PDA

View Full Version : Expansion decisions could help take MLS to next level

Oldtimer
09-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Expansion decisions could help take MLS to next level
By Pat Martin, MLS EditorNew York, NY (Sports Network) - The decisions made by Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber and the higher-ups in the league office in coming months are going to greatly affect the progress of the United States' top-flight soccer league.

"Clearly with Canada we've got to ensure that we can create a Canadian business with national television partners and national sponsors and broad municipal, political and corporate support," Garber said. "We know that we can create the success locally that exists in Toronto, but we need to ensure that are able to transcend simple fan-following into a viable business.
"We are spending time working on that and ensuring that we can go to market with a new approach, which is not just 11 or 13 MLS teams and one Canadian team, but potentially more American teams but even more Canadian teams. That's something we have been working on for the last number of months."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=240317

Canary Canuck
09-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Garber has never been shy about his admiration of NY2. It's been his pet project for a while now and as long as Wilpon has his house in order I see him getting in ahead of St. Louis and Portland. Garber's pull will go a long way.

rocker
09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Note that Garber says NOBODY has submitted their application yet.
on these boards and others, people are always citing old information to say that some teams have edges over others. But as I expected, teams are consulting with Garber so that they can make their application the best it can be, before submitting next month.
So if Saputo said 6 months ago he planned only a $20 or $30 million expansion of the stadium, that may not be fact today, particularly if Garber advised them on what MLS expects now.

Canary Canuck
09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm wondering just how extensive of an expansion Saputo will need to get in. Some of these bids are going to be darn impressive which will give Garber a lot of leverage with Montreal.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm wondering just how extensive of an expansion Saputo will need to get in. Some of these bids are going to be darn impressive which will give Garber a lot of leverage with Montreal.

Don't u worry....

Gillette and Saputo have more money than u can dream of!! money is no object to those two guys!! they will be in the MLS!! Guaranteed!

Axeman
09-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Come on Ottawa bid, Iwant to be able to see TFC with RPB and just take a local bus to get there!!!

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Come on Ottawa bid, Iwant to be able to see TFC with RPB and just take a local bus to get there!!!

You can do that with Montreal being in the MLS! Trust me Montreal is more of a stable choice than Ottawa!!

Plus it doesn't matter anyways, Vancouver and Montreal will be the next bids to receive the nod.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
You can do that with Montreal being in the MLS! Trust me Montreal is more of a stable choice than Ottawa!!

Plus it doesn't matter anyways, Vancouver and Montreal will be the next bids to receive the nod.

With Ottawas riches don't be so sure....Vancouver is to slow at getting this done....and if it came to Ottawa or Montreal, i would hope the vote would go Ottawas way.

Damien
09-22-2008, 02:59 PM
If Melnyk (Ottawa) doesnt get an MLS team he should at least buy a USL1 team and build a decent stadium.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-22-2008, 03:04 PM
With Ottawas riches don't be so sure....Vancouver is to slow at getting this done....and if it came to Ottawa or Montreal, i would hope the vote would go Ottawas way.

Yeah it would be all nice and dandy if the world was puppy dogs and ice cream....but unfortunately, this deal is revolving around money. MLS wants Vancouver and Montreal to tie in a National Advertising Revenue. Work is already being done to get Montreal and Vancouver in the MLS. Trust me when i tell you this. I've posted some insider info before. Once they iron out some minor details, it will be as good as gold! Also, just to keep some of you in the loop as much as i can, without getting fired...
Some marketing companies here in Canada are working alongside SUM (soccer united marketing) as to how they are gonna frame the 2 new canadian cities and present it to the rest of america... btu again this is just a minor detail...

Broadview
09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
If Melnyk (Ottawa) doesnt get an MLS team he should at least buy a USL1 team and build a decent stadium.

This might be a tough sell...I don't think Ottawa sports fans would want to play second soccer-fiddle to the likes of Toronto and Montreal (if they get in).

It's a great idea though. I've been forming the future Canadian footie league in my head recently and it certainly includes Ottawa. That city's almost as fun to hate as Montreal!

Axeman
09-22-2008, 04:03 PM

I agree(than I could justify myself cheering for both!), but there's one problem, Melnyk would never buy in to USL.

Beach_Red
09-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah it would be all nice and dandy if the world was puppy dogs and ice cream....but unfortunately, this deal is revolving around money.

What else could it possibly revolve around?

So, how big a factor is George Gillett in Montreal and is he officially on board? Without him, that whole situation is pretty iffy.

Canary Canuck
09-22-2008, 04:52 PM
What else could it possibly revolve around?

So, how big a factor is George Gillett in Montreal and is he officially on board? Without him, that whole situation is pretty iffy.

Gillett has twice been on the Fan 590 with McClown saying he's on board with Saputo.

Hugh Jazz
09-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I agree(than I could justify myself cheering for both!), but there's one problem, Melnyk would never buy in to USL.

Has this been confirmed? Having a USL team for a few years has to make it easier to get an MLS franchise.