PDA

View Full Version : Richard Hastings?

Axeman
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Let's get Richard Hastings!
A solid Canadian Left Center-Back playing in the scottish premier league. I know he's not the grand solution for the team, but a solid Canadian Center-Back with experience would be a welcome addition in my opinion. I wouldn't spend DP money on him but but definetly try to sign him.

Brennan----Hastings----DP?----Wynne

Depending on the DP looks like a solid back line.

TorCanSoc
09-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Scored the O.T. winner versus Mexico in our 2001 Gold Cup win. Great game. Not heard much about him lately.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Playing in Scotland, dont think his contract is up yet

Axeman
09-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Scored the O.T. winner versus Mexico in our 2001 Gold Cup win. Great game. Not heard much about him lately.
That was a truly Great moment for Canada!:canada:

Keyman
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Hastings would be a solid player at the back for TFC in my opinion, he's never a dominating defender for Canada, however, he gets the job done. He was pretty damn good in '07 at the Gold Cup.

Getting him here, is another story. He doesn't really have much of a connection to Canada anymore from what I can remember, so unless I'm wrong it wouldn't be like "bringing a player home" like we talk about with so many other players. That's a major problem, is it not? Also, he's been in Scotland for quite a long time now, I wouldn't be surprised if he is living a very comfortable life, which he does not want to part from.

reggie
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
maybe he will be our new DP....he is crap no thanks....

ben_vw
10-01-2008, 06:19 AM
maybe he will be our new DP....he is crap no thanks....

Here's (http://tfcconnected.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-canadian-wish-list.html) some other Canadian's we should be looking at...

ccopela
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Here's (http://tfcconnected.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-canadian-wish-list.html) some other Canadian's we should be looking at...

4 of the top 5 in that list are somewhat realistic, not Lars, he's in a bad situation right now but he would still be able to play for other European teams.

There's no way Andre Hainault would come back to play for TFC right now he's just about to break through in Europe. He'll be playing in Germany within the next year in my opinion.

Tomasz Radzinski would be an amazing player to have playing for TFC but it's not going to happen because for 1 thing he's no longer playing in Greece he moved to a 2nd division belgian team because his wife/son is sick and he wanted to be closer to his family. He also has admitted he hates turf. So I don't think he's coming back to Canada any time soon.

Occean has been lighting it up in Norway so it wouldn't surprise me if other European teams have been keeping an eye on him.

Ali Gerba just signed with MK Dons and I'm pretty sure if Mo was interested in him/ if Ali was interested in TFC he would have been in on a trial with TFC during the summer when he was out of contract so there obviously isn't mutual interest between the 2 parties at the moment.

rocker
10-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Hastings would be a solid player at the back for TFC in my opinion, he's never a dominating defender for Canada, however, he gets the job done. He was pretty damn good in '07 at the Gold Cup.

Getting him here, is another story. He doesn't really have much of a connection to Canada anymore from what I can remember, so unless I'm wrong it wouldn't be like "bringing a player home" like we talk about with so many other players. That's a major problem, is it not? Also, he's been in Scotland for quite a long time now, I wouldn't be surprised if he is living a very comfortable life, which he does not want to part from.

ya hastings left canada when he was a young boy. and when he lived in Canada it was in British Columbia, not Ontario.
so he really has no connection here.

jloome
10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Wouldn't want Radz, as he's well past his prime and hasn't been a scoring threat since his days in Belgium. Short, middling speed midfielders with mediocre ability to dish the ball? No thanks.

Wouldn't want Serioux, as he's horribly overrated as a centre half, which shouldn't surprise anyone, since he played midfield until about three years ago. He's also dirty as fuck, and we could p, much guarantee losing him to reds for three or four games per season.

Hirschfeld may be locker room cancer, but a hugely underrated keeper. Would like him, as long as he smiled occasionally and said good job to his defence when they did right.

Hainault, we have no shot. Occean, we likely have no shot, because fans would go ape if he got DP money and without that, we can't afford him. Gerba hasn't even proven himself at levels below MLS yet, let alone here, and does not create his own goals; he's a poacher, but we already have several of them. We need guys who can create the opportunity, whether that's from striker position or mid.

Stalteri would be a good left back in this league but hasnt' played another position regularly for nearly a decade, and no MLS team is dumb enough to blow their DP on a guy who will minimally impact them over all, which is the case with most fullbacks.

Hastings MIGHT be able to compete at MLS level but is getting on; most I've seen on him in last couple of years suggests he's gotten more solid as he's gotten older. Still loves Canada and considers himself Canadian, so I don't think a move would definitely be ruled out by him.

The only Canadians I would remotely care to see on TFC (but likely never will) are Atiba Hutchinson, Occean and JDG/ The rest are middle-grade professional flotsam, not necessarily worse than what we've got now, but not much better (except maybe Imhof as a DM).

What's Josh Simpson up to these days? I remember the raves he got when he first got to Millwall, but that obviously fizzed. Is he still in the Bundesliga?

ccopela
10-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't want Radz, as he's well past his prime and hasn't been a scoring threat since his days in Belgium. Short, middling speed midfielders with mediocre ability to dish the ball? No thanks.

