PDA

View Full Version : If grass is an issue why does TFC not practice on it?

Red CB Toronto
10-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I was wondering if grass has really become an issue for TFC when it comes to attracting players why are the Reds not practicing on it. They could practice on a grass field all week and play their games at BMO Field, how hard could it be for them to find an area grass field to use during the week.

Grass is far more forgiving on the body than field turf and players like Ronnie O'Brien have expressed this, which is why he wanted to leave TFC, so I am sure if they practiced on it during the week it would remove some of the issues for players.

They could approach one of the private schools in the city like a UCC which have top flight sport facilities, just a though that crossed my mind.

jloome
10-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Mo has already said they'll likely spend part of the Mo Edu windfall on a grass practice facility.

netsan
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
We had a long thread a couple of weeks back about exactly this...."TFC Needs a Grass Practice Facility".... We all think it is a good idea.

jrobs11
10-02-2008, 01:45 PM
UCC also just put in an artificial turf field on their main "Oval" field. However, they do say that their particular type of "synthetic surface will be easier on the players’ joints and is designed to reduce sports-related injuries." http://www.frankejames.com/debate/?p=15

I guess there are always the variety of other grass fields they have to practice on too though.

joel
10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
If you practice all week on grass and play your home games on turf..I think you would constantly have issues adjusting

nascarguy
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
they need to practice on both . I just hope in the post season that mo & Jc get our boys some good team to play so the player keep match fit

Red CB Toronto
10-02-2008, 02:52 PM
An example of a team practicing on a grass field during the week and playing their games on Turf is the Argonauts, I know they are having a down and out season but they have been doing this for years and making adjustments have never really been an issue. Just a thought.

Also while the main field at UCC is turf they have huge areas of open grass, I just think a grass practice facity is important

togetherness
10-02-2008, 02:56 PM
An example of a team practicing on a grass field during the week and playing their games on Turf is the Argonauts, I know they are having a down and out season but they have been doing this for years and making adjustments have never really been an issue. Just a thought.

Also while the main field at UCC is turf they have huge areas of open grass, I just think a grass practice facity is important

I agreeeeeee !!!!

joel
10-02-2008, 02:56 PM

I don't buy that, you're talking about 2 totally different sports, my comment was due to the way the soccer ball rolls and bounces on the 2 surfaces. In football, the intent is for the ball to never touch the grass/turf, so I really don't equate them at all. Which is another reason why no one cares if american football is played on turf.

It makes more sense to practice on grass because it's just going to be more forgiving on the players, but in terms of gameplay I don't see that much of a difference.

Axeman
10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
The fact that many quality players don't want to play or won't sign with us because of the turf means we must have grass Now! Or else we are making things even harder for us. Invest in grass NOW.

Shakes McQueen
10-03-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't buy that, you're talking about 2 totally different sports, my comment was due to the way the soccer ball rolls and bounces on the 2 surfaces. In football, the intent is for the ball to never touch the grass/turf, so I really don't equate them at all. Which is another reason why no one cares if american football is played on turf.

Exactly. It's not running around that soccer players have to "adjust" to - it's the movement of the ball. Grass doesn't have the same quickness and bounce that turf does.

- Scott

Draracle
10-03-2008, 04:58 AM
they have practiced on grass, just not all the time. Probably because all their equipment and tools are at BMO.

BuSaPuNk
10-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Exactly. It's not running around that soccer players have to "adjust" to - it's the movement of the ball. Grass doesn't have the same quickness and bounce that turf does.

- Scott

That is probably why there passing seems to be so much worse away from BMO. Robo seems to never complete a pass on the road. If it was possible to put a grass practice facility near BMO that would work great. If not why don't they use Lamport? It really needs some work, I'm sure MLSE could open there pockets some what? :noidea: