PDA

View Full Version : Potentially tied for last playoff spot next week....

jloome
10-05-2008, 01:18 AM
I can't believe we'd be jammy enough to get all the results go our way three weeks in a row, but if KC loses tomorrow against Chicago and we get the same again next week -- we win, NY, DC, KC, Colorado all lose, -- we're tied for the last playoff spot.

Unbelievably, none of them are playing one another, so this is actually possible. At which point we should start wondering if something weird is going on.

greatwhitenorf
10-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Ha Ha Ha! Jloome. We're living in parallel universes. I'm sitting at home looking at the standings and schedules and trying to figure out what the odds are and whose got what sort of easy or hard schedule during the final three weeks.

And here you are doing the same. Coupla nerds, eh.

We're in with a shout. NY and DCU have pretty tough schedules. KC has to play NER home and away, but is also home for games with Chicago and San Jose.

But TFC have DAllas and SJ away and Chicago home.

It's not impossible.

greatwhitenorf
10-05-2008, 01:33 AM
And Columbus has clinched first. If we were to nick fourth place in the east, we would automatically get them as first-round opponents.

Another hostile takeover of Columbus by Canadian forces. They'll be up for that.

By the way, we lose any tie in standings to DCU, based on head-to-head record.

But, if I'm reading the tie-breaker formulas correctly, we win a tie with NY based on the fourth rule of the seven levels of tie-breaking solutions - most goals scored away.

With KC, it would probably go to the sixth rule, fair play standings. We're in third and would win any tie breaker with eastern rivals.

What a great way to kill 30 minutes of insomnia.

jloome
10-05-2008, 01:38 AM
No, it's the top three in each conference then the next two overall, so fourth wouldn't necessarily be enough. Either way, it'll still take a miracle.
Plus, we're missing nine players to internationals again.

greatwhitenorf
10-05-2008, 02:14 AM
So basically, we need to run the table to finish at 40 points and get help.

The western teams we're competing with are Colorado and Dallas.

Colorado is away to Chivas and LAG, home to RSL. Dallas is home to us - confidence shattering loss - away to RSL and LAG.

I'm about to become a part-time Chivas-RSL-LAG fan.

On paper, DCU look to have a really tough run out with games away to HOuston and Columbus and home to NER. Only the Crew are likely to rest any key players.

NY have away Thursday at RSL - altitude on a short week - home to Columbus, away to Chicago, on another short week.

Schedule maker is certainly giving TFC reasons to believe.

Ron Manager
10-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Now is the time to BELIEVE. It is a long shot, but they way the boys played last night showed us we can do our part and win the next 3. ALL are winnable games.
Remember...our last away win came when we put out the reserves due to international absences...we can do it again in Dallas.

BELIEVE.

TFC Cityboy
10-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I can't handle this!!!! Fuck it was easier when we were all but out of it :)

Azerban
10-05-2008, 10:46 AM
you don't fucking do this

you don't get my hopes up to crush them later

fuck you

fuck all of you

SLBuu
10-05-2008, 11:06 AM
^^^ HAHA

priceless!

stugautz
10-05-2008, 12:01 PM
I'll begin to believe when it's two wins in a row. Or if we run the table to end the season. Until then, it's just a blip on the radar.

rocker
10-05-2008, 12:24 PM
i've been onboard all year! makes it all the more enjoyable!! :) :) :)

need to just look to next week now... don't think about other teams.. just focus on TFC's next game, and showing Jeff Cunningham how it's done. that damn flake should watch Barrett's goal from last night -- that's how you finish your million chances one-on-one with the keeper, Cuntingham. That's how you put a ball into an open net, CUNTINGHAM!

TorCanSoc
10-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Looked at the Oct 11 Honduras - Canada tilt, and Dale Mitchel has not called up either Onstad, or Sutton. Mitchell's a complete wank. He's just flailing as a coach. He's screwed our U20 side, he's about to make us wait another 6 years before we see any possibility of WC action.

TorCanSoc
10-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Anyway. Not sure who's being called away for the Dallas tilt. Subs R.Smith, and A. Ibrahim connect to make the goals. Why not as starters? Confidence is high with them I'm sure.

ensco
10-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Our odds are up to 8.5% (from 2.3%) yesterday

Here's something interesting - we don't have to run the table, if we get some help - with 38 points (2 wins and a draw), we still have a 30% chance of getting in

Even a loss at Dallas won't put us out, we'll still have a 5% chance if we then win the last 2 games....which is twice as good as our odds were before last night

So we'll have something to hope for against Chicago in any scenario

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html

flatpicker
10-05-2008, 02:03 PM
with the international absences, we will really need the stars to align in our favour!

Torcida
10-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Our odds are up to 8.5% (from 2.3%) yesterday

Here's something interesting - we don't have to run the table, if we get some help - with 38 points (2 wins and a draw), we still have a 30% chance of getting in

Even a loss at Dallas won't put us out, we'll still have a 5% chance if we then win the last 2 games....which is twice as good as our odds were before last night

So we'll have something to hope for against Chicago in any scenario

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html
Cool website. Week 13 we had a 75.85% of making the playoffs and we blew it.

BuSaPuNk
10-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Hopefully we can get the results we need. Hey there was and is hope! I just hope we can get the results so then we can atleast see a meaningful game on the 18th.

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Brennan vs Cunny. Rough him up, Jimmy!:devil:

justin
10-06-2008, 07:39 AM
you don't fucking do this

you don't get my hopes up to crush them later

fuck you

fuck all of you

just do what i do. expect complete and utter failure, so that if the playoffs actually happen, then it's a wicked surprise, like finding a stripper in your birthday cake.

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2008, 07:44 AM
just do what i do. expect complete and utter failure, so that if the playoffs actually happen, then it's a wicked surprise, like finding a stripper in your birthday cake.

BEFORE you cut the first piece.

The team put on a great display and if they replicate that effort (the ones that aren't leaving and the bench who are getting another opportunity) they certainly have a chance. I hope for a win. I WANT another great effort.

And to see Cunny with hands on hips.

Axeman
10-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Brennan vs Cunny. Rough him up, Jimmy!:devil:
Fucking Right
Fuck him up Jimmy B :boxing: