PDA

View Full Version : Ives Rumour: Could Carver leave this winter? *updated - check 1st post*

Damien
09-26-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/09/morning-tick-12.html#more

I'll add an MLS twist to the story by setting a 7-1 line on the chances of current Toronto FC head coach John Carver leaving TFC this winter to join Keegan and Shearer's staff at Newcastle.
Carver to newcastle?

***UPDATED***

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/09/emptying-the--1.html

There are rumors circulating that Toronto FC has reached an agreement on a contract extension with embattled head coach John Carver. The word I'm getting is that no such agreement has been reached and both sides may be wary of committing at this point. Carver has strong ties to Newcastle legend Alan Shearer, who has long been linked to eventually becoming the club's head coach. When Newcastle is sold, and if Shearer joins Kevin Keegan's staff (as is being rumored), you could see Carver making a move. If Shearer becomes head coach outright, you could bet a pretty pound that Carver would bolt back to Newcastle.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 10:33 AM
hope not, id really really look poorly on the man if he did. I like him quite a bit despite one or two mistakes and think he'd do alot better if we had a stable squad (looking at you Mo)

werewolf
09-26-2008, 10:37 AM
I know he said he has turned down offers from England, but this might be the one he would take no matter what.

reggie
09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
will he bring his bus with him?

Damien
09-26-2008, 10:42 AM
If Carver leaves, who could we replace him with? Maybe a Central/South American coach?

Jay P
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
John Limniatis or
Steve Nicol

:)

reggie
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
If Carver leaves, who could we replace him with? Maybe a Central/South American coach?
bingo...we are a summer league...
we need a different style of football because of the heat...

canadian_bhoy
09-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Mo has wanted Steve Nicol for the job since day 1. If Nicol is available, he will be comming to TO end of story.

I hold no ill will towards Carver if he were to leave TO for a good position at the club that he loves (NUFC)

Oldtimer
09-26-2008, 10:58 AM
giambac will have to find something new to gripe about. Probably the fact that Nichol isn't Italian.

Stugatzo
09-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Dale Mitchell??!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Beach_Red
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Mo has wanted Steve Nicol for the job since day 1. If Nicol is available, he will be comming to TO end of story.

I hold no ill will towards Carver if he were to leave TO for a good position at the club that he loves (NUFC)

I agree. If he gets the chance, he'll take it, more power to him, no hard feelings.

Parkdale
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Dale Mitchell??!!

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/You_27re_20Fired_20trump_2Dthumb.jpg

Oldtimer
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Dale Mitchell??!!

:puke:

CoachGT
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM

Agreed - Carver still follows NUFC closely. If it happens, more power to him.

But wouldn't that cause the number of posts on the board to dry up by at least half?

olegunnar
09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I can see it now
Carver: If Mo stays I'm leaving, but if you get rid of Mo I'll stay.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Dont think Carver will bite the hand that feeds him

GingerNinja
09-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Plus, Carver knows the league is against TFC winning or succeeding in anyway.

SilverSamurai
09-26-2008, 11:55 AM
http://www.jonco48.com/blog/You_27re_20Fired_20trump_2Dthumb.jpg
Actually he's not. We're still wishing and hoping though!

ben_vw
09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Holger Olsiek was recently at one of our matches - Chivas or Columbus I believe.

druid
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Steve Nicol's MLS experience would make him preferable to Holger Osieck though they both have potential.

Either would give us a coach who's won a regional CL type competition.

Too bad its just rumors.

invictusTFC
09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I think this season was a huge learning experience for Carver. He made some mistakes due to his inexperience in this league. He was impulsive at times due to his passion which also translated into some mistakes. That being said, I think that if he does return, he'll be a better manger in year two as a result of those mistakes. My fear is that he may have had enough of the simple-minded nature of the MLS.

My biggest problem with Carver, has been his inability to get the best out of his players and to build some team cohesion. The question is whether its a player problem or a coaching problem.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree to a certain extent however some of that cohesion was seen earlier in the season and lacked in the latter part, question is what effected it? was it the internationals? Injuries? switching of line ups? All of the above? none of the above?
I suspect its prob a little bit of all of them

giambac
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Carver to newcastle?

