PDA

View Full Version : 3 Important Observations

giambac
09-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I attended yesterday's game after missing the past 2 games due to disinterest. I figured with only 2 remaining home games and given they were playingthe defending MLS champion, I decided to use my tickets.

These are the 3 key observations fro my point of view from yesterdays game

1) EMPTY SEATS -They may have announced sellout crowd with over 20,000 fans but there were several empty seats in trhe stadium. I was sitting in the west side and looking at the east side of the satdium at least 1/4 of the seats were empty. I guess a lot of fans have been doing what I have done in the past 2 games and that is stay at home. I hope MLSE was watching and watching with concern. THE HONEYMOON IS OVER.

2) Marvel WYNN - I hope this game finally shuts up all the people who say this guy is a liability. This guy is by far the best player and most valuable player on the team. He scored a tremndous goal and he saved a goal with his hussle in getting back to stop a breakaway late in the 2nd half. This guy has speed, he has hdetermination and he plays with heart. I think he is one of the sole bright spots on this team. I think TFC supporters will eventually come around and see how good a player he is. The problem is that it will probaly be to late because this guy will be heading overseas in the near future. you can bank on that.

3) Effort - Although I wasn't happy with the end result , a tie does us no good, I was very happy with the teams effort. We played a good game vs the defending MLS champions. I wanted a win but like I have always said, so long as the team plays with heart and with passion I will be happy. I must say that yesterday's effort was the teams best effort in the past 2 -3 months. We deserved the win and would have gotten the win if not for the own goal and some of the missed opportunities.

I also noticed that coach Carver wasn't on the sidelines yesterday. He was serving his game suspension. Tell me do you think that it was just a coincidence that the TFC playerers finally put together a 90 minute effort when their head coach wasn't on the sideline? I don't think it was a coincidence. I think it was a statement!

flatpicker
09-28-2008, 09:25 AM
I attended yesterday's game after missing the past 2 games due to disinterest.

pffft...

I also noticed that coach Carver wasn't on the sidelines yesterday. He was serving his game suspension. Tell me do you think that it was just a coincidence that the TFC playerers finally put together a 90 minute effort when their head coach wasn't on the sideline? I don't think it was a coincidence. I think it was a statement!honestly... they may have played better than there last game, but it was hardly a good game.
Their lack of passing ability drove me nuts.
You think the players don't like Carver or something?
I wouldn't know... but either way... they haven't played to their potential in a long time (including last night)

Kayed
09-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Why can I not see giambac's post?

Shakes McQueen
09-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I also noticed that coach Carver wasn't on the sidelines yesterday. He was serving his game suspension. Tell me do you think that it was just a coincidence that the TFC playerers finally put together a 90 minute effort when their head coach wasn't on the sideline? I don't think it was a coincidence. I think it was a statement!

The word is that Carver tore a strip off them at the half. Seems like more plausible motivation to me.

And what statement would they be making, anyway? Rumour has always been that the players quite like Carver.

- Scott

KdotOdot
09-28-2008, 09:40 AM
For the most part I agree with you. Mavel has been my TFC MVP for a while.

But that last sentence was completely retarded.

jayeden
09-28-2008, 09:57 AM
you bold and capitalize wynne, yet you cant even spell his name..

between the first line where you explain about not using your tickets, and you not being able to spell your 'hero' players name... your post lost whatever credibility it had with me in the first place, which wasn't much

Tyler Durden
09-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I attended yesterday's game after missing the past 2 games due to disinterest. I figured with only 2 remaining home games and given they were playingthe defending MLS champion, I decided to use my tickets.

1) EMPTY SEATS -They may have announced sellout crowd with over 20,000 fans but there were several empty seats in trhe stadium. I was sitting in the west side and looking at the east side of the satdium at least 1/4 of the seats were empty. I guess a lot of fans have been doing what I have done in the past 2 games and that is stay at home. I hope MLSE was watching and watching with concern. THE HONEYMOON IS OVER.

