PDA

View Full Version : Food For Thought- The upcoming expansion draft

S_D
09-28-2008, 11:57 AM
So the expansion draft is coming up at the end of the season, and I was looking at the list to see who I think we would leave protected.

Rules:
1) only 11 players can be protected
2) you have to protect all of your internationals except 1
3) G/A players are not subject to the draft
4) Go by the official roster and designations here
http://web.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280 (http://web.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280)

Make 2 scenarios
Scenario 1. Roster stands as it is
Scenario 2. You can put players on waivers at any time prior to the end of the season to remove them from the team.

Scenario 1

Danny Dichio - I
Todd Dunivant - I
Amado Guevara - I
Julius James - I
Tyrone Marshall - I
Rohan Ricketts - I
Carl Robinson - I
Johann Smith - I
Marvell Wynne - I
Jim Brennan - S
Chad Barrett - S
Ibrahim - G/A

Unprotected I

Carlos Ruiz

* If DD annouces his retirement replace his slot with Sutton

Scenario 2

Waivers:
Carlos Ruiz

Todd Dunivant - I
Amado Guevara - I
Julius James - I
Tyrone Marshall - I
Rohan Ricketts - I
Carl Robinson - I
Johann Smith - I
Marvell Wynne - I
Jim Brennan - S
Chad Barrett - S
Brian Edwards - S
Ibrahim - G/A

Unprotected I

Danny Dichio

* If DD announces his retirement move Dunnivant to unprotected I and protect Sutton. I would like to move Marshall but he is the better of the 2 CB's and we can't afford not to have any seasoned CB's at the start of next season

- I have not protected any developmental Canadians as Seattle would have to use an International slot to take them.
- I have put Ruiz on unprotected/ released as he has medical problems and assuming that Mo is as good as his word about getting a DP.

Who would you protect?

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 12:08 PM
So the expansion draft is coming up at the end of the season, and I was looking at the list to see who I think we would leave protected.

Rules:
1) only 11 players can be protected
2) you have to protect all of your internationals except 1
3) G/A players are not subject to the draft
4) Go by the official roster and designations here
http://web.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280 (http://web.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280)

Make 2 scenarios
Scenario 1. Roster stands as it is
Scenario 2. You can put players on waivers at any time prior to the end of the season to remove them from the team.

Scenario 1

Danny Dichio - I
Todd Dunivant - I
Amado Guevara - I
Julius James - I
Tyrone Marshall - I
Rohan Ricketts - I
Carl Robinson - I
Johann Smith - I
Marvell Wynne - I
Jim Brennan - S
Chad Barrett - S
Ibrahim - G/A

Unprotected I

Carlos Ruiz

* If DD annouces his retirement replace his slot with Sutton

Scenario 2

Waivers:
Carlos Ruiz

Todd Dunivant - I
Amado Guevara - I
Julius James - I
Tyrone Marshall - I
Rohan Ricketts - I
Carl Robinson - I
Johann Smith - I
Marvell Wynne - I
Jim Brennan - S
Chad Barrett - S
Brian Edwards - S
Ibrahim - G/A

Unprotected I

Danny Dichio

* If DD announces his retirement move Dunnivant to unprotected I and protect Sutton. I would like to move Marshall but he is the better of the 2 CB's and we can't afford not to have any seasoned CB's at the start of next season

- I have not protected any developmental Canadians as Seattle would have to use an International slot to take them.
- I have put Ruiz on unprotected/ released as he has medical problems and assuming that Mo is as good as his word about getting a DP.

Who would you protect?

Protected
Dunivant
Guevara
James
Marshall
Wynne
Ricketts
Robinson
Jo Smith
Barrett
Edwards
Harmse

Unprotected
Brennan
Dichio
Velez

Ossington Mental Youth
09-28-2008, 12:33 PM
I can see Dunivant, Velez, Harmse and maybe Marshall all being unprotected, all expendable.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Theres no way Brennan would be unprotected, or Dichio, im sorry man but thats insane.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Id also toss JaSmith in the unprotected list as well

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Theres no way Brennan would be unprotected, or Dichio, im sorry man but thats insane.

Dichio is so banged up, he might be finised so theres no risk there.

