PDA

View Full Version : Brennan retires from national team...for now

Blizzard
10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I just heard the news. More info to come.

B

Shaughno
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Knew it was coming really. With the chance of qualifying this year pretty much in the shitter, and knowing he wouldn't play in the WC after that... it's just a reality really.

Great news for TFC though.

Lucky Strike
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Can't say I blame him...and we get to keep him. Not that he needs it, but I totally support him in his decision.

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah great news for TFC. I can't help but wonder though if it was also due to the frustration at not playing. I personally think he should have been starting atleast every game.

Damien
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Maybe on the way out he can say how stupid the CSA is.

Razor
10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Maybe on the way out he can say how stupid the CSA is.

dude, you playing tonight?

Technorgasm
Bottler.

I kid! I kid!

WALK ON TFC!

Fort York Redcoat
I was gonna put him on my jersey. Maybe I still will. Newmarket. Represent!

You know this is quality if he's retiring just as questions were raised about this last Canada squad announcement. He wants to pour his all into the club he captains.

Now if he was starting every game it would be another story...

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
crazy, cant say i blame him.
Glad he can now focus on TFC.
We still love you Jimmy!

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I was gonna put him on my jersey. Maybe I still will. Newmarket. Represent!

You know this is quality if he's retiring just as questions were raised about this last Canada squad announcement. He wants to pour his all into the club he captains.

Now if he was starting every game it would be another story...

I'm going to be putting him on my jersey as well. This guy personifiys what we love about this team. He is a great captain, great canadian, and great person.

Jimmy Brennan = Heart n Soul!! :canada:

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 12:54 PM
It's a little selfish, but I am glad Jimmy can now concentrate on Canada instead of having to worry about his participation with the national club that is currently (and really has always been) in such disarray.

Damien
10-07-2008, 01:02 PM
dude, you playing tonight?

probably not, work :(

MartinUtd
10-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Sucks... was hoping we could get another gold cup out of him :(

Carter
10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
pictures or i don't believe it.

Canary Canuck
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Not that I'm defending Mitchell here but if the rumours of Jimmy being openly pissed about not playing are true then it's a tough spot for a coach. Klukowski is first choice left back. That's just reality. If Jimmy can't handle being a back up and is going to complain about it then the coach has zero choice but to leave him off the team and give his spot to the younger De Jong. The retirement seems like a bitter thing to do with the qualification campaign (technically) not over yet.

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 01:53 PM
We don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I highly doubt it is ONLY about being left off the team. Rumours were that most of the team has been unhappy and this may be a product of what is happening in the locker room. Mitchell has not earned the confidence of ANYONE except maybe the stupid CSA board.

zeelaw
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Bottler.

I kid! I kid!

WALK ON TFC!

lol Carra

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
at this time in his career..Jimmy has decided his Club football comes first these days...and i respect him for that!!! THANKS FOR YEARS OF SERVICE YOU PUT FORWARD FOR YOUR COUNTRY!..WELL DONE LAD! THANKS

Many players have done this in the ladder stages of there careers...Shearer and Shcoles to name a few!!....

Toronto Ruffrider
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I can't say I blame Jimmy for his decision. Canada has good depth at the LB position, whether we're talking about Klukowski or de Jong. At this point in his career, I can't see Jimmy wanting to pass up playing for his club just to sit on Canada's bench.

I think Jimmy deserves a round of applause for representing our MNT. You've done Canada proud over the years, Jimmy. Thank you!:canada:

johnmolinaro
10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/07/cdasoccer-brennan-reaction.html

good news for Toronto FC, bad news for Canada.

Damien
10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Good to see Jimmy is speaking out against the national program! Thanks, john!

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Good on him, showing the frustration the players and supporters are having under Mitchell and the obviously unqualified CSA.

NewcastleFan
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Good for him wanting change to the csa

Fort York Redcoat
10-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Let's see how accountable the CSA is in its response. I'm hoping for another CSA interview on the soccer show fan 590.

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Jimmy B has brass ones.

He is standing for something he believes in...something we all believe in. He is doing us all a favour. Finally, someone is speaking up.

THIS is why he is my favourite player.

Keyman
10-07-2008, 03:05 PM
This is why Jim is my favourite player

I just can't explain how happy I am to see him come out and say what is on his mind. It takes a lot of courage to do something like this, especially in the midst of a WCQ campaign.

Nodoubtguy
10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
If a few more players come out like this, it would be a mess and changes would have to be started ASAP

yellowfellow
10-07-2008, 03:09 PM
The fact is that all these sports organizations in Canada are corrupted. Except hockey. But look at the canadian basketball program and how Steve Nash walked out and told the world how messed up it is. I love Jimmy B. But, if Nash can't do anything for Canadian basketball, I don't think he can for soccer.

We will continue to suck at sports that the world cares about and keep winning in a sport that no one else cares about...

Heathen
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
If only Canada had a team of him

OneLoveOneEric
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Good on Jim.
Yet for some reason when Hargreaves told the CSA to take a leap and went to Germany and England instead, he's a traitor???

Cue the chorus of "but it's not the same!!!"

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 03:12 PM
If only Canada had a team of him

We all dream of a team of Jimmy Bs...
A team of Jimmy Bs
A team of Jimmy Bs...

werewolf
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Good on Jim.
Yet for some reason when Hargreaves told the CSA to take a leap and went to Germany and England instead, he's a traitor???

