PDA

View Full Version : Cap Increased? 3.6 to 4.8 million?

Lucky Strike
09-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Among other hugely important / promising things, a potential salary cap increase could be coming...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/09/report-schedule-salaries-expansion-top.html

poppamidnight
09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
good news i guess....

...i say guess because we all know what's going to happen:

Instead of the $$$ going where it should (to the youth/younger players, in hopes of them staying here longer)

the $$$ will end up being spent on the worlds most expensive substitutes:
e.g. Carlos Ruiz

rocker
09-26-2008, 09:19 AM
i will be a bit surprised if Garber raises the cap that much for next season. i believe they talked about this at last year's owners meetings and some teams wanted a big increase and some didn't... the ones that didn't, won. so talking about it isn't a guarantee it'll happen.
Garber might not want to give way when he knows he has to renegotiate the CBA with the players next year. Although he could see this as a way to undercut the union (and a possible strike) by looking like Santa Claus before negotiations.
I read somewhere once that the salary cap # is something that the players cannot negotiate with the league.. something to do with the labour laws or whatever.

Azerban
09-26-2008, 09:35 AM
good news i guess....

...i say guess because we all know what's going to happen:

Instead of the $$$ going where it should (to the youth/younger players, in hopes of them staying here longer)

the $$$ will end up being spent on the worlds most expensive substitutes:
e.g. Carlos Ruiz

You're pretty crazy if you believe any salary cap increase won't be accompanied by a minimum salary increase. Anything past that will completely be the fault of the clubs for not paying their kids.

Billy the kid
09-26-2008, 09:35 AM
That article that is attached says nothing about a raise in salary cap, it says their is little that can be done about international games as Garber can't see soccer being played in February and the games get more attendance on weekends so he doesn't want to change that. Their is also no mention of a single table in it. I don't know what their source is for this stuff.

Lucky Strike
09-26-2008, 09:49 AM
That article that is attached says nothing about a raise in salary cap, it says their is little that can be done about international games as Garber can't see soccer being played in February and the games get more attendance on weekends so he doesn't want to change that. Their is also no mention of a single table in it. I don't know what their source is for this stuff.

?!? It's definitely there...

As for sources, well, the site is called MLS Rumors. Sometimes they get it right, others they don't. You always have to take things with a grain of salt.

Oldtimer
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Garber makes proposals. The board of governors has the final say, not Garber.

Too bad about the Superliga. I would rather have that dropped in favour of the CCL.

Beach_Red
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
i believe they talked about this at last year's owners meetings and some teams wanted a big increase and some didn't... the ones that didn't, won.

Every new team that comes into the league wants to increase the salary cap. You spend $40 million on expansion fees, the quality will have to be there. Soon the teams that don't want to increase the cap will be far outnumbered.

The cap was a good idea to get the league going, but very soon (now?) it's going to be holding it back.

Oldtimer
09-26-2008, 10:05 AM
I read somewhere once that the salary cap # is something that the players cannot negotiate with the league.. something to do with the labour laws or whatever.

I'm not denying that some blogger or someone wrote that, but how can that be true when the NHL had cap levels as part of their negotiations? The NHL is an American-based league as well, despite it's roots.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Superliga is retarded, just as mickey mouse as the rest of the league.
Bit disappointed as it sounds as if little will change...

S_D
09-26-2008, 10:22 AM
With only 3 profitable teams in the league I find this drastic of an increase highly unlikely.

I can't see anything being done until the CBA is renegotiated and we see a few more profitable teams.

Angelo1405
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
"MLS 2.0 in 2010" ? with the expansion, and with the great rate that this league is growing...i guess it means its a new Millenium..haha i dont know. good for raising the cap though

rocker
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm not denying that some blogger or someone wrote that, but how can that be true when the NHL had cap levels as part of their negotiations? The NHL is an American-based league as well, despite it's roots.

there was a long thread on Big Soccer awhile back and a number of people were discussing the role of salary caps within the context of union negotiations. i forget the details, but i believe the fact that MLS is single entity has some bearing on the way that the salary cap is considered in legal terms. The cap is not something considered a part of negotiations unless the league considers it as such. I wish I could find the thread -- it was a fascinating thing where people with actual legal experience were posting credible details on it.
The last negotiations with the players did not include the salary cap.

Billy the kid
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
?!? It's definitely there...

As for sources, well, the site is called MLS Rumors. Sometimes they get it right, others they don't. You always have to take things with a grain of salt.

