PDA

View Full Version : who will be starting the next game?

Pronto
10-06-2008, 12:03 AM
In one of they most important games of the yrs majority of our starters will be gone due to international duties. The main question is can we still come out with a win? What squad is Carver going to put on the field?

Cashcleaner
10-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Barrett, no doubt! Would like to see Ibrahim start once again as well. He came in late against New York, but look at the result! Wynne will probably start as well.

Those are the top three for me at least. I haven't seen who will be leaving us for international duties yet so I can't comment on the rest of the team.

trane
10-06-2008, 10:24 AM
As long as we have Barrett and Dichio upfront I will be happy.

Cambridge_Red
10-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Rosenlund get a chance again. He has been solid when given the opportunity. I think JoSmith deserves a chance also.

BuSaPuNk
10-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Dichio and Barrett up front for sure with Ibby playing more of a midfeild roll in the middle. Roselend and Jo Smith for sure both have played well when asked to. Still wonder what the back will look like though.

rocker
10-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Any update on Nana??? He was supposed to be ready by now.

I guess Brennan/Velez/Nana/Freeman at the back. (?)

I don't have any problem with Rosenlund in midfield... he played a fine game that time he scored recently. He's definitely not a liability.

I'm curious to see whether the team lets Ruiz go for WCQ or if they demand he stays behind to either 1) rehab his knee or 2) play for TFC now that he's healed.

Bluenose13
10-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I think Velez will be gone on International duty but Wynne didn't get a call to the USA team so he will be available.

rocker
10-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Puerto Rico was knocked out tho. So Velez shouldn't be going anywhere.. unless PR has a friendly somewhere. he can warm the bench then... ;)

i forgot Wynne hadn't been called up... much better!!!

I just answered my own question on Nana -- he played for the reserves yesterday (and scored a goal).. so he's ready to roll as well. Nice.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081006&content_id=193685&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Bluenose13
10-06-2008, 10:47 AM
I tried to get clarification on Velez but I can't read spanish.......I don't see any fixtures listed on there website so he may be available.

Pronto
10-07-2008, 12:36 AM
some of the players i think are going to be gone this weekend due to international duties:

Greg Sutton (Canada)
Jim Brennan (Canada)
Kevin Harmse (Canada)
Carl Robinson (Wales)
Amado Guevara (Hunduras)
Tyrone Marshall (Jamaica)
Carlos Ruiz (Guatemala) I don't think he will play because of his knee injury
Julius James (Trinidad & Tabago) i think he still has a bad hamstring
Marvell Wynne (USA)
Chand Barrett (USA) I can see Wynne and Barrett being called up

anyone have any info on the call ups for the next 2 games on the 11th and 15th of Oct.?

Brooker
10-07-2008, 01:57 AM
^^ sutton and brennan aren't getting called up. or maybe im wrong. not that either of them would play for more than 5 minutes anyway.

chad barrett getting called up for the U.S? that can't be...

and WHO IS CARLOS RUIZ?

jloome
10-07-2008, 02:11 AM
-------Monsalve (if Edwards is injured??)-------
Freeman--Attakora--Velez----Gala

---------Robinson---Rosenlund------------

---Ricketts---------------------Smith
-------------Barrett--Dichio-------------

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 02:35 AM
some of the players i think are going to be gone this weekend due to international duties:

Greg Sutton (Canada)
Jim Brennan (Canada)
Kevin Harmse (Canada)
Carl Robinson (Wales)
Amado Guevara (Hunduras)
Tyrone Marshall (Jamaica)
Carlos Ruiz (Guatemala) I don't think he will play because of his knee injury
Julius James (Trinidad & Tabago) i think he still has a bad hamstring
Marvell Wynne (USA)
Chand Barrett (USA) I can see Wynne and Barrett being called up

anyone have any info on the call ups for the next 2 games on the 11th and 15th of Oct.?

Brennan didn't get called up. Pretty sure Sutton didn't either. Same with Marvell Wynne.

Ruiz and James should both be staying behind, because of injuries.

I think there's about a 1% chance of Barrett getting a call-up. If Kenny Cooper can't even get a cap on the USMNT, there is no way they are going to take Barrett first.

Although our midfield is looking weak for this weekend, due to call-ups, it could have been far worse for us. Our backline and attacking core is mostly intact.

I also think Attakora will be playing, and he should fill in nicely for James. I suppose Velez will be in for Marshall. Here's hoping he plays his ass off, to try and get out of the doghouse.

The win vs. NY, I think, will have energized our team. Perhaps they now realize that they've got a chance, however slim, to make the playoffs.

- Scott

Super
10-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I remember when we figured we'd have to do without another 11 players or so again, but now it looks like we'll only say bye to about 4 or 5. Great! Coz we NEED 3 pts in Dallas!

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
The win vs. NY, I think, will have energized our team. Perhaps they now realize that they've got a chance, however slim, to make the playoffs.
- Scott

I think the same thing. That game against the Shite Bulls have energized the team as a hole. I think now that they played a good soild 90 minutes and came out of it with 3 goals and a win they will rally. Watch out for the big red machine!!