With the price of gas on top of a shitty past few months of Football from TFC I too figured it wasnt worth the money and time to drive to Toronto when the team is performing this bad.....I can only take so much low quality football.....

side note - Wynne has been my fav from day 1.....not ready for europe, lacks quality on the ball, but theres no denying he is the fastest in the league,,,

also anyone else love watching Johann Smith play? I think he should get more opportunity next year, he is quality and pace...Rohan is great on the ball too but consistency is a question....Ibby's positioning yesterday wasnt there....but has potential...Jarrod Smith needs to leave, not good on the ball and his football sense just isnt there....

ua-kozak_TFC
09-28-2008, 10:04 AM

2) Marvel WYNN - I hope this game finally shuts up all the people who say this guy is a liability. This guy is by far the best player and most valuable player on the team. He scored a tremndous goal and he saved a goal with his hussle in getting back to stop a breakaway late in the 2nd half. This guy has speed, he has hdetermination and he plays with heart. I think he is one of the sole bright spots on this team. I think TFC supporters will eventually come around and see how good a player he is. The problem is that it will probaly be to late because this guy will be heading overseas in the near future. you can bank on that.

I agree with you that he is the most hardworking player on the pitch by far. But i disagree with you in th efact he is the best one.... because that is SUtton!!! Wynne is good but he is very coarse and clumsy in the 18 yeard box.

profit89
09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Carver tore a strip off them at the half. They came out and played better. Carver stays imo.

giambac
09-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Carver tore a strip off them at the half. They came out and played better. Carver stays imo.

h etore a srtip off them at bhalf time and they played betetr?

why didn't he tear a strip off them 4 months ago?

Tyler Durden
09-28-2008, 10:42 AM

why didn't he tear a strip off them 4 months ago?

because he got complacent...:p

Oblio2
09-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with you that he is the most hardworking player on the pitch by far. But i disagree with you in th efact he is the best one.... because that is SUtton!!! Wynne is good but he is very coarse and clumsy in the 18 yeard box.

Really?
Sutton is ordinary....I would say a USL Keeper at best.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 11:06 AM

3) Effort - Although I wasn't happy with the end result , a tie does us no good, I was very happy with the teams effort. We played a good game vs the defending MLS champions. I wanted a win but like I have always said, so long as the team plays with heart and with passion I will be happy. I must say that yesterday's effort was the teams best effort in the past 2 -3 months. We deserved the win and would have gotten the win if not for the own goal and some of the missed opportunities.

empty seats....with the weather the ways it was you expected them all full? your kidding yourself there.

Wynn as been my player of the year so far as noone can really beat him
to that title.

effort_ yes it was there..can they do it for 2 games in a row?

FluSH
09-28-2008, 11:14 AM
LAWL

I agree with you up to the HONEYMOON IS OVER part... everything else is big stretch

Oldtimer
09-28-2008, 11:19 AM
BTW, what does everyone think of the switch between Wynne and Harmse? Besides Wynne gaining the goal, Harmse actually looked more solid to me than the regulars playing back.

Section 117
09-28-2008, 11:20 AM
[quote=giambac;202750]
[/quote

Marvel is a great athlete, but has next to no soccer IQ.

If he could cross a ball he could pay in Europe, so Giambac I'll take your bet and I will be laughing all the way to the bank

Lucky Strike
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM

I totally understand what that means...:rolleyes:

Dirk Diggler
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
empty seats....with the weather the ways it was you expected them all full? your kidding yourself there.

Wynn as been my player of the year so far as noone can really beat him
to that title.

effort_ yes it was there..can they do it for 2 games in a row?

WTF? What was wrong with the weather yesterday? If people stayed home on matchdays due to overcast weather than no one would ever attend any matches in England. Lets try not to be oblivious. We all know the reason why attendance was so poor yesterday.

MFG1
09-28-2008, 11:23 AM
The word is that Carver tore a strip off them at the half. Seems like more plausible motivation to me.

- Scott

After 4 months of this should he have had to tear a strip off of them at halftime?????

Tyler Durden
09-28-2008, 11:26 AM
[quote=RPB_Brantford_08;202802]empty seats....with the weather the ways it was you expected them all full? your kidding yourself there.

quote]

obviously its not the weather.....ITS THE QUALITY!!!!!!

They have the hardest time scoring more than one fucking goal....how do expect to win? tie yes...win no...

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Let's see...Carver prepared them all week (Wynne included) saw them before the game and then during the half and you are saying their performance has nothing to do with him?

