PDA

View Full Version : TFC Playoff HUNT 6pts or 3pts out??

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Ive been hearing 6 points all week ...

Accoring to the table....and MLS playoff format...it looks like 3points out?

The top two teams in each conference qualify and are seeded 1 & 2 in their respective four-team playoff conference brackets.
The four MLS teams with the next most points, regardless of conference, receive “wildcard” berths.

Wild card spots as of now!

NYRB 35 pts
DCU 33 pts
RSL 31 pts
Chiv 30 pts

Chivas USA holds the last BIrth at 30pts...

TFC sit at 27!

3pts?

correct?:yum:

Bluenose13
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
^^It's the top 3 teams + the next best 2

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 12:42 PM

hmm i was getting those rules right off mls site?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 12:43 PM
MLS Cup Playoffs: Who Qualifies?

Eight teams will qualify for the playoffs - the top two teams in each conference plus the remaining four teams, regardless of conference, that have the most points in the standings upon the completion of the their 30-game regular season.
PLAYOFFS DETAILS

Playoff berths will be determined by points in the standings upon the completion of the regular season on Oct. 21; all 13 teams will have played 30 games. If two teams are tied on points, the first tiebreaker is head-to-head results, the second tiebreaker is goal differential, and the third is goals scored for the season. (Subsequent tiebreakers are available in the Fact and Record Book).
The top two teams in each conference qualify and are seeded 1 & 2 in their respective four-team playoff conference brackets.
The four MLS teams with the next most points, regardless of conference, receive “wildcard” berths.

• The four wildcard teams will be seeded according to conference first.

• If more than four teams qualify from one conference, those finishing lower than fourth in their conference will shift over to the other conference bracket.

• A team switching conference brackets will be seeded below all other teams in its new conference playoff bracket.

Beach_Red
09-19-2008, 12:45 PM

Right, so the wild cards right now are NYRB - 35 pts and DCU - 33 pts.

NY lost yesterday.

TFC has 27 pts with games remaining against; KC, Houston, NY, Dallas, Chicago and SJ.

So, there's still plenty of season left.

Flashman
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
That would be last year's playoff format. They changed it to the top 3 teams in each conference for this season.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
ok....the rules..changed this year...it went from the top 2 in each to the top 3 in each...!

Must be another LA rule brought in to help there chances!!

fak!

Who Qualifies: Eight teams qualify for the 2008 MLS Cup Playoffs. Playoff berths will be determined by points in the standings upon the completion of the regular season. All 14 teams will have played 30 games.

The top three teams in each conference qualify and are seeded 1, 2 & 3 in their respective four-team playoff conference brackets.
The two MLS teams with the next most points, regardless of conference, receive "wildcard" berths.
The two wildcard teams will be seeded according to conference first.
If more than four teams qualify from one conference, the team finishing lower than fourth in its conference will shift over to the other conference bracket.
A team switching conference brackets will be seeded below all other teams in its new conference playoff bracket.

Bluenose13
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
hmm i was getting those rules right off mls site?
I like your rules better than mine, are you sure that's for this year ?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
looks like we need a big win for LA over DCU this weekend!!

with a win for us of course!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I like your rules better than mine, are you sure that's for this year ?

yea they changed it....

Must be another LA rule brought in to help there chances!! ;)

need BEcks magic this weekend...!

BuSaPuNk
09-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah we need a big road win in KC tommarow. And a little help from Becks magic boots. Let's go you reds!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah we need a big road win in KC tommarow. And a little help from Becks magic boots. Let's go you reds!!

would defintly get us back in...

with next week DCU playing on the road again in dallas.....and us at home vs Houston

never know!

Need to beat KC!! :)

Toronto Ruffrider
09-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Nothing in MLS can ever be transparent or clear. Even the MLS site is either dated at times. We need six points in order to catch DC for the last playoff spot. We've got our work cut out for us, especially away from home.

I hope the league gets rid of the divisional standings for next season. A single table would be much easier to keep straight!

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Nothing in MLS can ever be transparent or clear. Even the MLS site is either dated at times. We need six points in order to catch DC for the last playoff spot. We've got our work cut out for us, especially away from home.

I hope the league gets rid of the divisional standings for next season. A single table would be much easier to keep straight!

a single table and our season would have been done a while ago...