PDA

View Full Version : TFC on 'Off the Record'???

Axeman
10-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Off the Record is filmed in TO is it not?
I've watched for years as Michael Lansberg has had a multitude of sports figure's on his show, even wrestlers for god sake!
No TFC?
Last year I still couldn't understand but the team was new and blah,blah,blah...but still Lansberg avoids TFC like the plague???
Are CFL guys(I like CFL too, when Ottawa was in) so threatened by MLS?

Roogsy
10-02-2008, 05:32 PM
TSN has a contract with CFL so it's in their interest to promote them. Nobody said TSN had any integrity.

gmacpheetfc
10-02-2008, 06:04 PM
TSN Hates TFC

TFCREDNWHITE
10-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Can we email the show??? lets tell'em to get some TFC personalities on their!! John Carver would be great!!!

Damien
10-02-2008, 06:16 PM
TSN doesnt like soccer, and Landsberg isn't intelligent... it's not a good match.

Axeman
10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Can we email the show??? lets tell'em to get some TFC personalities on their!! John Carver would be great!!!
Just did!
I'm sure they'll ignore it like the ignore TFC.
Fuck Lansberg!

Canary Canuck
10-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Landsberg's a soccer hater so it wouldn't be pretty.

The only soccer TSN will cover is anything their part owner ESPN produces so they can just hit the play button.

Roogsy
10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Landsberg is a loser.

Cambridge_Red
10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
What's TSN?? sounds like a poker channel or something..

Bars92
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
TSN only shows Champions league, I'm grateful for them having the likes of LFC and PSV etc, but yeah they clearly have a grudge against domestic soccer. Bastards.

Roogsy
10-02-2008, 07:09 PM
They show Champions League because of their partnership with ESPN, otherwise, I doubt they would do so. They'd rather bump CL games for friggin' curling.

yellowfellow
10-02-2008, 07:38 PM
They show Champions League because of their partnership with ESPN, otherwise, I doubt they would do so. They'd rather bump CL games for friggin' curling.

QFT. And CL games are in the afternoon. They don't have anything better to show during that game.

TFC Cityboy
10-02-2008, 07:49 PM
TSN shows poker and dogshows...some fookin' sports network

MFG1
10-02-2008, 08:41 PM
yeah eff landsberg, he wears too much make up and talks a lot of gobbledee goop.

jayeden
10-02-2008, 08:43 PM
the show is garbage...half the people he has on arent even sports celebs - like I want to hear what HHH or the rock have say abour steroid use in baseball

stretchthetruth
10-02-2008, 08:53 PM
one time i met landsberg, and called him "Gino" (as in gino reda) by accident... his face was priceless... hahaha

Blazer
10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
When TSN was in its infancy they targeted the largest market in Canada (Toronto) in order to grow their enterprise – made sense. Now that they have become the fat cat they no longer need to target Toronto the way they once did. Sportsnet is currently scratching that itch and does a better job for Torontonians but outside of this city and some of the surrounding towns, TFC is an unfamiliar and uninvited guest on TSN.

Shakes McQueen
10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
It has nothing to do with hating soccer. TSN is partially owned by ESPN, so they focus on whatever ESPN gives them - Champions League, Euro 2008, etc. They also outright own the TV rights for the CFL, so they spend a lot of time pumping it up.

If TSN ever got the TV rights to Toronto FC, you would see TFC players on the OTR "panel" every other day, most likely.

I actually look forward to the day that TFC attracts ratings high enough that TSN shells out money for them - they would do a lot to improve the production values. Look at what they have done for CFL coverage.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
10-03-2008, 01:27 AM
TSN has pretty much given up on all sports that aren't a part of its broadcast schedule. CFL, baseball, and hockey are the top three sports for them and everything else is a sescondary consideration. I don't think that's a particularly bad thing, as it just means the CBC, Score, and Sportsnet have more of a shot at soccer talk.

Personally, I think TSN is gonna stick with the CFL for the long term and Soccer will take it's place with the CBC. I'm a big fan of MLS on CBC so it works out well for me.

Shakes McQueen
10-03-2008, 02:10 AM
TSN has pretty much given up on all sports that aren't a part of its broadcast schedule. CFL, baseball, and hockey are the top three sports for them and everything else is a sescondary consideration. I don't think that's a particularly bad thing, as it just means the CBC, Score, and Sportsnet have more of a shot at soccer talk.

