PDA

View Full Version : York U has victories removed b/c of having Lombardo on the team

Nuvinho
10-03-2008, 04:23 PM
York U in violation of OUA rules, by fielding Lombardo.

However, since Lombardo was a member of the senior roster, he is subject to professional participation regulations, which prohibits him from participating in CIS competition within one year of his last professional game.

http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=251537&lid=sublink07&lpos=headlines_main

RedRum
10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Lombardo has the opposite of the Midas Touch, everything he touches turns to shite.

Moe911
10-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Lombardo has the opposite of the Midas Touch, everything he touches turns to shite.

LOL!!

Blizzard
10-03-2008, 05:09 PM
York U in violation of OUA rules, by fielding Lombardo.

http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=251537&lid=sublink07&lpos=headlines_main

It's sad as this isn't Lombardo's fault at all. I'm assuming that Paul James would have given the approval from within York's sports hierarchy to sign up Lombardo.

Whether it was Paul or not, somebody didn't know the rules and the kids suffer for it (including Andrea).

B

Red CB Toronto
10-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I really do not get this decsion as Serge played for UBC after the 2007 MLS season. He actually guided the school to a National Championship. I have also noticed that Nana is listed on both the TFC and York rosters so I am not sure that means.

I know the CIS is light years apart from the NCAA when it comes to players and pro sports. But I really wonder how UBC was able to win a National Title with Serge in net, there appears to be something fishy here.

Blizzard
10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I really do not get this decsion as Serge played for UBC after the 2007 MLS season. He actually guided the school to a National Championship. I have also noticed that Nana is listed on both the TFC and York rosters so I am not sure that means.

I know the CIS is light years apart from the NCAA when it comes to players and pro sports. But I really wonder how UBC was able to win a National Title with Serge in net, there appears to be something fishy here.

Good questions!

Nuvinho
10-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I think you can play if you were on the developmental roster, but Lombardo probably was on the TFC senior roster for a little bit, which caused the violation.

Blizzard
10-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I think you can play if you were on the developmental roster, but Lombardo probably was on the TFC senior roster for a little bit, which caused the violation.

He definitely was on the senior roster. He was actually moved up part way into the first season.

flatpicker
10-03-2008, 05:19 PM
silly!

Marco2K
10-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I still cant believe he played for TFC. He is terrible. I am suprised he even made the YORK U team

Cambridge_Red
10-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh well.

rocker
10-03-2008, 05:43 PM
that kid who was kicked off the academy (Pena) cuz of his crazy parents has 5 goals in 8 games... 10th in the CIS in scoring.

ensco
10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I hate the hypocrisy in these kinds of "rules" - university is allowed to charge admission to these games but the athletes must be "amateurs"

This has risen to absurd levels in the NCAA, where the dollars are enormous. It's an indentured servitude system. It should be illegal.

Sue the bastards, Andrea

deschamp86
10-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Ridiculous that a double standard is set. If Lombardo can't play, how can Serge and Nana?

Serge is still playing for UBC this year after starting a number of games for the Whitecaps

Nestease
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I remember there being a thread here about Lombardo playing for York. I believe he even scored 2 goals in one game.

Anyways, there was someone who called out this exact situation, that Lombardo shouldn't be allowed to play yet. Turns out he was right. Maybe the forum got the ball rolling on the situation.

rocker
10-03-2008, 06:59 PM
if i remember correctly, Serge was never on a senior contract, just a dev contract.
Nana is the same. So that's how they can do both. Lombardo was upgraded to senior.
the article says dev roster players can still play.

Red CB Toronto
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
But as far I know there are not different types of contracts in the USL so would that not be an issue for Serge.

rocker
10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
who knows... maybe serge wasn't getting paid to keep his eligibility.

by the way, he didn't play much at all for Vancouver and then was released recently.

deschamp86
10-03-2008, 08:52 PM
who knows... maybe serge wasn't getting paid to keep his eligibility.

by the way, he didn't play much at all for Vancouver and then was released recently.

He played 7 games in a 30 game schedule for Vancouver. You would think that would be enough to make him ineligible.

RPB_Brantford_08
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
It's sad as this isn't Lombardo's fault at all. I'm assuming that Paul James would have given the approval from within York's sports hierarchy to sign up Lombardo.

Whether it was Paul or not, somebody didn't know the rules and the kids suffer for it (including Andrea).

B

yes it is in a way, any pro athlete knows he canna jump back into collage/university sports, Paul James couldn't manage a grade school team without f**king it up somewhere...York has to accept the penalty
and get on with things.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 03:57 AM
I feel bad for Lombardo. The guy clearly just wants to play football somewhere - but he either can't get on the starting roster, or if he does, inadvertently becomes a liability.

- Scott

rocker
10-04-2008, 08:20 AM
He played 7 games in a 30 game schedule for Vancouver. You would think that would be enough to make him ineligible.

i don't think it matters how many games were played. my comment about him playing few games really wasn't a suggestion that games played matters in this equation.

it's possible they paid him so low it was in effect a development roster contract.
i can only assume that the CIS looks at pay level, because there's no real diff between a dev contract in MLS and a senior contract, except level of pay.

sulfur
10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
And the classification according to the MLS. One is considered a pro spot by FIFA/CSA rules, the other a semi-pro. Semi-pro (the Dev roster) means that you can still play CIS level. Although, it still DQs you from amateur play, such as the Ontario Cup.

Azerban
10-04-2008, 09:51 AM
He was supposed to come to Brock this weekend!!

FUCK

SHIT

MITTENS

WHAT THE GODDAMN HELL

i wanted to taunt him :(

Red CB Toronto
10-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I think he will land somewhere, maybe in a lower division in Europe such as Italy, I wonder due to heritage if he could player in a lower Italian division as domestic player.

How things have changed, last year he was seen as the future, a young up and coming Canadian.

rocker
10-05-2008, 12:36 PM
i think Lombardo could play in the USL. He's a good passer, has good vision, hard worker. he can't finish worth a shit in MLS, but could contribute down there.

LucaGol
10-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Could someone explain to me the usefulness of this ineligibility rule?

Im too lazy to think about it ... cause right now, it seems somewhat inane.

I suppose its meant for all types of professional sport ... but come on ... Andrea was making 20,000 a year ... surely they should amend the rule to allow players who don't make over a certain amount playing professionally to once again participate in university sports.

It just seems silly.

Canadian Blue
10-08-2008, 10:38 AM

I interpret it as an OUA rule not a CIS rule. If that is the case it may explain whty Serge was able to play for UBC

James17930
10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
My alma mater.

:(

oxygenatedbrain
10-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I interpret it as an OUA rule not a CIS rule. If that is the case it may explain whty Serge was able to play for UBC

No, it's CIS, and it's clear: DEV players are amateurs, and I'm sure Srdj kept his NSA amateur card pinned to his 'Caps jersey at all times...

The CIS Eligibility sections relevant to this are:

40.10.6.2.3.1.4 and 40.10.6.2.3.9.

jloome
10-08-2008, 02:37 PM
The most frustrating thing to me about Lombardo isn't his performances, it's the constant criticism that he "can't finish" when he was being groomed in Italy as a target man, not a striker, a point that even Mo made when he first joined. He didn't get much set up support here, either, as he was only playing to fill in for injuries, which more often than not included his potential strike partners (Dichio/Cunningham) and his supply line (O'Brien.)

Put in too early, in a bad role, with zero support. It's hardly surprising he went to crap.