on several occasions is a testament to how much you are talking out of your a$$ right now.

Why do I not want Boyd as our DP? Cuz he 'plays' for rangers? no ... I just expect our DP to have a little more credentials than being a 'star' at Kilmarnock and playing for Rangers (now relegated to bench most matches). The latest club to go after him? Cardiff City.

Interesting that you jumped to that assumption when Oss never even suggested that he was referring to you.

Also interesting that the target they went for right after Boyd was Kenny Cooper, for the same money. Would you turn down Kenny Cooper's 16-20 goals a year for DP money, because he's not a big enough name? I wouldn't.

RPB_Brantford_08
10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
No more dealing with the Ibrox club might as well deal with Satan...there has to be better players then the two mentioned..FFS

jloome
10-10-2008, 12:13 AM
"Satan" just gave us over $3M for Maurice Edu. Satan, evidently, is feeling awfully generous these days.

trane
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
There is not only one "Satan" there are many, for me they are Inter, Liverpool and Man U.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-10-2008, 11:11 AM
theres a ton of satans but youre telling me noone would want to sign a great player from any of these 'satans' that could make an instant impact for TFC simply because they play for some team you hate in another country?

Get over it, youre in Canada supporting TFC.
I supported Bremen for more than a decade before TFC existed.
I hate Bayern and HSV with a passion. I sure as fuck wouldnt be angry if they sent over Klose (a fucking traitor btw) or Olic. I generally hold italian players and teams in great distain but id gladly welcome Materazzi (who i think its possibly the dirtiest player in Europe) or Cassano.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Such a tired point of view.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I can honestly say that i think my hatred of Columbus and Montreal has usurped my hatred of HSV and Bayern. Even then i dont htink id cry foul if we signed anyone of their players (provided they had talent).

giambac
10-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I'd have to say Kris Boyd would be a good DP striker. I know he sounds low rent, given that he can't get a first-team game at Rangers, but he has an amazing scoring record and is actually the second leading all-time scorer int he SPL at this point.

Apparently, Jean-Claude D'Archeville, who is an Mpenza style pitbull, is also possibly up for release or sale in the new year.

Given Mo's obviously continuing Rangers connections, perhaps this is why they're so sure already that they'll get a DP next year?

Check the details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Boyd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Darcheville

Please,

for once wake up and talk real soccer.
2nd leading score in SP, so what. That's like saying a hockey player is the leading scorer in the minor leagues.

The SPL isn't much better if in fact it is better than the MLS.

Mo has done enough with the English and Scottish players and coaches who haven't done anything for the team.

The teams goal is to improve for next year, Right?

So talk about real talent for a change around the globe , in Europe, South America and Africa.

I can't beleive that some people are still asking Mo to use his connections in Scotland to bring ove rpalyers. IT's been 2 years of no improvement. I guess you want a 3rd year. UNBELIEVABLE.

Bars92
10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Boyd was being looked at by German teams, why would he sell himself short and come to MLS in his prime? This thread is out to lunch :D.

billygrieveuk
10-11-2008, 08:23 AM
we play vancouver in the champions league, not Lyon!
and i am sure on the day Aberdeen or hearts could hump must MLS sides.
do not underestimate the quality of the scottish league.
I went to rangers games in glasgow for 2 years, and the quality of the play is very good. Boyd, novo...they would kill it over here!

coisty1966
10-12-2008, 08:24 AM

hmmmmm...rangers had another that they said was only one dementional and could only score goals....ally mccoist..sure youve heard of him? boyd or someone like hime has been what this team has crying out for...a POACHER! someone that even if the ball hits his backside it goes into the net...someone that even in the 93rd minute can grab one

Moe911
10-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Why not chris iwelumo hes a lethal finisher..

jloome
10-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Why not chris iwelumo hes a lethal finisher..

Very underrated, because he took a while to develop. Would kill in MLS, very much a kenny cooper type, although I think better in the air than cooper.