PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Sept.23

denime
09-23-2008, 06:02 AM
TFC fans under fire
Irked fan and MLSEL clear air about incidents
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca)

Let's start this off with the admission that Toronto FC fans -- who have a well-earned reputation across Major League Soccer as the most passionate, most colourful and loudest supporters -- are no candidates for sainthood.
As Sun Media writer Brett Clarkson pointed out so well in the Sunday Sun, however, there are some of the more than 20,000 who have made seats at BMO Field the hottest ticket in town, who have taken their enthusiasm to an ugly new level.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/dean_mcnulty/2008/09/23/6847386-sun.html)

Reds back in training
Toronto start to prepare for Houston

Toronto FC returned to training at BMO Field on Monday morning after Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Kansas City Wizards. The Reds now prepare for a home clash against Houston Dynamo on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080922&content_id=189897&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :noidea:

The Kingpin
09-23-2008, 06:25 AM
TFC fans under fire = redemption?

We'll see how this plays out.

James Oliphant
09-23-2008, 06:53 AM
My god, Crew fans are a bunch of pussies.

SLBuu
09-23-2008, 07:39 AM
what happened to TFC fans in Columbus was 100x worse than what happened to those fuck twats from america's armpit........

These guys are a fuckin JOKE!!!!

Oldtimer
09-23-2008, 07:45 AM
The beer-throwing has been documented and yesterday TFC's parent -- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. -- let it be known that it has identified some of the participants as season-ticket holders who now are in danger of losing their seats.

there are plenty of responsible people who would love those seats.

starrynightnf
09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
TFC Fans under fire, was a horrible story. What is wrong with these people that they feel the need to make up stories and try to start shit? Are people really believing that BMO is the only place where competing supporters groups have "incidents"?

trane
09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Fuck columbus. Fuck the crew.

Boris
09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
this is why i wanted all comments to a minimal yesterday. They want us to get fired up at this point with them

Daveisonfire
09-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Now we have two newspapers which need not be named...

Nodoubtguy
09-23-2008, 08:14 AM
hahaha....oh my, should we start printing articles about when the KKKrew fans started to get all racist??

Brooker
09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Tyler Durden
09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
If its not american its not right.

flatpicker
09-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I think now have to dress up like Jays, Raptors, and Leaf fans... go to the games and start some major incidents!
That'll take some of the heat off of us...

nimamalek
09-23-2008, 09:12 AM
its the toronto sun, why are we even talking about it?

Nodoubtguy
09-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I think now have to dress up like Jays, Raptors, and Leaf fans... go to the games and start some major incidents!
That'll take some of the heat off of us...

lol.....closing game of the Jays season.....lets do it!!!

Oldtimer
09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Now we have two newspapers which need not be named...

I'm afraid that irresponsible journalism is everywhere these days. There's no point "banning" papers.

Technorgasm
09-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I swear if the CREW make it to the MLS CUp FInal. . . . .

TFC fans shoul dbe prepared to stave the onslaught of bad press. . .

We have been the darlings of the league (esp. as far as expansion goes)
and have received MILES of print because of it.

We're under the microscope, and lil incidents / lies - like this will grab mass headlines.

tit for tat as far as I see.

wait. . . did I say Tit? hahaha
ya, tits rock.

kind of like chocolate milkshakes.
they rock too.
or Spanish coffee, now THATs a drink to be proud of.
throw in some biscotti you got yourself a story worth reporting!

::TREND ALERT:: TFC FANS LOVE SPANISH COFFEE . . . . . and kickin ass

Blizzard
09-23-2008, 09:27 AM
lol.....closing game of the Jays season.....lets do it!!!

Jays crowds have already far outdone TFC supporters for violence this year.

Martin Groove
09-23-2008, 09:28 AM
i wonder why the local papers seem so adimant about getting quotations and statements from opposing fans from other cities, rather then try to report what happens in their hometown, and get the story from the hometown supporters, people, police etc. Making accusations without any merit is always childish in my view, i have never taken the Sun as much more then a comic book full of ads. This tabloid did their job id imagine, stirred up some interest, sold some copies, very much like the enquirer would do in the US.