I love how when they play how you like, it has nothing to do with Carver, but when they don't, it's all Carver's fault. Irrationality at it's most obvious.

olegunnar
09-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I've noticed that a LOT of STH are giving away their tickets now. There's a lot of new faces in seats. Dumb comments and people surprised that it's not like going to a baseball game where you sit there and just eat.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
[quote=RPB_Brantford_08;202802]empty seats....with the weather the ways it was you expected them all full? your kidding yourself there.

quote]

obviously its not the weather.....ITS THE QUALITY!!!!!!

They have the hardest time scoring more than one fucking goal....how do expect to win? tie yes...win no...

real fans support the team no matter what is happening on the field..
thats all we need is fairweather fans who only show up when the team is winning.

Tyler Durden
09-28-2008, 02:29 PM
thats all we need is fairweather fans who only show up when the team is winning.

by not going to the game and watching it on TV, how is that not supporting your team?

Im sorry but if the team lacks quality day in day out, we as fans are allowed to display our displeasure....if that means not spending a day travelling and not emptying our wallets at the stadium then by golly im doing it...

Marco2K
09-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I dont think they played a solid 90 mins yesterday.

Empty seats... Are you suprised? Lets be serious. we are in dead last.

rocker
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I've noticed that a LOT of STH are giving away their tickets now. There's a lot of new faces in seats. Dumb comments and people surprised that it's not like going to a baseball game where you sit there and just eat.

i notice the same thing.. the three halfrows around me (maybe 30 seats) are owned by these italian buddies (giambac??) and they only show up on sunny days. whenever it rains, they are nowhere to be found.

I saw too many people who i've never seen before in my section, and a shitload of people who had no clue where they were going. I'm not sure if the section signs are really badly designed at BMO or what, but too many newbies end up turning "left" and into my section, and then it turns out they should have turned right... the disruption is noticeable more lately.

giambac
09-28-2008, 05:47 PM
i notice the same thing.. the three halfrows around me (maybe 30 seats) are owned by these italian buddies (giambac??) and they only show up on sunny days. whenever it rains, they are nowhere to be found.

I saw too many people who i've never seen before in my section, and a shitload of people who had no clue where they were going. I'm not sure if the section signs are really badly designed at BMO or what, but too many newbies end up turning "left" and into my section, and then it turns out they should have turned right... the disruption is noticeable more lately.

In 2 short seasons the fad is wearing thin. No quality soccer = no interest= problem for TFC = problems for the league

MLSE had bad realize and realize soon that this isn't the Leafs where fans will support a team even if they are pathetic. The same doesn't an dwon't apply for TFC.

MLSE and Mo Johonson better have apaln for next season. Season 3 will be a make or break season for this franchise.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
In 2 short seasons the fad is wearing thin. No quality soccer = no interest= problem for TFC = problems for the league

MLSE had bad realize and realize soon that this isn't the Leafs where fans will support a team even if they are pathetic. The same doesn't an dwon't apply for TFC.

MLSE and Mo Johonson better have apaln for next season. Season 3 will be a make or break season for this franchise.

you don;t build a quality team in two seasons thats near impossible and should not be demanded as some folks have..building a solid frachise takes time. season 3 will be a make or break season..don;t be a drama queen, next year will be better im sure of that,but if people expect playoofs or MLS cup they will be letting themselves down.

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 05:54 PM

What? :eek: We'd better tell the dozens of forum posters that keep calling TFC fans "Leaf Fans"...I thought the stadium was full of them.

As for your statement that next year is a make or break season...we finally agree on something G. Next year is vitally important. Another pathetic season and I think the damage to the fanbase in this city for the team will be difficult to overcome. This city is NOT looking for another loser team to support.

Beach_Red
09-28-2008, 06:42 PM

The fad wearing off was certainly something MLSE was worried about. How much money would you invest in a salary cap-controlled league that is determined to have parity if the fans only show up if you always win?

This isn't some European league where the same 4 teams win every year and everybody else is only worried about relegation and still get support.

I see where St. Mirren in the Scottish league have built a new 20,000 seat stadium - maybe this year they'll win the league! Oh right.....

Soccer has always failed in Toronto and if the only way it can be profitable is if the team always wins, then who would invest?

druid
09-29-2008, 10:10 AM
[quote=Tyler Durden;202824]

i know a few clubs that were saved by the support taking it upon themselves to force change on their clubs by staying away.

