PDA

View Full Version : Whats Next for Beckham???

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
So...Here we are POST rookie season for Becks and Co.

I would like to know what peoples thoughts are on Becks, the effect he has had on the league, and where do you think its going to go from here??

Business lessons from David Beckham

Ian Portsmouth
PROFIT magazine

1. Lead by example. Beckham's dedication to training is almost as legendary as his right foot. Such hard work has earned Beckham the captaincies of Manchester United and England, and the respect and loyalty of his teammates.

2. Have a succession plan. Aware that his best playing years were coming to a close, in 2003 Beckham hired 19 Entertainment, a show-biz agency run by American Idol creator Simon Fuller, to help secure his future. It was Fuller, rather than a traditional sports agent, who landed Beckham's US$250-million deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy.

3. Never say never. Upon signing with L.A. while still a member of Real Madrid, Beckham was told he'd never play for the team again and was banned from the training ground. So, Beckham hired trainers and practiced on his own until injuries to teammates forced the coach to put him back in the lineup. Real went on to win the league.

4. Resiliency is everything. Setbacks lie between every business and success. Beckham's many comebacks have included his Real Madrid rebound, his recent return to his national team and overcoming the fan backlash spurred by his ejection from a 1998 World Cup playoff match that England went on to lose.

5. Stick to your knitting. Beckham makes his money by doing what he does well — playing soccer and pitching products — so don't expect to see him at the movieplex soon. Despite his move to Hollywood and the numerous roles he has been offered, Beckham says he's too "stiff" to be a successful actor.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
is this news? ;)

ensco
09-22-2008, 12:38 PM
6. Keep your options open. He can opt out of his Galaxy contract December 31.

Azerban
09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Becomes player-manager, changes playing wage to 20k, makes his manager wage 50 million a year, so LA can have yet another DP.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Becks is always NEWS!! LOL...

Actually, Becks changed his name officially to: CNN Beckham.

Brooker
09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
David Beckham is beyond boring now.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 12:41 PM

SO true, and i think that is very interesting...because i honestly think he might actually be contemplating it!!

Damien
09-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Even if he leaves, the league's gotten out of him what they wanted.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 01:35 PM
But what about off the pitch? Is David Beckham worth a quarter of a billion dollars? Based on the evidence presented in John Carlin’s illuminating White Angels: Beckham, the Real Madrid and the New Football (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html%3FASIN=1582345465%26tag=wristwatchre v-20%26lcode=xm2%26cID=2025%26ccmID=165953%26locatio n=/o/ASIN/1582345465%253FSubscriptionId=0PGFTENCMGR7RZGX6GR2 ), the answer is a resounding yes! Consider these examples from the book:

Real Madrid’s Director of Marketing Jose Angel Sanchez estimated that was worth 500 million euros to the team. That’s $644,913,210 with today’s conversion rate.
“Within a week of Beckham signing for Real Madrid the eighty shops in Singapore that sold the team’s shirts reported they were running out and desperate for more. Adidas Singapore reported that due to Beckham’s arrival they expected to sell forty per cent more Real shirts over the next three months.”
A major Japanese television station snapped up the rights to broadcast Real games and paid “eight million euros for a thirty second spot Beckham did.”
Prior to Beckham’s arrival, Real Madrid charged 1.5 million euros to play an exhibition match in Asia. After his arrival, the going rate was 5 million euros per game. One tour of “two or three games” was to net the team 14.5 million euros.
In 2000/2001, Real Madrid’s income was 138 million euros. In 2003/2004, after Beckham’s signing, the income was 240 million euros. Ticket sales over that same period of time increased 50%.
40,000 people in Ho Chi Minh City filled a stadium to watch Beckham ride around in an open-topped car.
One particular store in Madrid was having trouble selling a particular team tracksuit. Beckham gave an interview in that suit and the store sold 4,000 of the garments within 48 hours of the interview.
In 2003, Real Madrid sold one million shirts with Beckham’s name. More than all the other players on the team combined.
Market research experts proved that Beckham enjoys 90% name recognition in Japan.
Many of the sports media naysayers point out America’s long-standing reticence towards soccer. Quite a few of them bring up memories of Pele and Beckenbauer gracing NASL fields in the late 70’s. They chuckle that if Pele couldn’t inspire soccer madness in America, then how is Beckham going to do it? Well, for one, that argument is worthless because it’s a completely different era today. Go back to the days when Pele was running on a dirt field spray-painted green (as wonderfully recounted in Gavin Newsham’s Once in a Lifetime (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html%3FASIN=1843543753%26tag=wristwatchre v-20%26lcode=xm2%26cID=2025%26ccmID=165953%26locatio n=/o/ASIN/1843543753%253FSubscriptionId=0PGFTENCMGR7RZGX6GR2 )), drive out to the suburbs, and count how many soccer fields in sight. Practically none. But today, more than 20 years after Pele played for the Cosmos, youth soccer fields are everywhere. There is a more receptive, more knowledgeable audience for soccer in 2007 than in 1977.
But even if Beckham fails in his quest to raise the profile of soccer in this country, just the interest (and dollars and yen and euros and rand and so forth) from other countries will still justify his contract. Regardless of how well he plays, attention from all over the globe will follow Beckham and American soccer. And that attention is invaluable. For example, Jesus Gasanz was the president of Audi in Spain when Beckham signed with Real Madrid. There was no advertising, no logos, no posters. Just footage of Beckham and his entourage riding around Madrid in three Audi cars. “If Audi had tried to carry off an equivalent ad campaign — one in which we received so much exposure on prime time TV and on front pages of newspapers in virtually every country in the world — it would have been, quite simply, unpayable,” Gasanz told White Angels author Carlin. “In order to pay for that quality of advertising we would have had to sell the company first! I repeat, what we got during those thirty-six hours was unpayable. Unpayable!”
He might get hurt. He might not score a single goal. He might spend more time on Hollywood movie sets than in free kick sets. But, David Beckham will, undoubtedly, generate more than enough money to pay for his contract.
“Beckham football shirts were for sale, an intrepid English traveller friend of mine reported, in a place remoter still thank Kigali — in an open-air stall in a little town on the northern tip of Madagascar that according to my well-travelled friend fitted the description ‘the end of the earth’ better than anywhere else he knew,” Carlin writes.
So let me give you a challenge. And you don’t even have to travel to remote portions of Africa to do it. Just try to find someone walking down the street in Brooklyn wearing an Alex Rodriguez jersey. Sometimes a quarter of a billion dollars isn’t very well spent, as the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees can tell you. But with Beckham, it’ll be worth it.

Carts
09-22-2008, 01:45 PM
If Beckham doesn't want to do the 4th option in the poll, I'll gladly volunteer... :D

Carts...

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
If Beckham doesn't want to do the 4th option in the poll, I'll gladly volunteer... :D

Carts...

HAHAHAHHAA :hump:

Cashcleaner
09-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I think Beckham will play out his contract with the Galaxy and settle down into a life of sports ownership here in North America. He's got more than enough personal cash to buy his own franchise in MLS, but I think he'll enter a partnership instead with another potential owner.

BC101
09-23-2008, 12:47 AM
I think Jleague is next... and I feel bad for them LOL They have a pretty good league over there but once he goes it'll be a sideshow circus. He better not end up on Osaka.. Who am I kidding i know it'd be Urawa.

Shakes McQueen
09-23-2008, 12:56 AM

If Landycakes leaves, I could conceive of it. Not having a competent foot to put his passes to, would be frustrating for him. I still think it's unlikely, however.

He seems genuinely determined to raise the profile of MLS, though. If he contemplates opting out, they could always just throw more money at him, and redo his contract.

Another option, is MLSE could offer to throw buckets of cash at him to opt out of LA, and sign with us. :D I'm assuming there is a clause in the deal that he can't opt out to go elsewhere in MLS, though.

- Scott