Brennan he is our andrew raycraft...lets guys get by him with muchout effort to stop em.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Brennan was the first player that was brought into this organization, captain of the team and is a fan favorite, he will be with the organization for years to come. The latter two describe Dichio as well. Dichio has a school in Toronto and said that TFC wants to resign him again for next season just this morning. Im sorry man, i do not see it. Ill gladly apologize and admit im wrong if and when it happens but im not too worried about that. The distinction between personally disliking a player and the realistic potential for that player to be left unprotected needs to be made.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Brennan was the first player that was brought into this organization, captain of the team and is a fan favorite, he will be with the organization for years to come. The latter two describe Dichio as well. Dichio has a school in Toronto and said that TFC wants to resign him again for next season just this morning. Im sorry man, i do not see it. Ill gladly apologize and admit im wrong if and when it happens but im not too worried about that. The distinction between personally disliking a player and the realistic potential for that player to be left unprotected needs to be made.

no thats cool..im NOT a member of the Brennan fan club...just like lots of fans felt towards Cunny...now the question of who should be captain of the club is something that needs asking at the end of the season. and rememer a unprotected player may not get picked at all, sometimes its worth the rsik to keep upcoming players on the roster.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-28-2008, 01:27 PM
very true, i think in this case its ok to leave players that have had plenty of time to prove themselves (ie Velez, JaSmith) and havent yet, as well as players that are simply past it or expendable (Dunny, Marshall). (for the record i dont think one way or another about any of these guys, in fact i kinda like Dunny and think hes useful off the bench, they just seem to be players that come immediately to mind as not having done anything above and beyond the call of duty, granted thats not saying much these days HA)

S_D
09-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I can't see Brennan being left unprotected for the reasons above. I'd hate to see him get picked up. I guess it depends what other teams leave unprotected.

I don't think Dunnivant is past it. I kept him on the protected list because he can play both left d and left mid.

I left Dichio unprotected in the second scenario because I thought with his concussion problems and age he would unlikely be picked. That isn't to say though that he won't be picked and held for randsom like Mo did to other teams.

I would be ok leaving Marshall unprotected as long as Mo had someone already picked out. It would be an aweful risk to leave him dangling out there is there was nobody out there to replace him.

What concerns me the most was Mo's inability to get someone signed during the preseason. Not sure if it was that difficult to find someone at the time or he was just overwhelmed wth all the new things going on. Going into the season without a decent CB is not something that we can tolerate.

And RPB Brantford...I noticed that Ruiz wasn't on either list. Do I assume you gave him the boot like I did in scenario 2?

ua-kozak_TFC
09-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Protected
Dunivant
Guevara
James
Marshall
Wynne
Ricketts
Robinson
Jo Smith
Barrett
Edwards
Harmse

Unprotected
Brennan
Dichio
Velez
you would rather have harmse than brenan or dichio??? WOW dude you really should stop whatever u are smoking.... its not good for you.....

Ossington Mental Youth
09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Not saying Dunny is past it but he is expendable, i do like him tho and he is handy
Ruiz may or may not be around as his contract ends at the end of this season.
His salary would still be grandfathered for one more year (next year).
Question is after this season will the MLS and/or TFC want to renew his contract and if they do what will they pay him

Ossington Mental Youth
09-28-2008, 04:49 PM
he may take a year off to play in Guatamula and then come back like Guevara, i really dont see the MLS resigning a contract with his current salary after this season...

Chewy Unikronik
09-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Let them have Marshall if they want... It's not like he's getting better with age...

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I can't see Brennan being left unprotected for the reasons above. I'd hate to see him get picked up. I guess it depends what other teams leave unprotected.

I don't think Dunnivant is past it. I kept him on the protected list because he can play both left d and left mid.

I left Dichio unprotected in the second scenario because I thought with his concussion problems and age he would unlikely be picked. That isn't to say though that he won't be picked and held for randsom like Mo did to other teams.

I would be ok leaving Marshall unprotected as long as Mo had someone already picked out. It would be an aweful risk to leave him dangling out there is there was nobody out there to replace him.

What concerns me the most was Mo's inability to get someone signed during the preseason. Not sure if it was that difficult to find someone at the time or he was just overwhelmed wth all the new things going on. Going into the season without a decent CB is not something that we can tolerate.

And RPB Brantford...I noticed that Ruiz wasn't on either list. Do I assume you gave him the boot like I did in scenario 2?

i wasnt quite sure what to do with him to tell you the truth...i hope will see the gola scorer in him next season.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 05:59 PM
you would rather have harmse than brenan or dichio??? WOW dude you really should stop whatever u are smoking.... its not good for you.....

Harmse could run faster blind folded and shoeless then dichio on a regular day....Brennan over rated...but he did play for Norwich:rolleyes:

ua-kozak_TFC
09-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Harmse could run faster blind folded and shoeless then dichio on a regular day....Brennan over rated...but he did play for Norwich:rolleyes:
this is not about who runs faster... it;s about how you play.
Ex: Blanco and Riquelme are quite slow on the field. Then according to you thinking they would be out of our squad too.
Harmse can;t pass, has a horrible first touch, his tackles lead to ejections. He is probably one of the worst DMs in the league....

I noticed you have something against brenan.... i donno what but your have a grudge against him...

