PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC Perks?

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
I remember a couple of weeks ago - I think it was after our lass to Kansas City - Carver mentioned in the post-game media scrum, something to the effect that if you asked any of the players that have come from other clubs what it was like being in Toronto, they would tell you about all of the treatment, and attention they get here, that they don't get at any other MLS teams.

I was just wondering - does anyone know specifically what he's talking about? What perks does Toronto have for it's players, that you don't get anywhere else in MLS?

Besides playing in front of a full house every week. :D

- Scott

joel
10-07-2008, 09:57 AM
XJ's for everyone before and after the game

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 09:57 AM
The perk of not having to live in dead towns like Columbus, Kansas City or Salt Lake City.

The perk of not having to pay an arm and a leg to live in NY or LA.

The perk of not having your playing grounds 25 miles outside the city like Dallas or Chicago.

The perk of having boisterous fans and a filled stadium. And maybe even a little celebrity, a hell of a lot more than you'd get in most US cities.

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
The perk of not having to live in dead towns like Columbus, Kansas City or Salt Lake City.

The perk of not having your playing grounds 25 miles outside the city like Dallas or Chicago.

The perk of having boisterous fans and a filled stadium. And maybe even a little celebrity, a hell of a lot more than you'd get in most US cities.

I get all of that stuff, but the way Carver was talking about it, made it sound as thought they get some sort of special medical/fitness treatments that you don't get anywhere else.

I'm talking more about tangible things the club does for the players - not just byproducts of the club's location, and playing ground.

Maybe I'm wrong.

- Scott

Jay P
10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Paul Winsper and his sport specific conditioning

Damien
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I've heard some of the players mention our facilities here are the best in the league... whatever they mean by that.

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM

But doesn't every team have a fitness coach? I imagine Winsper is probably the best, however.

- Scott

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I bet it comes down to better facilities, trainers, therapists etc.

They really do benefit from being connected to MLSE, despite what MLSE-haters around here like to complain. MLSE has some of the best access to sports-related services in North America, surpassed probably only by huge teams like the Yankees and the Cowboys. I am sure that makes a big difference for a player.

The ONLY thing that would make this really the ideal place for a player would be the grass pitch. MLSE really needs to push for that.

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah Paul Winsper is the best at what he does. Defenitly the best conditioning coach in the leauge. They have segments on FOX SPORTS WORLD I believe that shows his routine. The anchor for the soccer report I believe is doing his routine. He lost like something like 5-7 pounds in a week.

gmacpheetfc
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Toronto FC Major League Soccer team (2008 value: $44 million USD (2nd in MLS)) [4]**

http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/09/mls-soccer-beckham-biz-sports-cz_kb_0909mlsvalues_slide_3.html?thisSpeed=15000

would make sense that we would have one of the best facilities due to that fact and the fact that we're tied to a Billion Dollar Company.

Nuvinho
10-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I know everyone bashes MLSE, but they are a class organization when it comes to treating their players. Finding them accomodations, getting them used to the city, etc.

As well the facilities and Winsper can really help out a player. For example, look at Barrett, he couldn't last 60 minutes, now he is in better shape.

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I know everyone bashes MLSE, but they are a class organization when it comes to treating their players. Finding them accomodations, getting them used to the city, etc.

As well the facilities and Winsper can really help out a player. For example, look at Barrett, he couldn't last 60 minutes, now he is in better shape.

I always found this funny, when Barrett came over. Carver was always talking about how horribly out of shape Barrett was for the first few weeks.

First thing I wondered, was "how shitty are the facilities in Chicago, anyway?" :D

- Scott

redcard
10-07-2008, 10:35 AM
i think the perks are actually gifts that mlse gives the players, not necessarily related to the on field stuff.

Cambridge_Red
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Zanzibar

Nuvinho
10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
i think the perks are actually gifts that mlse gives the players, not necessarily related to the on field stuff.

I remember hearing that when each player came the 1st year, they all got a gift bag with a watch and other gifts.

rocker
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Harry Rosen suits......

Oldtimer
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
The team gets access to all of the equipment, physiotherapists, etc. that the Leafs have at the ACC, as well as their own trainers, etc.

For example, I know for a fact that one of the top chiropractors in Ontario works for MLSE.

I remember it being mentioned that unlike other MLS clubs, TFC springs for a full (Winsper-approved) lunch on workdays.

Oldtimer
10-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Winsper-approved lunch?

http://tinyfarmblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/win07_first_salad.jpg

j/k

Damien
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Collin Samuel approved lunch...

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02/GiantBurgerAP_450x300.jpg

TFC OZZ
10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I remember the fact that Carlos Ruiz had been brought back too early was a specific point mentioned by Carver. SO I'm assuming the fact that players health is the primary concern is a pretty big benefit, whereas at other clubs they may injure their players with their training and misdiagnosing.

Technorgasm
10-07-2008, 12:35 PM

- the training, fitness and first aid from huge company assets like MLSE.

- miles of internet chatter from some group called "RPB"

- 'Poutine' and 'clamato'

JonO
10-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Harry Rosen suits......
I believe Zegna are the team sponsors...

