PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Opinion On Greg Sutton?

Keyman
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I haven't really been on here much lately, so sorry if this has been discussed at length recently, but I didn't see anything so I'll give it a shot.

This year we finally got to see a healthy Greg Sutton, which is something that we didn't get to see last season. Many people were unsure about whether or not Sutton was good enough to be Toronto's starting 'keeper at the end of last year, and now I wanted to see what the majority opinion was on Sutton after a full season.

If you ask me, I'm torn on his performance this season. His lanky frame obviously acts as a giant wall throughout many games, however, while he may be big, he is not particularly agile. He also, in my opinion lacks proper positioning in goal at times, and has a reaction time that seems to be a split second slower than most GK's in the league. His height always seems to compensate for his weaknesses, almost pushing them under the rug. He also seems to have trouble commanding his backline from what I've seen, however, one must wonder how much better he would become with a solid centre of defense. One thing I've also found is that he lacks consistency; we've seen him put on shows in RFK and Colorado, and let in rollers in LA. He can be one of the best 'keepers in the league, while he can also become very mediocre. It's very tough for me to come to a solid opinion on him.

So what do you guys think? Should Sutton be a member of our team come next season, or should he be let go?

Also, can we please bring in David Monsalve as our back-up. The kid has obvious talent, which was shown in the Aston Villa game, he's Canadian, and he's young. I would much rather have him than Brian Edwards, who in my opinion is a terrible goalkeeper.

Marco2K
09-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I think picking up Jordan from Montreal would be a great pick up. We then could move Edwards for a mid pick

greatwhitenorf
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Sutton is the fcukin' bees nuts!!

GabrielHurl
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
He can make the difficult save

Can't make the easy ones

RedRum
09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Sutton is easily our MVP this year. The own goal against Houston was hardly all on his shoulders. And even if you believe it was, think of all the incredible/impossible saves he has made this year. Circus shit I tell you!

Azerban
09-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Love him. How can a keeper be consistent when the two immediately in front of him are the absolute definition of unreliable?

ensco
09-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Both Sutton and Edwards are enigmas. Tough to say that you "love" or "hate" either of them.

It seems to me that most teams in MLS have GK issues. The gap between MLS and the better euro leagues is bigger in net.

CretanBull
09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Sutton is a good shot-blocker. His positioning (especially on corners) is sometimes spotty. His ball distribution is absolutely terrible - worst in the league among regular starters.

I'm fine with Edwards, he's played well in the minutes that he's been given. I don't think I'd want to see him as our starter, but he's good in his role.

LucaGol
09-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Sutton is the Huerelho Gomes of the MLS.

Great shot stopper, probably as good as you'll find in MLS ... prone to making the occasional gaffe.

If you were to rank MLS goalies:

Matt Reis
Joe Cannon
Kevin Hartman
Jon Busch
Pat Onstad

Then after that probably Greg Sutton probably finds himself in a group with Jon Conway, Dario Sala, Will Hesmer and Nick Rimando.

I like Greg Sutton personally and think he's is our MVP ... I would be interested to see if he'd improve status even further in my eyes with a better team around him.

That being said, if an opportunity arises for us to improve on that position ... I would take it ... as with pretty much every other position are our team.

pepher
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
very good keeper that makes ridiculous mistakes at times. a definite love/hate thing here...

redcard
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
played great at the beginning of the season when the team was playing better...

i would like to see in back in goal next season he will play well as long as the backline is improved.

TFC OZZ
09-29-2008, 05:58 PM
ya, I'd give sutts another go if we got two new centre defenders. I love Marshall, but honestly, I just don't think he's good enough anymore, and as for Velez, I was never fond of him.

Damien
09-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Sutton is shaky on long range shots from just outside the box too.

druid
09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Good shot stopper.
Good wall placements.
Poor coming for high balls and crosses.
Poor distribution, this bugs me the most.
Prone to the occasional howler.

I'd say he's been good for us this season and I don't think it should be a priority to find a replacement. Though drafting a good young keeper might be an idea.

TFC_Toon
09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
With the porous defense in front of him I think he has done well, spetactular at times, ordinary at other times. I would sign him for next season, but as one poster mentioned always be looking to improve at the position.

TFC_Toon
09-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Sutton is easily our MVP this year. The own goal against Houston was hardly all on his shoulders. And even if you believe it was, think of all the incredible/impossible saves he has made this year. Circus shit I tell you!

