PDA

View Full Version : TFC needs a grass practice facility

olegunnar
09-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Can we blame our bad road record on being because we suck on grass?

By suck I mean 2 wins in 12 league games....2 wins 8 losses and 2 ties.

We average 0.5 points per game on grass and 1.25 points per game on turf.

redcard
09-25-2008, 08:33 PM
no, we just suck...the team has no heart....

like carver said, 'we play better at home cause theres no place to hide'

i dont see how being out of position has anything to do with the playing surface...

JDG
09-25-2008, 08:36 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=6294

nascarguy
09-25-2008, 09:39 PM
no, we just suck...the team has no heart....

like carver said, 'we play better at home cause theres no place to hide'

i dont see how being out of position has anything to do with the playing surface...
yeah ok we need the grass and getting it at our practice facility is a good start so our players only have to practice on the fake shit so much and maybe we can get some great new players.

netsan
09-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Surely the short term solution is to practice at Eglington Flats or Ester Shiner Stadium fields. TFC will only need to play on turf one time a week. They should stay away from BMO until game day.

Super
09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Grass is mainly important in bringing in better players.

BuSaPuNk
09-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I believe that if they had a grass pitch to practice on they would be about 30% better on the road then they currently are. They are so used to the ball movement and speed on the artifical stuff that they cannot pace the ball properly on grass. This is why we never really have good posestion. Also a grass practice facility would eventually lead to a grass pitch at BMO.

Shakes McQueen
09-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I'd prefer grass at BMO ASAP instead, but if that can't happen sooner than later, a grass practice facility would be better than nothing.

At least practicing on grass, might attract some of the players who avoid us because of the turf. Anyone's knees should be able to handle 90 minutes a week on that stuff.

- Scott

nascarguy
09-26-2008, 01:08 AM
our field looks like shit it is so flat.

olegunnar
09-26-2008, 07:24 AM
I believe that if they had a grass pitch to practice on they would be about 30% better on the road then they currently are. They are so used to the ball movement and speed on the artifical stuff that they cannot pace the ball properly on grass. This is why we never really have good posestion. Also a grass practice facility would eventually lead to a grass pitch at BMO.

Hate to say it, especially here in the house that Sutton built, but he does us no favours in possession.
Saturday was a prime example. KC would march up the field, the attack would fizzle and Sutton would get the ball and then Sutton would kick it back to KC. KC would then march up he field, the attack would fizzle and Sutton would get the ball and kick it back to KC. This pattern was repeated for about 10 minutes.

As to the other point I agree. The passing is worse than it's normal crappy standard when they play on grass. As if their expecting the roll and bounce of the turf.

BuSaPuNk
09-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Hate to say it, especially here in the house that Sutton built, but he does us no favours in possession.
Saturday was a prime example. KC would march up the field, the attack would fizzle and Sutton would get the ball and then Sutton would kick it back to KC. KC would then march up he field, the attack would fizzle and Sutton would get the ball and kick it back to KC. This pattern was repeated for about 10 minutes.

As to the other point I agree. The passing is worse than it's normal crappy standard when they play on grass. As if their expecting the roll and bounce of the turf.

I Completely agree Sutton has shown times of bad judgement and just surrendering the ball back with a bad kick or pour decision. I just wish they can get there ball control better on the grass and in the midfield.

JonO
09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
^^^ I find that Edwards does a much better job of distributing the ball....

Blizzard
09-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Surely the short term solution is to practice at Eglington Flats or Ester Shiner Stadium fields. TFC will only need to play on turf one time a week. They should stay away from BMO until game day.

Unfortunately, Esther Shiner Stadium is now outfitted with a nice, new, shiny artificial surface. Two or three years ago actually.

Parkdale
09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
here's the catch:

look at this picture
http://blog.soccersiliconvalley.com/images/rapids_stadium.jpg

grass pitches right next to the stadium - that would be perfect... BUT
there's no way we could have that luxury of space and an urban location.

If the stadium was built at Downsview, maybe it would be easier to do,
but would they have sold out all those tickets? Personally, I think no.

Marco2K
09-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I drive by Downsview park every day and i SAY damn " THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUR HOUSE"

tonnes of space. That place is huge.

Growing the sport thru more fields is the way to go.

rocker
09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
downsview wouldn't have been as convenient, nor would it have had the vibe of the downtown location... and after games I'd be trying to get the hell out of that area, not hang around at the local bars.

Marco2K
09-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Downsview still would have been good. And still very convienent.

Close to 401-400-404

TTC Has Keele bus and u have downsview station.

As for the Local Bar thing that is the only problem

hrvat87
09-27-2008, 01:14 PM
The artfical turf plays a big roll in the player's bodies(joints,knnes,back...etc)playing 90 min games almost every weekend is a big thing,not counting that they pratice every day on the same artfical turf they play games on...Thats why TFC have so many players hurt,and new players dont want to come here.But ladies & gents get used to artfical turf because majority of new fields being built are ARTFICAL..y?because it doesnt take as much work to maintain as does real grass....