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, it's Zegna. And I am jealous those bastards can actually fit in them.

I tried Zegna's supposed "Extra Large" once...it wouldn't fit a toothpick. Extra Large my ass!....No wait...that came out wrong.

giambac
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I remember a couple of weeks ago - I think it was after our lass to Kansas City - Carver mentioned in the post-game media scrum, something to the effect that if you asked any of the players that have come from other clubs what it was like being in Toronto, they would tell you about all of the treatment, and attention they get here, that they don't get at any other MLS teams.

I was just wondering - does anyone know specifically what he's talking about? What perks does Toronto have for it's players, that you don't get anywhere else in MLS?

Besides playing in front of a full house every week. :D

- Scott

When he talks about the perks and benefits of playing in Toronto what he means is....

That the team can play like shit and go 4 months with 1 or 2 wins and guys like you will still defend them and kiss the ground they walk on.

In any other city, in any other sport such losing wouldn't be acceptyable but in Toronto fans like you will support teams like the Leafs and TFC no matter waht, even if they paly bad. You always seem to find excuses to defend them.:eek:

Boris
10-07-2008, 01:15 PM
giambac...
when im having a crap day at work like today and i read one of your posts it really makes me laugh and makes my life seem so complete compared to your bitter existence...

that is all...carry on...

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 01:16 PM
When he talks about the perks and benefits of playing in Toronto what he means is....

That the team can play like shit and go 4 months with 1 or 2 wins and guys like you will still defend them and kiss the ground they walk on.

In any other city, in any other sport such losing wouldn't be acceptyable but in Toronto fans like you will support teams like the Leafs and TFC no matter waht, even if they paly bad. You always seem to find excuses to defend them.:eek:

ITS CALL SUPPORTING YOUR CLUB AND CITY! Something you obviously don't know anything about.

Roogsy
10-07-2008, 01:29 PM
If he isn't the very definition of glory-hunter, I don't know what is.

I have more respect for guys like Koryo who suffer with teams that not only get relegated but also go into administration, and while not happy, they still support their team.

This guy?...I don't want this guy in the trenches with me.

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
If he isn't the very definition of glory-hunter, I don't know what is.

I have more respect for guys like Koryo who suffer with teams that not only get relegated but also go into administration, and while not happy, they still support their team.

This guy?...I don't want this guy in the trenches with me.

Trenches hell no. Not even good enough to strap to the tanks for protection!!

Pachuco
10-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I believe TFC is the first to have the camera system that tells the coaches every detailed stat that happened in the game. This can be considered a perk to the players since they can learn from the stats and be more conscious about the ones they need to improve.

rocker
10-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I believe Zegna are the team sponsors...

ahh, I must be thinking of that ad Mojo was in last year with Harry Rosen.

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 01:55 PM

I'll let my record of things I've had to say about the club stand on it's own merit. Your willful obfuscations of factual reality, don't carry much weight anymore.

Your assessment of what a "realist" is never ceases to make me smile, though. Not supporting your team when they are playing poorly (and hence, losing), is the definition of a glory hunter. You could say it's a matter of not "playing with heart", but the truth is that you haven't the slightest clue how much heart is in that locker room on a weekly basis.

And for that matter, you even find reasons to bitch after games they win!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. It would make me said if Giambac's standard talking points derailed this thread.

- Scott

giambac
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
giambac...
when im having a crap day at work like today and i read one of your posts it really makes me laugh and makes my life seem so complete compared to your bitter existence...

that is all...carry on...

It's my pleasure to make your day:)

Boris
10-07-2008, 02:13 PM
It's my pleasure to make your day:)

anytime...

giambac
10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I'll let my record of things I've had to say about the club stand on it's own merit. Your willful obfuscations of factual reality, don't carry much weight anymore.

Your assessment of what a "realist" is never ceases to make me smile, though. Not supporting your team when they are playing poorly (and hence, losing), is the definition of a glory hunter. You could say it's a matter of not "playing with heart", but the truth is that you haven't the slightest clue how much heart is in that locker room on a weekly basis.

And for that matter, you even find reasons to bitch after games they win!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. It would make me said if Giambac's standard talking points derailed this thread.

- Scott

I wasn't bitching after their last game.
TFC played well and deserved to win.

I give credit when credit is due. On Saturday the team palyed well and deserved the win. Carver had a good game plan and also desereves credit. I will acknowlede this becasue they deserved it on Saturday.

However, I won't give credit or find excuses when they don't deserve it. In the months of June, July, August and September they didn't deserve it. Sorry to ruin your party.

Hopefully they can carry forward from saturday's game and finish ahead of San Jose which seems to be your definition of a successful season according to your other threads..:confused:

Boris
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
guys....

remember remember june 14.....

NateDoGG
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
any pro sportsmen in toronto is gonna get attention and "perks" no matter what
its a big sports city...

as far as perks go, im sure fine dining, goin out on the town, etc etc is all apart of it. not to mention how many sexy girls will be all over u just becuz ur a pro athlete, but im sure its like this in any big sports city... IE new york, chicago,

rocker
10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
a perk in Toronto is you never have to see Giambac at the games, cuz he never goes -- even though he pays the players' bills with his seasons tickets ;)

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Hopefully they can carry forward from saturday's game and finish ahead of San Jose which seems to be your definition of a successful season according to your other threads..:confused:

Again with the dishonesty. I make a thread stating we have more points than San Jose, and nothing else. You extrapolate that into me using that as my metric for a successful season.