Personally, I think TSN is gonna stick with the CFL for the long term and Soccer will take it's place with the CBC. I'm a big fan of MLS on CBC so it works out well for me.

I like that CBC has Toronto FC games as well. I just wish they would do more to pump up the product, and get more folks interested.

Even if it's just some "CBC Your Official Home of Toronto FC" 10 second spots during prime time evenings.

Mandatory HD would also be nice.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
10-03-2008, 02:34 AM
I like that CBC has Toronto FC games as well. I just wish they would do more to pump up the product, and get more folks interested.

Even if it's just some "CBC Your Official Home of Toronto FC" 10 second spots during prime time evenings.

Mandatory HD would also be nice.

- Scott

Ya know what? I think we'll see a lot more of that from the CBC when TFC/MLS stamps out a new broadcast tender. I have a lot of confidence that CBC will pick MLS/USL as it's their summertime sport of choice now that CFL has moved over to TSN.

BuSaPuNk
10-03-2008, 06:58 AM

I completely agree. Screw TSN. It would be nice to see Carver or Mo on Off the Record, but really??? It's not like Carver will spill everything just cause he is talking to Gino. Carver says what he feels, hence why he is the man! :hump: They should have more one on one interviews with players and coaches on CBC like on there pregame.

Fort York Redcoat
10-03-2008, 07:13 AM
OTR would be painful with them trying to ask the hard questions and for us it would be rehashed issues that TSN doesn't care about anyway.

Oblio2
10-03-2008, 07:21 AM
OTR is terrible and Landsberg is an ego-driven moron

Oblio2
10-03-2008, 07:22 AM
...to add.
He probably whacks off to pictures of himself

Rochdale
10-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Why wouldn't they. The ratings for the curling goes through the roof. Come February if you dont have TSN2 you wont see any CL games on TSN because of the curling.

def fret
10-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I can't watch Landsberg cuz his tiny hands freak the hell out of me.

Blizzard
10-03-2008, 03:17 PM

He'd be better than great!

Axeman
10-03-2008, 03:54 PM
It has nothing to do with hating soccer. TSN is partially owned by ESPN, so they focus on whatever ESPN gives them - Champions League, Euro 2008, etc. They also outright own the TV rights for the CFL, so they spend a lot of time pumping it up.

If TSN ever got the TV rights to Toronto FC, you would see TFC players on the OTR "panel" every other day, most likely.

I actually look forward to the day that TFC attracts ratings high enough that TSN shells out money for them - they would do a lot to improve the production values. Look at what they have done for CFL coverage.

- Scott
It has everything to do with CFL vs MLS. Period.
Is Wrestling ESPN owned, is fucking squash ESPN owned cause I've seen those athletes on the show, c'mon, the only reason you don't see one single TFC player/coach on the show is Landsberg's (CFL)ego.

Shakes McQueen
10-03-2008, 05:54 PM
It has everything to do with CFL vs MLS. Period.
Is Wrestling ESPN owned, is fucking squash ESPN owned cause I've seen those athletes on the show, c'mon, the only reason you don't see one single TFC player/coach on the show is Landsberg's (CFL)ego.

TSN used to be the sole carrier of WWE wrestling in Canada, and thus, frequently had interviews and panelists that were from there.

Notice that as soon as they passed on those TV rights, all of a sudden the influx of professional wrestlers as guests stopped.

TSN pushes the stuff they broadcast.

- Scott

TorCanSoc
10-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Landsberg hit on my grandmother.

...just getting the ball rolling on rumours.

vergilg
10-03-2008, 06:25 PM
What's TSN?? sounds like a poker channel or something..

Not only that, but you can watch darts and paint dry on TSN too!
Ok, maybe i am wrong about one of those!

Oblio2
10-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Landsberg hit on my grandmother.

...just getting the ball rolling on rumours.

Thats hot.....

or not

Rampage
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
OTR used to be decent back in the day when they had these crazy random guests. Now they usually have a bunch of hockey pucks talking hockey and nothing much else....even in the summer.

The Score > Sportsnet and TSN.

Axeman
10-04-2008, 01:34 AM
TSN used to be the sole carrier of WWE wrestling in Canada, and thus, frequently had interviews and panelists that were from there.

Notice that as soon as they passed on those TV rights, all of a sudden the influx of professional wrestlers as guests stopped.

TSN pushes the stuff they broadcast.

