PDA

View Full Version : Oct 18: BMO Farewell for Dichio and Wynne?

ensco
09-27-2008, 06:16 PM
It seemed obvious today that (i) much as we love the guy, DD isn't the same post-injury, and (ii) the sale of Marvell is a certainty - that goal is just the punctuation mark.

Even though we suck, it gives us something to really focus on for our last home game.

The heart and soul of the team would be gone.

Keyman
09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I really don't think Marv will go, he has too many weak points in his game. It would take a very narrow minded European team to take him from us. He still needs to develop quite a bit. Today's strike was absolutely wonderful though.

Lucky Strike
09-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I sincerely hope you're wrong on those, they're valuable players.

Dichio I could understand if he retired, he is 33 and getting up there and has had some injuries with TFC but I hope he stays on one more year, to see the club into the next phase Mo has promised (without getting into the "fire Mo" or "keep Mo" thing). Truth be told, he is our leading scorer and scores one goal every 2.3 or 2.4 games (when I calculated last a few weeks ago). This was done by the way (before anyone pipes up and claims that's not true) by using minutes played, rather than appearances.

People keep saying Marvell Wynne will be gone by the January European transfer window but I'm still not convinced it's a certainty. I'm certainly open to being wrong (as I'm openly admitting making this argument on instinct) but I hope I'm not; Wynne is very important to the team.

dag
09-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I really hope Wynne stays with the club. I love the guy - he's excitement on the pitch personified. He has a huge heart, plays with passion and dedication, and displays vision. Do whatever it takes to keep him.

tfc
09-27-2008, 06:33 PM
regarding Dichio: watching the half time faces of tfc, they mentioned that while he is getting old, his time playing with tfc is not over ... i know you can't take that with 100% certainty, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him back for another season

greatwhitenorf
09-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Wynne's my favorite player. Absolute thrill seeing him score today. Right in front of me, too.

tfc
09-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Wynne's my favorite player. Absolute thrill seeing him score today. Right in front of me, too.

cracking goal, great to see him score!

rocker
09-27-2008, 06:37 PM
i hope dichio stays around, even if it's a back of the roster guy... a backup in case our DP Striker :) is hurt or something.

Bobo
09-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Wynne won't cut it in many European leagues. He was lucky Onstad was in net today. I think we'll see him back next year, he'd be hurting himself as much as us if he didn't.

I think the post concussion argument is a bit dramatic. Today is not the first, second or third time he's played poorly. He may choose to retire yes, but I don't think he will do it looking at a few games.

FluSH
09-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I really don't think Marv will go, he has too many weak points in his game. It would take a very narrow minded European team to take him from us. He still needs to develop quite a bit. Today's strike was absolutely wonderful though.

I agree... but if Villa wants to pay $2-$3Million well in that case GL Wynne!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree that Dichios prob done. Terrible game for him today. I do want him to stay with the team tho as a coach etc. As for Wynne, hes not leaving yet. He had a stormer of a game today but i dont think hes leaving quite yet. Dont think hes got the caps to play EPL yet and i dont see him going anywhere else that would be worth while (dont see spain knocking at his door). Id say one more year and i can see him being sold but hes still not stable enough yet.

Dirk Diggler
09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I really don't know about Wynne. I thought Edu was shit even for MLS yet lo and behold Rangers barge in and offer us ridiculous money for his "services". If the MLS and our front office hype him up enough, some sucker in Europe will buy him, no doubt.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Edu was great in his first season and not so hot his second but he was far from shit. It does help that hes young with alot of potential and the US is singing his praises from near and far. Wynne has been getting progressively better but i just dont see it yet. But you are right im sure if MLSE wanted they could prob sell him off to someone.

Blizzard
09-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I agree that Dichios prob done. Terrible game for him today. I do want him to stay with the team tho as a coach etc. As for Wynne, hes not leaving yet. He had a stormer of a game today but i dont think hes leaving quite yet. Dont think hes got the caps to play EPL yet and i dont see him going anywhere else that would be worth while (dont see spain knocking at his door). Id say one more year and i can see him being sold but hes still not stable enough yet.

Sorry you evidently didn't actually watch the game today. :confused:

The general consensus among the supporters I was with was that Dichio played quite well today.

