PDA

View Full Version : We are ahead of San Jose again...

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Toronto FC - 31 pts
San Jose Earthquakes - 30pts
Los Angeles - 29pts

- Scott

Lucky Strike
10-04-2008, 08:45 PM
As we should be.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I bet Giambac's head exploded. Someone start calling all hospitals in the GTA.

- Scott

Roogsy
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
They do have a game in hand on us by the way.

Ageroo
10-04-2008, 08:47 PM
as much as I want San Jose to finish dead last...I would much more like LA in the cellar....what a colossal waste of money they are.....

Laurignano
10-04-2008, 08:47 PM
So...now all we can do is win our next 3 games and hope that every team infront of us losing or ties most of their remaining matches.

Nuvinho
10-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I want San Jose last, so we can get the 2nd overall pick.

Azerban
10-04-2008, 08:53 PM

- Scott

didn't you hear he's number one supporter now and he's currently face deep in mo's pubes

Marco2K
10-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Seattle has the number one.

Toronto could end up with 2 and 3rd.

But after last night im feeling crazy

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I want LA to finish last so the second DP rule comes into effect.:D

Shaughno
10-06-2008, 08:01 AM
as much as I want San Jose to finish dead last...I would much more like LA in the cellar....what a colossal waste of money they are.....

Yet if they had some form of a defense, they'd probably be top of the league. Two of the top 3 goal scorers are from LA.

Landycakes with 19 goals
Buddle with 13 goals

Problem is, they have 50 goals for... and 55 goals against. :lol:

giambac
10-06-2008, 10:02 AM

- Scott

I just got released this morning:)

Listen, I'm happy TFC won on saturday and even more happy that they are ahead of Seattle. Contary to what you or others think I want TFC to succeed. I am a STH and pay good $ so I want them to win. But having said that I'm not like you or the majority of others on this forum who givee the team praise even when they play terrible which they hav ebeen doing for most of the season..

They played good on Saturday and desereved the win and credit for their effort. To bad the same effort hasn't been there on most nights. To bad that it may be a little bit to late. There are several teams bidding for the last playoff spot.

Question - How many points are we out of a playoff spot?
Answer- Remember the KC game on June 14th when we left 2 points on the table by not using our regular players. I thought I told everyone to circle that day and game because it would and could be the deciding 2 points that determine if we do or don't make the playoffs.

Roogsy
10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
That's BS Giambac...you are setting up a strawman argument. There was good reason for why Carver did that and there was no guarantee we would have won, especially when you consider what has happened since that game. There were a half a dozen games since then that we should have won and had most of our starting lineup and we didn't, and several where we lost outright when we should have drawn or even won.

Boris
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Question - How many points are we out of a playoff spot?
Answer- Remember the KC game on June 14th when we left 2 points on the table by not using our regular players. I thought I told everyone to circle that day and game because it would and could be the deciding 2 points that determine if we do or don't make the playoffs.

.......want a hero biscuit?

justin
10-06-2008, 10:07 AM
please dont quote giambac, thats the only time i have to read his drivel

giambac
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
That's BS Giambac...you are setting up a strawman argument. There was good reason for why Carver did that and there was no guarantee we would have won, especially when you consider what has happened since that game. There were a half a dozen games since then that we should have won and had most of our starting lineup and we didn't, and several where we lost outright when we should have drawn or even won.

If we miss the playoffs because of 2 points, all the complaints and arguments I made on this forum were valid and accurate. I came on this forum on that day and said it "Watch out this game will come back to haunt us". My prediction and assessment may come to fruition. I hope I am wrong and TFC makes the playoffs but if they don't and miss out by 2 points you will know why.......;)

H Bomb
10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
My prediction and assessment may come to fruition. I hope I am wrong and TFC makes the playoffs but if they don't and miss out by 2 points you will know why.......;)

We will know why, a hugely disappointing summer schedule where we barely got any points. We always knew why, we just donīt like you :rolleyes:

Roogsy
10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
If we miss the playoffs because of 2 points, all the complaints and arguments I made on this forum were valid and accurate. I came on this forum on that day and said it "Watch out this game will come back to haunt us". My prediction and assessment may come to fruition. I hope I am wrong and TFC makes the playoffs but if they don't and miss out by 2 points you will know why.......;)

Again...are you GUARANTEEING they would have won that game?

The same can be said for all the games since then WITH the starting lineup.

justin
10-06-2008, 10:39 AM
oh come on guys, read my post, please!

giambac
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Again...are you GUARANTEEING they would have won that game?

The same can be said for all the games since then WITH the starting lineup.

Absolutely 100% guarantee we would have won the game. We were playing good ball at the time and the players were in sinc and then Carver went and changed our lineup because he had a point to make. From there on it was downhill. 4 months later and we just won our 2nd game last saturday.

Again, 100% guarantee we would have won the game.

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
And I 100% gaurantee everything else no one can prove. I like Carver.

Your welcome Justin...

Pachuco
10-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Giambac has a point. It's not only the fact we didn't win that game, it's the fact that the whole mood of the team changed since that game. The point he's trying to make is that that game was the turning point of the season, simple as that. We can sit here and say what if all we want, the only thing we know is that until that day we were playing decent soccer.

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Giambac has a point. It's not only the fact we didn't win that game, it's the fact that the whole mood of the team changed since that game. The point he's trying to make is that that game was the turning point of the season, simple as that. We can sit here and say what if all we want, the only thing we know is that until that day we were playing decent soccer.

Wow. How come you can say it without "I told you so's"' and sound like you enjoy it?

I don't mind the truth. It's all in the delivery here people. And btw we may have turned a corner just in time.

shwade
10-06-2008, 11:10 AM

That actually makes sense. Was it after that game that we started sucking really badly? It's not a coincidence. Even if we won one of the 'must win' games a couple of weeks ago we'd be in, or if Freeman/Sutton didn't mess up on the own goal..we'd be in.