- Scott
Come on! OK let's get stupid here.
What about fucking squash huh, I've seen fucking speed skaters on it, let's see your "well speed skating is actually ESPN invented" speech.
Marathon runners, Cyclists, Writers, Radio Hosts, let's here your answer for these too!
Not one fucking TFC player, not one!
C'mon let's be honest not stupid.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Come on! OK let's get stupid here.
What about fucking squash huh, I've seen fucking speed skaters on it, let's see your "well speed skating is actually ESPN invented" speech.
Marathon runners, Cyclists, Writers, Radio Hosts, let's here your answer for these too!
Not one fucking TFC player, not one!
C'mon let's be honest not stupid.

What are you talking about? There is no need get hostile with me.

TSN is basically the Canadian subsidiary of ESPN, which is why they broadcast a ton of ESPN programming. They've also had television rights of their own, such as the CFL, and WWE - which they push on TV shows such as OTR. Almost every OTR panel this year has had a CFL player on it. Do you think that is coincidence? How is this deduction "stupid"?

It's far more stupid to simply say "TSN doesn't like soccer". Landsberg had Dick Howard on for a few OTR panels during the Euro 2008 finals - which, shocklingly, TSN was also broadcasting. And one of those OTR episodes, were pretty much exclusively focused on football.

You bet your balls if TSN broadcast TFC games, that Mo and Carver would be guests all the time, regardless of Landsberg's personal feelings about soccer. In fact, so would Brennan, Ricketts, Barrett, and anyone else on our roster who spoke serviceable english.

TSN currently has nothing to gain from pumping up MLS - because that only helps CBC and RSN.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
10-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Yeah let's be honest here, a sports show like OTR isn't going to refuse to show soccer because the producers don't like it. Instead, they simply promote the sports that are a mainstay of their programming schedule.

No grand conspiracy or anything like that.

Axeman
10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Obviously TSN is going to push what it endorses and broadcasts, I get that.
And I believe your right, if TFC was on TSN then yes it would be on OTR.
But what about the Blue Jays? Paul Godfrey's a regular, hell the whole team is owned by Rogers, but that doesn't stop them from putting blue jay players and such on the show.
But neglecting TFC completely like it doesn't exist? Never mention it once? and OTR does put people on it's show that isn't TSN/ESPN endorsed.
I understand not focusing on TFC, but to talk about every sport related issue under the sun and never mention MLS once, ever, I don't.
By the way didn't mean to get hostile, were all supporters bud.

Dirk Diggler
10-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't get why people need to whine and moan about everything. I mean fuck OTR ... who the hell cares about that show anyways? In addition, its their choice as to who they want on the show ... they aren't obligated to fulfill everyone's wishes. If people are so offended by the fact that they don't have TFC players on the show, just stop watching it. I don't understand why we need to fire up angry emails to every member of the media.

bignickel
10-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Off the Record is filmed in TO is it not?
I've watched for years as Michael Lansberg has had a multitude of sports figure's on his show, even wrestlers for god sake!
No TFC?
Last year I still couldn't understand but the team was new and blah,blah,blah...but still Lansberg avoids TFC like the plague???
Are CFL guys(I like CFL too, when Ottawa was in) so threatened by MLS?

i sat beside lansberg at a leafs game. total dork(tiny guy too). i told him i was going to the columbus game when tfc came on topic and he went out of his way to notify me he wasn't going. i thanked him

wzhxvy
10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Well I think Michael Landsberg is hot and I want to be like him...so there I said it !

NateDoGG
10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
id like to see wynne and dichio on there

and michael landsberg is a dog, he wears more makeup then my mom.

Roogsy
10-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I want to have the balls he has in wearing some of those skin-tight sweaters.

greatwhitenorf
10-04-2008, 05:02 PM
So Dirk, you don't get it?

We like to whine and moan. We live in Toronto. We've got lots to work with. We're good at it.

If our ranting and raving and thrashing about gets TFC more attention, that's great. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Not sure if MIchael Ladsburg has a genetic predisposition to hate soccer, but I've bumped into him at industry social functions and heard him take the cheap laughs approach to appraising the game.

Other TSN knobs who hate soccer includes violent chain smoker Derwin Dutchyshynynyn, Corey Mworon, Gord 'Howdie Doodie' Miller, Perry Maguire, Crush Schultz and Uhh-Rod Smith.

Jay Onrait is just impudent enough to like the game to lightly mock it.

Over at Sportsnet, you'll find that in-bred prairie dog, Peter "Fat Greek Boy" Loubardias is another talking head who hates soccer. Really hates soccer. By the way, I didn't make up that nickname for him. He made it up for himself and has uttered publicly into a microphone in front of a room full of people.