Wouldn't want Serioux, as he's horribly overrated as a centre half, which shouldn't surprise anyone, since he played midfield until about three years ago. He's also dirty as fuck, and we could p, much guarantee losing him to reds for three or four games per season.

Hirschfeld may be locker room cancer, but a hugely underrated keeper. Would like him, as long as he smiled occasionally and said good job to his defence when they did right.

Hainault, we have no shot. Occean, we likely have no shot, because fans would go ape if he got DP money and without that, we can't afford him. Gerba hasn't even proven himself at levels below MLS yet, let alone here, and does not create his own goals; he's a poacher, but we already have several of them. We need guys who can create the opportunity, whether that's from striker position or mid.

Stalteri would be a good left back in this league but hasnt' played another position regularly for nearly a decade, and no MLS team is dumb enough to blow their DP on a guy who will minimally impact them over all, which is the case with most fullbacks.

Hastings MIGHT be able to compete at MLS level but is getting on; most I've seen on him in last couple of years suggests he's gotten more solid as he's gotten older. Still loves Canada and considers himself Canadian, so I don't think a move would definitely be ruled out by him.

The only Canadians I would remotely care to see on TFC (but likely never will) are Atiba Hutchinson, Occean and JDG/ The rest are middle-grade professional flotsam, not necessarily worse than what we've got now, but not much better (except maybe Imhof as a DM).

What's Josh Simpson up to these days? I remember the raves he got when he first got to Millwall, but that obviously fizzed. Is he still in the Bundesliga?

-Radz scored at least 10 goals last year in Greece

-Serioux is a solid defender in this league and he's proven that with Dallas and Houston, obviously not a world class player but definitely good enough for TFC

- Josh Simpson has had several injury problems but he still plays with Kaiserslautern in Bundesliga 2. But I'm pretty sure he's currently injured.

- Realistically other than maybe Stalteri who's on the fringe at Tottenham we're not going to see a Canadian move back from a top league in Europe. England, Germany, Spain. We also likely won't pay a transfer fee which means we have to wait until a player is released from Europe or his contract runs out. So if Peters gets released we have a shot. Lars won't be released because Cluj payed over a million euros for him.

- Saying that there's only 4 Canadian players you'd like to see at TFC is a bit outrageous. I'd agree that there's probably only 3-4 players that I would like to see at TFC as DP but there are several dependable Canadians that could be very productive in this league.

Yohan
10-01-2008, 02:06 PM
In conclusion, the Canadians are either good, but too expensive for TFC to pay, or just aren't good enough.

Oh well.

jloome
10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
-Radz scored at least 10 goals last year in Greece

-Serioux is a solid defender in this league and he's proven that with Dallas and Houston, obviously not a world class player but definitely good enough for TFC

- Josh Simpson has had several injury problems but he still plays with Kaiserslautern in Bundesliga 2. But I'm pretty sure he's currently injured.

- Realistically other than maybe Stalteri who's on the fringe at Tottenham we're not going to see a Canadian move back from a top league in Europe. England, Germany, Spain. We also likely won't pay a transfer fee which means we have to wait until a player is released from Europe or his contract runs out. So if Peters gets released we have a shot. Lars won't be released because Cluj payed over a million euros for him.

- Saying that there's only 4 Canadian players you'd like to see at TFC is a bit outrageous. I'd agree that there's probably only 3-4 players that I would like to see at TFC as DP but there are several dependable Canadians that could be very productive in this league.

The greek league is not well regarded (and is where Laurent Robert is currently playing), so that doesn't really say much. Beyond which, same problem as Gerba: no jets. Without being able to create his own goals, he'll still need a provider and that's already our problem. When he was at Fulham, his scoring touch was not what it had been, and in his performances for the Nats he didn't look strong (although the last game isn't a fair reference, as he was taken out early for a cut hand.)

Serioux? So you say. But given that we've traded him away once already (at the beginning of the first season we briefly had him) he's unlikely to be jumping for joy at the prospect. Plus, he was fined for trying to deliberately injure Beckham after bragging that he was going to do so. And that's the guy who'll shore up our back line? No dirty players please. And even if he is "good enough for TFC", perhaps we should make someone of that ilk our second centre-half (since we really need two) not our backline leader. There's a hell of a lot better than Serioux out there.

Why is it "a bit outrageous"? Seems "a bit realistic" to me. Most of our players are either a) good enough to play in Europe, and too expensive or b) not good enough to play in MLS and toiling in USL. And before anyone argues USL parity, I'd remind them that 8 out of the 11 USL first-team all-stars this year are former MLS players who couldn't make the cut.

Why should my club be a feeder for a national team? I love Canada, but in the context of TFC, which is my club, I don't give a shit if we ever accomodate the Nats' needs. TFC isn't a feeder system to replace the dysfunctional bloody CSA, it's a football club. If we could field 11 brazilians, all better than what we've got now, I'd be saying "bring 'em on."

deschamp86
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's my list of Canadian players that I feel are and are not worth giving DP money. I'm sure many would disagree.

