PDA

View Full Version : What Should We Do To Get Grass at BMO?

ensco
09-19-2008, 04:12 PM
This got discussed a little bit in yesterday's news thread, but I think it deserves a broader discussion here.

In yesterday's Star (Morgan Campbell):

TFC chief operating officer Tom Anselmi said a new playing surface isn't a priority for the club this year: "It's not something that's hot on the radar," he said. "It's something we've thought about only because we're asked the question."

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/501277

Mo wants grass.
Miller wants grass.
Players wants grass.
DPs want grass.
Fans want grass.

What can we do about this?

(Save the MLSE slagging for another thread - this is an attempt to get this turned around - we're all angry, everyone knows....)

The Kingpin
09-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Buy seeds.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
i think we should go out and BUY ONE ROLL OF SOD.....and throw it on the field on the 27th vs Houston!!...that might get a little attention!!!.....at the stadium....newspapers...On the tube!!

hmmm how do we get it in? :)

Toronto Ruffrider
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
^ That might get Anselmi's attention. Of course, sod is a bit heavy, and there's no guarantee that we'll be able to get any in the stadium. What about green streamers? They might be tough to see on the pitch, but they'd be easily visible on the goal frame at the beginning of the game.

Kickit09
09-19-2008, 05:40 PM
how about a good old fashioned banner or sign even. easy to see, gets the point across, and easy to get in the stadium too.

MisterMacphisto
09-19-2008, 05:44 PM
How much does it cost for that fancy grass / turf hybrid pitch? I say we pass the hat around at the next game and donate the proceeds to poor, financially strapped MLSE and Teacher Union to get the grass done.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 05:51 PM
this grass idea has been done to death, time to let it go...field turf is here for the near future TFC and the fans must get used to the idea and move on.

TFC USA
09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't think you're allowed to smoke marijuana at BMO?

greatwhitenorf
09-20-2008, 02:22 AM
What will it take to get grass at BMO?

In a word.

Hostages.

sweetlemon69
09-20-2008, 07:26 AM
i think we should go out and BUY ONE ROLL OF SOD.....and throw it on the field on the 27th vs Houston!!...that might get a little attention!!!.....at the stadium....newspapers...On the tube!!

SERIOUSLY! This is awwesome!!!!

And ROFL at "Buy seeds' :D :D :D

Oldtimer
09-20-2008, 12:37 PM
this grass idea has been done to death, time to let it go...field turf is here for the near future TFC and the fans must get used to the idea and move on.

NO, we won't let it go. It cost us Huckerby and Ronnie O' (and likely a playoff spot, as well as a CCL spot that we would have gotten were we a little better). There is no way that we will settle for Fieldtulf now that it is costing us quality players, regardless of whether it is a better or worse surface -- the players don't want it, so neither will we.

MisterMacphisto
09-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Never

wzhxvy
09-20-2008, 12:43 PM
We need freaking grass...as simple as that.

Cantstoptherock
09-20-2008, 01:06 PM
And how do they fulfill the requirement that it be used year-round?

Toronto Ruffrider
09-20-2008, 01:38 PM
And how do they fulfill the requirement that it be used year-round?

Build a practice facility to the south of BMO Field and put the bubble over that field instead. The only obstacle in the way is MLSE's penny pinching.

vergilg
09-20-2008, 02:19 PM
How about season ticket holders refuse to renew until grass gets put in, or if that's too drastic for some, call in their offices/write them about the issue and just raise as much attention.

Stage a couple of protests (signs, chants) before the game at the gates - call in a camera crew from any TV station you can find - and just raise awareness.

Stfran168
09-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Everyone roll up a small piece and put it in your crotch, they're not allowed to touch you there, lol

AL-MO
09-20-2008, 03:26 PM

This would be kinda funny! :lol:

Toronto Ruffrider
09-20-2008, 04:07 PM
how about a good old fashioned banner or sign even. easy to see, gets the point across, and easy to get in the stadium too.

How about a banner that is made out of grass? Just take a piece of sod and spray a message into it using white spray paint.

David
09-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Everyone roll up a small piece and put it in your crotch, they're not allowed to touch you there, lol

Could actually work...Everyone brings a small piece in their pocket, doesn't have to be your crotch, i've never been searched going into the stadium before, create a designated time to throw them and their you have it, a shower of grass coming onto the field, it will get attention. Problem is...this is on a public thread and management or cops can be reading this and get prepared for it happening.

druid
09-20-2008, 04:16 PM
How about a new chant:

Anselmi's an ass!
TFC needs Grass!