You mean he will be leaving one shit team for another;)

I guess that's all that wants him.

giambac
09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I can see it now

Are you saying he is a backstabber????:eek:

Cashcleaner
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Man, I'd certainly hate to see this come true. We already have a revolving-door locker room. Would hate to see a revolving door manager's office as well.

Let's get some freakin' stability to this club, TFC.

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Man, I'd certainly hate to see this come true. We already have a revolving-door locker room. Would hate to see a revolving door manager's office as well.

ditto

Broadview
09-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Holger Osieck!

I'd miss Carver but it would be tough to hold a grudge if he left for a prominent position in his own back yard.

Damien
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
If Carver goes I say Mo should follow him out the door.

I've been a Mo supporter since he was announced, but this club has been in constant tailspin from the start.

It's obvious that the british long-ball crap doesnt work in this league. Our best games were when the boys were making nice small passes and connecting on them back in the early spring. The hot summer weather changed our style of play to brit long-ball which obviously isnt working.

Azerban
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
i could set a line on me joining the staff at newcastle (or slightly more likely, starting in their defence) but that doesn't actually mean there's anything of substance behind it

Oldtimer
09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
i could set a line on me joining the staff at newcastle (or slightly more likely, starting in their defence) but that doesn't actually mean there's anything of substance behind it

Ives is usually right though. It's not MLSRumors.

CoachGT
09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Ives comments about Carver's contract. A few weeks ago, Carver said that his original contract was for one year plus an option for a second. I don't recall seeing whose option the second year was.

It is interesting to note that Newcastle signs an interim manager that will stay until the end of October, or roughly the same length of time as the remainder of the MLS season. Not suggesting that Carver would be the skipper, he might be an option for the bench, though. Timing of the decision in Newcastle is curious.

Broadview
09-26-2008, 02:31 PM
7-1 ain't exactly 2-1.

Anyone know how to place a bet with Ives?

olegunnar
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Are you saying he is a backstabber????:eek:

No
What I'm saying is something broke in June on or around the fateful KC game.
Since then the team has played like crap and Carver has been a schizo in the media, ranting one moment then playing the pity me I'm just a humble guy card the next.

We have a better team on paper than the results would indicate. Hell I go to every game and watch these so called good players walk around and snooze for 90 minutes like 12 year olds in detention.

I've said since the KC game and since Carver's first blow up in the media that there's politicking going on and something seems like it's not right.

Then you get this random unsubstantiated rumour about Carver having options, right around the time we get eliminated from the playoffs and the suits start asking questions. It's kind of coincidental corporate cover your ass and create fake leverage.

I know nothing...so I'm probably wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

It happens in world football with players agents claiming interest in their players, which leads their clubs to renegotiate and up their pay.

It happens in coaching where rumours start that a coach might quit to take another job and then magically they get a new improved deal and stay.

I don't think there'd be money in it for Carver, but there's got to be some sort of leverage his agent is trying to gain with this rumour.

Damien
09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe something / maybe nothing but just a hint...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2008/09/24/6861761-sun.html

"If we can't play any better than that over the final five games, I don't deserve to be kept on. I wouldn't blame the fellows upstairs (Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.) if they replaced me under those circumstances."

Broadview
09-26-2008, 02:58 PM
^^Makes it sound as if year two is MLSE's option rather than Carver's, doesn't it?

AL-MO
09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
If Carver goes I say Mo should follow him out the door.

I've been a Mo supporter since he was announced, but this club has been in constant tailspin from the start.

It's obvious that the british long-ball crap doesnt work in this league. Our best games were when the boys were making nice small passes and connecting on them back in the early spring. The hot summer weather changed our style of play to brit long-ball which obviously isnt working.

Let me get an effigy prepared...:devil:

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 03:24 PM
gotta say Carver has been saying that he'd leave because/if alot lately, that does have me worried

profit89
09-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Carver is amazing.

Beach_Red
09-26-2008, 03:58 PM
I can see it now

Any coach whose team plays as shitty as Carver's does says that about his manager he'd never get another job in his life.

Losing is one thing, the way this team has been losing is entirely another.

ben_vw
09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
^^Makes it sound as if year two is MLSE's option rather than Carver's, doesn't it?

It was MLSE's option. They decided (http://tfcconnected.blogspot.com/2008/09/carvers-coming-back-barrett-demands.html) to bring him back at the beginning of the month.