His great short left-outside of the foot, pass to Ricketts that led to the Amado free kick that went just over the bar was a small but evident illustration of the type of touch that he provides that absolutely nobody else on the team seems to be able to provide. I was very sorry to see him coming off after an hour as in the past when he's been subbed out, we lose shape. Today, fortunately, that didn't happen and Marvel was able to score his goal.

Dichio does a lot of little things that are, unfortunately, unique to him on this club. Hesitations, holds, flicks and knockdowns are what he excels at. He is the target and set-up man and his return to the starting line-up was, as far as I'm concerned, the reason that we had half a dozen dangerous attacks in that first half.

We didn't put any of them in but the opportunities were there.

stretchthetruth
09-27-2008, 08:10 PM

The general consensus among the supporters I was with was that Dichio played quite well today.

His great short left-outside of the foot, pass to Ricketts that led to the Amado free kick that went just over the bar was a small but evident illustration of the type of touch that he provides that absolutely nobody else on the team seems to be able to provide. I was very sorry to see him coming off after an hour as in the past when he's been subbed out, we lose shape. Today, fortunately, that didn't happen and Marvel was able to score his goal.

Dichio does a lot of little things that are, unfortunately, unique to him on this club. Hesitations, holds, flicks and knockdowns are what he excels at. He is the target and set-up man and his return to the starting line-up was, as far as I'm concerned, the reason that we had half a dozen dangerous attacks in that first half.

i also thought dichio played well today. he filled his role nicely - he isnt a one man show, and without production from the 'scoring' players, his services are somtimes under appreciated IMHO

Blizzard
09-27-2008, 08:15 PM
i also thought dichio played well today. he filled his role nicely - he isnt a one man show, and without production from the 'scoring' players, his services are somtimes under appreciated IMHO

Another fine play from Dichio was on that first half free kick from the right wing. The ball was sent straight to him, he headed back very nicely to Amado who put another quite strong shot just over the bar.

Can't people see these things? I'm boggled by this.

B

FluSH
09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Another fine play from Dichio was on that first half free kick from the right wing. The ball was sent straight to him, he headed back very nicely to Amado who put another quite strong shot just over the bar.

Can't people see these things? I'm boggled by this.

B

I saw this one as well... it wasn't a header though, it was a nice tap to Amado... great play by Danny D nonetheless

Blizzard
09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I saw this one as well... it wasn't a header though, it was a nice tap to Amado... great play by Danny D nonetheless

Wasn't it? Ah well, my angle I guess. Either way, really nice and we miss that when he's out. He's a smart player fully realizes his mobility issues so he takes advantage of his touch and intelligence. He certainly is never going to beat anybody on the run apart from perhaps JC.

stretchthetruth
09-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Wasn't it? Ah well, my angle I guess. Either way, really nice and we miss that when he's out. He's a smart player fully realizes his mobility issues so he takes advantage of his touch and intelligence. He certainly is never going to beat anybody on the run apart from perhaps JC.

i hear people around me saying 'oh here comes another dichio pass-back...' uhhh yeah, its called holding the ball up, and creating time and space for the team to move up - which they dont do very well anyway. i'm not sure what people think he's supposed to be doing out there, but a lot of people seem to miss that he's controlling the field when he does this, and maintains possession of the ball well.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-27-2008, 08:41 PM
as much as i have critized Dichio this year, he is a team leader, your right he was not the same after the injury, keep him within the team, public relations, youth ream asst coach etc.

Blizzard
09-27-2008, 08:44 PM
as much as i have critized Dichio this year, he is a team leader, your right he was not the same after the injury, keep him within the team, public relations, youth ream asst coach etc.

Keep in mind that this was his first start since the injury I do believe.

Jack
09-27-2008, 08:47 PM
I thought Dichio was good at what he does today, but damn is he ever slow!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Oh i watched the game:confused: and the consensus in my area was the opposite, he was slow, wasnt making runs for the ball and his passing was off. I love Dichio but imo (and the people i talked to around me in 117) it was far from his best game. He always brings alot to the field but it felt like he was just going through the motions.