And, sadly, John Derringer at Kew107 doesn't get soccer either. Despite living with Brian Budd for many years. Impenetrable substance, I guess.

Roogsy
10-04-2008, 05:09 PM
It's the Canadian mentality.

It reminds me of the dynamic between Canadians and Americans. As Canadians, we are obsessed with Americans. We love them and hate them. But they barely know we exist.

The same with soccer. In Canada, many hockey-lovers hate soccer, to a point where they constantly put it down whenever the topic comes up.

But elsewhere, there are large parts in this world that don't even know what hockey is. And yet somehow Canadians have convinced themselves of the superiority of hockey over all else.

Pretty sad in my opinion.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Obviously TSN is going to push what it endorses and broadcasts, I get that.
And I believe your right, if TFC was on TSN then yes it would be on OTR.
But what about the Blue Jays? Paul Godfrey's a regular, hell the whole team is owned by Rogers, but that doesn't stop them from putting blue jay players and such on the show.
But neglecting TFC completely like it doesn't exist? Never mention it once? and OTR does put people on it's show that isn't TSN/ESPN endorsed.
I understand not focusing on TFC, but to talk about every sport related issue under the sun and never mention MLS once, ever, I don't.
By the way didn't mean to get hostile, were all supporters bud.

What about the Blue Jays?

It doesn't matter who owns the team. TSN has broadcasting rights for Blue Jays games.

- Scott

Axeman
10-04-2008, 09:50 PM
What about the Blue Jays?

It doesn't matter who owns the team. TSN has broadcasting rights for Blue Jays games.

- Scott
Isn't it promoting RSN by your logic, oh I see they show a few games so yeah your right. lol.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Isn't it promoting RSN by your logic, oh I see they show a few games so yeah your right. lol.

They don't care about making Ted Rogers a few bucks. They care about getting people to watch the programming they show.

- Scott

Axeman
10-04-2008, 10:12 PM
They don't care about making Ted Rogers a few bucks. They care about getting people to watch the programming they show.

- Scott
Can you atleast admit that OTR has people on the show that aren't shown or pushed by the network?
And if so does it make sense not to show ONE TFC player or atleast broach the subject?

Roogsy
10-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Nothing is absolute Axeman...nobody is saying they have 100% hockey guests, but TSN shows a high degree of bias in favour of what they promote and don't go out of their way to showcase a wide variety of anything else. Only when there is an outstanding story in another sport, like a drug revelation in cycling, or a paralysis in football, do they even broach the subject. Otherwise, it goes back to discussing talcum powder for jock straps for hockey players.

So they occasionally have a semi-famous music celebrity or a radio DJ. 90% of their guests are still in some way connected to hockey and the topics of conversation revolve around that topic. In fact...even when they have somebody NOT connected to hockey, usually 1 or 2 other panelists are and the topic always comes back to it, even in the blazing heat of summer.

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Can you atleast admit that OTR has people on the show that aren't shown or pushed by the network?
And if so does it make sense not to show ONE TFC player or atleast broach the subject?

Do they have the odd person on? Sure. But YOU need to recognize that Toronto FC and MLS are not a big deal to most people.

The usual variety guests they have on, are hockey or american football retirees, or analysts and announcers.

You aren't really refuting anything I'm saying - you're just insisting that what I'm saying can't be true, because - it just CAN'T! :D

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
10-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Nothing is absolute Axeman...nobody is saying they have 100% hockey guests, but TSN shows a high degree of bias in favour of what they promote and don't go out of their way to showcase a wide variety of anything else. Only when there is an outstanding story in another sport, like a drug revelation in cycling, or a paralysis in football, do they even broach the subject. Otherwise, it goes back to discussing talcum powder for jock straps for hockey players.

So they occasionally have a semi-famous music celebrity or a radio DJ. 90% of their guests are still in some way connected to hockey and the topics of conversation revolve around that topic. In fact...even when they have somebody NOT connected to hockey, usually 1 or 2 other panelists are and the topic always comes back to it, even in the blazing heat of summer.

Exactly. If a TFC player were to get shot at BMO field next week, they might talk about it on OTR. Same for if they win the MLS cup, or beat a team 67-0.

Outside of that, not a chance.

MLS isn't on the average sports fan's radar, and TSN have no desire to push leagues they don't broadcast.