Dirk Diggler
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
This is the best TFC related news I've heard in a long, long time. Lets hope it actually comes to fruition. Even though I'm not holding my breath on it, landing Steve Nicol would be absolutely amazing.

And yes, as someone already mentioned in this thread, Ives doesn't have the reputation of spewing bull crap. He has broken a lot of MLS related stories. Don't know where this skepticism is coming from. This isn't mlsrumours.

jloome
09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
This thread is beyond rumours or conjecture and into the realm of ridiculous.

First of all, Keegan just walked out. Yes, the fans love him. But if you don't think a new owner is going to be worried after his THIRD walkout (City, England, then Newcastle) after TWICE saying he wants to get out of football completely, you're not thinking like a businessman.

Secondly, Carver's boss at Newcastle was Gullit, then Bobby Robson. Neither is there now; third, why anyone thinks Alan Shearer would come on board as Keegan's assistant having just turned down the exact same job a few months ago is also puzzling, and without that connection, there's no Carver.

Fourth, Carver is unlikely, a decade into coaching, to give up a job in charge of a team in favour of going back to coaching technique as a field boss to spoiled premiership stars.

I'm gonna email Ives and take him up on that 7-1, as it should be 1-7, at best.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Some pretty good points Jloome, i took the liberty of quoting you, just to see what Ives says, HA

jloome
09-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Hee hee, I've just emailed him too, to take him up on those odds, if wants to put some greenbacks where his conjecture is.

And Oss, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Carver didn't sign a new extension, just confirmed he'd exercise his half of the option to stay. That still leaves the club, and it obviously hasn't given him a new deal yet. I'd be more worried about him being fired than anything else at this point. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Cunningham's resurgence suggested to the front office that it's the field boss, and not Mo, who's responsible for our woeful state.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Ech, that would be ridiculous and painful.
I havent minded Mo or his moves even though theyve been about 50/50 in both seasons. I am annoyed he spent too much time on Dickov instead of signing us a proper striker (i know theres alot that goes on behind the scenes but this is what i know). I also think itd be ridiculous because Carver has done alot more with the team then Mo would have, this shows even during that short run that we had... Unless they have someone bigger and better in line, i really dont see how ridding Carver would solve any problems what so ever...

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 04:49 PM
especially considering the flack Carver has taken (warranted or not).
Once again im worried as he has made several statements that now, in hindsight, leave him open to leave...

The Professor
09-26-2008, 05:24 PM
You mean he will be leaving one shit team for another;)

I guess that's all that wants him.

I'll only support Carver's departure if he takes you with him, giambac, to continue being Chester to his Spike far, far away from us here in Toronto.:D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/27/54052647_62b6be1848.jpg?v=0

TFC_Toon
09-26-2008, 06:41 PM
It is interesting to note that Newcastle signs an interim manager that will stay until the end of October, or roughly the same length of time as the remainder of the MLS season. Not suggesting that Carver would be the skipper, he might be an option for the bench, though. Timing of the decision in Newcastle is curious.

I think this may be more of a temporary caretaker role while Mike Ashley attempts to sell the club. It would appear some mysterious Nigerian outfit may be in for us and the rumour is they want Keegan back, as does the Toon Army.

All I know it is one big mess at Newcastle at the moment, nothing unusual there, but messier than usual, and it is the support who suffer with the product on the pich.

As for Carver, I could see him going back if offered, he has probably seen enough of the MLS act, one thing I think he would be sad to leave if anything is the support here in Toronto. Carver seems sincere in his appreciation for it and giving it what it deserves, a competitive side.

Roogsy
09-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Would anyone hold it against Carver if he left to join his beloved team? I wouldn't.

And it would finally shut up the Carver haters around here. Granted...they will probably wind up hating the next guy anyways.

MG42
09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
...they will probably wind up hating the next guy anyways.

Not if he wins games :wink:

Brooker
09-26-2008, 09:32 PM

who or what is this stablity you speak of?

as a toronto sports fan im quite confused.

druid
09-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't know whether Carver will be leaving but if he gets canned probably depends on whether MLSE can find someone better that wants the job.

That will be complicated by Mo's presence. At lot of Managers won't want a directory of football around if his job extends much beyond contract negotiations and hand holding the suits.