Anyone who'd like to expand the chant to fill in the (rather substantial) business case for having grass, feel free to run with it. My rhyming skills aren't quite up to it.

AL-MO
09-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Could actually work...Everyone brings a small piece in their pocket, doesn't have to be your crotch, i've never been searched going into the stadium before, create a designated time to throw them and their you have it, a shower of grass coming onto the field, it will get attention. Problem is...this is on a public thread and management or cops can be reading this and get prepared for it happening.

Not can, but ARE.

All this discussion is just for fun anyways.

James Oliphant
09-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Build a practice facility to the south of BMO Field and put the bubble over that field instead. The only obstacle in the way is MLSE's penny pinching.

Sorry mate, but you're high if you think that's the only obstacle.

Or even AN obstacle.

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Haha, it's all so simple!

People here are so adept at spending money that isn't theirs. :D

I'm all for a banner saying we want grass, but we need to be reasonable about the time frame in which we can expect the grass to get put down.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Sorry mate, but you're high if you think that's the only obstacle.

Or even AN obstacle.

Agreed.

- Scott

Red CB Toronto
09-20-2008, 05:37 PM
MLSE has been a very successful as a business and they make decisions based on the bottom line, there is a high profit business, as this point there is no financial benefit for them to put in grass if they are the ones paying for it.

In reality and I know some of you are not going to like this fact, TFC is a secondary business for them at this point.

wzhxvy
09-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Why dont we throw some grass into the TV, and GM booths as well...they are pretty accessible from 223 lol

TheRenter
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
MLSE has been a very successful as a business and they make decisions based on the bottom line, there is a high profit business, as this point there is no financial benefit for them to put in grass if they are the ones paying for it.

In reality and I know some of you are not going to like this fact, TFC is a secondary business for them at this point.

BS....that's the same short-sighted crap you'd hear from an MLSE rep/publicist. How hard is it to understand:

wealth begets wealth...therefore if you spend the money it will put more money in your pocket in the long run. So look at the god damn big picture; grass=better players=better product=successful club=playoffs=championships=more games=increased merchandise sales=increased stadium/concession sales=greater revenues for ml$e

and if you think for one moment that tfc and its supporters will allow themselves to become like the leafs it won't...we won't stand for it the same

rant over

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Toronto FC has been profitable for one season. While I agree that we need grass to be successful long-term, that doesn't change the fact that the team is scarcely two years old, and this is still very much a venture investment for MLSE.

We will get everything we need, in time.

With that in mind, I'm all for banners saying we want grass. Nothing wrong with the usual push-shove between fans and management.

- Scott

greatwhitenorf
09-20-2008, 10:14 PM
What gets up my nose is having TFC account reps calling up to remind me to renew my seats and saying that TFC are going to have a big name superstar signing for next year.

Like Fcuk! What decent player is going to break faith with conventional wisdon and come to Toronto to play on plastic. Within the coming season, only us and New England will play on plastic. Everyone else will have grass.

You can promise us that you'll sign big-name players all you want, but until the most basic element is put in place - Tom Jones brand Green, Green Grass - it's a complete load of twaddle.

And people wonder why our away form sucks so badly. We have no clue how to play on grass anymore.

Interesting, too, that TFC are going through account reps like shit through a goose. I'm on my fifth different rep and this poor just-outta-skule boy hasn't got a klue about what makes the team tick. Chatted with a departed rep and it's not all sunshine and roses within TFC. Which is par for the course at MLSE in general.

A complete shambles, on and off the field. Go on, Tom Anselmi, bend over and take a big, long bow.

Captain Croatia
09-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Toss flares on the turf :)

greatwhitenorf
09-20-2008, 10:17 PM
It's a witch! BURN IT!!

Beach_Red
09-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Not can, but ARE.

All this discussion is just for fun anyways.

Yes, just for fun.

But wouldn't packages of grass seed fly like frisbees?

nascarguy
09-20-2008, 10:26 PM
yeah

ElvistheEvilScotsman
09-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Speaking of account rep changes. I got an email stating that my rep Matt O'Brien was moving up the food chain and I would be having a new rep assigned to me shortly. I have yet to hear anything else since and its been about a month.

So why is there discontent amongst the reps? My guess is MLSE is screwing with commissions.

I think its a disgrace they are using a blind promise of signing big player next year to renew tickets.

I'd like to see TFC actually invest some of the 2 mill they bagged in the Edu deal. Say on something like... GRASS!

iansmcl
09-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Maybe we should all bring small pieces of grass and put it in the stands... grass instead of metal. I don't know about you guys but the metal hurts my knees...