- Scott

Axeman
10-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Look you wanna say I'm wrong, fine!
I'm wrong ok.
But guess what not mentioning TFC once not even a fucking comment, nothing. That tells me something but if it's just me then fine, I realise I'm not gonna convince you of anything.
Oh and you haven't explained squash yet!:D I'm kidding calm down! I'm kidding!

Roogsy
10-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I tell you when Lansberg MAY talk about TFC. If this whole "hooligan" issue continues to get blown out of proportion and then somebody does something stupid at BMO Field. Then we will get a negative segment on whether this is really something we want in Canada.

Like Hockey hasn't seen worse. But it won't matter. OTR will only ever say something positive about TFC unless there is a scandalous headline. I don't watch OTR much anymore...but I do wonder if he said anything when Beckham was in town. He probably would have ejaculated to have him on the show.

Dirk Diggler
10-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Do they have the odd person on? Sure. But YOU need to recognize that Toronto FC and MLS are not a big deal to most people.

The usual variety guests they have on, are hockey or american football retirees, or analysts and announcers.

You aren't really refuting anything I'm saying - you're just insisting that what I'm saying can't be true, because - it just CAN'T! :D

- Scott

Exactly. Plus I'm glad by the fact that OTR doesn't cover soccer and soccer personalities ... I hate watching soccer players being interviewed by people who are absolutely clueless about the sport.

Rampage
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
So Dirk, you don't get it?

We like to whine and moan. We live in Toronto. We've got lots to work with. We're good at it.

If our ranting and raving and thrashing about gets TFC more attention, that's great. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Not sure if MIchael Ladsburg has a genetic predisposition to hate soccer, but I've bumped into him at industry social functions and heard him take the cheap laughs approach to appraising the game.

Other TSN knobs who hate soccer includes violent chain smoker Derwin Dutchyshynynyn, Corey Mworon, Gord 'Howdie Doodie' Miller, Perry Maguire, Crush Schultz and Uhh-Rod Smith.

Jay Onrait is just impudent enough to like the game to lightly mock it.

Over at Sportsnet, you'll find that in-bred prairie dog, Peter "Fat Greek Boy" Loubardias is another talking head who hates soccer. Really hates soccer. By the way, I didn't make up that nickname for him. He made it up for himself and has uttered publicly into a microphone in front of a room full of people.

And, sadly, John Derringer at Kew107 doesn't get soccer either. Despite living with Brian Budd for many years. Impenetrable substance, I guess.

Just curious. Is there anyone in the industry, besides the obvious, who likes the sport?

H Bomb
10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Stephen Brunt?? or is he obvious

NF-FC
10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
slightly off topic, but has anyone ever noticed that Landsberg's ears wiggle when he talks?

Rampage
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Stephen Brunt?? or is he obvious

good call. I meant obvious as in Dobson, Rauter, Sharman etc. I guess Seixeiro is obvious too.

Mango Kid
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
OTR sucks ass. I'll take them getting love on Drive This and Hardcore Sports Radio over a shit show like OTR with lame-ass Mike Landsberg and his undersized sweaters.

Rampage
10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
OTR sucks ass. I'll take them getting love on Drive This and Hardcore Sports Radio over a shit show like OTR with lame-ass Mike Landsberg and his undersized sweaters.

Hardcore Sports Radio > everything else.

Billy the kid
10-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Landsberg is a loser.

I see a new sign coming.;)

Antoshka
10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
TFC was on OFF THE RECORD last season... sorry for repeating it if anyone else said it in this thread

Antoshka
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
haha ooooh the silence following my comment hahaha....

nobodybeatsthewiz
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
^ *tumbleweeds rolling* ??? :)

AL-MO
10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Jay Onrait hosted OTR apparently the last couple days and will be hosting again tonight. Wonder if that changes anything.

Sonny Cheeba
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
who ever said they're freaked out by Lansberg's hands.... i absolutely feel the same.

who remembers when TSN hosted Soccer Saturday?

Wagner
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
no national appeal.
a lot of people outside of ontario say that TSN stands for Toronto Sports Network.

Mango Kid
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
^ Having traveled to every province in the country, I've heard that repeatedly.

Axeman
10-09-2008, 02:59 AM
TFC was on OFF THE RECORD last season... sorry for repeating it if anyone else said it in this thread
When were they on OTR? Who was it?
I'm not saying your wrong, I'm sure your right but that doesn't change the fact that they avoid it at all costs. I watch OTR quite often(I hate Landsberg but I'm a sports junkie) and never once have I heard them talk about TFC, not once!