Hard to say really, don't want to nitpick as it is in the past and lord knows he has kept us from being embarassed a few times.....but, do you think he should have been more commanding on that particular play, communicating effectively to the defender the ball was going to be his? The way Freeman nodded it back indicated to me he did not know what Sutton's intention's were, daft play anyway you cut it really.

BuSaPuNk
09-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I think he just can't handle the workload of playing behind such an unreliable backline. If there were some sort of talent back there he wouldn't have to make so many saves and or give up the oddball goal.

CoachGT
09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Good keeper, makes some great saves, has good size and is generally okay. But his decision making for ball distribution is poor. While the own goal was not his fault alone, remember it started with a poor clearing kick that was shanked and then finished a bad decision to leave his line. He almost rolled a ball out on Saturday with DeRo standing next to him - would have been an easy steal. His lack of concentration for a couple of moments during games has cost us a couple of times, including the game in LA against Chivas. His stellar play has worked into results too, but less often - the best was the LA game for our first win this year.

I understand the argument for him for MVP, but think there are better choices out there mainly because of his inconsistency. His mistakes have a tendancy to be big ones that have ultimately changed results. And although there are 10 other guys on the field, mistakes by a keeper are usually more visible.

TFC_Toon
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Good keeper, makes some great saves, has good size and is generally okay. But his decision making for ball distribution is poor. While the own goal was not his fault alone, remember it started with a poor clearing kick that was shanked and then finished a bad decision to leave his line. He almost rolled a ball out on Saturday with DeRo standing next to him - would have been an easy steal. His lack of concentration for a couple of moments during games has cost us a couple of times, including the game in LA against Chivas. His stellar play has worked into results too, but less often - the best was the LA game for our first win this year.

I understand the argument for him for MVP, but think there are better choices out there mainly because of his inconsistency. His mistakes have a tendancy to be big ones that have ultimately changed results. And although there are 10 other guys on the field, mistakes by a keeper are usually more visible.

Bang on Gary.

sulfur
09-29-2008, 06:27 PM
do you think he should have been more commanding on that particular play, communicating effectively to the defender the ball was going to be his? The way Freeman nodded it back indicated to me he did not know what Sutton's intention's were, daft play anyway you cut it really.

In talking to an ex-pro defender that I work with he told me:

As a defender, if you flick the header back like that not knowing where your GK is... you can expect to score a few nice OGs.

He scored two in his short career (shortened by knee injury).

canadian_bhoy
09-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Sutton makes the saves he is supposed to make, but isn't the type of keeper that can singlehandedly win a game - although, those are few and far between in MLS.

Although he's quite sketchy on penalties - He's a solid keeper and has proved himself in the face of Edwards, Serj and some of the other guys that have set up shop between the posts.

TFC_Toon
09-29-2008, 06:32 PM
In talking to an ex-pro defender that I work with he told me:

He scored two in his short career (shortened by knee injury).

For sure, it was a poor decision on Freeman's part. We will probably never know if Sutton had called for it.

As OG's go, it was a beauty ;)

Roogsy
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Good keeper who has some brainfarts from time to time.

olegunnar
09-29-2008, 06:34 PM
He seems to get by on his size alone. It's as if he's never been coached. The brain cramps are frustrating too. What the hell?

The technical differences between him and Edwards are staggering, but Edwards doesn't have Sutton's size.

I think we need to look at replacing Sutton. I think I read he makes 167K Edwards is servicable and makes $48K.
I don't think there's a $120K difference between the two.
People howl that we over pay for our DM, well I think the same can be said for our Keeper.

Oblio2
09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Sutton isn't that good. USL at best.

joesoccerfan
09-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Sutton doesn't let in as many bad goals as some make it seem IMO. He's got a bad defense that makes him look worse than he is.

Against Houston he was excellent, and nobody should fault him for the OG. Should he have stayed on his line waiting for the blind back-header from Freeman?

olegunnar
09-29-2008, 06:37 PM
For sure, it was a poor decision on Freeman's part. We will probably never know if Sutton had called for it.

As OG's go, it was a beauty ;)

There's a hell of a lot of people that were in 126 and 127 and the beer garden that could tesitfy that Sutton didn't call for anything and had a kamikaze charge of the light brigade moment. Including yours truly.

I mean come on...the guy sits in a lounge chair on his line all season...now he comes?

I bet after the KC game Marshall had wished Sutton had always been so eager to come off his line.

