PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft Prospects

Sullivan
09-23-2008, 11:07 PM
With three 1st round draft picks, maybe its time to start looking at what Mo might do with them.

This is the first list I've seen, credit to scaryice at climibing the ladder (Professor was right about the other lists - it was created by scaryice too) and since Professor has moved on I'll try and pick up the pieces but I won't have much to offer as Prof gave me a lot of info (like this list minus his usual comments) but is now in a position of conflict, so there's no point in asking him. :rolleyes::D:canada:

G Zack Simmons Massachusetts - best there is and better than Edwards

D Calum Angus Saint Louis
D Chris Clements Tulsa
D David Tyrie Central Conn. St.
D John Pardini Fordham
D Kevon Neaves South Florida
D Liam Parrington Hartwick
D Matt Besler Notre Dame
D Rhett Bernstein Brown
D Yohance Marshall South Florida

M Akeem Priestley Connecticut
M Alejandro Bedoya Boston College
M Andrei Gotsmanov Creighton
M Brad Ring Indiana
M Chris DeAbreau St. Peter's
M Chris Wright New Mexico
M Eric Sweetin Saint Louis
M George John Washington
M Joshua Boateng Liberty
M Kyle Patterson Saint Louis
M Michael Fucito Harvard
M Patrick Murray Furman
M Ryan Maduro Providence
M Sam Cronin Wake Forest
M Toni Stahl Connecticut
M Trevor Banks Old Dominion
M Yan Klukowski Central Conn. St.

F Brad Peters Eastern Illinois
F Chris Pontius UC Santa Barbara
F Daniel Revivo Winthrop
F Graciano Brito Quinnipiac
F Marcus Tracy Wake Forest
F Mike Grella Duke
F O'Brian White Connecticut

Oldtimer
09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
O'Brian White is clearly the most exciting prospect on the list. Not only is he a good forward, but being Canadian he is of particular interest to TFC.

Fort York Redcoat
09-24-2008, 08:06 AM
If he's the best overall, fine. But I want to see Toronto take the attitude that these Canadians will want to play for us anyway. It may not be where the club is at right now but it's where I think we want to be.

I'm thinking a defender would be a priority as well.

NF-FC
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
with 3 first rounders i'd take OBW, an attacking mid that can take defenders one on one, and another defender

BuSaPuNk
09-24-2008, 08:27 AM
We have first overall pick this year?

TFC 420
09-24-2008, 08:36 AM
We have first overall pick this year?

No. Seattle has first pick

Canary Canuck
09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
O'Brian White is clearly the most exciting prospect on the list. Not only is he a good forward, but being Canadian he is of particular interest to TFC.

This is a common misconception. O'Brian White is NOT Canadian. He was born and raised in Jamaica and had a cup of coffee attending high school in Toronto before heading off to UConn. On top of that he's inelgible to ever play for Canada having represented Jamaica in official competitions at various youth levels and is now over the age of 21 which is FIFA's deadline for switching countries.

NF-FC
09-24-2008, 09:14 AM
This is a common misconception. O'Brian White is NOT Canadian. He was born and raised in Jamaica and had a cup of coffee attending high school in Toronto before heading off to UConn. On top of that he's inelgible to ever play for Canada having represented Jamaica in official competitions at various youth levels and is now over the age of 21 which is FIFA's deadline for switching countries.

he hasn't played for Jamaica's senior squad, which means he's still able to switch if he wants to

Fort York Redcoat
09-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Yay! He likes our coffee! He's Red and White all the way!

JonO
09-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't believe that's the point. The point is whether or not he would qualify as "Canadian" under MLS rules, which (and I may be mistaken) does not relate to which team you are eligible to play for internationally...

BakaGaijin
09-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't believe that's the point. The point is whether or not he would qualify as "Canadian" under MLS rules, which (and I may be mistaken) does not relate to which team you are eligible to play for internationally...

Exactly. He does qualify as a Canadian. He must have landed immigrant status or something to that effect.

Fort York Redcoat
09-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah as we all know MLS aren't aligned with FIFA on all things.

This Canadian vs American spots are a real sore point.

Big Bruva
09-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah i hear what ya saying, if O'B got drafted to TFC he would want to play here trust me.

He is Jamaican first and Canadian second lol but has a lot of family and friends here.

If he's the best overall, fine. But I want to see Toronto take the attitude that these Canadians will want to play for us anyway. It may not be where the club is at right now but it's where I think we want to be.

I'm thinking a defender would be a prority as well.

Big Bruva
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
O'B will be playing for the Jamaican National team very soon.

Canary Canuck
09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Please explain how he's going to qualify as a domestic.

- Not born here
- Not raised here
- Pretty sure he's not a citizen
- According to Big Bruva will be with the full Jamaican nats very soon.

I fail to see how spending a few years in Toronto is enough to qualify as a Domestic.

JonO
09-24-2008, 10:27 AM

- Not born here
- Not raised here

I fail to see how spending a few years in Toronto is enough to qualify as a Domestic.
That's the question right there now, isn't it? Does he or does he not have citizenship or permanent resident status? My understanding is that either of those two would qualify him as Canadian for MLS purposes

Canary Canuck
09-24-2008, 10:51 AM
he hasn't played for Jamaica's senior squad, which means he's still able to switch if he wants to

Not the case. Playing in official competitions at youth level which O'brian has done in U17 and U20 world cup qualifying is enough to cap tie a player. They have the chance to to switch before they turn 21. Rene Simoes wanted Jermaine Pennant for Jamaica and was unable to get him due to his participation U21 qualifiers for England. Qatar is in a huge mess right now because they fielded the Brazilian Emerson in a June qualifier against Iraq (which Qatar won 1-0 to advance at Iraq's expense) without knowing that he had played for Brazil at youth level. Under the rules the game must be forfeited and Iraq is going to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to get it overturned. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080922/n_sports_reuters/soccer_fifa_qatar__analysis___corrected_1

arsenal
09-24-2008, 11:16 AM

- Not born here
- Not raised here

All he would need is permanent resident status. Same way Guevara, Ruiz, Marshall etc all qualify as domestics for American teams because they got their green cards.

Hugh Jazz
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I just hope we don't use all three picks to draft players, we should use at least one if not two picks to make strong trades before next season.

There are too many roster restrictions for it to be possible to:
a) field a strong starting XI comprised mostly of veteran players
b) give three first round picks sufficient playing time to develop and integrate into the team.
c) continue working on getting some of the dev. roster players playing with and at the same level of our first team.

Using all three drafts will probably force Mo to make an unfavourable trade mid-season, ala Phelan.

ccopela
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
I just hope we don't use all three picks to draft players, we should use at least one if not two picks to make strong trades before next season.

There are too many roster restrictions for it to be possible to:
a) field a strong starting XI comprised mostly of veteran players
b) give three first round picks sufficient playing time to develop and integrate into the team.
c) continue working on getting some of the dev. roster players playing with and at the same level of our first team.

Using all three drafts will probably force Mo to make an unfavourable trade mid-season, ala Phelan.

I agree with this it would make more sense to trade a first round pick for an established player. I think 1 of the first round picks for a player like Adrian Serioux would make sense. We're not going to get a domestic player that high in the draft anyways so why not trade for him and help our domestic content. Not to mention the fact that he's a decent defender in this league. I'd say trade for Will Johnson as well but he's impressed too much at RSL i think so that's probably out of the question.

jloome
09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I think it's frightening that people even get excited at the prospect of MLS draftees making an impact; if these kids were at the level to compete professionally, most of them would be scouted and signed before hitting MLS, because you can sign a kid to a pro contract once he turns 18.

There have been some good players come out of college (Twellman and McBride would be obvious ones) but you're not going to get many come into the league and have a team-lifting impact. White, by report, has all the tools. But it's an entirely different speed and intensity at the pro level, even in MLS. If we get him, I wouldn't expect 10 goals out of him out of the gate; it's unrealistic.

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Edu is like a best case scenario. Highly touted with a good first year then sell him for millions as he starts to nosedive. The draft will most likely be trade bait for players more accomplished. Still, it's something to look forward to.:noidea:

Big Bruva
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Just to clear things up after talking to O'Brian he is a landed immigrant

Ossington Mental Youth
09-26-2008, 01:12 PM
gotta agree too much emphasis is put on these draft picks to do well right out the gate. Im pretty sure that Obrien is canadian or has canadian citizenship. hes been here since he was 16 then moved to the states to go to uni...

ccopela
09-29-2008, 01:18 PM
anyone know if Tosaint Ricketts is on the MLS draft radar at all? Probably not first round but he impressed with Canada U-20 and U-23 teams and he's had at least 1 trial in Europe. I think he'd be a great late round pick up for TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I think hes already playing in Europe in Norway or something to that effect

Ossington Mental Youth
09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Just to clear things up after talking to O'Brian he is a landed immigrant
There ya have it folks
Without getting into semantics hes more or less considered a Canadian and would be considered an international in teh US

ccopela
09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I think hes already playing in Europe in Norway or something to that effect

No He's definitely still playing in Wisconsin for Green Bay because I just checked there website and he's started their last few games

Ossington Mental Youth
09-29-2008, 01:33 PM
nice!
Gotta figure he'd be a target too, also maybe for San Jose but outside of that i doubt he'll go high in the draft

ccopela
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
nice!
Gotta figure he'd be a target too, also maybe for San Jose but outside of that i doubt he'll go high in the draft

He's scored a couple goals so far this year. He's also had a bit of exposure to American teams seeing as he scored a hat trick against the Americans in a pre U-20 world cup exhibition game. I'd find it hard to believe he won't be drafted from what I've seen of him. But I've never seen him in collegiate soccer and I am by no means an expert

Ossington Mental Youth
09-29-2008, 01:55 PM
How many cats got drafted in the first round last year that were internationals?
(i can only really think of 1 or two off hand), i just seem to think that it works out for us and against the US based teams although i could be very wrong

J .
09-30-2008, 01:20 AM
give me TR, a canadian over obw.. any day of the week.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-30-2008, 08:04 AM
uh obw, if you read previously, is considered a canadian as well

David_Oliveira
09-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I found a great website (http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_soccer/index.html) that ranks players by whatever stats you want

DigzTFC!
10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey fellas, long time no post:

I was wondering how our wonderkid O'Brian White was doing this year....guess what....he's tanking.

4 Goals and 2 assists through 10 games.

Updates on other big name seniors:
Marcus Tracy has 8 goals through 10.
Mike Grella 9 through 9.
Alejandro Bedoya has 6 goals and 7 assists through 10.
Daniel Revivo has 8 through 10 and might get a look in the draft.(Canadian)

In terms of potential GA guys, here's what I could muster up.

http://www.3rddegree.net/ga-tracking/