PDA

View Full Version : 40 Points

James17930
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Can we do it?

And will it take maximum points from the last three games to make it into the playoffs? Or do you think we could do it with two wins and a draw (38 points)?

How confident is everybody?

Keyman
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Not confident at all, but that doesn't mean I'm not hopeful! :D

I think we will need max. points, which will be very tough.
Whatever.
COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

Bluenose13
10-07-2008, 10:12 PM
40 pts pretty much guarantee's us a spot......38 might just do it with a bit of help.

A draw against Dallas would still keep us alive that's for sure.

Yohan
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
If TFC somehow miraculously win at Dallas, we will get into playoffs.

I stake my soul on this.

James17930
10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe we need a 'The March to 40' Banner at the Chicago game or something.

If we win in Dallas.

Jack
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Even if we get 38, it's still a 13 point improvement over last year.

Not as much of a disaster as some might believe.

James17930
10-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Even if we get 38, it's still a 13 point improvement over last year.

Not as much of a disaster as some might believe.

That's very true. But would a lot of the fans see it that way? Or would they simply say that 'no playoffs means no progress?'

I'm happy with the progress this year, even though I had written them off in my mind a while ago.

But now . . . there is actually that small sliver of hope, and I admit I'm taking the bait and getting excited! :taz:

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 10:26 PM
A win in Dallas would sure help that cause. Even if we don't this season was still a steping stone to down the road. Improvement is improvement. 40 isn't out of the question atleast in my mind. COME ON YOU REDS!!

bhoybobby
10-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Not hopeful, but that's why you play the games, they're capable, depends which team shows up. Cue the cliches

J .
10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
FCD is a must win for us. No doubt about it. 40 points would make the season a sucess I think.

Plus with what we can acquire in the offseason.... things are on the up and up for S3 next year.

Ron Manager
10-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Need the win in Dallas. Chicago will be tough even though we are at home. All our remaining games are winnable and wouldn't it make for a great finish?

Cambridge_Red
10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
We need 40. Better than last year, but not as good as we should've been.

James Oliphant
10-08-2008, 12:29 AM
All I care about this weekend is that someone needs to punch Jeff Cunningham in the balls.

A kick will suffice. In fact, get in their spikes first...

James17930
10-08-2008, 12:35 AM
All I care about this weekend is that someone needs to punch Jeff Cunningham in the balls.

That's giving him too much notice, maybe, eh? I'd rather see him have a non-existent match and then disappear into the twilight.

Besides, the last thing we need right now is a suspension ;)

BuSaPuNk
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Too bad Ruiz isn't playing!! lol!

Fort York Redcoat
10-08-2008, 08:40 AM
That's very true. But would a lot of the fans see it that way? Or would they simply say that 'no playoffs means no progress?'

I'm happy with the progress this year, even though I had written them off in my mind a while ago.

But now . . . there is actually that small sliver of hope, and I admit I'm taking the bait and getting excited! :taz:

I take little from Toronto sneaking into the playoffs since the surrounding teams in the standings can do it for them. I know I'm the minority here but I don't take solice (or much interest) in the playoffs. It's just the way I look at the sport. Columbus will more than likely win the league this weekend and the rest of us (if we're lucky) play an end of the year tournament for another comparably young piece of silverware.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-08-2008, 08:46 AM
im always amazed at how little value is put into the supporters shield, bit of a shame really

Angelo1405
10-08-2008, 08:59 AM
i really think TFC will make the playoffs this year. i dont know whats with the doubters...

Jack
10-08-2008, 09:01 AM
im always amazed at how little value is put into the supporters shield, bit of a shame really
It's the way sports are in North America.

Even Mexico, which has a long footy tradition, plays a post-season tournament.

There's nothing wrong with slight regional variations on the theme.

trane
10-08-2008, 09:04 AM
If we can get a ten win season, even if we do not make the playoffs then we can truly be satsifed that we are getting better. That is what I would like to see 10 wins. We can still do that. If we have trully straighten out we should be able to do it. There is no unwinable game, not in the MLS. If we defend Dichio beats them up, and Barret capatelizes then we can win them all. I just want to see fire and grit out there.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-08-2008, 09:07 AM
It's the way sports are in North America.