As to whether Carver contributed to the win... It's hard to say what his effect is on the remaining squad but its was easy to see that the own goal rests on his shoulders: the starting formation and team selection was a nightmare of the highest order. We were lucky to salvage a point.

Beach_Red
09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
[quote=RPB_Brantford_08;202922]

i know a few clubs that were saved by the support taking it upon themselves to force change on their clubs by staying away.

And do you really think that's what would happen here? Or would people say, "I told you so, Toronto is a city of fads and the fad wore off. Soccer will always fail inToronto."

Mikey
09-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I attended yesterday's game after missing the past 2 games due to disinterest.

Is there any hope that your disinterest could stretch to the entire 09 season?

giambac
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Is there any hope that your disinterest could stretch to the entire 09 season?

Quite possible it can stretch to the 09 season just as it is quite possible to stretch out to 90-95% of Tte TFC supporters. We won't settle for boring bush league quality soccer.

You might settle for another season of the same crap, but those who know socccer and how it should be played won't.

druid
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
[quote=druid;203431]

And do you really think that's what would happen here? Or would people say, "I told you so, Toronto is a city of fads and the fad wore off. Soccer will always fail inToronto."

I think that depends on how the support react. Protest outside the ground while a game is going on or when there is no game at all have been very effective at other clubs. Certainly a some staying away while others put up "In Carver We Trust" signs is the worst of both worlds.

UltraFootyKWC
09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
by not going to the game and watching it on TV, how is that not supporting your team?

Im sorry but if the team lacks quality day in day out, we as fans are allowed to display our displeasure....if that means not spending a day travelling and not emptying our wallets at the stadium then by golly im doing it...

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If you have season seats, and you leave them empy for a game strictly because of a poor run of form, that is most definately not supporting your team.

KdotOdot
09-29-2008, 10:41 AM
LOl WuGamino never ceases to amaze. fOr every intelligent comment he comes up with some sort of total Helmet Kid comment to prove why he is who he is.

Fort York Redcoat
09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Staying away is not showing support ever. Protesting outside or standing backs to the field is something but just not showing up is fairweather excuses. It's bullshit excuses like not putting up with bad product that sound idiotic when the same people wouldn't show to a Lynx or CSL game at a fraction of the cost.

STAY HOME watch your foreign football and bitch on hte interneets.

Like it or not the MLS is my league. Toronto is my team.

Barbarez
09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Staying away is not showing support ever. Protesting outside or standing backs to the field is something but just not showing up is fairweather excuses. It's bullshit excuses like not putting up with bad product that sound idiotic when the same people wouldn't show to a Lynx or CSL game at a fraction of the cost.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Roogsy
09-29-2008, 11:58 AM
[quote=druid;203431]

Bingo!

trane
09-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Giambac,

I agree that Wynne has speed and heart. He plays heart. But do you realy think, for example that an Italian team would sign him to play RB for them? I realy want to here you opinion, because from what I have seen he is not a sound defender tacticaly speaking. They may sign him to develop him, but to start? It is realy hard for me to see.

druid
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM

Last time I looked, no one was organizing a protest.

Myself, I've been to every home game except when I had to be elsewhere for my family. That works out to two missed games since the club started.

But I can very much understand how others with more kids or more complicated lives would make a choice not to show up considering the fare on show.

And the uber fan stance that some people have about always showing up and not criticizing the team is a little unrealistic.

Fort York Redcoat
09-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Myself, I've been to every home game except when I had to be elsewhere for my family. That works out to two missed games since the club started.

But I can very much understand how others with more kids or more complicated lives would make a choice not to show up considering the fare on show.

And the uber fan stance that some people have about always showing up and not criticizing the team is a little unrealistic.

And on the other hand unrealistic uber fans are waiting for seasons to become available once the redundant critsism turns into staying away from the games entirely. It's win/win. One side finally gets their seasons and the other can finally feel justified in giving them up. It's the slow death that's painful.

giambac
09-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Giambac,

I agree that Wynne has speed and heart. He plays heart. But do you realy think, for example that an Italian team would sign him to play RB for them? I realy want to here you opinion, because from what I have seen he is not a sound defender tacticaly speaking. They may sign him to develop him, but to start? It is realy hard for me to see.

Trane,

let's be realistic here.