Keegan
09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Why would you protect Dunivant? That is the dumbest thing.

rocker
09-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Why would you protect Dunivant? That is the dumbest thing.

it's not dumb at all.. it's a product of the rules.

according to last year's rules you have to protect all your internationals except 1. currently Dunivant is one of 10 internationals on the team according to the MLSnet.com roster. That means Mojo must protect 9 of em.

S_D lists two scenarios above: where you either leave Dichio or Ruiz off as the 10th international. Dichio because he's hurtin and old or Ruiz because he makes a shitload of money and probably nobody will touch him, particularly since he has a lingering injury.
I wouldn't leave open Dunny because he's more likely to get selected (since Dunny's American) than Dichio or Ruiz. And he's a good serviceable, veteran player at a cheap price.
I doubt Seattle would take Ruiz because of what it does to the cap. Dichio isn't that expensive, and maybe they'd take him.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 10:00 PM
this is not about who runs faster... it;s about how you play.
Ex: Blanco and Riquelme are quite slow on the field. Then according to you thinking they would be out of our squad too.
Harmse can;t pass, has a horrible first touch, his tackles lead to ejections. He is probably one of the worst DMs in the league....

I noticed you have something against brenan.... i donno what but your have a grudge against him...

Blanco hasn't impressed me since he arrived, ok he puts fans in the seats in Chicago but his best days are long gone. Harmse may tackle hard,
but some of those ejections were not warrented. Brennan might impress if he played further up field hes; terrible at the back IMHO, but thats me.

Shakes McQueen
09-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Ruiz doesn't need to be waived, or protected. His contract is up at the conclusion of this season, so he will technically be a free agent until he signs with a club.

Meaning if TFC decided to keep him, they would only need to wait until after the draft, then sign a deal. As I understand it, anyway.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
09-29-2008, 02:36 AM
Still can't wrap my head over how complicated and convoluted the drafting process is with MLS. I any case, I have a feeling Seattle will be taking someone(s) from us like San Jose did with Poz. I don't think it will be so much to augment to augment their squad, but to keep us inconvenienced given our current and projected roster issues.

Oldtimer
09-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Harmse will be unprotected. Other teams don't rate him. His major asset for TFC is that he's Canadian.

Brennan will be protected. He plays very well when he is with a better team (see what he's done with the CMNT and you'll see what I mean).

I can't see DD being on the unprotected list, either.

Wooster_TFC
09-29-2008, 09:06 AM
There are some things I'm unsure of, which is why this becomes a very tough call to make. Questions I have are the following:

1. Do player's contracts (such as Freeman, Ruiz) come up before or after the draft (ie do you officially have to waive an expiring contract in order to not protect them).

2. Is there some regulation against players who are without contract resigning with the club AFTER the draft (ie Dichio, Ricketts) so as to have them not be protected.

Based off the roster as it stands, and assuming that the designations are correct, I see the following happening:

Contract up, not resigned (before draft):

Ruiz
Freeman

G/A
Ibrahim

Protected:
Barrett
Brennan
Dichio
Dunivant
Guevara
James
Marshall
Ricketts
Robinson
Jo Smith
Wynne

Unprotected
Edwards
Harmse
Sutton
Ja Smith
Velez

Reasoning:

No need to protect either goalie, since Seattle can only pick one player from our team, and they already have Kasey Keller signed to be their #1 goalie. I don't think either will get picked up.

Harmse is probably not picked up simply because he's Canadian, although the selection of Pozniak last year might make them think twice if they rate him as a player. Either way, there are other options (such as Rosenlund) who can play the bench spot that Harmse is currently slotted into.

Both Jarrod Smith and Velez are sticky points for me. I could see either of these two being swapped out for Dichio if the big man is not in the teams plans. More likely it would be Velez, just because they rate him higher right now. If we have one or two CBs lined up for signings, then I could also see one of the two of them getting swapped out for Marshall.

None of the Devs would be protected, unless some more spots open up due to expiring contracts.

S_D
09-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Ruiz doesn't need to be waived, or protected. His contract is up at the conclusion of this season, so he will technically be a free agent until he signs with a club.

Meaning if TFC decided to keep him, they would only need to wait until after the draft, then sign a deal. As I understand it, anyway.

- Scott

The Expansion Draft took place at the end of November last year, and as far as I know contracts go until the end of December (not the end of the season) when the bonuses are paid out. The league year as set out in the CBA is Jan 1 - Dec 31.

If this is the case ( I am looking specific proof in the CBA later today) then Ruiz would definitely have to be waived if they wanted to protect other players in my scenario 2.

rocker
09-29-2008, 10:50 AM
The Expansion Draft took place at the end of November last year, and as far as I know contracts go until the end of December (not the end of the season) when the bonuses are paid out. The league year as set out in the CBA is Jan 1 - Dec 31.

i believe you are correct. cuz the expansion draft was before the waiver draft last year. I believe rosters must stay in place from September 15 until after the expansion draft.
it makes sense as otherwise you could waive so many guys and basically leave nothing of value for the expansion draft.

