PDA

View Full Version : Is moving Harmse a brilliant decision?

jloome
10-03-2008, 09:30 PM
In his pre-game scrum, Carver suggested putting Harmse in the backline nmakes him conciously rein in his aggression, while he still has midfielder skills and speed to contribute to the centre half position.

So could Harmse end out being a brilliant centre-half? He's good on the tackle and can drop off a pass or two.

Oldtimer
10-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes.
It was very clear that Harmse (who was more of a liability than an asset as a MF) played much better and helped the back line. He's not the first player who changed positions and played better.

jloome
10-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I wonder if the Nats call up was due to that one performance at the back? Wouldn't it be fucking hilarious if we found our best centre half in the form of Harmse, at the end of the season?

You can't write stories like that, the way things have gone lately.

Nerepis
10-03-2008, 09:44 PM
In his pre-game scrum, Carver suggested putting Harmse in the backline nmakes him conciously rein in his aggression, while he still has midfielder skills and speed to contribute to the centre half position.

So could Harmse end out being a brilliant centre-half? He's good on the tackle and can drop off a pass or two.

I think it's probably a very good idea, when he plays, I constantly wait for the red card. I think he'd be a little less likely to come in with the studs up in the penalty area. He's definitely got the skills.

Jack
10-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Interesting observation.

It could be an epiphany for him, or it could be just one game.

I guess only time will tell. We all know what a disaster he is in the middle, especially when it comes to handling the ball.

But if he can make it in the backline, it could work. I could see his "skill set" working better back there, if he can keep himself under control.

jloome
10-03-2008, 11:11 PM
We've had problematic distribution from the back all season. Marshall is spotty and Velez pretty much hoofs it. If nothing else, maybe we'll see more overall possession as a result.

Jack
10-03-2008, 11:16 PM
True enough.

Funny how the backline became the problem when early on it seemed like it would be solid.

LucaGol
10-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Harmse and Robinson the new back line?

JDG
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Harmse and Robinson the new back line?

Robinson is just fine in the middle Thank-You.

jloome
10-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Don't know what either is like in the air, but I suspect it's not Robbo's strength.

Keyman
10-04-2008, 12:15 AM
It's an interesting proposition, but there definitely needs to be more evidence in order to form a true opinion on the subject. Harmse is a very one-dimensional player - he is a strong tackler - but the rest of his game is lacking significantly, at least in the midfield. If he is forced to be a link between the backline and the rest of the midfield, then we are screwed. Another obvious flaw that is seen in the midfield, is that he cannot control attacking players, therefore, he resorts to taking yellow cards or making dirty tackles. If he were to play in the centre of defence, then his lack of pace would be less noticable, and he would definitely be more calculated and precise with his tackles, as he would rarely be in chase mode. However, I find his marking to be highly inconsistent, and I've yet to see how well he can deal with aerial threats. In order to use Harmse at the back, I think we would need to see how well he does in both of these areas.

So, in conclusion. Throw him back there, and see how he does.

jloome
10-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I know you're not a Harmse fan, 125. I actually think his play has gotten stronger as the season has progressed, he can pass and he can hold the ball up. I suspect you might be right about marking, though.

Keyman
10-04-2008, 12:28 AM
I know you're not a Harmse fan, 125. I actually think his play has gotten stronger as the season has progressed, he can pass and he can hold the ball up. I suspect you might be right about marking, though.
I definitely agree that he has improved his play significantly since the start of the season. In the first few games, I cringed everytime he touched the ball. However, he simply isn't good enough, in my opinion, to play anywhere in the midfield. Which is why I'm in favour of getting out of there as soon as possible:p

I still have my worries though, but really, what is there to lose in trying him out back there?

Axeman
10-04-2008, 02:55 AM
I think we should be giving Harmse more of a shot and at DC we couldn't do much worse. I do question whether he'd be good in the air but I love his aggresive, stick up for the team attitude, maybe strikers would keep one eye on him in our end.
A Canadian with heart and guts, we could do worse alot worse.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 03:19 AM
I think once the playoffs are out of the picture (if that ends up being the case), we should start trying some of the guys in different positions (within reason, of course).

I'd like to see them try Brennan in a pure defender role for a few matches. I'd like to see Johann AND Rohan play the wings at the same time for a match. I'd like to see Harmse on the backline. Maybe even try some of the guys at different locations, that we wouldn't normally think to try at a different spot on the pitch.

I'd also like to see Gabe Gala and Attakora get some more time, assuming both are healthy enough for it, and are match fit. I know that Attakora is currently injured, though.

- Scott

Beach_Red
10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd like to see Johann AND Rohan play the wings at the same time for a match.

Hold on there, buddy, you're almost making it sound like this team has a future, like the team is building with some youth. Next thing you'll be saying maybe Ibbe will turn into a goal scorer and these guys could play together for years, maybe even be at the top of this league. Is that kind of talk allowed on this board?

ua-kozak_TFC
10-04-2008, 09:09 AM
WOW some of you guys are JUST unbelievable like honestly.... you heard that they want to switch position for harmse and all of a sudden without even seeing him play in that position once you decide that he is going to be AMAZINg there and this is an AWESOME idea... like honestly be more realistic and try to judge after you see it. I bet those who say that thought that Welsh was an amazing player just because he played in sunderland...

Broadview
10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
^^Harmse played back there last week and played there a fair bit with the Galaxy. It's not like people are putting him at striker here.

Azerban
10-04-2008, 09:41 AM
WOW some of you guys are JUST unbelievable like honestly.... you heard that they want to switch position for harmse and all of a sudden without even seeing him play in that position once you decide that he is going to be AMAZINg there and this is an AWESOME idea... like honestly be more realistic and try to judge after you see it. I bet those who say that thought that Welsh was an amazing player just because he played in sunderland...

actually this entire thread is people saying "hey, he played there once, did pretty well, and he won't be allowed to axe-kick people if he spends more time in the box, let's see it again"

but ok

Beach_Red
10-04-2008, 09:42 AM
WOW some of you guys are JUST unbelievable like honestly.... you heard that they want to switch position for harmse and all of a sudden without even seeing him play in that position once you decide that he is going to be AMAZINg there and this is an AWESOME idea... like honestly be more realistic and try to judge after you see it. ...

Harmse played there last game against Houston. He did well.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Sorry about that, I didn;t notice that he did actually. Anyway i take it back.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-04-2008, 10:43 AM
It could very well be, i think a second game is necessary, either way im excited to see what hes capable of. Itd be amazing to have a decent CB.

jloome
10-04-2008, 10:49 AM
It could very well be, i think a second game is necessary, either way im excited to see what hes capable of. Itd be amazing to have a decent CB.

Wow, that's disheartening. True. But disheartening.

Beach_Red
10-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Sorry about that, I didn;t notice that he did actually. Anyway i take it back.

Sometimes not getting noticed is the best thing a defender can do ;).

Anyone know what position he's playing today?

trane
10-04-2008, 11:31 AM
My only problem with Harmse as a Centre Back, that if he commists a founl it will more likely result in a penalty and a red card.

Are they going to play five at the back or just swaping him for another centreback?

Broadview
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Sometimes not getting noticed is the best thing a defender can do ;).

Anyone know what position he's playing today?

I read somewhere today (I looked but can't really find it again) that Carver said Harmse'd be back there again.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Wow, that's disheartening. True. But disheartening.

HAHAHA
gotta have something to hold on to in these dark days