J .
09-26-2008, 10:03 PM
If he went to a shitty club, i would take a look at MLSE and TFC management, but leaving to a Premiership club is something I would not frown upon, especially if it is his beloved club.

Nicol would do a great job here, but I think we can expect DD to at some point be a candidate for the position 3-5 years down the road.

Shakes McQueen
09-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Unless MLSE get rid of him, I don't see him leaving. Newcastle United's ownership and management is a huge mess right now, and Carver himself has said he feels he owes it to the fans of this city to get us some results.

- Scott

CretanBull
09-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Carver has strong ties to Alan Shearer? And we need a striker? I smell a new MLS Rumors blog post!

Seriously though, I'll take an out-of-shape one legged Shearer over any one of our current strikers...

Bobo
09-27-2008, 08:56 AM
A promotion?:confused: No wonder why Newcastle is a joke.

giambac
09-27-2008, 10:19 AM
I'll only support Carver's departure if he takes you with him, giambac, to continue being Chester to his Spike far, far away from us here in Toronto.:D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/27/54052647_62b6be1848.jpg?v=0

I slept great last night. It was perhaps my best sleep in 6 months. I dreamt that Carver left the team.

Needles to say i was disappointed when I woke up an drealized it was a dream:mad:

giambac
09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
No
What I'm saying is something broke in June on or around the fateful KC game.
Since then the team has played like crap and Carver has been a schizo in the media, ranting one moment then playing the pity me I'm just a humble guy card the next.

We have a better team on paper than the results would indicate. Hell I go to every game and watch these so called good players walk around and snooze for 90 minutes like 12 year olds in detention.

I've said since the KC game and since Carver's first blow up in the media that there's politicking going on and something seems like it's not right.

Then you get this random unsubstantiated rumour about Carver having options, right around the time we get eliminated from the playoffs and the suits start asking questions. It's kind of coincidental corporate cover your ass and create fake leverage.

I know nothing...so I'm probably wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

It happens in world football with players agents claiming interest in their players, which leads their clubs to renegotiate and up their pay.

It happens in coaching where rumours start that a coach might quit to take another job and then magically they get a new improved deal and stay.

I don't think there'd be money in it for Carver, but there's got to be some sort of leverage his agent is trying to gain with this rumour.

Yest that famous game vs KC back in June. It was the beginning of the end for TFC. Did I not say it back in June to mark this game on your calendars. People thought I was nuts when I said it would come back to haunt us. I guess I'm not so crazy afterall:noidea:

Marco2K
09-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Carver will not be here next year.

i am 50/50 on the matter.

Carver shows passion. But so far the team on the field has not lived up to the hype.

ManUtd4ever
09-27-2008, 12:18 PM
I have supported Carver since the beginning of the season but I wouldn't be devastated if he resigned...

sampace
09-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I for one will not miss him. BRING IN HOLGER OSIECK! :canada:

Limani_Ole
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Stephen Hart should be looked at as a possible replacement...

has done better with the MNT than Dale M has..

RPB_Brantford_08
09-28-2008, 01:17 PM
giambac will have to find something new to gripe about. Probably the fact that Nichol isn't Italian.

:D:D Carvers is going no where. anyone going to that circus that is NUFC
right now is crazy....Keegan will be back one new owners are brought in.

BASE
09-28-2008, 09:57 PM
There is only one name that MLSE should consider and that is Peter Nowak who has just wrapped up his gig as US Olympic U23 coach. Nowak is an MLS legend as a player and won a championship with DC a few years back as a coach. There are only a few coaches that have a proven track record of success in MLS and Nowak is one. The former captain of the Polish National team is one of a select few ...Arena, Bradley, Sampson, Rongen, Schmid, Yallop, Kinnear, Nicol, and Gansler that have built championship sides in MLS. Nowak, if he would come is the best candidate for the job and would show the rest of the league that Toronto FC are serious about success. Foreign coaches have always had difficulty succeeding in MLS and Carver is no different. Without a North American background (Nowak + Nicol have been around American soccer circles for years) it is extremely difficult for outsiders to succeed thus the failures of Guilit, Stapleton, CA Pierrera, Bora etc... over the years.

Don Julio
09-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Jesus, don't Newcastle have enough problems?