Jack
09-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I definitely think his timing and stuff was not at it's usual effort today. He's nowhere near 100%

Concussions can really wreak havoc with a person's physical state for a long time.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I definitely think his timing and stuff was not at it's usual effort today. He's nowhere near 100%

Concussions can really wreak havoc with a person's physical state for a long time.

an absolute possibility, as someone else pointed out its his first start in ages, so im sure thats a factor as well

bhoybobby
09-27-2008, 09:11 PM
D.D. clearly isn't match fit, I think the injury?lay-off has hampered this wonderful player, I wouldn't bin him yet.

Marvell, has speed & little else, he over commits, & over runs, a winger just has to put the breaks on & Wynne's lack of football I.Q causes him to get caught out & shove. His 1st touch is one of the worst I've seen in a professional footballer. Nice goal today, but generally a very over rated player.
I wouldn't be sad to see him go, especially for Edu money.

Now if someone can manage to find a buyer for the most over rated self promoter TFC has had, RICKETTS, I'll be ecstatic. What a self indulgent pantload he is, GHTF

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Agree with most of what you said cept Ricketts, dont understand your dislike of him (not sure whether its based on his personality, playing or both). Kinda wish you could sorta draw me a diagram (im not taking the piss here) cuz i dont think a simple example would be enough, you know? Granted im a fan, not a super fan but i do think hes an important player on our team... Dont think hes boiling over with talent but i do think he does his job well and is a regular threat (also he gives it his all, every game)

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 09:16 PM
PS for the record i dont think Dichio should be binned, i just think it wont be a surprise if he hangs up his boots sooner rather than later... Especially at his age with injuries taking him out for 6-8 games a season...

bhoybobby
09-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Agree with most of what you said cept Ricketts, dont understand your dislike of him (not sure whether its based on his personality, playing or both). Kinda wish you could sorta draw me a diagram (im not taking the piss here) cuz i dont think a simple example would be enough, you know? Granted im a fan, not a super fan but i do think hes an important player on our team... Dont think hes boiling over with talent but i do think he does his job well and is a regular threat (also he gives it his all, every game)

I don't doubt he gives his all. I've watched him closely since he's arrived, he flatters to decieve. He has nice quick feet, but no hint of a brain to go with his skill.

He almost never goes outside, always goes inside, overplays the ball, very inconsistent crosser. I just think he's over rated & a bit of a hype artist. Just my opinion.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't doubt he gives his all. I've watched him closely since he's arrived, he flatters to decieve. He has nice quick feet, but no hint of a brain to go with his skill.

He almost never goes outside, always goes inside, overplays the ball, very inconsistent crosser. I just think he's over rated & a bit of a hype artist. Just my opinion.

Fair enough, i can understand some of what youre saying.
(also i did catch that you said this in the other thread, HA), thanks.

deeznutz
09-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Marvell is not going anywhere anytime soon.....maybe 2-3 years from now yes.....

Axeman
09-27-2008, 11:07 PM
I hope Marvell does'nt go anywhere. His speed is uncanny! I know his not the most technical player but damn can he run and half the time he makes up for mistakes with his speed. Keep him, a long time hopefully. Solid at RB or RWB.

Nuvinho
09-27-2008, 11:40 PM
IF, keyword is IF we can get 3 solid CBs. I wouldn't mind seeing the formation we had today.

------New CB----------New CB--------New CB
----------------Guevara---Robinson----------
Wynne------------------------------Brennan
------------------Ricketts-------------------
-------------DP---------Barrett/Dichio-------

Ossington Mental Youth
09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Playing Guevara too defensively in that formation

BigLou
09-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Sounds kinda like Mo Edu

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-28-2008, 12:53 AM
When Dichio retires should TFC hold a testimonial match for him?

Toronto_Bhoy
09-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Without his speed Wynne quickly becomes a very, very average player…constantly caught out of position he can make it up with his speed.

Not to mention he only has one foot and is an nightmare with the ball at his feet. But I'll give him props for that goal today…left footer at that…

I'm with Bobby on Rohan…he has done little to impress me…

nfitz
09-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Keep in mind that this was his first start since the injury I do believe.No, he started 3 weeks ago in the home game agaist Chivas.