BuSaPuNk
10-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I think it all started mentally against Houston. They knew they could have beaten them and I think it weighed on them mentally. Carver also gave them a push. Hopefully they can keep this play going on to Dallas.

Shakes McQueen
10-06-2008, 11:45 AM

By this logic, any game we dropped points in could have been the one that "came back to haunt us".

Even if we had just drawn two games we lost since then.

- Scott

bignickel
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Absolutely 100% guarantee we would have won the game. We were playing good ball at the time and the players were in sinc and then Carver went and changed our lineup because he had a point to make. From there on it was downhill. 4 months later and we just won our 2nd game last saturday.

Again, 100% guarantee we would have won the game.

actually, we would have lost 5-0. that's a fact!

giambac
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
By this logic, any game we dropped points in could have been the one that "came back to haunt us".

- Scott

You are correct that every game we lost will have an impact on our playoff cahnces.

What I'm saying is that prior to June 14th vs KC, TFC was playing good football. They were 2nd overall in the league. They were scoring on their opportunities and on the set pieces. They had chemistry on and off the field, they were smiling and seemed to enjoy what was happening. They were playing with passion. The whole city was talkin TFC

After that game, the chemistry was gone, the losing started, the whining and complaining by the players and the coach himself started. They no longer were scoring on their opportunities and in fact they were misssing a lot of easy scoring opportunities. There was finger pointing, there was insults in the media, and the happy environment was gone. The passion on the field was gone and you could see it in their play.

That game was the turning point and I truly believe if Carver didn't tinker with the roster which effected the teams play and chemistry, we would be in better shape today. We would have won that game and the winning would have continued and maybe they would have won other games since their confidence would still have been up.

Agree or disagrree with me, the RESULTS SINCE JUNE 14 SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. ;)

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm happy TFC won

Me too, great to agree with a post. Can't wait for another positive result next week!:D

jloome
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM

- Scott

Dude, he doesn't have the capacity, just let it go.

giambac
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Toronto FC - 31 pts
San Jose Earthquakes - 30pts
Los Angeles - 29pts

- Scott

Are we?
Are you sure?

Look at the records

TFC - 27 games played 31 points 1.148 pts a game
San Jose - 26 games played 30 points 1.153 points a game

San Jose has the better winning percentage.
Just thought I would correct your thread;)

ensco
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
SJ is ahead of us given the game in hand

put another way, SJ have a 15.0% chance of making the playoffs, we are at 9.0%

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/West/Earthquakes.html
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html

BuSaPuNk
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Are we?
Are you sure?

Look at the records

Too bad this isn't the NBA!! Wow there better then us by 0.005%!! Well why don't we just blow the team up then, everyone off the ship!! Come on, no one has had to deal with the inconsistency, international callups, and injurys that we have had to deal with. Soild lineup, less international callups, less injurys....better results!

Shakes McQueen
10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Are we?
Are you sure?

Look at the records

Who said anything about "winning percentage"? We are currently ahead of them in points. That is irrefutable.

If they draw the next game, we are tied. If they lose, we are ahead.

For an alleged season ticket holder, you sure like to crunch the numbers in finding a reason to be negative about "your team".

- Scott

Pachuco
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Who said anything about "winning percentage"? We are currently ahead of them in points. That is irrefutable.

For an alleged season ticket holder, you sure like to crunch the numbers in finding a reason to be negative about "your team".

- Scott

It's funny I find myself defending Giambac lately. But wasn't it you who opened a pretty dumb thread to state the fact that we are ahead of San Jose again when we actually are not? And does it really satifisfy you that we are 1 point ahead of San Jose when they have a game in hand?

At the end of the day, you are doing the same number crunching that Giambac is doing, except yours is wrong. We are ahead on points, but have less chance of making the playoffs, I think that says enough.

PS. If they draw their next game, we are not tied. With 3 games in the season, even goal difference matters at this point.

Bluenose13
10-06-2008, 09:48 PM

- Scott
Exactly......No matter how you look at it we have more points than they do, we are ahead of them.

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 12:11 AM
It's funny I find myself defending Giambac lately. But wasn't it you who opened a pretty dumb thread to state the fact that we are ahead of San Jose again when we actually are not? And does it really satifisfy you that we are 1 point ahead of San Jose when they have a game in hand?

At the end of the day, you are doing the same number crunching that Giambac is doing, except yours is wrong. We are ahead on points, but have less chance of making the playoffs, I think that says enough.

PS. If they draw their next game, we are not tied. With 3 games in the season, even goal difference matters at this point.

Firstly, I didn't crunch anything. The ESPN commentators showed the point standings at the end of the game, and I posted them here. I also didn't infer anything from it - I simply posted that fact.

Secondly, I also recall you as being the delightful guy who told me I "clearly didn't know anything about football", when I defended John Carver a couple of weeks back. I don't find you defending Giambac's point of view to be a bizarre circumstance at all.

My post wasn't "wrong". In the current points total, we are AHEAD of San Jose. Yeah, they have a game in hand - but how they are considered ahead for points they haven't even earned yet, is beyond my logic.

Nonsense like "points per match" only matters once the season is over. Same with goal differential.

But in terms of CURRENT POINTS, we are in front of them.

This was intended as a simple post to project some optimism for our hopes this season. It reflected that we were "back in the mix", so to speak.

Stop trying to find bullshit to fight about.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
10-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Oh, and one more thing - if we beat San Jose in our final game of the season, and have the same point total, technically we are "ahead" of them. Win-loss record between tied teams is the first method of tie-breaking.

As long as we are going to debate pointless minutiae here.

- Scott