ACSertL
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
-------Monsalve (if Edwards is injured??)-------
Freeman--Attakora--Velez----Gala

---------Robinson---Rosenlund------------

---Ricketts---------------------Smith
-------------Barrett--Dichio-------------

Robbo got called up for Wales if I am not mistaken.

Sutton and Brennan are staying put (unless their omission was done on purpose).

Blizzard
10-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Any update on Nana??? He was supposed to be ready by now.

I guess Brennan/Velez/Nana/Freeman at the back. (?)

I don't have any problem with Rosenlund in midfield... he played a fine game that time he scored recently. He's definitely not a liability.

I'm curious to see whether the team lets Ruiz go for WCQ or if they demand he stays behind to either 1) rehab his knee or 2) play for TFC now that he's healed.

Nana scored in the reserve match last week.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
---------Edwards (or Monsalves)---------
Wynne------Brennan----Freeman-----Nana
Gala------Rosenlund---Ricketts----Jo/JaSmith
----------Dichio------Barrett--------------
Ibee as a sub for Barrett (or Dichio, but prob Barrett). Same goes for JaSmith with Jo as the sub.
Just guesses here as not sure if Nana is better. Although its not been uncommon for Ricketts to have been played Attacking mid in the past he might still be on the wing. Sorry, alot of ifs in this line up, not entirely confident with it.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
also i think Nana is too short to play CB (same goes for Brennan but hes played there before)

Broadview
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Canada's roster from the CSA website:

CANADA
1 Lars Hirschfeld | G | Edmonton, AB | ROM / CFR Cluj
2 Chris Pozniak | D/M | Aurora, ON | SCO / Dundee F.C.
3 Mike Klukowski | D | Oshawa, ON | BEL / Club Brugge KV
4 Kevin McKenna | D | Calgary, AB | GER / 1. FC Köln
5 André Hainault | D | Hudson, QC | CZE / FK SIAD Most
6 Julian de Guzman | M | Scarborough, ON | ESP / Deportivo La Coruna
7 Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Tottenham Hotspur
8 Kevin Harmse | D/M | Vancouver, BC | CAN / Toronto FC
9 Tomasz Radzinski | M/F | Toronto, ON | BEL / K. Lierse S.K.
10 Ali Gerba | F | Montréal, QC | ENG / Milton Keynes Dons FC
11 Richard Hastings | D | Vancouver, BC | SCO / Inverness CT
12 Dejan Jakovic | D | Etobicoke, ON | SRB / Red Star Belgrade
13 Atiba Hutchinson | M | Brampton, ON | DEN / F.C. København
14 Marcel de Jong | D/M | Newmarket, ON | NED / Roda JC
15 Patrice Bernier | M | Brossard, QC | DEN / FC Nordsjælland
16 Rob Friend | F | Kelowna, BC | GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach
17 Iain Hume | F | Brampton, ON | ENG / Barnsley FC
18 Joshua Wagenaar | G | Grimsby, ON | ENG / Yeovil Town FC
Dwayne De Rosario | M/F | Scarborough, ON | USA / Houston Dynamo
Adrian Serioux | D/M| Scarborough, ON | USA / FC Dallas

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3358

Serioux will be in Dallas due to cards in previous qualifing which double sucks for us. They have Harmse in there but Sutts and Jimmy are in the clear (Jimmy for good it seems)

Sooo...

F: Dichio, Barrett

M: Jo Smith, Rosenlund, Ricketts, Wynne

D: Gala, Brennan, Nana, Freeman

GK: Sutton

Subs: Ibbee, Velez and Jarrod Smith

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
While it still isn't our preferred starting XI, it's certainly a better group than we had against Chivas USA a few weeks back.

That's a good thing, considering how well a win would position us to make a push for the playoffs (coupled with other favourable outcomes, of course).

Luckily, both RBNY and DC United seem to be on the skids recently. So that should help. :D

- Scott

BuSaPuNk
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah and the Shite bulls have to play RSL in Utah, and DC plays Houston in Texas. Hopfully this week we will also get some results going our way!

Wooster_TFC
10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I bet Velez will be back starting at CB, and while everyone on here appears to rate Gala, Carver doesn't seem to, and there's no way he gets a sniff over Velez at the back. We'll probably see the following:

--------------------Sutton------------------
Freeman----Attakora------Velez------Brennan
Wynne-----Rosenlund-----Ricketts----Jo Smith
------------Barrett---------Dichio-----------

With Freeman and Wynne swapping back and forward as they have done over the last couple of games.

flatpicker
10-07-2008, 02:25 PM
It will be tough with the absences... but if they fight hard, they are still capable of getting points.

Broadview
10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I bet Velez will be back starting at CB, and while everyone on here appears to rate Gala, Carver doesn't seem to, and there's no way he gets a sniff over Velez at the back. We'll probably see the following:

With Freeman and Wynne swapping back and forward as they have done over the last couple of games.

You might be right about Carver not rating Gala, but putting Velez and Attakora in the middle will be like watching some horrible new soap opera called The Young and the Hapless. Jimmy in the middle directing things and Velez at full back if he's gotta be somewhere.