DOMIN8R
09-28-2008, 06:00 AM

I agree. But I said the same thing about Mo Edu. :o

nascarguy
09-28-2008, 08:07 AM
I agree... but if Villa wants to pay $2-$3Million well in that case GL Wynne!
I say let the dumd European take him then

ensco
09-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Since a lot of people on here seem oblivious to the obvious, here you go....Marvell is worth a couple of million dollars on the Euro market. His value is determined by his occasional USMNT status - it has zip to do with TFC, except to the extent that he can show things outside his expected duties, like yesterday's goal.

(Edu has lots of holes in his game too. Doesn't matter - it's about how the futures market for players works. If an Edu or Wynne can make the USMNT, one of the top 20 clubs in the world, he could - could, not would - be worth millions some day. Teams pay for the Edus and Wynnes of the world as part of a broader strategy of buying players to sell a few of them to big clubs later. It works because the transfers paid by the big clubs are so enormous, even though the majority of these players never move up.)

As for DD, I'm not sure whether he's done or not....the injury is a big unknown, a lot has to do with his age......

We're a losing side - there will be many changes. A late sub role could make sense for DD on a winning team. Here, that job should go to Ibbe or another developing player. The only real reasons for us to keep DD would be sentimental, which may be important given how badly things are going around here.

My point isn't about what should happen, more about the realities of what's likely to happen.

Shakes McQueen
09-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Some European club would be glad to buy Wynne's raw physical talents, like his speed, and mold him through their system into a more complete player.

If the price paid is high enough, I say cut him loose. We could sign a really good backline with the allocation cash from Edu and Wynne alone.

But if the offer is only 1-2 million, I say hang on to him. Continue benefiting from his talents, and make him a better player, in order to get more money for him down the road. It's pretty much inevitable that he will leave at some point.

- Scott

ensco
09-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Some European club would be glad to buy Wynne's raw physical talents, like his speed, and mold him through their system into a more complete player.

If the price paid is high enough, I say cut him loose. We could sign a really good backline with the allocation cash from Edu and Wynne alone.

But if the offer is only 1-2 million, I say hang on to him. Continue benefiting from his talents, and make him a better player, in order to get more money for him down the road. It's pretty much inevitable that he will leave at some point.

- Scott

I think this is close to the reality of the situation. imho, at $2 million he's gone, at $1.5 million he stays.

Keyman
09-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree. But I said the same thing about Mo Edu. :o
I thought the exact same thing as I was typing haha
I was a huge critic of Edu, however I think his accolades played a major role in his departure. I highly doubt that they send scouts out to multiple TFC games.

Roogsy
09-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I would not let Wynne go for anything less than 3mill.

2mill is too low.

Blizzard
09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
No, he started 3 weeks ago in the home game agaist Chivas.

I stand corrected.

B

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Why threads like this even get acknowledged, I don't know...

ensco
09-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Why threads like this even get acknowledged, I don't know...

I feel the same way about your post :rolleyes:

ricciboy
09-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I thought Dichio was good at what he does today, but damn is he ever slow!

i heard his leg ihurts

Oldtimer
09-29-2008, 07:39 AM
DD motivates the team They play a lot better with him on the pitch. It has less to do with his goal-scoring ability (which, while real, is limited) as much as his heart.

Shakes McQueen
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I would not let Wynne go for anything less than 3mill.

2mill is too low.

Exactly. If Edu can fetch five million dollars from a SPL club, surely Wynne can get more than two million somewhere in Europe.

Especially because he has a standout talent, in his speed.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
09-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Any player that can move up to another league at a profit to the club, should. For himself and for the league. I don't want a whole bunch of DeRo's that shine in this league and get paid peanuts in obscurity by comparison.

My concern isn't selling players but what is done with the $$$ coming to the club. We only get 1 DP so what would Wynne $$$ go to? My reservations lie with the ability to get players to fill the roster in a timely fashion. (Like before the next season starts, please.)

nascarguy
09-29-2008, 08:12 AM
It seemed obvious today that (i) much as we love the guy, DD isn't the same post-injury, and (ii) the sale of Marvell is a certainty - that goal is just the punctuation mark.

Even though we suck, it gives us something to really focus on for our last home game.

both of them are not going any where marvell still have about 1 or 2 season left as for dd he will not be a start next year but we will have to see in the pre-season . edu did not play with his heart this year and if the ranger are that dumd to pay 5m for him. Mo would be just as bumb not to say yes.

tylerdangelo
09-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Dichio, as an experienced player, provides a lot more than just talent on the field. Yes, when he is on his game, he is extremely talented and can light it up. But having someone with his experience on the pitch provides leadership, which can be a lot more valuable than a goal every 2.4 games or whatever was stated before.
-I think he stays at least one more year (barring any more injury problems-knock on wood)

As for Marvell Wynne. He is Phenomenal. I would hate to see him go. No matter what the score is or who we are playing, he always hustles. He is the only player on the team that i've seen give 100% effort every time he is on the pitch. HOWEVER, if he can fetch 2.5 or 3 million from a european team, i think that the money would do a lot more good for the team in the future.

Blazer
09-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Danny’s no longer a weapon on this team.

Wynne will go provided someone feels he can be tailored into something he’s not right now. Great wheels, defensive specialist, but can’t see the field in front of him and has no offensive awareness. The goal he scored caught Onstad out of position because Wynne rarely shoots. Goalies have taken note and will not trust the scouting report on Wynne any longer.

LucaGol
09-29-2008, 12:23 PM
If Marvell Wynne ever learns how to whip in a dangerous ball from the right and improves his first touch ... he can probably go on to play in any league in the world ... in spite of his positional shortcomings ... or apparent positional shortcomings.

Zidane10
09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I hope we don't see Dichio go; he is slow but I think he has a good head for the game and good ball control. He does need to work on his fitness, though. Marvell Wynne is fantastic; we need to hold on to him and develop him as much as we can with our resources. We don't want to pull another Mo Edu and just get cash for a player that could really help our team in the long run, especially since we can only use a fraction of $3 million or whatever to get good players. I don't think that selling him will improve the team significantly, and I think that it would hurt our already weak chemistry to let him go.

bhoybobby
09-29-2008, 03:59 PM
If Marvell Wynne ever learns how to whip in a dangerous ball from the right and improves his first touch ... he can probably go on to play in any league in the world ... in spite of his positional shortcomings ... or apparent positional shortcomings.

If he doesn't have a 1st touch by now he never will, he's speed & that's it. Not a footballer at all.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
If he doesn't have a 1st touch by now he never will, he's speed & that's it. Not a footballer at all.

normally id agree with you but its the MLS and players are developed in a different manner over here and its not unusual for players to develop a little bit later here

ensco
10-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Veteran striker admits he might not play next year; 'I've got to think about my health'

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/518937

TFC Cityboy
10-17-2008, 07:17 AM
The Dich is the heart and soul of this club. I'd be gutted if he hung uo his boots.
Extra loud 24th minute is called for tomorrow.

BuSaPuNk
10-17-2008, 07:20 AM
The Dich is the heart and soul of this club. I'd be gutted if he hung uo his boots.
Extra loud 24th minute is called for tomorrow.

I hear that!! Dichio personifys our feelings towards this club. I want the ground to shake at the 24th minute!! :hump:

Oldtimer
10-17-2008, 07:46 AM
IF, keyword is IF we can get 3 solid CBs. I wouldn't mind seeing the formation we had today.

------New CB----------New CB--------New CB
----------------Guevara---Robinson----------
Wynne------------------------------Brennan
------------------Ricketts-------------------
-------------DP---------Barrett/Dichio-------

I would keep Harmse as a CB. He isn't great as a MF, but as a CB he's solid.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I know this is posted in the News Section.....but its just to important of a topic not to be in here!:noidea:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/17/7114311-sun.html

Iam stunned of the just the thought of DD..not returning to TFC...just STUNNED!!

And the sad part is....if it is indeed his last game ever at BMO FEILD!!! are we prepared for a PROPER SEND OFF....for the man WHO BUILT BMO FEILD!??

I cant think of the big man not being with us next season!:(

Ossington Mental Youth
10-17-2008, 08:55 AM
hate to say it but, i told ya so.
we love ya danny

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-17-2008, 08:57 AM
GUess the topic is already being discussed...sorry! ;)

please merge!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Danny Dichio 23:13 Hated Adored Never Ignored!!

Never To Be Forgotten!!!

THE MAN WHO BUILT BMO FEILD!!!

I Cant Believe This Might Happen!!

KdotOdot
10-17-2008, 09:30 AM
I might just cry this Saturday.

And the first person that laughs at me will get the beating of their life.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Im right there with you.....

seriously!

NOBODY leaves the stadium after the game!!!!....WE sing DICHIO till we drop!

Jack
10-17-2008, 09:33 AM

http://msp262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/Tipeur/Convention%20Ankama/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

stretchthetruth
10-17-2008, 09:40 AM
i'm clinging to the hope that Dichio was pretty non-committal in the article - as for feedback from coaches, they'll want him here, the team isnt the same without him. I'll be hanging around BMO well after the whistle... If DD takes a lap, i'm going to be very upset.

trane
10-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I realy hope that it is not Dichio's last game. Fuck, it will not be the same without him. He is the heart and soul of the team.

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Guys...this Dichio question is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The thought of Danny playing for another team in MLS CANNOT HAPPEN!

I realize there are issues out of our control. His health being first and foremost. Also, we can't do anything about the grass issue, which seems to have affected even Danny.

But we can show him and the team what he means to us.

I ran this past some people in the banner help thread and I hope I get some feedback from you guys. But how about near the end of the game...regardless of the results on the pitch, regardless if Danny is playing...regardless of ANYTHING...we sing the Dichio 24 song over and over for a good 15 minutes? That is long enough for the WHOLE stadium to get involved (and hopefuly in synch) and it can be a proper either a) send off to probably the most historic player in TFC's short history so far or b) an influential factor in getting Danny Dichio back on the roster next season.

I hope I get good feedback on this idea. Dichio's importance on this team I think has been proven the past few weeks, so much so that even the Dichio haters have had to quiet down. The man single-handedly gave us the most inspirational moment in TFC history. The man plays with heart. I would be devastated if we didn't give back to the man who has given us so much these difficult couple of expansion years.

Your thoughts please.

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 09:52 AM
FYI...I probably won't be in 112 tomorrow as I don't have tickets in there. So I won't be able to help get it started as 118 isn't exactly known for getting things going. I think they are good at joining along, but we need the heart and soul of the supporters sections (111 - 114) to get this going if it's going to have legs. If someone could ask the other supporters groups what they think of this idea, it would be great.

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Bumpity...I am keeping this topic in the top 10 all friggin' day.

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I promised it and I am following through. Got a problem? Search out the big brown guy at the march tomorrow.

Jack
10-17-2008, 10:19 AM
This is a great idea.

It's also a positive way to end off the season and one of the few things worth singing about this year.

IF there's any truth to this.

stretchthetruth
10-17-2008, 10:22 AM
i'm in - we'll get 110 going for sure... and since it was in the paper today most people around the stadium should know about it (DD's situation)... like i said, if he comes out for a lap, its going to be tough to take...

Kevvv
10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Guys...this Dichio question is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The thought of Danny playing for another team in MLS CANNOT HAPPEN!

I don't think there's any question of him going to another team, just a question of what he actually does next year:

"I've thought about it a lot," he said. "This is something that is an emotional kind of feeling for me. I'll have a good long sit down at the end of the season and if I figure I can't give everything to the team whether it be as a squad player or in some other capacity then I'll move on to the next stage of my life."

One thing that Dichio is sure of is that Toronto now is his home and he has no intention of moving his family from the roots it has established here.

"I like to call (Toronto) my home now," Dichio said. "I have no plans to go back to England unless, of course, Canada kicks me out."

So it would seem a choice between being a regular starter, a sub, or some sort of other role (coaching or whatever). Concussions are serious business, he might be weighing the risk of another one versus his love of the game, and what he realistically thinks he can contribute. I'm sure we'll see him again next year, I just hope it's in our new kit, not in a suit & tie next to Paul or Moe.

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Coming back as a coach...I'd be satisfied at that.

However, the issue also seems to be the turf, which will be a consideration for him. So if he doesn't get a sweet enough offer from TFC and a team with grass comes along, can anyone blame him if he chooses a more forgiving atmosphere to play out his career? It may be unlikely, but I don't think we can completely discount it.