... ?

Red Skies At Night
09-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Maybe we should all bring small pieces of grass and put it in the stands... grass instead of metal. I don't know about you guys but the metal hurts my knees...

... ?

Then try standing.

BuSaPuNk
09-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Realistically they will put grass in. I know MLSE they do happen to listen to the fans every now and again. Banner or chant is really the only logical way to show our displeasure. However I do like that throw pieces of sod on the field. lol.

What about a quiet protest. No signs. No nothing. Next home game all of the southend sits and doesn't do a thing but sit on there asses? Kill the atmosphere that MLSE prides itself on?

jabbronies
09-21-2008, 02:29 PM
What about a quiet protest. No signs. No nothing. Next home game all of the southend sits and doesn't do a thing but sit on there asses? Kill the atmosphere that MLSE prides itself on?

No no no. I hate silent protests. It kills the gameday experience for me. Lots and lots of banners - Newcastle style.

Banners everywhere that say we need grass.

wzhxvy
09-21-2008, 02:51 PM
^ I agree...lets do something that does not impact our enjoyment of the game but sends a message/slightly embarasses MLSE. Knowing MLSE though, if we do a ton of banners and flags, they will ban any banners with non TFC appropriate messaging the next time around...

Kickit09
09-21-2008, 04:40 PM
if the entire turf field were to mysteriously burn in the off-season, i wonder what would they replace it with.

:ihih:

David
09-21-2008, 05:48 PM
No no no. I hate silent protests. It kills the gameday experience for me. Lots and lots of banners - Newcastle style.

Sometimes you need to make sacrifices to get what you want. Though i think silent protests are innefective, walking out leaving banners on the seats that say something to implement the thought of we'll come back when there's grass would be more effective, and it wouldn't have to be for the whole game if people wouldn't be up for that. Chanting can only do so much, however if we can co-ordinate and commit a loud enough, straint to the point chant that is loud enough and long enough to not only be heard throughout the stadium but on TV that would be something easy to do. Thorwing grass seeds and pieces of sod would be slightly more intimidating but i don't know how many people would go along with that, plus i don't think it would be any more effective then any other thing that we can do, only more creative. If we created enough banners to hang on every other rail of the east side, visible by the cameras that would really do the trick as well. There's enough things that we can do to push grass being laid down in BMO it's just a matter of everyone's committment to the issue, and not everyone is on board with it. There are many people who put the issue of getting management in order first, before grass. And people who think that once we get a grass pitch it can just turn to shit and then we'll have an eyesore pitch to watch everytime we go to the games.

BuSaPuNk
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM

I agree just a thought. Banners are most likey what we can do. What about a section wide pull up banner? Too much too soon?

Or what about the entire southend wearing green shirts for the opening of the game? With banners all around the southend?

Shakes McQueen
09-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I agree just a thought. Banners are most likey what we can do. What about a section wide pull up banner? Too much too soon?

Or what about the entire southend wearing green shirts for the opening of the game? With banners all around the southend?

Green shirts arent poignant enough. I think a section wide banner would be brilliant, as it would 99.9% ensure that Nigel and Jason talk about it on air. Not to mention that everyoen would know what we were talking about.

- Scott

brad
09-21-2008, 08:21 PM
What can you do?

1)Empty the South End in protest. Not like that will happen, but it will send a message - here's what BMO is like with no atmosphere.

2)Don't renew you season tickets. Sure other people will grab them, but that's you ultimate power as a consumer - don't buy the product.

nascarguy
09-22-2008, 12:04 AM
What can you do?

1)Empty the South End in protest. Not like that will happen, but it will send a message - here's what BMO is like with no atmosphere.

2)Don't renew you season tickets. Sure other people will grab them, but that's you ultimate power as a consumer - don't buy the product.

it not going to work so get over every protest will try to do allways fails that is way banners work better

Blazer
09-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Banner the fuck outta the joint! Banners on top of banners. Bannermania!

http://www.bannermania.netsons.org/logo/logobannermania.gif

Red CB Toronto
09-22-2008, 12:16 AM
I think everyone should show what you can do with real grass and smoke up in the stadium and put on a Red Patch Sex Boys show, hey that was a joke, but lets get real, we are all fans of this team and should enjoy it for what it is, a fun time out with friends, I learned long time ago not let things you can not control get to you, in sport, you win and you lose.

BuSaPuNk
09-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Green shirts arent poignant enough. I think a section wide banner would be brilliant, as it would 99.9% ensure that Nigel and Jason talk about it on air. Not to mention that everyoen would know what we were talking about.