For someone who calls himself a "realist", your grasp of reality is tenuous at best.

- Scott

giambac
10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
guys....

remember remember june 14.....

June 14?

What happene don June 14?

Did I miss something?;)

giambac
10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
a perk in Toronto is you never have to see Giambac at the games, cuz he never goes -- even though he pays the players' bills with his seasons tickets ;)

I actually do go to most games.
I stopeed going in the apst month becasue of their terrible play.

And you are corrct I do help pay for the players salary just as all the other paid St holders do. Given that when they don't earn their salary we have the right to let them know.;)

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Back on topic, please. I'm tired of rehashing the same shit about who is a supporter, and who isn't.

- Scott

tovan
10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm assuming that the perks are those TFC gets from being tied to MLSE. I imagine that TFC players share facilities and resources with both Leafs and Raptors which are big money leagues compared to MLS. A lot of perks are probably given off the field and training ground and in the form of outings, accomodations, events, travel, etc. Then there's also the crowd support, recognition from the public and celebrity status, living in TO instead of places like Columbus, etc etc. Maybe its simply the fact that TFC is managed like a proper professional outfit instead of some rinky dink club like some others in MLS appear to be.

Oldtimer
10-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I remember last year when one of the MLS clubs had their players go to the zoo to promote their club.

A perk here is not having to do that sort of thing. :)

bhoybobby
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I've heard some of the players mention our facilities here are the best in the league... whatever they mean by that.

Great washrooms:hump:

icecoldbeer
10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Collin Samuel approved lunch...

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02/GiantBurgerAP_450x300.jpg

hahaha Sammy jokes, way to bring back the memories!

jloome
10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Again with the dishonesty. I make a thread stating we have more points than San Jose, and nothing else. You extrapolate that into me using that as my metric for a successful season.

For someone who calls himself a "realist", your grasp of reality is tenuous at best.

- Scott

I'm told that one of the definitions of illogical behaviour is to keep doing something seeking a result when it has never worked in the past. Why you think pointing Giambac's fairly obvious stupidity out to him again and againg is going to make him grow a neuron or two is beyond me. The man wouldn't be capable of arguing with a reasonably literate 10-year-old, and the only time I -- and anyone else with the common sense to put him on their ignore list -- has to read him is when he bait someone into an argument.

Really, you're fighting nature and nurture here. He's as dumb as a plank. Suggesting to him that he sets up strawman arguments does little more than prompt him to run for a copy of the Wizard of Oz; suggest he consider alternating points of view and he'll probably call a mechanic.

TFC Cityboy
10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I actually do go to most games.
I stopeed going in the apst month becasue of their terrible play.

And you are corrct I do help pay for the players salary just as all the other paid St holders do. Given that when they don't earn their salary we have the right to let them know.;)

Bloody hell...glad I didn't do that with City back in 1979 ...I would have gone nearly 30 years without a home game :)
Leeds supporters feel free to back me up...

Glory hunter. Must be an Arsepoolchels united "fan"
:)

Shakes McQueen
10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm told that one of the definitions of illogical behaviour is to keep doing something seeking a result when it has never worked in the past. Why you think pointing Giambac's fairly obvious stupidity out to him again and againg is going to make him grow a neuron or two is beyond me. The man wouldn't be capable of arguing with a reasonably literate 10-year-old, and the only time I -- and anyone else with the common sense to put him on their ignore list -- has to read him is when he bait someone into an argument.

Really, you're fighting nature and nurture here. He's as dumb as a plank. Suggesting to him that he sets up strawman arguments does little more than prompt him to run for a copy of the Wizard of Oz; suggest he consider alternating points of view and he'll probably call a mechanic.

I think you're referring to Albert Einstein's theory on insanity - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results."

But, point taken nonetheless. He has been sent into the abyss of ignoreland. :D

- Scott

SEXYGREEKMALE
10-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Trust me they get minimal perks. I was talking with one of the players (will not mention his name) and he told me they get no accomodations, phones or any other personal things paid for. They are allowed 4 tickets free per match (home and away) and must pay for any extras. This player asked for 4 more tickets for the LA game for his family and front office told him that they cost $240. They aren't even given any extra team gear and must go buy any replacements. I don't know if these are MLS or MLSE rules.

Oldtimer
10-09-2008, 05:56 PM
MLS forbids paid accomodation and the like.

rocker
10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
all the players and their guests sit in my row. I had all the TFC girlfriends walk past before the last game. this is a perk of sitting in my row. :)

thing is, most of them never stay for the whole game.

jloome
10-09-2008, 07:58 PM
all the players and their guests sit in my row. I had all the TFC girlfriends walk past before the last game. this is a perk of sitting in my row. :)

Places to see, people to blow.

David_Oliveira
10-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Where do you sit?
:D