PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Sept.30

denime
09-30-2008, 06:03 AM
TFC's playoff hopes alive as final-spot rivals all lose

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Just 48 hours after declaring the chase for a Major League Soccer playoff spot all but hopeless this season, Toronto FC coach John Carver woke up yesterday to find a light at the end of the tunnel. And, no, it wasn't a train.
What happened was that after playing back-to-back league champion Houston Dynamo to a 1-1 draw at BMO Field on Saturday, TFC watched as the five teams they are fighting with for the final playoff spot all lost in weekend matches.
Kansas City Wizards, D.C. United, San Jose Earthquakes, Los Angeles Galaxy and New York Red Bulls all came out of the fray without a point.
And even though TFC has just four games left , a win in three of four would erase the five point that separates them from the lone spot left in the playoff picture.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/09/30/6926581-sun.html)

Reds remain alive in MLS playoff race
Toronto stands six points out of postseason with four games to play

TORONTO -- Marvell Wynne's strike in the 73rd minute against Houston last Saturday was unassisted, which means that the only help Toronto FC received on the weekend was from other MLS clubs. It looked as if TFC's bid to make the MLS Cup Playoffs had run short after the 1-1 draw with the Dynamo at BMO Field. After the match, TFC head coach John Carver talked about how his team was playing for pride, to entertain the fans and to earn contracts for next season, as he figured his side was all but eliminated.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080929&content_id=191803&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Ruiz, James fitness update
Duo making good improvement

Toronto FC coach John Carver hopes that Carlos Ruiz and Julius James will be fit enough to return to full training by the end of the week. Ruiz missed Saturday's clash against Houston Dynamo with a knee injury whilst James had a hamstring strain.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080929&content_id=191590&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :)

Oldtimer
09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Like with relegation battles in Europe, playoff battles in MLS have some interesting twists.

Let's face it though, TFC is out, but they can still avoid last place.

Technorgasm
09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Like with relegation battles in Europe, playoff battles in MLS have some interesting twists.

I dont think thi spost can be improved upon. . . pretty much sums it up for me!

:Lets see what happens. .

does any one have a "WERE NOT IN LAST PLACE" chant?

Angelo1405
09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I dont know about you...but i believe they can win 3/4. its Very possible...

S_D
09-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Yeah TFC is out. Who cares if we finish last or not. If we finish last we get #2 pick. I say go for it and let the youths play (on the away games) to get them some experience, and bench the guys that aren't going to be with the team next season.

stugautz
09-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd be happy if we won our last game at home. At least finish strong. The season would still classify as a disappointment.

Beach_Red
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I dont know about you...but i believe they can win 3/4. its Very possible...

When they didn't give up a late goal against Houston on Saturday I started to think anything's possible. There will come a time when tis team turns the corner....

Marco2K
09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
When they didn't give up a late goal against Houston on Saturday I started to think anything's possible. There will come a time when tis team turns the corner....

Some of you have been saying the same thing for the past six games.

THIS TEAM IS NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM

ITS A LAST PLACE TEAM

jloome
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Some of you have been saying the same thing for the past six games.

THIS TEAM IS NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM

ITS A LAST PLACE TEAM

And what good is repeating that mantra, whether it's realistic or not, doing for anyone, exactly?

Besides which, talent for talent it's probably wrong. This team IS in last place. That doesn't mean it should be.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
And what good is repeating that mantra, whether it's realistic or not, doing for anyone, exactly?

Besides which, talent for talent it's probably wrong. This team IS in last place. That doesn't mean it should be.

True, i agree 100%

TFCGing
09-30-2008, 01:22 PM
lol, so much for everyone being "supporters" eh. Keep the dream alive and stay positive. Anything can happen.