Canadian Players Worth Acquiring (DP)
F - Rob Friend
M - Daniel Imhof
M - Julian De Guzman
D - Kevin McKenna
D - David Edgar

Canadian Players Worth Acquiring (Non-DP)
F - Iain Hume
F - Olivier Occean
F - Tomasz Radzinski
M - Dwayne De Rosario
M - Tam Nsaliwa
M - Nik Ledgerwood
M - Patrice Bernier
M - Josh Simpson
M - Marcel De Jong
D - Richard Hastings
D - Andre Hainault
D - Mike Klukowski
D - Paul Stalteri
G - Pat Onstad

Canadian Players Possibly Worth Taking A Chance On (Cheap)
M - Alfredo Valente
M - Martin Nash
M - Steve Kindel

ccopela
10-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Canadian Players Possibly Worth Taking A Chance On (Cheap)
M - Alfredo Valente
M - Martin Nash
M - Steve Kindel

Your list is fairly accuarte in my opinion other than the players worth possibly taking a chance on. Personally I would rather see TFC take a chance on younger players who have a lot to prove. Players like

Keegan Ayre
Marcus Haber
Jonathon Beaulieu-Bourgaut
Jamie Peters

All these players are ones that have spent significant amounts of time playing for European academy teams/reserve teams but haven't really been able to catch on to a senior team. They've impressed when playing for Canada's youth teams and would be cheap ways to add depth to our bench. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't play for developmental player money so we're unlikely to see them.

rocker
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
how about stealing Sandro Grande from Montreal as a backup midfielder?
he's the one guy on Montreal that i think stands out as an individual talent. good passer. a bit small... but would be a solid backup at the very least.

deschamp86
10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Your list is fairly accuarte in my opinion other than the players worth possibly taking a chance on. Personally I would rather see TFC take a chance on younger players who have a lot to prove. Players like

Keegan Ayre
Marcus Haber
Jonathon Beaulieu-Bourgaut
Jamie Peters

All these players are ones that have spent significant amounts of time playing for European academy teams/reserve teams but haven't really been able to catch on to a senior team. They've impressed when playing for Canada's youth teams and would be cheap ways to add depth to our bench. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't play for developmental player money so we're unlikely to see them.

The reason I named the older USL players is because they probably wouldn't be getting much of a raise (or drop in pay) from what they are currently getting.

I'm all for getting younger guys in, as I was really happy to see that Nascimento was given a shot on the reserves (I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do full time).

Out of the younger guys that you mentioned though, the only one who would challenge for a place I think would be Peters.

Haber has been on numerous trials and has not been able to stick with any League One teams, Bourgault I believe is playing 4th Division in Germany, Ayre I'm not even sure where he is.

But anyways, the guys I was naming were all players who I believe could step in and warrant a starter's spot right away. All of these younger guys would mostly be depth.

Keegan
10-01-2008, 11:41 PM
In conclusion, the Canadians are either good, but too expensive for TFC to pay, or just aren't good enough.

Oh well.

Tell the Impact that.

Axeman
10-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Tell the Impact that.
Exactly.:canada:

J .
10-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Serioux would be fantastic addition to shore us up while giving our team a bit a nastyness.

Jaime Peters would be a nice choice. I would take him over crazy legs smith or RoRickets.

Axeman
10-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Serioux would be fantastic addition to shore us up while giving our team a bit a nastyness.

Jaime Peters would be a nice choice. I would take him over crazy legs smith or RoRickets.

I like Mo, but getting rid of Serioux that one bit us on the ass didn't it.
Peters has alot of speed and would be a very nice addition for us, Jo Smith does nothing for me.

ccopela
10-02-2008, 08:44 AM
I like Mo, but getting rid of Serioux that one bit us on the ass didn't it.
Peters has alot of speed and would be a very nice addition for us, Jo Smith does nothing for me.

To be fair Mo did acquire a much better player for Serioux (O'brien) Unfortunately he just didn't want to be here. Not Mo's fault and if we went back in time I'd hope he'd do it again.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
To be fair Mo did acquire a much better player for Serioux (O'brien) Unfortunately he just didn't want to be here. Not Mo's fault and if we went back in time I'd hope he'd do it again.

On top of hte fact that Serioux had a broken leg and wouldnt be able to play for 6 months

Axeman
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
^^Good Points lads!

invictusTFC
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
In the end Mo made a good trade, but it doesn't change the fact that Serioux is still better than anyone we currently have playing at CB. He would be a welcome addition in my eyes.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-02-2008, 03:38 PM
agreed

ccopela
10-02-2008, 07:28 PM
agreed

seconded

professor
10-02-2008, 08:04 PM
an additional point on Serioux, opposing players do not like playing against him

nfitz
04-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Wouldn't want Serioux, as he's horribly overrated as a centre half, which shouldn't surprise anyone, since he played midfield until about three years ago. He's also dirty as fuck, and we could p, much guarantee losing him to reds for three or four games per season.Found this by accident.

What does Mr. Loome think of Serioux now?

menefreghista
04-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Interesting thread considering two young Canadian CB's have recently joined the league while TFC fans biggest issue is our back line (well, and Barrett's Lombardo style finishing).