OneLoveOneEric
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not too worried about this yet. It's a funny time of year when talk like this always comes up. I'll get crucified for suggesting this, but I'm hoping that it's agent-instructed pre-contract talk from the big man. Certainly wouldn't be the first to try it....

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

Bump

BuSaPuNk
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm so up for this.....DD personifies this team and its supporters. I will lend my voice for 90 mins if we have too.

kelzag
10-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm getting choked up just thinking about the possibility of DD not suiting up again for us. I'm all for showing him our appreciation tomorrow.
On a side note, it's also his b-day on Sunday. Who wants to jump out of a cake? :D

Canadian Blue
10-17-2008, 12:33 PM

I am not sure where you get you "obvious assumptions" from but I really see no way that either player will leave. Dichio defo has at least one more season and Wynne is too poor of a defender to make it in europe and his ball control is to brutal to make it as a midfield player.

Yohan
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
We'll see what danny's health is like at the beginning of next season, when he has all the off season to recover. Hope it's too premature to call a retirement, because Danny still has something to give on the field for TFC

Hitcho
10-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Roogsy - I'm in 118, row 14 and I am super pumped about doing the Dichio song loud and long for a good 15 minutes tomorrow. What you need to do is get TRN on the case - there's no way they'll keep quiet for 15 minutes, but if we get them on board they can act as a time keeper for everyone in the sections around them.

LET'S HEAR IT FOR DANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitcho
10-17-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm getting choked up just thinking about the possibility of DD not suiting up again for us. I'm all for showing him our appreciation tomorrow.
On a side note, it's also his b-day on Sunday. Who wants to jump out of a cake? :D

In that case i think we need a loud rendition of Happy Birthday Mr Furious at some point tomorrow!!! :):)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
I am not sure where you get you "obvious assumptions" from but I really see no way that either player will leave. Dichio defo has at least one more season and Wynne is too poor of a defender to make it in europe and his ball control is to brutal to make it as a midfield player.

if you talking Top flight european leagues...i agree....

BUt Championship...Spl....ect..ect.... I'll say he's atta here...

he has the potential...some teams might make him a project..he has alot of upside!

Roogsy
Roogsy - I'm in 118, row 14 and I am super pumped about doing the Dichio song loud and long for a good 15 minutes tomorrow. What you need to do is get TRN on the case - there's no way they'll keep quiet for 15 minutes, but if we get them on board they can act as a time keeper for everyone in the sections around them.

LET'S HEAR IT FOR DANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed...I will talk to them before the game.

http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/images/smilies/bump.gif

olegunnar
10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I think he should retire at the end of the season and take a job on the coaching staff.....

Then after the expansion draft he should un-retire

That way we can "protect" 12 instead of 11

Blizzard
10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Veteran striker admits he might not play next year; 'I've got to think about my health'

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/518937

Video version on TFC-TV:
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=295 (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=295)

TFC Via Buffalo
10-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I say we invade the pitch, circle around him, and chant for 15 straight mins. Show the big lug we care about him just as much as he cares about TFC.

Hitcho
10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Indeed...I will talk to them before the game.

http://www.gokarters.com/vbforum/images/smilies/bump.gif

Sweet. Where you going to be sitting tomorrow? Any DD songs I catch wind of I will join in and sing my guts out. From my experience in 118, they just need a leader. If someone sings it loud then people start to join in, but they're a bit sheepish absent that. last game of the season migth inspire them though.

Hitcho
10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't think Wynne is going anywhere by the way. He'd be a massive liability in the Premiership or any other similar level league. You just can't dick around with defensive positions at that level. Edu going forward is one thing, Wynne leaving gaping holes at the back is another. And there's no way he'd get in as a midfielder.

Which is good for us, because we really need to keep players like Wynne to become a top level MLS team - young and top notch in the MLS pond.

Hitcho
10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
BUMP

For anyone who hasn't heard yet - the plan is to sing the Dichio song for aboot 15 mins tomorrow, to show him how much we want him back next season...

Jack
10-17-2008, 01:44 PM
BUMP

For anyone who hasn't heard yet - the plan is to sing the Dichio song for aboot 15 mins tomorrow, to show him how much we want him back next season...

