PDA

View Full Version : Jorge Vergara to turn Chivas USA on its head

Canary Canuck
09-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Vergara plans on implementing an American-only signing policy with Chivas USA to go in line with the Mexican-only signing policy of Chivas Guadalajara and Costa Rican-only signing policy he implemented when he bought Saprissa. This is a complete U-turn from the Mexican focused marketing and promotion that's gone on so far.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2008-09-16-chivas-vergara_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

werewolf
09-21-2008, 12:08 PM
its never going to be seen as popular (in a patriotic way) as Chivas in Mexico as long as they keep that name. Unless its only Mexican-Americans...

Lucky Strike
09-21-2008, 12:15 PM
We know that owners can do whatever they want with their team, but isn't this technically discrimination? Would that bring up any problems for the team? I personally don't take offence but someone else might... Touchy...

werewolf
09-21-2008, 12:23 PM
no one is really applying for a job and being interviewed. Every player is hand-picked to begin with...though it is the USA, I could see someone trying to file a lawsuit...maybe I should tryout for them if they have open tryouts next year, and sue when I don't get picked!

Canary Canuck
09-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Right now, aside from latinos there's barely anybody supporting Chivas USA as it is. They alienated the non-Mexican right off the bat and now this will alienate the Mexican fan.... so what will be left? In LA it's just more cool and popular to support the Galaxy just because of Beckham.

werewolf
09-21-2008, 12:30 PM
maybe now they can move to San Diego and try again...or Miami.

Redcoe15
09-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Perhaps they should just rename the team the Los Angeles Aztecs.

CretanBull
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I expect my team to get the best possible players available regardless of nationality, skin colour, religion etc.

LucaGol
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Its kind of a stupid comment to make by Vergara.

He should say we're going in this direction ... but if a good Mexican talent is available, do you not want him on your team?

Forget what nationality the players on the team are ... just change the name from Chivas USA to San Diego FC or something like that and you've solved your problem.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Its kind of a stupid comment to make by Vergara.

He should say we're going in this direction ... but if a good Mexican talent is available, do you not want him on your team?

Forget what nationality the players on the team are ... just change the name from Chivas USA to San Diego FC or something like that and you've solved your problem.

I suppose it couldn't hurt. Chivas has the smallest subscriber base - approx. 700 season seats sold IIRC.

Canary Canuck
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I think the whole Mexican thing would've worked with Chivas USA had they been able to field an entire team of Mexicans (not Mexican League reserves) and be competitive. The whole reason Chivas Guadalajara is so popular is because of the signing policy making it a de facto national team. Mexicans in LA have little interest in watching a bunch of Americans run around in Chivas jerseys so the whole national pride factor went out the window.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
I think the whole Mexican thing would've worked with Chivas USA had they been able to field an entire team of Mexicans (not Mexican League reserves) and be competitive. The whole reason Chivas Guadalajara is so popular is because of the signing policy making it a de facto national team. Mexicans in LA have little interest in watching a bunch of Americans run around in Chivas jerseys so the whole national pride factor went out the window.

I think Chivas fielded a lot of Mexicans in 2005, but most of those Mexicans were second division players IIRC. Chivas was pretty bad in its inaugural season - worse than TFC last year - so it had to adopt a broader strategy for signing players.

Canary Canuck
09-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah that's why I put "not Mexican League reserves" in brackets in reference to their inaugural season where Vergara thought they'd be sufficient to be competitive. My point is that with the new looser import restrictions with international spots tradeable and a salary cap increase on the way in a year or two it would be possible to field nearly a whole team of Mexicans that could compete in MLS. If they can offer salaries comparable to what the players would be getting in the Mexican league then it's possible. I'm assuming Vergara's come to the conclusion that it's too much of a pain in the ass.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
It would be interesting to know how much money players in the Mexican First Division make. If money's an issue, then Chivas will gain little freedom from MLS's more liberal domestic requirements. A significant salary cap increase would make it a lot easier for Chivas to sign quality Mexican players.

Canary Canuck
09-21-2008, 10:32 PM
It's tough to gauge the Mexican league but from speaking to some people familiar with the league the best players get 7 figures. Unlike most latin american leagues, the Mexican league is an importer of talent and for years has been able to pay high enough salaries to retain all of their national team players. Only recently have the top Mexicans started to head to Europe.

SilverSamurai
09-22-2008, 12:45 AM
We know that owners can do whatever they want with their team, but isn't this technically discrimination? Would that bring up any problems for the team? I personally don't take offence but someone else might... Touchy...
Because theirs really only one ethnic group (well main) what we consider discriminatory here, people wouldn't bat an eye at. Not trying to justify it, just saying this is how it is.

Perhaps they should just rename the team the Los Angeles Aztecs.
LOL :D

It's tough to gauge the Mexican league but from speaking to some people familiar with the league the best players get 7 figures. Unlike most latin american leagues, the Mexican league is an importer of talent and for years has been able to pay high enough salaries to retain all of their national team players. Only recently have the top Mexicans started to head to Europe.
My understanding is that the Mexican league (well main one) is one of, if not the richest outside of Europe. They're not in financial need.

Fort York Redcoat
09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh Chivas USA. Talk about over estimating a market. Leave it to the popularity of 1 Mexican team (sure one of the most popular) then try to field any one type of people on your team when the league has so many restrictions anyway. One good thing to take away from this is that this has this league is superior to the Mexican second division.:)