PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday, Sept.28

denime
09-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Own goal and out
TFC's playoff dream likely over

A 1-1 draw against the Houston Dynamo at BMO Field yesterday has all but eliminated Toronto FC from Major League Soccer playoff contention for the second consecutive season.
To add insult to injury, it was an own goal off the noggin of TFC defender Hunter Freeman past goalkeeper Greg Sutton in the 23rd minute that drove the final nail into the post-season coffin.
The most unfortunate part of the result is that TFC played its best soccer in months in the second half of the game, out-chancing the two-time defending MLS champion by a wide margin.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/09/28/6908271-sun.html)

Toronto FC hold Houston to 1-1 draw
THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- Had Toronto FC played the Houston Dynamo to a 1-1 draw early in the season, Toronto head coach John Carver said he would have accepted the result against the defending-league champion with a smile, and looked forward to all the positives he could build on.

But this is the end of the season with his team's post-season hopes on the line, and wins are virtually all that matter now.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/09/27/tfc_dynamo/)

Wynne helps Toronto FC tie Houston
John F. Molinaro

Marvell Wynne picked an opportune time to score his first goal in Major League Soccer.
The Toronto FC defender found the back of the net with 17 minutes left in regulation time to help the Canadian club earn a 1-1 tie against the Houston Dynamo on a grey Saturday afternoon at BMO Field.
Despite Wynne's best efforts, things still look pretty bleak for Toronto.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/27/mls-houston-torontofc.html)

TFC its own worst enemy
LARRY MILSON

TORONTO — Toronto FC had not scored more than one goal in a game since its 12th match of the Major League Soccer season, a 3-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids on June 14 at BMO Field.
Saturday, TFC scored two goals before an announced BMO Field attendance of 20,074, but the result was a 1-1 draw with the Houston Dynamo.
The problem is that the first one was a first-half own goal by defender Hunter Freeman, whose header went over the head of goalkeeper Greg Sutton and bounced into the goal.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080927.wspt-torfc-dynamo-27/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Toronto FC playoff hopes quashed
Playoffs a long shot after own goal hands draw to Houston; De Rosario pans T.O. trade rumour

Morgan Campbell

Even as the team's winless streak wore on and Toronto FC drifted toward the bottom of the MLS standings, players and coaches shared a steadfast belief they'd make the playoffs.
At least they did until yesterday's 1-1 draw with the Houston Dynamo, when head coach John Carver acknowledged that his squad now had more modest goals. A team that once focused on a playoff spot now aims simply to finish as high in the standings as they can. And beyond that, Carver sounded the way former coach and current general manager Mo Johnston did this time last year, insisting that jobs are still at stake, even if the playoffs aren't.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/507710)

De Rosario dodges Toronto question
THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- A trip to Toronto wouldn't be complete for Dwayne De Rosario if he wasn't asked the obvious: Would he like to play here?

The Toronto native was in town Saturday as his Houston Dynamo played Toronto FC to a 1-1 draw. After the game, he was asked once again whether Toronto was in his playing plans, sparked in part by Toronto coach John Carver's admission he'd love to add the attacking midfielder to his roster.

Read more

http://i38.tinypic.com/9knvk7.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Broadview
09-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Wynne:

"Me shooting is lucky. If it's on target it's lucky. If it goes in, it's divine intervention."

That's funny. I like him even more than ever...

profit89
09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Look at Huckerby eh. Another two.

Angelo1405
09-28-2008, 11:31 AM
whats with San Jose. i thought they got in...wow. and Huckerby is really good...

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Look at Huckerby eh. Another two.

Beating San Jose next year is a must for me. If we don't, I will be devastated.

rocker
09-28-2008, 12:00 PM
anybody notice the goal scorers yesterday include three former and formerly potential TFC players: Eskandarian, Casey, Huckerby.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
09-28-2008, 12:11 PM
God that nyrb game looks insane anyone catch it?

mlsintoronto
09-28-2008, 02:44 PM
From Bill Lankhoff in the Sun. Also, Soccer has been upgraded from "other sports" to its own section in the Sun. Small victories! :canada:

Jim Kowba went to see Toronto FC play yesterday and did not feel like Public Enemy No. 1. He was decked out in a Houston Dynamo team jersey. Scary stuff.
Just two weeks ago Columbus Crew fans claimed they were roughed up at BMO Field and had a team scarf ripped off.
"I haven't seen any fights -- but I've seen singing," said Dave Menegotto of Guelph.
The crowd this day included a guy wearing a helmet with a soccer ball screwed on tight. Not sure about his head. But it wasn't intimidating.
Season-ticket holder Andy Cummins was at the Columbus game. "I sit in the section next to (visiting fans) and we were yelling at each other but it wasn't mean-spirited or anything." While Toronto's major crime unit -- we presume -- has yet to bring in Sherlock about the scarf caper, there was enough upset about the incident -- and the more dangerous and distasteful throwing of beer and water bottles -- that yesterday there were a dozen of Toronto's finest in the south stands to watch the boisterous Red Patch Boys.
"Most of us are here for the game, have a few drinks, sing some chants. It's about singing for the boys. Just fun," Mike Alonzi of Vaughan said while cooking up burgers with his buddy Nick Mitsiou in the parking lot. As Red Patch Boys, they were just an apron short of looking about as threatening as Martha Stewart.
Most fans agree the incident with Columbus shouldn't have happened. "I could see where things might get out of control," Kowba said of the atmosphere. A Rochester native, who has a nephew with the Houston management, Kowba was unaware of the previous incident. Standing with a dozen Dynamo fans post-game, he said: "One time we were clapping. You could tell our response wasn't very popular. We got booed. But it was all in good fun."
Similar incidents break out at almost every Bills or Steelers game. Every weekend. The incident didn't keep Jason Donille from bringing his family to BMO Field for the first time yesterday. "The hooliganism perhaps comes with the sport. It's global but in North America it is relatively muted ... It shouldn't keep a family from coming out. I'm not sitting here in fear. It's not intimidating us."
Yesterday, kids played on inflated pitches outside the stadium. Inside, the Red Patch Boys chant: "When the Reds go marching in, I want to be in that number!"
"We're in the boring section," laughs Kiersten Kerr, who has season tickets to several Toronto teams. "(TFC) is the best, the most fun, the rowdiest. Besides, when we get beers, I get carded here every time. I love that -- I'm 33."
As for throwing those beers (etc.), Mitsiou says even most Red Patch Boys don't like it.
"The only thing I have trouble with is people throwing stuff. The streamers, okay, that's become kind of a Toronto thing and it doesn't harm anyone," Alonzi said.
There's a steel drum banging. "They don't have to pump in music," Cummins says, "the crowd provides it all." There are horns. And some of the chants have naughty words. Marlon Canaes sits next to the Red Patch Boys section. "I've never experienced anything inappropriate."
'PEOPLE'S TEAM'
And then, in front of those raucous boys, someone pulls out a sign asking "Lindsey" to marry him. "She said, Yes!" chant the Red Patch Boys. "She said, Yes!"
Sweet. Cue the high-fives.
"There's nothing else like it in T.O." Alonzi said. "The Jays are low-key, the Argos are in a big stadium and don't fill it and the Leafs, crowds are very corporate. This is the people's team."

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Yes!

Now please speak to BMO Field about not treating "the people" like criminals.

Here is the link for the article MLSinToronto points to...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Lankhof/2008/09/28/6910426-sun.html

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 02:50 PM
There were guys walking beside me in the GO Train tunnel with Houston jerseys on...nobody gave them any grief at all.

The Columbus issue was clearly due to people making stupid decisions.

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Red Patch Boys haters are dying inside right now. :rofl:

Toronto Ruffrider
09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Good article by Bill Lankhof. Finally some sanity from the print media!

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
There was actually a good article today in the Sun, I was shocked... Today the security presence was a lot better, nothing got tossed on the field from what I could see.

bee dubya
09-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm glad to see the article by Mr. Lankoff but I have to wonder how much influence the TFC FO had making sure that was written. I hope they didn't have to influence anyone to write the truth but we all know that things like "hooliganism" make for better stories than the article mlsintoronto posted...

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Why would it matter if TFC FO stepped up and asked the Sun to correct the misinformation out there? Would it not be responsible of them to do so had they actually done that(who knows if they did)?

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-28-2008, 08:03 PM
We have freedom of the press in this country, nobody has any influence over what gets printed in the paper. Maybe they complained (they can join the club...) about all the negative articles being printed about us and the Sun decided to send someone to find out the real story.

flatpicker
09-28-2008, 08:04 PM
That was one of the best minutes I have ever spent reading an article about TFC!
I think I might have to read it again to make sure I didn't dream up the whole thing!
It was fun, positive, and promoted the good-natured atmosphere that supporters bring.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

And from the Sun!!!!

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah we are all pretty shocked.

Parkdale
09-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I grabbed a copy of the sun on Sunday, as I usually buy all the newspapers I can on the day after a match. I've gotta say.... I was very please with that article. The 'one apron away from martha stewart' joke was pretty spot-on.