Martin Groove
09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
and on another note, nothings beats the credibility of a writer who was supposed to write about fans getting together to make over 8 grand for cancer research, and cheaply decided to slag the same group of people, overlooking the fact of what great work they did

SLBuu
09-23-2008, 09:51 AM
at least the news coming out of the columbus roadtrip earlier in the year was slagging the visitors (TFC FANS)......

Now.... the Toronto Media is slagging on us too....

so much for protecting your own.

GATE-13
09-23-2008, 09:51 AM
One Crew fan wrote on the Big Soccer site:
"Toronto is the younger brother that mom (MLS) made us take to the football field with our friends and now we have to play one hand touch instead of tackle because mom "doesn't want Toronto to get hurt."

This is just adding more fuel to the fire and the next time they come up here something more serious may happen to them. Crew bitches.

The Kingpin
09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
"tit for tat as far as I see."

What the hell is "tat" and how do I make the exchange?

Oldtimer
09-23-2008, 09:59 AM
In other MLSE news:

Leafs off to a strong starthttp://www.thestar.com/Hockey/article/504079

We'll see how long THAT lasts. :rolleyes:

jabbronies
09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
One Crew fan wrote on the Big Soccer site:
"Toronto is the younger brother that mom (MLS) made us take to the football field with our friends and now we have to play one hand touch instead of tackle because mom "doesn't want Toronto to get hurt."

hahahaha and Columbus is the mistake that mom made one night on the town in Vegas. Now out of embarressment she keeps him in the cellar and feeds him bread and water.

Martin Groove
09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
"tit for tat as far as I see."

What the hell is "tat" and how do I make the exchange?

i dont know if id exchange that at all, id be much happier with a tit

Phil
09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1209021

They had to suspend an evening football event because of fights in the parking lot in Barrie. I haven't seen much news on that and we are talking multiple combatants.

Carts
09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
The most dissapointing thing here is the Toronto Sun published an article after hearing one side of the story - that's completely irresponsible journalism...

My favourite is the writers own addmission of guilt, (Yesterday the TFC fan in question...contacted me with a somewhat different account of what happened...) yet he does not apologize for his actions... Shouldn't you have gotten the other side of the story before publishing the article Mr. McNulty...???

The editor, who first let the initial story through knowing it covered only one aspect is not doing his/her job at all...

Just another example of the quality (aka LACK OF QUALITY) the Toronto Sun provides...

Carts...

Dave67
09-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Good lord Denime's daily news updates are one of the only highlights left for me on this board and now even those articles are slagging us off. I'd like to hate my 'older brothers' in Kolumbus a little longer, but something tells me that 'older brother' will be dead before it reaches 15 (random meaningless yet hopeful number alert).

Sonny Cheeba
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
the sun's shit and that's that. quoting bigsoccer.com forums is a new low for them.

stretchthetruth
09-23-2008, 11:08 AM
what happened to TFC fans in Columbus was 100x worse than what happened to those fuck twats from america's armpit........

These guys are a fuckin JOKE!!!!

.... and then the press here blamed us.... go figure...

Hooligan69
09-23-2008, 12:28 PM
the sun's shit and that's that. quoting bigsoccer.com forums is a new low for them.

I laughed when the article referenced bigsoccer.

S_D
09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I am glad the writer at least had the balls to to print the other side. Still no excuse for writing such a one sided story in the first place however.

What I find curious is why the Columbus fans seem intent on causing TFC fans so much grief. Many here couldn't care less about Columbus or it's team, and neither do most people in Columbus (remember the fake attendance debacle).

I think it has a lot to do with the sanctions Columbus fans faced when that MLS video surfaced with the racist shout directed towards one of the players combined with the beer cup tossing and streamers.

Instead of dealing directly with the problems, many were quick to point out some of the incidents involving TFC fans. The way many of them came across as either 1) trying to deflect the scrutiny they were facing by pointing out problems with another team's fans or 2) sounding like the little whining brother who isn't considered responsible enough to do what their older big brother gets to do.

Oldtimer
09-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Instead of dealing directly with the problems, many were quick to point out some of the incidents involving TFC fans.

Not true, they claimed that they were inspired by us throwing streamers. There is a difference.

Broadview
09-23-2008, 01:17 PM
This should have been the article that appeared in the Sunday Sun. Two sides of a story, imagine that. Where Clarkson's item was sensationalism worthy of the National Post, Mcnulty's smacks of journalism. He wins some points in my book.

Angelo1405
09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
crew fans got "HOOLIGANS" under their name, then act like hippies to a newspaper. They dont even DO Hooliganism...just for that, i wanna see some MLS hooliganism to show them something North America hasnt seen before....:) hahaha. no really...

James Oliphant
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Did pretty much everyone miss the fact that Dean McNulty was defending us?

Because he was...getting the other side of the story out there.

denime
09-23-2008, 01:30 PM

I think he did defend us,with this article.For some reason many of us think differently.:noidea:

S_D
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I am sure they were inspired by watching the streamers fly. Houston was doing it too. Even Garber loved it.

But when that Columbus fan crossed the line with the racist insult (and at the same game there were beer cups flying, streamers and even a rumour of a banana being thrown at a black player that was later proved not to have happened) the hammer came down on them by their FO (and MLS). In addition to trying to find out who droppped the n-bomb, soon after there were bans on streamers, threatened ejection on beer tossing (rightly so) all kind of got wrapped together.

But after that incident on one of the BS columbus fans racism threads (and there were many!), there were quite a few posts about TFC fans still doing it, some beer cups getting tossed, it wasn't right that they were still doing it blah blah... the whining was getting tiring to say the least.

Had the racist incident not happened I believe that streamers would not have been an issue today. Many Columbus fans are still bitter about it, and some of their hatred has been directed at TFC fans. (well pissing on a fence I guess can be added to what TFC fans have done to Columbus :D)

It is all a crock as far as I am concerned as Columbus means nothing to me.

But I am concerned with the media trying to create a big story out of a minor incident. I guess when there aren't enough Leaf stories to fill the sports section they try and find something else to sensationalize in order to sell papers.

Phil
09-23-2008, 03:03 PM

I agree, it was a good counterpoint to the previous article. It just amazes me how bigger issues in sports keep getting missed like that Barrie article that I posted.

Cuchulain
09-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Where can I read the original article?

gardooney
09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Where can I read the original article?
I think I still have the paper in the garage I will bring it for you tommorrow at Eg west Stn. Brian.

Cuchulain
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I think I still have the paper in the garage I will bring it for you tommorrow at Eg west Stn. Brian.

Thanks, bro. Thanks for that pin today,too.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Count on the Toronto Sun to publish an article like that. Not only was it poorly written, like all Sun articles it draws broad conclusions from virtually non-existent evidence. Clearly, the testimony of one TFC fan and a bunch of Crew fans is grounds for slagging off all TFC supporters. I literally laughed out loud when he quoted a Big Soccer post, the cesspool of online football discussion. If that's where this 'journalist' goes for stories...

ricciboy
09-23-2008, 09:58 PM
who reads the sun?

James Oliphant
09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Count on the Toronto Sun to publish an article like that. Not only was it poorly written, like all Sun articles it draws broad conclusions from virtually non-existent evidence. Clearly, the testimony of one TFC fan and a bunch of Crew fans is grounds for slagging off all TFC supporters. I literally laughed out loud when he quoted a Big Soccer post, the cesspool of online football discussion. If that's where this 'journalist' goes for stories...

Dude...read the article again. He defended TFC fans by telling our side of the story. Something that wasn't done on Sunday by his colleague.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-23-2008, 11:08 PM
I can see that he did in a way, but he didn't do it very well. And he didn't exactly have the greatest sources. :p