I mean in the attached article entitled "Don Garber talks about MLS 2.0", he doesn't mention a raise in the cap of 3.8 to 4.6 million.

It will be interesting to see if any of this plays out.

Cashcleaner
09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
1) They should be scrapping Superliga entirely (I thought for sure they already did) and focusing on the league and CONCACAF Champs League. I know Superliga has been making the league some cash through TV and stadium attendance, but CONCACAF has more reward potential for clubs good enough to enter.

2) I'm not holding my breath for a system of promotion/relegation and I don't recommend anyone else doing it either.

3) You want to talk about expansion? Vancouver and Montreal or Ottawa. St. Louis is a good site and possibly Portland, but the league simply can't survive having a multitude of clubs placed in cities with no real interest in the sport.

4) Didn't see a thing about the salary cap myself, but if it's anything less than 5 million I would be very disappointed. And again, the league minimum salary must be increased.

Once again, reading about MLS's plans and proposals for 2009-2010 confirm that very little concern is given toward the overall quality of the league, but much is focused on short-term monetary gains.

rocker
09-26-2008, 11:42 AM
i just did some research on the net about my earlier vague post.
if any of you have university access to journal articles, you can read a very interesting one here:

Big League Perestroika? The Implications of Fraser v. Major League Soccer, Edward Mathias, University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Vol. 148, No. 1 (Nov., 1999), pp. 203-237

the players fought MLS in the 90s, particularly against the salary cap, which was completely and totally determined by MLS (unlike the NHL or NBA cap which was negotiated). The players were dealing in antitrust law, saying MLS was colluding to keep salaries down.

The case went to court and the court ruled in MLS's favour, saying that it wasn't a collection of entities (owners) colluding against players. Instead, MLS was single entity, like a corporation with different divisions. You can't collude against your own divisions (theoretically impossible). So the salary cap becomes simply a budget of the corporation and not something that one negotiates. The other pro leagues in NA are a bunch of separate businesses that come together, so they could potentially collude to lower salaries. Thus the players in those leagues can ask for and demand negotiation on the salary cap determination because they could otherwise take the teams to court under antitrust laws.

I did not know this, and now I see the benefit -- in a legal sense -- of the single entity structure of MLS as it relates to the cap. If MLS started transferring rights to the individual owners, so it becomes more like a typical NA league in an ownership sense, then suddenly the league would lose legal control of its ability to decide the cap. So that's why the cap will not be under negotiation -- MLS just will say "it's part of our corporate budget plan and not something you guys can be a part of".

Lucky Strike
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I mean in the attached article entitled "Don Garber talks about MLS 2.0", he doesn't mention a raise in the cap of 3.8 to 4.6 million.

It will be interesting to see if any of this plays out.

Ah yes, then you're right. I thought you meant the link didn't discuss the salary cap.

Billy the kid
09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree that they should scrap SuperLiga, it takes away from the champions league.

kshep
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
What we need is a second international club tournament a'la UEFA cup, if it's superliga so be it.. though I'd rather MLS let CONCACAF handle that and bring the Gold Cup back.

MLS needs to switch to a single table and they need to make MLS Cup an in season tournament open to the whole league, and scrap the play-offs, that way; league games can be played until the end of November.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 04:45 PM
The fact that Garber is weighing so much on the Superliga is embarassing, i wish fifa would openly dismiss it for the cashgrab (that ignores the players bankaccounts) that it is

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Teams need to focus more on the CL then the SL and openly show distain for that to happen tho i spose

Wolfe
09-26-2008, 05:24 PM
If the cap does get raised, I guess that is a sneaky way for them to once again give the Galaxy what they want?

flatpicker
09-26-2008, 05:26 PM
^ fine by me... if the Galaxy get to spend more then so do we!

nascarguy
09-26-2008, 09:34 PM
the cap sould be set at about 900k

andyc
09-26-2008, 10:34 PM
What we need is a second international club tournament a'la UEFA cup, if it's superliga so be it.. though I'd rather MLS let CONCACAF handle that and bring the Gold Cup back.

Not with an 18 man senior roster... The UEFA Cup is a secondary tournament in Europe - I don't think that MLS teams have the resources to cope with the second tournament. Let's get the Champions League accepted before we try to grow.

troy1982
09-26-2008, 11:28 PM
You're pretty crazy if you believe any salary cap increase won't be accompanied by a minimum salary increase. Anything past that will completely be the fault of the clubs for not paying their kids.

Except the the minimum wage is part of the CBA but the salary cap isn't.