TFC_Toon
09-29-2008, 06:40 PM
There's a hell of a lot of people that were in 126 and 127 and the beer garden that could tesitfy that Sutton didn't call for anything and had a kamikaze charge of the light brigade moment. Including yours truly.

I mean come on...the guy sits in a lounge chair on his line all season...now he comes?

I bet after the KC game Marshall had wished Sutton had always been so eager to come off his line.

Ah, now that makes a huge difference, regardless of what Freeman was thinking.

sulfur
09-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Sadly, still makes no difference. It means that he was not ready for a header back to him though. If a GK wants that, he'll call for it.

Mrs. Workie
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Player of the Year. Hands Down.

koryo
09-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Player of the Year. Hands Down.

I'll second that in a heartbeat.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
with the season winding down, maybe take a look ar Edwards or Monslave, moght as well have a look at them now and decide about the No 1 keeper spot for next season.

Torcida
09-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Sutton is the most overrated player on the team.

rocker
09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
in certain ways I like him, in certain ways I don't... seems to have great reflexes and makes some world class saves at times. But can look kinda shaky as some have mentioned... think of long shots as mentioned above.. or when he and a defender both have an opportunity to get a ball... I think he seems a bit in no man's land on corners sometimes, and then he comes out and punches it on others...

one thing i noticed in the stats is Sutton is facing a lot more shots per start than Edwards. I don't really think there was a big diff between the quality of the men in front of either keeper... it could be a statistical anomaly, or it could be that Edwards' better distribution is leading to fewer shots coming back at him.

profit89
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
we need a goalie from africa.. like louis crayton

Captain Croatia
09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
One play he is brilliant, the next he is shite.

Mind you he does save our ass a lot, but also lets in REALLY shitty shots.

bhoybobby
09-30-2008, 07:44 AM
A very good keeper who has kept us in games & made many world class saves. If only his distribution were better.

One of the best players on a very poor team.

David_Oliveira
09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I think Sutts is a solid goalie who needs better concentration

Wooster_TFC
09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Sutton is a fantastic shot-stopper with some concentration and decision making problems and an atrocious distribution.

The thing with Sutton, is because the backline is so crappy, he's forced to distribute the ball further down the field, and the other team gets the ball back. With two solid CBs, he'll be able to toss the ball short and have options for his poor distribution skills.

See what happens with a solid backline, then worry about replacing him if he can't cut it.

Gobi
09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Best in the league. I can't imagine the pain of losing 6-1 every game if we didn't have him.
It's a shame he's forced to make four or five killer saves every game, but thank god he does.
Of course, when you're tested that much, mistakes are going to happen, but he's basically our only defence.
Player of the Year!

gtaguy
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
without a question he's one of the hardest workers in this team.

positives:
Great on the high shots if he sees them
astonishing reach of his has save our assess time and again
"HE'S GOT THE WINGSPAN OF A CONDOR AND CAN FLY LIKE ONE"

negatives:
lack of communication with his guys in Defence which might be becuase there shite. so really not his fault.
because he's stands like the "cn tower" its difficult to cover the low shots and get down fast enough to block them.

apart from that this guys the real deal.. Imagine what our season would look like if he'd not been there for so many spectacular saves

Mark in Ottawa
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Greg has had a busy few years. Coming back from concussion, called up for Canada from time to time, inconsistent club team in front of him, becoming a father.

Lots to deal with and he has played as well as could be expected.
Sure he has made mistakes. Unfortunately as the last line of defence there is no one watching your back is there?

bhoybobby
09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Sutton is the most overrated player on the team.

Sure, there's at least 11 in front of him. Poor guy has to play behind that lot of shite in front of him, it's a wonder he's not in a padded cell

Oblio2
09-30-2008, 07:47 PM
isnt there 10 players in front of him?

Lucky Strike
09-30-2008, 07:56 PM
He's definitely our #1 keeper and I strongly believe that given a good defence, he can be much better. As mentioned by others, his distribution has always annoyed me although lately, I've noticed he plays short much more often, which is obviously a sign of him realizing the problem and attempting to do something about it.

el rojo fanatico
09-30-2008, 08:20 PM
His distribution problems and other minor quirks in his game will keep him in the MLS. Look at the record of this league and you see that any great keeper with the total package of skills will not be in the MLS long(Friedel, Guzon, Hahnemann, etc.). I think we should be happy with a good keeper because we will not have a great keeper long.

Ladies Love Julius James
09-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah but we will not release him and I don't think he wanna joins you.

I want Peter Byers. He'd come for a fat contract.