- Scott

Yeah I agree banners are probably the most eaisiest to do. Let's get it done. What about a open letter from Mayor Miller? Letting MLSE and the CSA know what is the issues with putting grass in BMO?

Carts
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
4 banners... All hung across the gap between 111-112...

PLAYERS WANT GRASS!
FANS WANT GRASS!
MAYOR WANTS GRASS!
WE NEED GRASS!

They'll either get it, or think we're all stoned out pot heads... LOL

Carts..

TicTacTabarnack
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I say we just throw a bunch of these baggies with our message at the same time!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2878676703_6ea5e6a153.jpg

David_Oliveira
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
How about we pass bags of grass seeds to people before the game with Carts 4 phrases on it and have the banners in the gap. Or a simple TFC GET OF YOUR ASS!! WE ALL FUCKING GRASS chant

Parkdale
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m72/gregflynn/blog/astroturf.gif

We make a banner on a roll of astrotuf!

boomcha
09-22-2008, 12:11 PM
4 banners... All hung across the gap between 111-112...

PLAYERS WANT GRASS!
FANS WANT GRASS!
MAYOR WANTS GRASS!
WE NEED GRASS!

Really like this idea!

gtaguy
09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
how about we all wear green shirts for the last game of the season at BMO..
IF ALL THOSE FRONT OFFICE TYPES SEE A SEA OF GREEN THEN THEY WILL KNOW THAT WE GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE TEAM AND THE ONGOINGS THAT ARE AFFECTING OUR SIGNING GOOD QUALITY PLAYERS.

ADD the banners, green stringers .. green beer anything green will work.. TO GET OUR POINT ACROSS

ensco
09-22-2008, 12:44 PM
We could wear chia-heads....

http://www.buying-chia-pets.com/chia-heads.html

Hitcho
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
I've never once been called by a ticket rep - what do they call about apart from renewals?

As for how to get something done about the grass, the most effective thing we can do is raise the profile of the issue. "It's something we've thought about only because we're asked the question." Ok - so let's give them something to think about. Banners is a good start - big ones. And chanting, lots of chanting at every game from now to the end of the season.

WE WANT GRASS!!!!
WE WANT GRASS!!!!
WE WANT GRASS!!!

Etc, over and over. Pick a time, I'd go for around the hour mark when the team is likely down and people are feeling pissed off about stuff, and just chant we want grass for a good five minutes. If enough fans make a stink about it, Anselmi will at least have to think abotu the issue, and that's our major goal frankly - get it on the agenda.

Hitcho
09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
how about we all wear green shirts for the last game of the season at BMO..
IF ALL THOSE FRONT OFFICE TYPES SEE A SEA OF GREEN THEN THEY WILL KNOW THAT WE GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE TEAM AND THE ONGOINGS THAT ARE AFFECTING OUR SIGNING GOOD QUALITY PLAYERS.

ADD the banners, green stringers .. green beer anything green will work.. TO GET OUR POINT ACROSS

Carlsberg would fucking love this, which is a good reason nto to do it in my book...

NateDoGG
09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Everyone should wear green at the last home game and chant "WE WANT WEED WE WANT WEED!!"

Hitcho
09-22-2008, 02:54 PM
If we go for a silent protest, how the fuck is anyone going to know what we're protesting about?! It could be anything!

There was a chant that sprang up last season while we were waiting for our first ever goal:

all we are saaaaaaaaaaaaying
is give us a goal

It annoyed the hell out of me, but it was effective because it was simple, people knew the tune and it caught on. not just in the south end but everywhere from what I could tell. I'm sure if we started singing

all we are saaaaaaaaaaaaaaying
is give us some grass

it would catch on again. whenever the game/crowd goes quiet, get it going, every game, until the MLSE suits get so annoyed with us they do it just to shut us up!!!!!

gtaguy
09-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Carlsberg would fucking love this, which is a good reason nto to do it in my book...

damn i never thought about that..

how about we all bring some of that smelly grass our hippy parents have been storing in their freezer for the past 30 to 40 years and make
clouds of smoke... :D

then we have banners that say

"grass is also to play on, not only to smoke"

scots17
09-22-2008, 03:57 PM
idea...remember when everyone threw the frisbees onto the field how incredible it looked???

EVERYONE go and buy one pack of grass seed from a garden center...and at a certain time, we all throw them up and see where they land...they won't hurt anyone and would be eye catching as they are in those little white packets!!!

watch them flutter down like little helicopters to the pitch!!! LOL:noidea:

the crew will pick them up and realize that they were 20,000 packages of grass seed!!!! hehehe

Don Julio
09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
We got goal problems,
I got news for you son,
We got 99 problems
and the pitch is one!