We've fielded worse teams and won (at Colorado), maybe we catch FCD napping and overconfident.

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
It will be tough with the absences... but if they fight hard, they are still capable of getting points.

To be honest, I'd even accept one point, if it's a hard fought point. As long as NY and DC both lose, that is.

A win would be nice, but I'm trying to keep my hopes realistic, considering we will still be missing a few of our "core" guys - including our two best midfielders.

- Scott

colman1860
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM

Looks the most likely to me. Has Cooper been called up for the states?

Broadview
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Looks the most likely to me. Has Cooper been called up for the states?

Not according to the US Soccer website.

http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_10190857.html

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 03:06 PM
F: Dichio, Barrett

M: Jo Smith, Rosenlund, Ricketts, Wynne

D: Gala, Brennan, Nana, Freeman

GK: Sutton

Subs: Ibbee, Velez and Jarrod Smith

Pretty reasonable proposal cept i believe Velez will be gone, hes the captain of Puerto Rico.

Totally forgot Sutton didnt get called up

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 03:06 PM
might be able to pull another Colorado with this game.
Fingers crossed.

jloome
10-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Unless there are friendlies on the same day, I believe puerto rico's out, so he should be around, eh?

With no true holder, I wonder if he plays something different, maybe a 5-3-2 if Marv wynne is still in town.

Broadview
10-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I imagine all soccer eyes in Puerto Rico will be watching the Islanders play Vancouver in the USL final.

I couldn't find anything about an international friendly.

rocker
10-07-2008, 03:46 PM
so what is the actual list of departures? i read somewhere 9, but I think that's the number of the previous international period.

we lose Robinson, Harmse, Ruiz(?), Guevara, James (?), Marshall...

that's not as much as during the period of the Colorado game I believe.
Marshall, Guevara and Robinson are the bigger losses really.. Ruiz really hasn't played enough to be missed much. i'm glad Dichio, Barrett, and Ibby are still here and ready to go.
And with Nana healthy, he's probably a better option than Velez would be.
Rosenlund had a fine game a few weeks back and probably could be a serviceable replacement for some of the missing midfielders.

trane
10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Unless there are friendlies on the same day, I believe puerto rico's out, so he should be around, eh?

With no true holder, I wonder if he plays something different, maybe a 5-3-2 if Marv wynne is still in town.

I would love to see that formation. Wynne and Attakora on the wings, and three CB accros the box, hopefully there is strengh in numbers as far as CB goes.

Carter
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Toronto FC announced Tuesday that five players have been called up for their respective National Team's as FIFA 2010 World Cup Qualifying resumes for a number of countries. All five will be unavailable for Toronto's next game Saturday, October 11 in Dallas. Midfielders Kevin Harmse, Carl Robinson, Amado Guevara; defender Tyrone Marshall; and forward Carlos Ruiz all joined their National Teams training camps after Toronto FC's 3-1 victory over the New York Red Bulls on Saturday night.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Bit pissed about Ruiz if he plays, not so much as i dont think he will be here next year

Carter
10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Bit pissed about Ruiz if he plays, not so much as i dont think he will be here next year

I agree, his knee is way too hurt to play... but i can play for my country...

Yohan
10-07-2008, 07:43 PM
-------------Sutton
Wynne---Velez---James---Brennan
Freeman-Roselund-Ricketts-Jo Smith
-------------Dichio
-------------Barrett

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I agree, his knee is way too hurt to play... but i can play for my country...

lets hope its its speculation, if dude goes and doesnt play (ie is on bench but not dressed) i wont be mad as he is captain so his presence wouldnt be out of order

Carter
10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
lets hope its its speculation, if dude goes and does play (ie is on bench but not dressed) i wont be mad as he is captain so his presence wouldnt be out of order

Agreed.

jloome
10-07-2008, 08:49 PM
True. If he plays we obviously have a personality problem, just when we needed it most.

Carter
10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
-------------Sutton
Wynne---Velez---James---Brennan
Freeman-Roselund-Ricketts-Jo Smith
-------------Dichio
-------------Barrett

I can't forsee James starting as hes still out with hamstring injury no?

Personally i would like to see...

----------------Sutton
Wynne---Attakora-Gyan----Gala-----Brennan
Jo Smith---Roselund--Melo--Ricketts
-------Dichio
---Barrett

Ossington Mental Youth
10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
True. If he plays we obviously have a personality problem, just when we needed it most.

i suspect if thats teh case he wont be around next year, i suspect he might not be anyways (if he is it certainly wont be at that salary)

Carter
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Who needs him, we won without him there last game... he wasn't even in the same town..

Axeman
10-08-2008, 01:45 AM
^^ sutton and brennan aren't getting called up. or maybe im wrong. not that either of them would play for more than 5 minutes anyway.

chad barrett getting called up for the U.S? that can't be...

and WHO IS CARLOS RUIZ?
Who is Carlos Ruiz?

Hahahahahaha!!!AHahahahahaha!!!
That's Awesome!
That's Fucking Funny!
I like Mo but has to be one of the worst signings! Heard Mo was upset with LA for not saying he was damaged goods.