PDA

View Full Version : Before TFC...

vergilg
09-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Before TFC came to be, what team were you a fan of in the MLS?

I was a fan of Chicago, and I am happy to see they have a nice SSS these days, compared to playing at Soldier Field and the other places they had the club play.

So let's hear it - did you follow any other MLS teams before the TFC?

Cashcleaner
09-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm gonna be honest and say no. In fact, I had no idea Toronto was even interested in a franchise with the league until a few months before it was awarded.

kodiakTFC
09-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I loosely followed DC United and I still like to see them do well. I have met a few DC fans here in Montreal while hear for school and they are pretty knowledgeable.

Hooligan69
09-27-2008, 03:36 PM

Yes and no. I followed the Metrostars years ago, but I was never much of a MLS fan during that time.

Detroit_TFC
09-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Chicago, but only casually. I didn't really follow MLS too much.

zeelaw
09-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Nope

FluSH
09-27-2008, 03:49 PM

I was a fan of Chicago, and I am happy to see they have a nice SSS these days, compared to playing at Soldier Field and the other places they had the club play.

So let's hear it - did you follow any other MLS teams before the TFC?

There was no MLS for me b4 TFC... sure I liked one or two players who moved to the MLS like Carlos Valderrama... but that's about it.

LucaGol
09-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I used to follow the Galaxy back in the days of Mauricio Cienfuegos, Cobi Jones and Carlos Hermosillo.

I was also a semi-follower of DC United with John Harkes, Marco Etchevarry and Jaime Moreno.

Come to think of it, I actually paid pretty close attention to the MLS in the early days ... not the early early days, maybe year 3 on.

rocker
09-27-2008, 05:48 PM
i never watched an MLS game til TFC came along... i vaguely remember hearing about the league, but all I knew was that the league allocated players to each team in its first season and that seemed like a joke.... ha ha

twistedchinaman
09-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Nope.

I did watch both MLS Cups before 2007, though.

Keyman
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I would watch the MLS Cup, and if a game was on ABC I would watch it, but that was it. The quality was much worse 3-4 years ago from what I can remember.

Bobo
09-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Fuck the MLS I don't even like it now. If TFC were to fold, I would have no issue with never watching another game in my life.

Cashcleaner
09-27-2008, 06:30 PM
^ TFC will likely stick around a lot longer than the league if things ever came to that. I think if MLS were to collapse, we'd be one of the few clubs left that could start-up a new league altogether.

Oldtimer
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I followed DC.

TFC Cityboy
09-27-2008, 08:34 PM
nah - neever gave a rat's ass

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I hated MLS in its earlier years because they had stupid Americanized rules... anyone remember regular season overtime and penalty shootouts?

Funny how the NHL is now going the route that clearly failed in MLS...

Vep
09-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Didn't even know MLS existed... ;)

TFC....TOR...ONT!!!! but i'm a fan now!

twistedchinaman
09-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Fuck the MLS I don't even like it now. If TFC were to fold, I would have no issue with never watching another game in my life.

Amen to that...unless the league changes the rules drastically to be less retardedly obstructionist for the sake of being American, it could happen, and TFC can totally stand on its own with a few stronger teams.

I think TFC will be the first to be safe from a contraction if it ever happened.

Canadian Blue
09-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I had absolutely no interest in the MLS before TFC, and to be perfectly honest I still have absolutely no interest in the MLS besides TFC. I never watch any other games I have no idea who plays for who and the standings area an absolute mystery for me. TFC is all I am interested in when it comes to the MLS

TFC Cityboy
09-27-2008, 09:54 PM
^^ and let's not even get into the draft process or the friggin roster calculations !

TicTacTabarnack
09-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Before TFC......I never had as much fun at a sporting event in Toronto or followed any team in any sport as closely as I follow TFC. That being said ... No ... I didn't pay attention to any MLS team or even knew the league existed. I took the chance at owning season's tickets just for the sake of owning season's tickets to something in Toronto and now I'm hooked! I thought it was going to be big ... but these past two years have been beyond expectation. Now all we need is a winning team!

RPB_Brantford_08
09-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Followed New England, as a big Boston sports fan, except Red Sox and Pats.

Rocco
09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Dc Utd

Redcoe15
09-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I never had a reason to follow MLS because there were no Canadian teams to follow. The closest MLS cities were Chicago and Columbus (yeah, fuck 'em both!) That all changed once TFC came aboard. Here's hoping both Montreal and Vancouver follow suit (unless Don Garber pulls a massive brain fart, and we know that can happen).

Axeman
09-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Only watched for Canadian content.

morgank1986
09-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Not at all.

Keystone FC
09-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Has no interest in league until TFC came about. I was very hopeful and excited when I heard that a league was forming in the States but when they announced the original cities (C-Bus in the mix but No Seattle, No St. Louis, No Chicago?) and they brought out those kits I lost all interest and focused more on J League and Europe and minor league soccer in the US.

tfc007
09-28-2008, 06:59 AM
I followed MLS since its inception,the team I liked was DC United.Now that Toronto has a club,DC is on the back burner.

vergilg
09-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I hated MLS in its earlier years because they had stupid Americanized rules... anyone remember regular season overtime and penalty shootouts?

Funny how the NHL is now going the route that clearly failed in MLS...

Hahaha! Do you remember the stupid buzzer that went off to end a half?!!? Just like in basketball!

nascarguy
09-28-2008, 08:39 AM
before tfc I thought the mls was a joke. I only loosely followed manu, liverpool, Arsenal.

Now i only follow liverpool, Feyenoord, tfc

but if tfc was to fold I would follow dc I have been thinking about fly over to dc to meet up with friends for some games.

ben_vw
09-28-2008, 08:55 AM
I never really supported anyone, but I would often check the standings and the stats to see what was going on.

Bars92
09-28-2008, 08:20 PM
San Jose for George Best

BuSaPuNk
09-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Never really followed it up until TFC. Loosely followed the Revolution, but not much.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-29-2008, 12:24 AM
I never really supported anyone, but I would often check the standings and the stats to see what was going on.

That pretty much sizes up my support for MLS pre-TFC. Occasionally I would watch a few minutes of an MLS game, but that was only if I stumbled upon one while surfing the dial. I typically didn't root for any team, but I was vaguely interested in the quality of football in the league.

Apart from teams, I did have an interest in the Canadian players in the league. DeRo was good for a highlight reel goal from time to time.