PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Sept.29

denime
09-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Good Morning !

In its second season, Toronto FC continues to struggle to be a team, rather than a group of individuals wearing the same kit

By GARETH WHEELER

It was a sea of red and yellow at BMO Field on Saturday.
The red: As per usual, the masses wearing their red Toronto FC jerseys. The yellow: A noticeable amount of extra security and Metro's finest peppered through the stands after complaints of bad behaviour, during and after Toronto FC's previous home game on Sept. 13.
Let's put an end to this whole "hooliganism" thing; It's not happening here, and any perceived crowd problems have been grossly exaggerated.
It's unbelievable this story has lasted this long. And it's sad that when people who aren't soccer fans talk about TFC, they're discussing the off-the-field issues.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/09/29/6917066-sun.html)

Danny Dichio
Toronto FC Striker with Josh Gold-Smith,FAN590

The FAN's Josh Gold-Smith caught up with the veteran Toronto FC forward at a charity event on Sunday at BMO Field. Dichio played in the Brian Budd Memorial Game and showed his support for Street Kids International. The fan favourite shared fond memories of the late Budd and talked about what his club needs to do to avoid missing the MLS playoffs.

Listen here (http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20080928_172939_11620)

TFC fans are singers, not fighters
Bill Lankhof

Jim Kowba went to see Toronto FC play yesterday and did not feel like Public Enemy No. 1. He was decked out in a Houston Dynamo team jersey. Scary stuff.
Just two weeks ago Columbus Crew fans claimed they were roughed up at BMO Field and had a team scarf ripped off.
"I haven't seen any fights -- but I've seen singing," said Dave Menegotto of Guelph.

Read more (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Lankhof/2008/09/28/6910426-sun.html)

SUMSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :eek: :noidea:

BuSaPuNk
09-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Bill Lankhof is pure class. Nice to see print media not jumping on the bandwagon of bullshit. Great to get what the concenses of us feel here in the media, without saying it ourselfs.

The Kingpin
09-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Yep. "PURE CLASS". The Sun are "PURE CLASS"... Top flight!!

Fort York Redcoat
09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
I've read and then avoided Lankof for years. His spin was so consistently negative. Now this is a wonderful surprise.

Perhaps another NA sports writer reborn through footie?

I'm sure every piece can't be so sweet but here's hoping.

BuSaPuNk
09-29-2008, 07:11 AM
I've read and then avoided Lankof for years. His spin was so consistently negative. Now this is a wonderful surprise.

Sure hope so. It's great that they can be a little positive, god knows the team needs it.

Technorgasm
09-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Wynne's goal maks my taco pop!

Dude. . . that was awesome.

THAT is why I will always love my local team
THAT is why I will continue to support through my presence and song
THAT is why I renewed and will do so for all time

Its the moments of pride that make it all worth it.

Forever thine
Forever Mine
Forever ours
TORONTO FC

WALK ON.

olegunnar
09-29-2008, 09:14 AM

Does anyone think he actually wrote that article? Or just put his name on it. What do you think he gets for doing this? A one on one with Carver? Promise of the scoop on the new DP?

I mean come on, it's like a TFC tv piece. Was CV2 interviewing the people? It made sure to touch on all the hot topics that the FO would want.
1) no fights
2) no throwing stuff
3) Beer vendors ID everyone, so no underage drinking, take that AGCO!
4) great fun had by all...yippee.

I think the message is an important one, but it's such an obvious fluff piece that lets not fall over ourselves in praise of Lankoff.

Sonny Cheeba
09-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Lankhof's article wasn't that great. had a few good points though.

that sunshine girl is a welder and a working mom for anyone who didn't bother reading the little blurb about her.

Oldtimer
09-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Does anyone think he actually wrote that article? Or just put his name on it. What do you think he gets for doing this? A one on one with Carver? Promise of the scoop on the new DP?

Wow, dude, I think you're getting a LITTLE too suspicious here...

olegunnar
09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow, dude, I think you're getting a LITTLE too suspicious here...

Sorry

However I have first hand experience with this happening in far bigger sports markets than Toronto.

It's also very common in NCAA football. A reporter will "maintain" access by writing flattering stories. Unflattering stories or inaccurate stories can result in a paper/reporter losing their credentials, either temprorarily or permanently.

So to answer your assertion, I'd argue it's less tin foil hats, grassy knoll shooters and UFOs and more experience that led me to my conclusions.

flatpicker
09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
That Sunshine Girl looks ready to kick same ass!

Parkdale
09-29-2008, 11:58 AM
after the Sun piece last week, it doesn't surprise me that they would run a positive story. After all.... wasn't the Sun an official sponsor of TFC last season? Are they still?

CoachGT
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes, I was surprised to see the opening lineup being brought to you by the Sun, the official paper of Toronto FC! I'm a little surprised at that because imo the Globe has been much better for TFC than the Sun.