At the end of the match, it should be pointed out.:D

Roogsy
10-17-2008, 02:00 PM
So what are we thinking? The game will likely be decided by the 86th minute...so how about then? It leaves us a good 5 minutes to sing, plus injury time and any time DD wants to acknowledge the fans.

And even if it's not decided...the whole stadium singing a song about our own should get the team going if it needs a result.

Any suggestions? I am putting the 85:01 on the table.

Oldtimer
10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I say we invade the pitch, circle around him, and chant for 15 straight mins. Show the big lug we care about him just as much as he cares about TFC.

NO pitch invasion. We haven't won anything.

ensco
10-17-2008, 02:15 PM

I would clarify my comment about DD. He clearly has the talent, but, as he himself said, maybe it's just time given his injury history and the turf.

Re Marvell, we'll agree to disagree.

tfcmanu
10-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Let's sing Please Don't go - by Double you for Danny Dichio

Please Don't go
Don't gohhhh....Don't go away
I miss you so
Danny Dichio

change the words but the jingle pretty catchy.

someone help...any Ideas.

http://www.hmv.ca/hmvcaweb/en_CA/displayProductDetails.do?sku=1041075

last song on cd.

ensco
10-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Let's sing Please Don't go - by Double you for Danny Dichio

Please Don't go
Don't gohhhh....Don't go away
I miss you so
Danny Dichio

change the words but the jingle pretty catchy.

someone help...any Ideas.

http://www.hmv.ca/hmvcaweb/en_CA/displayProductDetails.do?sku=1041075

last song on cd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAnkrPgTvY

Jack
10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Just sing his song. Over and over and over and over. He has two songs even.

tfcmanu
10-17-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAnkrPgTvY

Thanks I don't have access to you tube here at work.

TFC Via Buffalo
10-17-2008, 03:05 PM

He's won.........................our hearts. :p

Jack
10-17-2008, 03:07 PM
No pitch invasion.

You'll get arrested. There's a reserve game scheduled right after the game.

TFC Via Buffalo
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
No pitch invasion.

You'll get arrested. There's a reserve game scheduled right after the game.

Oh, I know. I'm just being an ass. I'm looking forward to that reserve game. I love the proximity to the field and the ability to call someone a cunt from half way across the stadium and they still hear you.

Jack
10-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, I know. I'm just being an ass. I'm looking forward to that reserve game. I love the proximity to the field and the ability to call someone a cunt from half way across the stadium and they still hear you.
LOL awesome!

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-17-2008, 03:43 PM

beside theres the reserve game after ..no delaying that..

Hitcho
10-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Ah crap. I was looking forward to a good pitch invasion like last year - everyone just hanging out and singing. It would have been a good annual tradition, at least until we get grass.

I tell you what, I'm so glad I was at all the key games and moments last season. It was magical stuff and that kind of innocent stupidity by the club (seat cushions, total lack of stewards, etc) will never be repeated, so those events were probably genuine one-offs (even the streamers at their peak).

stretchthetruth
10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
So what are we thinking? The game will likely be decided by the 86th minute...so how about then? It leaves us a good 5 minutes to sing, plus injury time and any time DD wants to acknowledge the fans.

And even if it's not decided...the whole stadium singing a song about our own should get the team going if it needs a result.

Any suggestions? I am putting the 85:01 on the table.

i definitely agree that starting the chant with about 5 mins left would have the greatest impact...

i honestly think he'll be back next year - for the simple reason that he wants to win something with the club - be it the Canada Cup, or a playoff berth - something. I also think that after tomorrow's match he'll know he still has it in him, and won't hang up his boots just yet.

DoubleUp
10-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Wynn needs more time and development, means more to Tfc than any real club in europe. Let the kid mature!

Inswingingwingman
10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Danny clearly said he's not going back to England unless they kick him out......\

I heard in his words

a) he want's to play

b) or be involved in Soccer in Canada as a non-player.

starrynightnf
10-18-2008, 06:31 PM
BTW, I was watching from home and your singing of Danny's song near the end sounded great! :D

GuelphStorm2007
10-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I think Wynne will stay put in TO next year.

nascarguy
10-19-2008, 08:25 AM
if Wynne? goes lets hope we get 6 millon for him and he goes to a great club