PDA

View Full Version : Huckerby addition transforms the Earthquakes

werewolf
09-21-2008, 01:41 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=573903&sec=mls&root=mls&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1&cc=5901

Intent on fulfilling his promise, Huckerby looked to MLS. Toronto FC was first to file a discovery claim on Huckerby, giving them dibs. But when San Jose also showed interest, Huckerby opted to throw his lot in with the Quakes, who sent some allocation money to TFC in exchange for his rights. Toronto's unforgiving artificial surface was certainly a factor in Huckerby's decision, but the Englishman indicated that Yallop's track record of success also played a part.

"Coming to a foreign country, I don't really know anybody, and it's nice to know somebody who is a winner," said Huckerby of Yallop. "It's nice to know somebody who [played in England] as well, so he knows what you're going through.

"Toronto is a great place, with great facilities, but I just felt at home here straight away. San Jose is a little bit like Norwich, in that it's kind of quiet, and it's a nice place to live. But it wasn't one thing. It was a bunch of things that added up."

One thing that doesn't appear to add up is Huckerby's salary. While his total yearly compensation of $355,000 puts him just outside the top 10 among MLS players, he could have made four times that much had he stayed in Europe. Yet Huckerby has made a habit of placing other concerns over money.

"Now it's not about the money, but it's easy for me to say that now that I've got a little bit of money behind me," said Huckerby.

"Obviously I've got to earn a living, but I've made choices over the last five or six years that a lot of people wouldn't have made. I've gone away from the money and more for the enjoyment."

That attitude, along with his electric style, has endeared Huckerby to the San Jose fans, who are now facing the real possibility of seeing their expansion side make the playoffs. Yet as fortunate as they feel to be able to witness Huckerby's talent, he feels even luckier.

Huckerby added, "To be a player who started off playing in the Third Division, to playing here in California, it's kind of amazing."

The Kingpin
09-21-2008, 01:52 AM
"...who are now facing the real possibility of seeing their expansion side make the playoffs."

This is the line that gets me. I thought we had to wait years for this type of success, at least this is what everyone keeps telling me. The turf had cost us two of the better players in the league, and they both happened to go to San Jose and make that club a greater success than TFC. I know the complexities with the turf issue, but the reality is simple. As long as TFC has turf, the club will suffer dearly. It is really that plain and simple, make all the annotations or disparaging comments you want, but the facts will remain the same. To me, Huckerby made an excellent decision at this stage of his career, I certainly would not want to play on that turf as well.

nascarguy
09-21-2008, 04:20 AM
artificial surface is starting to look bad i guess the life if our field is one a year and a haft.

Redcoe15
09-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Somebody needs to email this story to Tom Anselmi to show this beancounter what his plastic pitch is costing TFC, if not tattoo this story right onto his forehead.

The Kingpin
09-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Somebody needs to email this story to Tom Anselmi to show this beancounter what his plastic pitch is costing TFC, if not tattoo this story right onto his forehead.

As has been said numerous times, it is a complex issue. But we are also talking about what can only be construed as shrewd business men. If they can't produce grass by next season, they can only be viewed as a failure. But the only individuals they will be failing is the fans, as the revenue will still flow in exponentially and this is why there is no urgency. Anyone who thinks otherwise may want to assess their personal naiveté. I'd be very excited to see the club show this level of dedication to the fans, but I will also keep breathing. Holding my breath will only result in brain damage.

Beach_Red
09-21-2008, 09:36 AM
As has been said numerous times, it is a complex issue. But we are also talking about what can only be construed as shrewd business men. If they can't produce grass by next season, they can only be viewed as a failure. But the only individuals they will be failing is the fans, as the revenue will still flow in exponentially and this is why there is no urgency. Anyone who thinks otherwise may want to assess their personal naiveté. I'd be very excited to see the club show this level of dedication to the fans, but I will also keep breathing. Holding my breath will only result in brain damage.

How many seasons do you think the tickets will keep selling if the team continues to miss the playoffs? This isn't hockey in Toronto. I realize this board isn't representative of the whole fanbase, but the excitement about this team is completely gone. This week there was no talk about the upcoming game at all. Heading into the final six games of the season and the interest in the team is at an all-time low. There could have been an exciting play-off run, a couple decent games against Chivas, beating KC in a week when both NYRB and DCU lost. But they let it all slip away.

Next year Seattle may make the playoffs. Maybe Vancouver or Montreal will win the CCL and go deep in the Champions League. You can be sure Mo is in the MLSE offices pointing out what the Huckerby deal did to San Jose. And how he got them so much money for Edu so they could upgrade the place. It really looks like he's done everything a manager can do (and yet still, he gets very little support here).

MLSE will balance spending money on a team against the past failures of soccer in North America, but by now they can't deny - with big-time sponsorship and $40 million expansion fees - that this league is going places. If they let anything get in the way of bringing in the best possible players, they will blow a chance at some very big profits down the line.

We'll see....

S_D
09-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Interesting that when Huckerby was interviewed on the sidelines at half time when SJ came here Peacock asked him why he didn't sign here and he answered "the turf" without adding anything else.

Edit:

Many can bash MLSE but don't forget the city is making cash too. If their revenue starts dropping they may be more willing to do something as well.

profit89
09-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Huckerby has been great for MLS.

Yohan
09-21-2008, 03:19 PM
If TFC had Huckerby, we'd be in playoffs this year. I'm very bitter about this.

Shakes McQueen
09-21-2008, 05:54 PM

I'd love to go back and see who exactly here was criticizing Mo for looking at Huckerby, because he was "over the hill", and "just another reject from England".

I notice those trolls are oddly silent about him now.