:rofl: thats not even close to the same.

1. How is Germany in the equation at all?
2. He didn't go to England instead, he went to Wales
3. He has given the national team almost 50 games of service and shown his class over the years. He didn't sell himself out on multiple occasions.

:canada:

:topic:

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
We all dream of a team of Jimmy Bs...
A team of Jimmy Bs
A team of Jimmy Bs...

If only that was possible!

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Good on Jim.

But it isn't. Jimmy isn't running out to play for somebody else.

But I don't exactly feel he is a traitor as much as he never really gave a damn about Canadian soccer.

flatpicker
10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Good on Jim.

Save the Hargreaves topic for another day...

It sure as hell has been a tough battle to get results from the CSA.
I applaud Brennan for speaking out.
I just pray to God that some change will come.

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 03:17 PM
^Not bloody likely. But we can all hope my friend.

werewolf
10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
If Radzinski retires after these next two games (or even after the Gold Cup), he has some things to say on the way out as well...Onstad too.

Heathen
10-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Good on Jim.

Yeah that's the same situation isn't it :rolleyes: if Hargreaves had played 47 times for Canada then he can tell the CSA to take a leap

rocker
10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
yeah, the Hargreaves comparison is shite (like the red bulls).

he didn't have the balls to wait and someday play for the team in the first place, so he has no credibility. he didn't pay his dues, wait, and then get his chance with Canada.
for all we know, he could have had English stars in his eyes the whole time, and that was just an excuse. Jimmy has the credibility of someone who has actually played for the team. He has taken that chance. Hargreaves took the easy way out.

OneLoveOneEric
10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
^^^They wouldn't pick him, but I won't belabour the point.

rocker
10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
^^^They wouldn't pick him, but I won't belabour the point.

so every young player should be picked? Hargreaves wasn't the guy we know today back then.
when you're a young guy you wait and bide your time, as many guys have on the Canadian team.

but if you want to defend traitors, go ahead. shows your own character ;)

Whoregreaves being compared to Jimmy B makes me sick.

McBrace
10-07-2008, 03:32 PM
If by the final game team Canada has no chance, all the player should walk off in protest! That mught get some attention. Not like the CSA can exclude all of them for the next tourney, or can they?

OneLoveOneEric
^^My character actually would love to see a nationless, borderless world actually. Where people didn't give a shit about things like this, and where they realized that your country is made up, and is just the place your parents decided to have sex.
But I digress ;)

BuSaPuNk
It's no different than Brett Hull. Couldn't handle he wasn't picked for the Jr team so he went to the states. Hey if you can get a spot on a national team somewhere eles as an athlete go for it. They still should however stay with there home country.

Dirk Diggler
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Good on Jim.

How is it the same? Is Jim Brennan joining the USMNT now?

werewolf
10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
:topic:

lets focus on Jimmy and the CSA, not sell-outs.

yellowfellow
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Jimmy B is no sellout. Mitchell is the problem. I hope the players kick him off the plane and leave him in Hondurus.

Keegan
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah great news for TFC. I can't help but wonder though if it was also due to the frustration at not playing. I personally think he should have been starting atleast every game.

He should have been starting at least every game. lol that is a QUOTE of the century. He should have started more than every game!!! lol

J .
10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
CSA and their Mitchell stooge is the problem. Fucking garbages. You cant get anything more out of that lineup? Fuck right off. We SHOULD have beaten Jamaica and Honduras, I am fucking sorry, both of those games and Mitchell blew it and the CSA always sets us up for failure.

Keegan
10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
CSA and their Mitchell stooge is the problem. Fucking garbages. You cant get anything more out of that lineup? Fuck right off. We SHOULD have beaten Jamaica and Honduras, I am fucking sorry, both of those games and Mitchell blew it and the CSA always sets us up for failure.

Don't be sorry. Everyone knows we should have won both those games it isn't a secret and I don't think anyone will disagree.

Jamaica has Jamaican league players. Honduras had players from a team Montreal just beat in Honduras and both goals were scored by an MLS reject! We have MLS stars on our bench some games.

andyc
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I have so much respect for Jimmy....

He is class!

Axeman
10-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm going to be putting him on my jersey as well. This guy personifiys what we love about this team. He is a great captain, great canadian, and great person.

Jimmy Brennan = Heart n Soul!! :canada:
Couldn't Agree more, Fuck Mitchell for not starting him, and Klukowski did shit in the first few games!
You'll always be a true Canadian Jimmy B!:canada:

Redcoe15
10-08-2008, 07:36 AM
My signature below says it all! :canada:

Shaughno
10-08-2008, 10:36 AM
but if you want to defend traitors, go ahead. shows your own character ;)

Not to take this off track, but really... that's a pretty bad statement.

OH is a traitor in YOUR opinion, and obviously other's as well. You have your reasons, but to base judgement on a person's character due to ONE opinion on ONE player who neither of you personally know... THAT my friend, speaks volumes. ;)

Toronto Ruffrider
10-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Here's the video of Jimmy's retirement interview from Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/popup/soccer/20081007_SOC_Jim_Brennan_1_on_1

NateDoGG
10-08-2008, 12:37 PM
i think jim is as sick of the csa as the rest of us.. good for him, but still, kind pathetic that he would leave at his prime....