Even Mexico, which has a long footy tradition, plays a post-season tournament.

There's nothing wrong with slight regional variations on the theme.

didnt know the bit about Mexico, interesting fact.
I agree that its not a bad variation, i do think its a bid sad they really dont emphasize the importance of the shield tho as its quite an achievement to have a record like Columbuses (or New Englands last year)

Jack
10-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree that its not a bad variation, i do think its a bid sad they really dont emphasize the importance of the shield tho as its quite an achievement to have a record like Columbuses (or New Englands last year)

I agree it's an accomplishment.

Yeah, in Mexico they divide up into 3 groups. I think the first two teams in each group go through plus the next four best wild cards. The two first place teams in each group get a first round by and the four remaining teams play a preliminary round to be the last two teams to round out the 8 "liguilla" teams. So out of 18 teams, 10 have a chance of winning the championship.

Then they do two-leg matches all the way through (I think even the final is two legs, if I recall correctly) and the tie-breaker is regular season points, so how you finish plays a huge role in the post-season tourney.

They have two champions, one for the "apertura" (opening) and one for the "clausura" (closing) tournament. Then those two play each other at the end of the season for the Supercampeon title. The overall table winner (superlider) also gets something.

They also have promotion relegation based on a points system that lasts over the whole year.

It's a complicated system, but it makes for a lot of meaningful matches during the course of the season and has been wildly successful in Mexico.

One other interesting point: there is a rule in the Mexican league that players under 21 must play a certain number of minutes during the season, as a means to promote the development of young, homegrown talent.

BuSaPuNk
10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I agree it's an accomplishment.

Yeah, in Mexico they divide up into 3 groups. I think the first two teams in each group go through plus the next two best wild cards.

Then they do two-leg matches all the way through (I think even the final is two legs, if I recall correctly)

They have two champions, one for the "apertura" (opening) and one for the "clausura" (closing) tournament. Then those two play each other at the end of the season for the Supercampeon title. The overall table winner (superlider) also gets something.

They also have promotion relegation based on a points system that lasts over the whole year.

It's a complicated system, but it makes for a lot of meaningful matches during the course of the season and has been wildly successful in Mexico.

Mabey that is something that the MLS should adopt. Would make alot of games a lot more important to teams.

Fort York Redcoat
10-08-2008, 09:21 AM

I agree. I'll take having a top league team here regardless of it's NA version. Just a question of preference. I don't expect wholesale change to single table and dropping the playoff format for the inter woven scheduled league cup. I do appreciate MLS using the academy example and a regional wide tournament that is succesfully used around the world.

ensco
10-08-2008, 09:23 AM
86.8% chance of getting in, if we get 40 points
31.9% chance of getting in, if we get 38 points
6.0% chance, if we get 37 points

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/M...TorontoFC.html (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html)

Technorgasm
10-08-2008, 09:28 AM
7 of 9 I dont think is unreasonable. .

its all down to CUNNY and FCD.

DESTROY!
DESTROY!
DESTROY!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Defo alot of food for thought with the Mexican system.
I can see Garber/MLS FO be so arrogant as to ignore its successes

Derko
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM

i am also happy with the progress that TFC has achieved this season.
Playoffs would be a bonus.
As far as the 'FANS' that say 'no playoffs means no progress?' can bugger off!!

giambac
10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Can we do it?

And will it take maximum points from the last three games to make it into the playoffs? Or do you think we could do it with two wins and a draw (38 points)?

How confident is everybody?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say

0 :cool:

that's how confident I am.

Bluenose13
10-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Shocking :rolleyes:

Laurignano
10-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I have low expectations so I cannot get upset :D. Too many times this has happened in torontos sports, too many times. false hope.

tfc_4_ever
10-09-2008, 05:44 PM

ip1zsUIosoA
:D:noidea:

Laurignano
10-09-2008, 05:53 PM
ip1zsUIosoA

what the hell ?! lol

J .
10-09-2008, 06:10 PM
ip1zsUIosoA

so true....so true....

J .
10-09-2008, 06:12 PM

is your name nancy? you are awfully negative.

TFC Via Buffalo
10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
ip1zsUIosoA

Best. Post. Ever.

Draracle
10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html

so we all know who to cheer for this week.