- Scott

kuku
09-21-2008, 06:11 PM
"and it's nice to know somebody who is a winner," said Huckerby of Yallop.

I think this says it all. Our organization is run and coached by a bunch of losers.

Canary Canuck
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Yallop a "winner"?? lol that's a good one. Keep 'em comin!

RPB_Brantford_08
09-21-2008, 08:16 PM

write to the city of Toronto, they own the stadium and are the only ones that can deal with the grass issue not TFC, or MLSE

brad
09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I'd love to go back and see who exactly here was criticizing Mo for looking at Huckerby, because he was "over the hill", and "just another reject from England".

- Scott

Probably the same people saying we should be buying players from South/Central America while complaining that Ruiz and/or Guevera don't chase down every ball all over the pitch.

S_D
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM

- Scott

There were some who said that, sure.

But many of us didn't doubt his abilities, we were concerned about his medical problems when the move to the MLS first surfaced (specifically to TFC), including me.

At the time in the British press there was talk of surgery, and that he was taking some sort of shot on the bench to kill the pain. I can't remember if it was hip or knee, but it sounded serious enough to question the point of signing a player who was 1 step away from the infirmary. Signing someone who was going to take well over 10% of the salary cap with medical conditions is risky to say the least.

He seems to have recovered from whatever he was having problems with and passed his medical when he first signed so good enough. I hope he does well.

FluSH
09-21-2008, 10:24 PM
"...who are now facing the real possibility of seeing their expansion side make the playoffs."

This is the line that gets me. I thought we had to wait years for this type of success, at least this is what everyone keeps telling me. The turf had cost us two of the better players in the league, and they both happened to go to San Jose and make that club a greater success than TFC. I know the complexities with the turf issue, but the reality is simple. As long as TFC has turf, the club will suffer dearly. It is really that plain and simple, make all the annotations or disparaging comments you want, but the facts will remain the same. To me, Huckerby made an excellent decision at this stage of his career, I certainly would not want to play on that turf as well.

I've been one of those few who have always said that this league was wide open for the taking... how else can you explain Columbus this year and Chicago wining the whole enchilada in their first year?

Roogsy
09-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Um...if I am not mistaken...I do believe he has a couple of MLS cups under his belt. What are you looking for? UEFA Champions League cups?

And I think anyone here would agree LA was better off with Yallop than without him.

Fort York Redcoat
09-22-2008, 08:39 AM
One other element was the bit about quiet San Hose. WTF? O'Brien was the same way saying he didn't see what so great about the city. We're on a streak now of losing good players because they're country bumpkins at heart?

Yeah, yeah. And the turf.

Beach_Red
09-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I've been one of those few who have always said that this league was wide open for the taking... how else can you explain Columbus this year and Chicago wining the whole enchilada in their first year?

I'll give you San Jose, but you have to stop with the Chicago crap - every team was an expansion team when they won - the others were just in their second year instead of their first.

Now, this year's Columbus team is really only about two years old, so you have a better argument with that...

ensco
09-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I'll give you San Jose, but you have to stop with the Chicago crap - every team was an expansion team when they won - the others were just in their second year instead of their first.

Now, this year's Columbus team is really only about two years old, so you have a better argument with that...

You're point is right, with one major exception. Maybe the best team in MLS history was the DC team in 1998.

They had the guts of the 1998 USMNT (this was before these guys could get decent gigs in Europe): Eddie Pope, John Harkes, Roy Lassiter, Tony Sanneh, Jeff Agoos

Plus Marco Etcheverry and a young Jaime Moreno.

That team won the CONCACAF Champions Cup in 1998 and then beat the Copa Libertadores winner (Vasco de Gama)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions%27_Cup_1998
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interamerican_Cup

Chicago beat them in the MLS final that year - it was a big upset. DC won it in 1996, 1997 and 1999. They were the class of the league, and this early success is why there's still something different about DC United. They're the NY Yankees of MLS.

Beach_Red
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Chicago beat them in the MLS final that year - it was a big upset. DC won it in 1996, 1997 and 1999. They were the class of the league, and this early success is why there's still something different about DC United. They're the NY Yankees of MLS.

Wow, when you put it like that, it makes me want to pick up this:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Fix-Soccer-And-Organized-Crime-Declan-Hill/9780771041389-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527Declan+Hill%252 7&sterm=Declan+Hill+-+Books

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I argued till i was black and blue with some poeple on here...when i first mentioned....that a GOD from Norwich was on his way to MLS and TFC he was heading!! from ENGLAND!!! and yes....HE IS A GOD to ALL CANARIES FANS!!

The majorty of the people on this board...were crying day in and day out....we dont need another washed up englishman......HAS BEEN.......the rants went on for months and monthS!!

NOt only is he tearing up the league since moving over..from norwich...he's turned an expanion team up side down......and is possibly leading them in to this years payoffs!...

Seriously more people on here need to know what or who they are commenting on before they post about possible signing coming into this team or leauge!

no doubt in my mind....we would of been headed to the post season with him!

ensco
09-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow, when you put it like that, it makes me want to pick up this:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Fix-Soccer-And-Organized-Crime-Declan-Hill/9780771041389-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527Declan+Hill%252 7&sterm=Declan+Hill+-+Books

oh yeah, the southeast asian syndicates drool at the thought of how they're going to work the MLS Cup ;)

Pachuco
09-22-2008, 12:49 PM

- Scott

Is everybody and everything a troll to you? do you even know what the definition of troll means?

Axeman
09-22-2008, 01:09 PM

- Scott

I heard the crap they were saying about him too!
I say bring on the rejects from England!

Axeman
09-22-2008, 01:11 PM

RE: Team Canada Debaucle
Made me laugh too.