PDA

View Full Version : Our House

Barbarez
05-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Article by the one and only Scott Ferguson from the Ultras Board.

http://www.ultras114.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=34

ACSertL
05-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Brilliant article. Thanks for posting that.

TK88
05-20-2008, 08:11 AM
great article.

Shaughno
05-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Well done. Definitely agree with this part as well...

Take this situation for an example: when a BMO security officer smelled tobacco smoke and confronted some of the Ultras in 114, the fans were quick to make a vocal and conscious effort to find the smoker and have them butt out. Rather than rushing in with arms swinging, she presented her concerns to the Ultras, who quickly assisted her in rectifying the situation -- if the fans had responded negatively, then would have been the time to bring in assistance to eject first and ask questions later. Cooperation tends to work better and create less of a problem for both sides -- the police outfit at BMO Field ought to try it sometime.

The failure of the Toronto police to accurately gauge the level of heavyhandedness needed to control the situation at BMO speaks of a general naiveté and lack of understanding of the fan culture attached to the club. We are not hooligans, and definitely not a group that condones violence in any way -- blatant moves to create dossiers on members of the group seem like a waste of the force's resources and our tax dollars. If BMO security and Toronto police are serious about keeping the stadium a safe place, cooperation with the supporters' groups will yield far greater results than creating an "us vs. them" mentality on both sides.

Daveisonfire
05-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Great article!

Barbarez
05-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Cool :) I'll try and post his articles here more often.

MrHawk
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Very well written article. Thanks :)

TorontoBlades
05-20-2008, 10:06 AM
that was one of the best and most forward thinking articles i've ever read on anything TFC related

i think i want to join the ultras

gtaguy
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Great to see he covered many points that are sticky issues for all of us REDS fans...

Thanks for posting...

bdrs
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Awesome read. So often it is over aggression by the authority that leads to bad situations. Well stated points in there. If it is us vs. them I would like to think the supporters groups are part of the us. We have no more interest in negative activity at games then they do.

Jack
05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks Barbie...good stuff.

denime
05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Good Article,thanks Barbarez or should I sat F**$%#@ :)

Cashcleaner
05-21-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm going to be honest here. I haven't heard of Scott Ferguson before reading that article, but he's written up a pretty good blog from what I've seen thus far.

In particular, I liked his remarks on the policing situation at BMO Field. I haven't experienced any major problems myself, with the exception of a loud-mouthed moron for a security guard who didn't like how slow Connie and I were wrapping up a banner; but I've seen some security guys running down into 112/113 with elbows and arms flailing during a match to "diffuse" a situation. It seems like they make matters worse that way.

Del Boy
05-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Very good read, extremely well written. I hope this has been forwarded to BMO!
Thank you Scott

Red CB Toronto
05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Great read may I say, really enjoyed it.