Wooster_TFC
09-29-2008, 12:32 PM
The fact that Jarrod Smith is listed as US/Domestic on the TFC site makes me wonder if their designations are right.

S_D
09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
The fact that Jarrod Smith is listed as US/Domestic on the TFC site makes me wonder if their designations are right.

I question it a bit too. Does he have dual citizenship or something? He went to university in the States did he not?

i believe you are correct. cuz the expansion draft was before the waiver draft last year. I believe rosters must stay in place from September 15 until after the expansion draft.
it makes sense as otherwise you could waive so many guys and basically leave nothing of value for the expansion draft.

You can waive a player at any time of the season. Rosters don't have to stay in place per se, it is the matter of salary. If you waive a player, (unless he is picked up by another team), you are still responsible for his salary unless it is before the July 1st deadline.

It would be crazy though to waive most of your team just to prevent your team from losing 1 player. To waive 1 guy though so you can protect an important player makes decent sense. Not sure if it has been done before though.

A team may place a player on waivers at any time during the regular season at which point he is made available to all other teams. The waiver claiming period shall commence on the first business day after the League delivers notice to teams and shall expire at 5:00 p.m. EST on the second business day after the Waiver Period Commencement Date. The claiming period is 48 hours

http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

J .
10-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Guevara
Barrett
Attakora-Gyan
James
Wynne
Ibbe
Brennan

---------------GK

Wynne-----CB-----A-G-----Brennan

------------MC

ML----------------------------MR

------------Guevara

-------Barrett-----DP-----

Bench

Ibbe
James

These are the guys I hope are back for next season, their are areas where we can improve upon. I think Robinson is great, but at the price, it is too a lot and I think we are going to get a major influx of young talent next season so I cannot see Robbo here at the end of the 5year plan. There is younger cheaper talent available for his spot on the field. I like Che for one more season and then he could be replaced as well.

Sutton has done a great job, but if we can get an even better keeper, then I would take the upgrade.

Ricketts, the Smiths are decent but Ricketts pulled a disappearing winger act on some nights, Ja Smith I think is expendable, JoSmith at first had me hating but he is making me a believer more and more. I think if DeRo takes a position on the wing, we could also up grade on the other side as well. It would give Che a ton of space. These guys I would be content if they came back, but will need to improve next year. Ricketts could be an allstar and was mediocre on too many nights.

Attakora-Gyan, young Canadian and he has played well I believe for a 19 year old. He is a future top backliner I think. Better than James right now, James is a good player but needs some work. I think with some more conditioning, A-G could be a starter for us.

T_Mizz
10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Do US players count as Internationals? because if so then we have way too many to protect (rule 1) but still have to protect them (rule 2)

Axeman
10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Protected
Dunivant
Guevara
James
Marshall
Wynne
Ricketts
Robinson
Jo Smith
Barrett
Edwards
Harmse

Unprotected
Brennan
Dichio
Velez
Not protecting Jimmy B, I guess you haven't been watching games the last 2 years then?

Axeman
10-21-2008, 09:21 PM
no thats cool..im NOT a member of the Brennan fan club...just like lots of fans felt towards Cunny...now the question of who should be captain of the club is something that needs asking at the end of the season.
This is the stupidist post I've ever seen on this board!

oxygenatedbrain
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
It's what he does...

nascarguy
10-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Guevara
Barrett
Attakora-Gyan
James
Wynne
Ibbe
Brennan

---------------GK

Wynne-----CB-----A-G-----Brennan

------------MC

ML----------------------------MR

------------Guevara

-------Barrett-----DP-----

Bench

Ibbe
James

Wynne in midfield he is alot better there

nascarguy
10-22-2008, 04:15 AM
This is the stupidist post I've ever seen on this board!
no I have seen alot more dumb things on this form

Ossington Mental Youth
10-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Wynne in midfield he is alot better there

his last 4 games hes played defense, these are the games hes scored and had assists. he will never be a mid, he hasnt got the crosses down.
granted he hasnt got the defending down either but hes more likely the get the defending sorted before hand

Wooster_TFC
10-22-2008, 07:19 AM
his last 4 games hes played defense, these are the games hes scored and had assists. he will never be a mid, he hasnt got the crosses down.
granted he hasnt got the defending down either but hes more likely the get the defending sorted before hand

I think the key there in the last third of the season was that he had Freeman in front of him at RM, who also plays RB. Earlier in the season Ricketts was in front of him and rarely tracked back. So, when Wynne ran forward, he got caught.