I said Wynnne is the best palyer on TFC with his speed and hussle. I said he will be playing overseas in the next 2-3 years. In NO WAY did I imply in the Italian league. The Italians are masters at defence and they have by far the best defenders in the world so ther is no place for him in the Serie A. Just like there was no place for Edu.

However, in less prominent leagues like the Scottish league, leagues in Norway or even in England (Champions league) it is possible. The defenders in those league leave alot to be desired.

Dave67
09-29-2008, 02:33 PM
And on the other hand unrealistic uber fans are waiting for seasons to become available once the redundant critsism turns into staying away from the games entirely. It's win/win. One side finally gets their seasons and the other can finally feel justified in giving them up. It's the slow death that's painful.

Except the people who choose to stay away are likely not giving up their seasons. They are just choosing to stay away. I suspect that when Beckham bows out of this league you will see the big opportunties for the uber fans (oddly enough the people who never purchased tickets to begin with despite there being several months to do so) to get seasons. These uber fans will need to be 'uber' enough to buy in at the higher seat prices... I suspect.

Also, just out of curiousity, while I am sure there are thousands of people who jumped the bandwagon because Beckham joined the league what were the uber fans doing to not actually have seasons? I'm not trying to stir the pot here (maybe I am? I'm tired) , I just wonder how an uber Toronto FC fan did not end up with seasons? Is it all down to lack of finances? or were all these uber fans just waiting to see how the support would be? Or are they young enough that 2 years ago they would have been unable to purchase seasons (like they are 20 now and working but 2 years ago at 18 they were in school?) ... just asking.

TFC*FAN
09-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't think the "honeymoon" stage is over so to speak. I think people are fed up with lacklustre performances for a team that showed so much promise early on...

The empty seats have more to do with the weather me thinks...

And having to do with Carver, I was unable to attend the game on Saturday (and it had nothing to do with my lack of interest). Anyways, they showed Carver in the press box near the end of the first half and he looked like he was about to lose his mind. Literally looked like he was about to pull the hair right out of his head.

I'm not surprised if he let the team have it.

I think you'll see every seat full for the final game and it will most definitely carry over to next season.

CoachGT
09-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Except the people who choose to stay away are likely not giving up their seasons. They are just choosing to stay away. I suspect that when Beckham bows out of this league you will see the big opportunties for the uber fans (oddly enough the people who never purchased tickets to begin with despite there being several months to do so) to get seasons. These uber fans will need to be 'uber' enough to buy in at the higher seat prices... I suspect.

Also, just out of curiousity, while I am sure there are thousands of people who jumped the bandwagon because Beckham joined the league what were the uber fans doing to not actually have seasons? I'm not trying to stir the pot here (maybe I am? I'm tired) , I just wonder how an uber Toronto FC fan did not end up with seasons? Is it all down to lack of finances? or were all these uber fans just waiting to see how the support would be? Or are they young enough that 2 years ago they would have been unable to purchase seasons (like they are 20 now and working but 2 years ago at 18 they were in school?) ... just asking.

As I recall, when Beckham announced that he was jumping to MLS, there were 13,000 TFC seasons sold of a possible 14,000. I was one of the ones on the fence, not because of Beckham, but because I wasn't sure if this was going to be a going concern (having watched back in NASL days). I ened up buying half seasons, and this year got my full season seats (in the prawn sandwich section). Finances were not an issue.

My biggest regret after going to the first game last year was that I hadn't bought full season tickets. I run into many, many people who are true soccer fans who do not have tickets. These aren't the types that would be there just for Becks - they are true fans, many of them coaching or playing still, helping their children enjoy the game they love. Yes, Becks is an attraction, but these are people who would watch anyway.

I am frustrated with the level of play. I am disappointed with the results from this year - NCC and league play. But I am a supporter and will remain so, and have already re-upped for my tickets. I will not turn my back in the short term. Going through these rough patches will just make the future that much sweeter, when this team becomes a dynasty!

Red Patch CA
09-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Honeymoon may be over, perhaps, but you don't dump the bride after the honeymoon.

Renewed my seasons today. I'm hoping for many good years with TFC.:)

Roogsy
09-29-2008, 06:39 PM

Seriously....WHERE does this happen? Where? I keep seeing this claim and yet I have NO idea where it comes from?