Pendrith
09-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I have been informed by MLSE staff that they are working behind the scenes to have real grass installed at BMO. The stumbling blocks is the Provincial and Federal goverments who funded the stadium on the understanding that there would be community use of the facility. Obviously, if grass is installed, the community portion will be greatly reduced. To remedy the situation, MLSE is prepared to do the follwing:

Instal a grass field at BMO at a cost of 2 million
Construct a new practice facility in Toronto at a cost of 10 million. The practice facility would replace BMO for the community use which hopefully would satisfy the City, Provincial and Federal governments.
Mayor Miller is behind the scenes with MLSE to ensure that this happens sooner rather than later.

MLSE are also willing to expand BMO in the future but they will not do it unless they receive guanratees that the Argonauts will not be able to move into BMO.

wzhxvy
09-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I have been informed by MLSE staff that they are working behind the scenes to have real grass installed at BMO. The stumbling blocks is the Provincial and Federal goverments who funded the stadium on the understanding that there would be community use of the facility. Obviously, if grass is installed, the community portion will be greatly reduced. To remedy the situation, MLSE is prepared to do the follwing:

Instal a grass field at BMO at a cost of 2 million
Construct a new practice facility in Toronto at a cost of 10 million. The practice facility would replace BMO for the community use which hopefully would satisfy the City, Provincial and Federal governments.
Mayor Miller is behind the scenes with MLSE to ensure that this happens sooner rather than later.

MLSE are also willing to expand BMO in the future but they will not do it unless they receive guanratees that the Argonauts will not be able to move into BMO.

I hope that is true because that would be indeed positive...how does that match up to Ansalami's "not a priority" comment ?

Pendrith
09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
TFC is going behind the scenes to get this done. Publicly they say its not a priority but in reality it is one of their top priorities but they have to play the game with the three levels of government.

wzhxvy
09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok great I hope you have some good sources. The only part that I would logically question is MLSE investing 10M in a practice facility and not expecting the government to fund an expansion of BMO..if I was MLSE that would have to be part of the deal so I get a return on my $10M.

Pendrith
09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
They will do it because the franchise value will increase with a winning team, a larger stadium and a grass pitch. It's now worth 50 mil according to Firbes and it cost MLS 10 mil. Who's to say that in a few years i won't be valued at 100 mil.

backbeat
09-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I think:

1. 4 GREEN banners... All hung across the gap between 111-112...

PLAYERS WANT GRASS!
FANS WANT GRASS!
MAYOR WANTS GRASS!
WE NEED GRASS!

2. Wear GREEN
3. Throw GREEN

4. Bring a piece of GREEN SOD to the game

All three – can you imagine if everybody did this? I know security would confiscate the GREEN SOD but sod it who cares – they’d have to do something with thousands of pieces of GREEN SOD – if you could get that many doing it that would definitely make a statement.

Hell we're into a GREEN federal election theme - fits with the environment -

I say VOTE GREEN and SOD it all!!

ricciboy
09-22-2008, 10:37 PM
get grass

ensco
09-23-2008, 06:48 AM
I hope that is true because that would be indeed positive...how does that match up to Ansalami's "not a priority" comment ?

I agree with this.

I'd like the above "source" to be true, but why would Anselmi have said what he did? He went out of his way to spike the grass story....believe me, everyone at MLSE knows how to say nothing to the press. That was more than saying nothing.

mlsintoronto...I see you popped up today elsewhere. Comment? :)

fetajr
09-23-2008, 08:09 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing

togetherness
09-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Or at least everyone big a Bag of grass seed .. and throw it like confetti

would be funny !!

fetajr
09-23-2008, 08:20 AM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/28d26533c8.jpg

CHANT:

We Want Real Grass
...you cheap fucks!
We Want Real Grass
...you cheap fucks!
We Want Real Grass
...you cheap fucks!

chanted exactly like raptors fans did against vince carter
lets go Raptors
.... V-C sucks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLZfxoNvM6A

joel
09-23-2008, 09:59 AM
You guys are funny, how about you protest how bad the team is playing? Grass and a DP isn't going to make this team successful if the lot of them keep playing like this!

J .
09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
streak the field.... everyone last gamed. off with the knickers and on with the freedom!

ricciboy
09-23-2008, 02:49 PM
i wish..

ricciboy
09-23-2008, 02:54 PM
make a grass chant

we want grass
you cheap fucks
we want grass
you cheap fucks